Cache Placement Violations

Thrak

I've been on the fence as to whether to report this or not. After all, I'm not the "cache police".

When you find a cache that doesn't follow any of the guidelines do you report it or just shrug it off and go on about your business?

Problem is, so many are casual cachers who just want to go out and find hides.

- Log a smiley and walk away.

Then I come along and I'm a (expletive deleted) for placing a NM or NA, when thirty before me may have thought the same, but did nothing.

- You place that stigma on others as well by saying, "After all, I'm not the cache police".

Why report any longer if folks hate you afterwards?

I hear ya on that the log a smiley and walk away crew we were just at a few caches recently and no one said anything that the log book was damaged the caches were chewed that they needed help or anything sad sad :(

If the person was a noob, or maybe hadn't placed many caches, I would try to message them first. If they didn't respond or refused to change it, I would report it.

The problem with that is if the cache goes missing for any reason you likely will get blamed for it.

I don't get the correlation between reporting a violation and responsibility for a missing cache. Are you saying that people will associate reporting with a desire to personally remove a bad cache?

Yes. Forty people may have a problem with it, but the cacher will only imagine the one person who graciously emailed and inquired about it, removing it.

If the person was a noob, or maybe hadn't placed many caches, I would try to message them first. If they didn't respond or refused to change it, I would report it.

The problem with that is if the cache goes missing for any reason you likely will get blamed for it.

I don't get the correlation between reporting a violation and responsibility for a missing cache. Are you saying that people will associate reporting with a desire to personally remove a bad cache?

I would never personally remove a bad cache, all that would do would send cachers looking in a bad place for nothing. Too bad that doesn't count for much, I guess.

Yes. Forty people may have a problem with it, but the cacher will only imagine the one person who graciously emailed and inquired about it, removing it.

When one makes any contact with the CO about his/her Cache that is in Violation of the rules, they will most likely get the blame when someone else sends that email to a reviewer.

Cache referred to in original post: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=031b59b4-2019-44f9-8b88-19217c9ba657

User has 731 finds and 24 hides. Not exactly a n00b.

The cache has 3 favorite points.

It's a freaking 4x4 post - one of two posts holding up a sign.

Whatever...

If its minor ill just get my smilie and move on, if its major ill post to the cache page.

Recently I had a cache archived because the area where the cache was was purchase and now private property, we ran into the new owner and he requested the cache be removed.

Just a few days ago we came to a cache in a hole in the crotch of a tree, I looked in and saw 3 baby birds so I recommended the co disable the cache be disabled till the birds were gone. The co responded he moved the cache from the crotch to another part of te tree but I feel someone will not see the new info and touch the birds.