Cache needs maint.... what to do with wet log...?

FiddleKate

Found our 3rd cache today. (Really having fun with this! And thank you all for the wonderful ideas and answers in these forum posts!!!)

The cache was wet...ants and debris inside...it was a lock-n-lock but must have been left partially open.

We didn't have much with us to clean it up so I posted a "Needs maintenance" however when I looked at the profile of the cache owner...he only has the one cache and hasn't found any caches since 2009.

I hope he will get the notice and fix it up... but I wouldn't mind going back in a day or two to replace the log... clean it all out...put in new swag, etc.

Here is my question.... If I replace a wet log..... should I dry it out and put it back later? Do cache owners want the original log... or does it matter?

Thanks again for your help!

The "NM" post is the right move. Now the ball is in the owner's court to take action. If not, the ball goes over to the reviewer to consider archiving.

Most people say a little help with the cache by others is okay, but don't overstep your bounds, and in this case the owner may be gone and the cache has many serious problems.

The "NM" post is the right move. Now the ball is in the owner's court to take action. If not, the ball goes over to the reviewer to consider archiving.

Most people say a little help with the cache by others is okay, but don't overstep your bounds, and in this case the owner may be gone and the cache has many serious problems.

+1

Here is my question.... If I replace a wet log..... should I dry it out and put it back later? Do cache owners want the original log... or does it matter?

It matters... at least enough for you to attempt contact with them.

We here, don't count. It's what the CO wants that counts. The log is theirs, it belongs to them.

Some want to keep it, some don't.

Now, getting a response from the CO... that may be a different matter if they have abandoned geocaching. But there is no way you would really know for sure. Maybe they are recovering from surgery, recovering from an extended illness or may have even quit altogether. You just don't know.

At least make the attempt to contact.

The CO hasn't cached since 3/09 and hasn't logged in since 7/11 (almost two years ago).

NM was the way to go with this one, but if it was me, I'd make no attempts to fix it.

Replacing a damp log is one thing, but a complete redo should really be part of the CO's maintenance plan.

It's been fixed before by well-meaning folks, probably not noticing an absent CO, when really it should have had a NM a while ago.

If you're close by, you could put it on your watchlist and in another Month place a NA on it, if no response by the CO.

Or, you could fix it, sending the CO an email of what you did and ask what he'd like done with the log.

- But now that you placed a NM, that little red NM wrench stays with the cache until/if the (long absent) CO removes it.

If you really want to help, you could pick up the geolitter that will probably remain after it's archived.

Or, you could fix it, sending the CO an email of what you did and ask what he'd like done with the log.

- But now that you placed a NM, that little red NM wrench stays with the cache until/if the (long absent) CO removes it.

If you really want to help, you could pick up the geolitter that will probably remain after it's archived.

So far you did right, and usually if the NM stays for longer time on a cache without an owner's action, the reviewers will archive it.

I had a similar case in my area, and after contacting a reviewer, I 'adopted' the cache after it was archived by placing a new box and republishing it as 'reloaded', just to keep the cache location active which IMHO was worth of it.

Normal adoption can be initiated by the cache owner, but this requires that they react at least to emails ...

Maybe, as you already thought of taking care of the box, it would be an approach for you, too, to save the location if it's worth it.

Including pleasure of owning a cache as well as taking some responsibilty, which cherishably seems to be in your attitude anyway :-)

Above all - enjoy caching

Michael

So I have a similar question, but slightly different. What do I do if I found a cache, that was waterlogged, and left open on a stairway near my home, but when I logged on, there weren't any caches supposed to be where I found it?

I brought it home and cleaned it, and dried it out, but I can't find the log, and there aren't any on the site where I found it...

What should be my next course of action?

Put it back where I found it, clean, and with the new loot I made, or try and put it somewhere else...?

Thanks!

PS: Sorry I'm too inept to make this a new topic. I'm just out of practice majorly, since I used to do it with my brother on his account, and haven't in ages.

So I have a similar question, but slightly different. What do I do if I found a cache, that was waterlogged, and left open on a stairway near my home, but when I logged on, there weren't any caches supposed to be where I found it?

I brought it home and cleaned it, and dried it out, but I can't find the log, and there aren't any on the site where I found it...

Put it back where I found it, clean, and with the new loot I made, or try and put it somewhere else...?

Thanks!

PS: Sorry I'm too inept to make this a new topic. I'm just out of practice majorly, since I used to do it with my brother on his account, and haven't in ages.

Can you give us the approximate location? It may be a premium-member-only cache.

Thanks!

Can you give us the approximate location? It may be a premium-member-only cache.

So, where I found it is right around the coordinates: 45° 30' 35.42"N 122° 41' 58.35" W. Are there any premium caches around there you know of?

Thanks!