placing my first cache

funkygums

Well worth reading http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/ and the section on Hiding a Cache.

It includes a section on 'Permission' and where permission is explicitly needed.

It's written by one of the UK reviewers, so is well worth a read before you hide a cache!

(And having read it, your cache will hopefully sail through publication!)

The GAGB has agreements with some landowners, including the National Trust, the list is here:

Edit to add.

You've only been finding caches for two days.

Hiding a cache changes your caching priorities...

Cache maintenance should become your first priority for caching. Do you have the time, and commitment?

Read the guidelines, Groundspeak suggest you find 20 or so caches before you hide your first.

This is to make sure caching IS for you, and you're not a 'here today, gone tomorrow' cacher that is going to leave 'geo-trash' when you go off on your latest 'kick' when you are fed up with caching.

IF you are still interested... Good Luck with your first hide! :D

Edited by Bear and Ragged

i dont think ill go off it, im driving off my route already in search of caches, i have it on my ipad all the time, its driving the missus mad, we fell walk every weekend and spend all our spare time in the lakes, the kids enjoy it and it gets them motivated to keep walking. i already placed the cache, there are two, a micro cache with coordinates for the true cache they are 15 miles apart lol. it is a really good one too. :rolleyes:

All land is owned by someone, even Common Land...

Some areas require 'Explicit Permission' and the reviewers will ask for proof of that permission.

Other areas can be done with a verbal agreement, and the reviewers wont ask you for proof...

Just be careful of SSSI's and areas owned by the likes of National Trust, Forestry Commission etc.

(Use of the Magic map is worth it!)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Thanks to B&R for the link to my resource website. I've actually moved a lot of the information you need into the UK Geocaching Wiki. Here you'll find all the information you need to help you place a cache.

I would strongly advise you spend a bit more time finding more caches. Get the feel for where they are placed. Check the cache pages out as we do ask that any permission you have is clearly shown on the page. That'll help you identify locations. The Wiki has links to the maps that we use when looking at new caches waiting publication. It explains how you can use them and check your own locations.

Enjoy the game!

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

i already placed the cache, there are two, a micro cache with coordinates for the true cache they are 15 miles apart lol. it is a really good one too. :rolleyes:

Do you mean it's a two-stage cache? And the two stages are 15 miles apart??

If so, does anyone know if there is a limit on the distance between stages of a single cache?

If this set-up is acceptable, it may limit the interest, since some people will not want to drive (or walk!) 15 miles to find stage 2 of a single cache.

i already placed the cache, there are two, a micro cache with coordinates for the true cache they are 15 miles apart lol. it is a really good one too. :rolleyes:

Do you mean it's a two-stage cache? And the two stages are 15 miles apart??

If so, does anyone know if there is a limit on the distance between stages of a single cache?

If this set-up is acceptable, it may limit the interest, since some people will not want to drive (or walk!) 15 miles to find stage 2 of a single cache.

yes its a two stage. and your right its a long way, ill change it

i was thinking the same after i placed the two, its my first and its a good one, i aim to place quality and to place real "treasure" for the kids. i will remove the first cache and place it closer to the true cache. it wasnt acepted anyway. its a learning curve.