Correct coordinates by the letterbox geocaches

glogloman

No response?

I know in US is Letterbox(ing) mainly something like traditional cache, but it's not same in Europe, especially in the CZ, where we have letterboxes more like mystery versions of multi caches.

It's really so hard to implement corrected coordinates in this (and Wherigo) type of cache?

I wouldn't mind it being available for ALL caches. There are more than a few traditionals out there with inaccurate coordinates. If I come across a better set, say, in the logs, it'd be nice to update them on the site. I know I can edit them in GSAK, but this way I don't have to lock them.

If you don't mind doing the record keeping yourself GSAK allows all types to be corrected. You can put the corrected ones in a special db and even lock them so importing the cache will not override.

I know that i can, I'm even active user of GSAK, but when is possible to change coordinates directly at gc.com website of mystery and multi caches, why not the rest? Especially when it's already programmed. Another reason is, that I don't have my PC with GSAK database (or copied database of GSAK to Locus on android) with me, but servers of Groundspeak are just simply reachable from everywhere...

If you don't mind doing the record keeping yourself GSAK allows all types to be corrected. You can put the corrected ones in a special db and even lock them so importing the cache will not override.

I know that i can, I'm even active user of GSAK, but when is possible to change coordinates directly at gc.com website of mystery and multi caches, why not the rest? Especially when it's already programmed. Another reason is, that I don't have my PC with GSAK database (or copied database of GSAK to Locus on android) with me, but servers of Groundspeak are just simply reachable from everywhere...

I guess I don't understand why you would want to? I could use it for mysteries to give me the coords for the final, or for a multi to get to the step where I stopped. (But I do that as waypoints on the Gupy.) Once I've found a cache, I'm no longer interested in it. Why would I want corrected coords?

I guess I don't understand why you would want to? I could use it for mysteries to give me the coords for the final, or for a multi to get to the step where I stopped. (But I do that as waypoints on the Gupy.) Once I've found a cache, I'm no longer interested in it. Why would I want corrected coords?

For one example, consider the case where the CO has lousy coordinates and past finders have posted the correct coordinates. For a normal hide there is no way in the geocaching.com web interface for you to fix it for your account. It also messes up searching by distance/direction/maps

Some apps handle this (namely neongeo on Androids). For neongeo if you put the updated coords as the first line in your personal note area, it supersedes the official coords. Nice feature.

1) Mentioned above - not so correct coordinates, moved cache etc.

2) For geocache betatesting/creating - how far are final caches - you can't remember all of them and you need exactly these 160 meters (especially in city centres).

3) If I solve cache (letterbox, Wherigo) and final cache is so far - so to save final coordinates as with multi or mystery for next day/trip...

4) For friends if calling and asking me for checking their coordinates, that he/she can't find and need just help...

And you can find many other reasons...