Cache notification

acachebox

That's why I provided the link for you. The phrase "Instant Notification page" in my post above is clickable.

"

Yes and Thanks for the link but. How is one supposed to find it on their own. When I type in "Notification of a new cache" the page fills in what I am typing, leading one to believe it will have an answer and then comes back with Zero finds. Found my answer for now. Even if I wanted to get back to your suggestion by searching in the Forum that can't be done.

That is why I say this site needs HELP

How is one supposed to find it on their own.

Searching the Help Center is one way. I just tried searching for "notifications" there, and the first two results are for "Instant Notifications" and "Updating Instant Notifications". Google is also good for finding that kind of information. Using your search term below in Google gave me the Instant Notification page as the top result. If you mean you just want to know how to get to that page, it's linked in the right-hand menu bar on your profile page.

When I type in "Notification of a new cache" the page fills in what I am typing, leading one to believe it will have an answer and then comes back with Zero finds.

I'm curious, where are you typing this? None of the search functions on this site use auto-fill.

How is one supposed to find it on their own.

Searching the Help Center is one way. I just tried searching for "notifications" there, and the first two results are for "Instant Notifications" and "Updating Instant Notifications". Google is also good for finding that kind of information. Using your search term below in Google gave me the Instant Notification page as the top result. If you mean you just want to know how to get to that page, it's linked in the right-hand menu bar on your profile page.

When I type in "Notification of a new cache" the page fills in what I am typing, leading one to believe it will have an answer and then comes back with Zero finds.

I'm curious, where are you typing this? None of the search functions on this site use auto-fill.

The Help Center. I just tried it again, typed the word "notification" and it filled in "of new cashes" and this is the result I got Search: notification and of and new and caches (0)

Edited by acachebox

The Help Center. I just tried it again, typed the word "notification" and it filled in "of new cashes" and this is the result I got Search: notification and of and new and caches (0)

Is it possible you've searched for that phrase there in the past? It could be your browser that's trying to be helpful and suggesting search terms you've used in the past.

Sorry you're feeling frustrated.

I usually just start with geocaching.com/my

Along the right side of the page is a link to Premium Features (if you're a premium member)

Premium Features
  • Get Started
  • Build Pocket Queries
  • Manage Lists
  • Set Up Notifications

If that doesn't help, the first link for "Get Started" takes you to a page showing the list of Premium Member features with links for each feature.

I always thought these pages were easier to find than some of the caches I've tried - but that's just me. I've been around here a while.

That's why I provided the link for you. The phrase "Instant Notification page" in my post above is clickable.

"

Yes and Thanks for the link but. How is one supposed to find it on their own. When I type in "Notification of a new cache" the page fills in what I am typing, leading one to believe it will have an answer and then comes back with Zero finds. Found my answer for now. Even if I wanted to get back to your suggestion by searching in the Forum that can't be done.

That is why I say this site needs HELP

One could always do a search of the forums-this topic comes up at least once every other week.

Or one could Google the term "Geocaching notifications" It's the first result. This is actually a good idea for a lot of websites. A website may have a "hidden" page. For example I Googled a certain product and it came up on the manufacturers website with the page just for reference, even though the product has been discontinued.

Or any of the other suggestions. I find it ironic that some people can find micro caches easily but can't certain things on this website.

Edited by T.D.M.22

If you saw my reply above that describes what I get when I search within the site you might understand why i asked the question. Yes I agree it should be very simple. One should not have to resort to using Google to find different pages within a f=given web page.

If this does in fact come up weekly maybe it is time to address it. As for caches verses searching within the site. Caches are set with some level of Logic that allows one to figure them out. I have not seen the Logic of the site yet.

"

Yes and Thanks for the link but. How is one supposed to find it on their own.

Um, the same way that you got there when you set up the notification in the first place?

Or, how about clicking the link at the very bottom of every notification that you receive?

Or, you could could go to your private profile page and click the Set up Notifications link in the right column

If you click the "Learn" Drop down menu and choose Geocaching 101, you see a link to search the Help Center. If you follow it and then put Notification in the search box, you get this page: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=search&q=notification&area=kb&submit=Search The very first article is: Updating Instant Notifications

Edit: It sounds like your browsers auto fill is messing with the search box. Will it let you delete or backspace over the part you don't want?

Edited by Don_J

I have never had any luck using the search function on GC.com! I discovered very quickly that if I wanted to search anything on GC.com I use Google, and if that doesn't work at first, point it to GC.com in advanced search.

Yes, this should be addressed, but it has been like this for a long time, and no-one seems to care, so rather than grumble about it, I just use google.