GPX files

dragon86

Hi all,

I am going to upgrade to premium membership and I have been reading the posts about it.

Being new to Geocaching I am a bit confused about the GPX files. I use my Garmin Oregon 450 for hunting

and just started to Geocache. The posts say to delete all the GPX files before going premium. Does that mean I

will lose all my already found caches and my way points and routes that I use for hunting?

Thanks,

Don

Hi all,

I am going to upgrade to premium membership and I have been reading the posts about it.

Being new to Geocaching I am a bit confused about the GPX files. I use my Garmin Oregon 450 for hunting and just started to Geocache. The posts say to delete all the GPX files before going premium. Does that mean I will lose all my already found caches and my way points and routes that I use for hunting?

Thanks,

Don

If you're a Basic Member, you wouldn't have been able to save gpx files to your gps. You would have only been able to save loc files, which those posts have said should be deleted.

Help Center → Geocaching → Finding Geocaches

2.5. Download Cache Information

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=236

I don't think that previously saved waypoints and routes should be affected, but I'm not sure. You wouldn't have them saved as gpx files, as far as I know.

B.

The posts say to delete all the GPX files before going premium. Does that mean I

will lose all my already found caches...

There usually isn't a good reason to keep already-found caches on the GPS anyway. After all, why have them taking up space when you're already done with them? Anyway, yes, you do need to delete those.

...and my way points and routes that I use for hunting?

You don't need to delete these. You can leave the "Waypoints_XXX.gpx" files, as well as any route or track files. What you do need to delete are any LOC or GPX files that contain geocache information.

If you're a Basic Member, you wouldn't have been able to save gpx files to your gps. You would have only been able to save loc files, which those posts have said should be deleted.

Basic members can't use the "GPX file" button, but it is possible for them to have GPX files. Through testing recently, I was able to determine that basic members who use "Send to My GPS" will get a GPX file containing significantly more information than a LOC file contains.

Basic members can't use the "GPX file" button, but it is possible for them to have GPX files. Through testing recently, I was able to determine that basic members who use "Send to My GPS" will get a GPX file containing significantly more information than a LOC file contains.

Significantly more? I just tested it and all I see is that you get the type, the country and the following hint and description:

Hints available to premium members only.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Receive more information such as cache descriptions and hints with a Premium Membership. Visit http://www.geocaching.com/subscribe for more details.

Significantly more? I just tested it and all I see is that you get the type, the country and the following hint and description:

Hints available to premium members only.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Receive more information such as cache descriptions and hints with a Premium Membership. Visit http://www.geocaching.com/subscribe for more details.

See this post for the results of my test. You're correct that you don't get the description or hint, but you get pretty much everything else.