forgot your gps?!

Guest leaper64

Guest leaper64

i decided to post this in "the hunt" section because this probably happens more often when hunting than stashing.

my son and i recently hid our seventh stash. we left the truck and headed out in a mountainous area with stash in hand. we hiked about 1/4 mi and decided upon a good location for our stash. after we nestled the stash carefully amongst the rocks, i reached for my gps unit. needless to say, it was safely locked inside the truck. a lot of fast talking aside(on my part), my 12 yr old son did me a great favor and headed back to the truck for the gps (i'm glad i remembered to give him the truck keys). he is in great shape, and anyway, the second trip was good for him - right? the moral to the story is don't forget your gps, or always have a young person with you who can make a second trip to the truck!

has anyone else had a similar experience either hiding or seeking?

larry

Guest cache_ninja

heh

i've read lots of logs on the url where people forgot in the car the item they intended to leave in the cache.

i never left my gps in the car, i did leave my keys in the car on one hunt, locked inside. thats no fun either. didn't realize till on my way down thankfully(woudlve ruined the fun otherwise). had plans to post a reward on the url in case a subsequent seeker came upon them, but then i got to the car and there they were, dangling.. a very tall, friendly person named Texas, sent from AAA helped me pry open my door. it was easier that i expected, with the proper tools....

c/n

[This message has been edited by cache_ninja (edited 03-18-2001).]

Guest Lux Lucid

A friend and I were so excited about placing a new cache and taking photos of the area, we nearly left without taking a GPS reading. We remembered at the last minute. What's worse, forgetting to bring the GPS, or forgetting to use it? :D

Guest Moun10Bike

One thing that I do that helps to remember the GPS is to run the GPS in the car on my way to the stash, and then to keep it running while I walk or hike to the cache site. I got into the habit of doing this with mountain biking so that I had good signal when I reached the trailhead -- otherwise, I would have to pull in a signal cold through the trees, and would often only have a minimal number of satellites locked in when I headed out on a ride.