Closed due to Mountain Lions?!?

Dave_W6DPS

One of my cachesis at the head of a trail recently closed due to mountain lion concerns. The folks around San Juan Capistrano are very concerned since it looks like 2 or 3 of the cats have come down out of the local hills looking for food and/or water.

Usually the encounters with wildlife are among the positive aspects of geocaching. It may be that isn't always the case!

The closures and coverage have been in the OC Register and on KCAL 9 news.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

sigavatar.gif

Wolves have been re-introduced to our area. Recently I filled out a questionaire on them. The questions were all variations of "how should we go about shutting things down now that we have wolves knowing that people will still hike in the woods?"

The slant was clear and I ended up using "other" a lot on the survey to actually say what I thought.

Sounds like they think along the same lines in your neck of the woods.

It's easy to get into thinking about conspiracies with this stuff. But I believe the actual motivation is more about keeping us from having any confrontation that might result in one of these beloved predators being killed in self defense. For that to make sense, you have to remember that to some folks, animals have *more* rights than humans. It's really not *our* safety that is being addressed here.

RK - who put out that questionaire?

"...clear as mud?"

We actually outlawed the management of mountain lions here in California. There was a ballot initiative a couple of elections back to change that--it was defeated by a landslide.

Now the cats are coming down out of the hills and eating pets, even stalking larger animals, and sometimes threatening people again. A few years ago one of the regional parks a few miles East of San Juan Capistrano was closed to children and women were warned not to hike alone after a woman was killed by a mountain lion.

Usually it is that cats who die after encountering people. Since Fish & Game isnot allowed to crop them or set hunting limits, it has started happening in the suburbs.

I guess this makes sense to someone.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

sigavatar.gif

Interesting story, I can imagine how a Mountain Lion would set an urban area into panic. I've been seeing alot more wildlife in our growing rural/suburban community. I live about an hour from NYC and I had a bobcat in my backyard last month...a Mtn Lion definitely would have been more intimidating. I caught a pic of this guy... afterwards I had my son stand next to the tree where the bobcat was and cut and pasted him into the photo to give some size reference. He was about 70 yards away so we could hardly make out what it was till he took off and saw the stubby tail... even then I wasn't certain till I downloaded the pic with 10x zoom.. then I was convinced.

tomandbobcat3.jpg

I went to hide a cache in a wildlife area, but as I walked to the trail head the sign said " alligator breeding in progress trail closed". I decided to come back another day. If you have ever seen a bull gator defending his harem then you what a danger thwild animals can be.

t

quote:
Originally posted by StarshipTrooper:

quote:
Originally posted by HardCache:

Personally, I'd like to see large predators purposely introduced into areas overpopulated with vermin...say, wealthy suburbs...executive boardrooms...Washington, D.C.

icon_biggrin.gif

LOL! Don't forget UC Berkley.

Charming.

evilrooster (BA in Latin, UCB, 1992)

http://www.bookweb.sunpig.com

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

I took my son (9) and his friend (10) caching this weekend while we were on vacation. After walking for a mile down a trail, we saw a sign that said "Gator Lake ->". We looked, and, sure enough, there was an alligator floating around not too far from shore.

We thought it was really cool and the highlight of the trip (the cache was nice, too). However, when we got back to the rental house, my wife and the other boy's mom weren't nearly as happy about us running across a gator while caching. Go figure icon_eek.gif

BTW, my grandmother fed a bobcat on her backporch for several months (in North Alabama). It starting coming up when it was small and she thought it was just another stray cat, but it kept getting bigger and bigger.

--

stream of did I lock the front door? consciousness

I came across a mountain lion on a trail right here in suburban CT one year with a friend of mine. We said nothing to anyone about his location, since we didn't want him hunted down and killed. Biggest cat I ever saw. He was sunning himself peacefully on a rock, and looked at us with an annoyed "you interrupted my nap" look and got up, turned around and loped off in the other direction, in no hurry. So we decided to follow him. 10 feet into the low growth under the power lines and tiny deer ticks were jumping on us by the tens. We ran kicking and screaming and pulling them off as fast as we could. Mountain Lion, no big deal, Ticks, AAAUUUGH!

This year I came upon a trail closed due to Osprey nesting, they will attack. Another friend of mine was attacked by one while mountain biking, in the woods near his house. He had to get under his bike and poke at the bird with a stick through the spokes. He was pretty frightened at the time. The bird came down at him several times. They don't like people in their territory while nesting is going on.

Planet

Not geocaching related but thread related...

I was a police officer in a very small town in north central massachusetts for a time. One day while on patrol I received a call to respond to a bear on Central St. Well sure enough they weren't kidding, I arrived to find a 150 pound or so black bear hanging out down town (maybe it was the sale at the grocery store) Only issue was, I was on Mountain Bike Patrol. As I approache he wandered off the other way. I followed behind and shooed him along (from a distance) until he made it safely back into the woods.

quote:
Originally posted by PilotMan:

quote:

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

I must say that quote is quite amusing, however, I love my Mac and would not toss it out of a window. icon_frown.gif

No offense to the Mac users. One of the first computers I had was an Apple //e, after that a Mac SE. Now all I use is PC's, but I've been impressed with what Apple is doing with their newest G5's & some of the other consumer electronics they are selling. Wonder what the world would be like if Apple would have let the clones sell like IBM did with Compaq & the rest instead of squashing all the other companies that started making Mac clones?

BTW, the park has had that sign up for several years and it has never been closed due to any wild animals, only due to fire earlier this year in the very South section that is not used as much as the rest. I have been a little wary while looking for geocaches back in the little used sections though.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo