Cache Placement Violations

Thrak

I recently found a "cache" that didn't fit any of the guidelines. There was no physical container. There was no logbook. The listing said to "bring a Sharpie". When I got to GZ the "cache" consisted of a post that had a bunch of signatures on it. That was the point of the Sharpie. You needed one to write on the wooden post (although there were some signatures in pen).

I've been on the fence as to whether to report this or not. After all, I'm not the "cache police".

When you find a cache that doesn't follow any of the guidelines do you report it or just shrug it off and go on about your business?

I recently found a "cache" that didn't fit any of the guidelines. There was no physical container. There was no logbook. The listing said to "bring a Sharpie". When I got to GZ the "cache" consisted of a post that had a bunch of signatures on it. That was the point of the Sharpie. You needed one to write on the wooden post (although there were some signatures in pen).

I've been on the fence as to whether to report this or not. After all, I'm not the "cache police".

When you find a cache that doesn't follow any of the guidelines do you report it or just shrug it off and go on about your business?

Needs archiving. Cache is not a container. Logbook is a private property fence post with no indications this has owner approval for defacement.

Do I report it for every cache I feel is a violation? No, but the worst ones. I just choose the ones that I feel are the most egregious, but with that one, I'd have no qualms to do it. Signing a post does not seem like a cache to me.

Exactly. I don't report most of them. Heck, if I cached in store parking lots like some of you people, I could have reported about 2,000 already. :P Something this whacked? Yes, I probably would.

One condition though. It's not a total n00b is it? Then I might not. One guy tried placing what he called a "Geodisc" in my area a few years ago that you were just supposed to look at. OK, there it is. There was actually some drama in a local forum regarding people not trying to help him out, and going all "know-it-all" on him and reporting the cache and stuff. :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

We only practice this activity through the good graces of land managers and owners. When we find caches that can paint this sport in a bad light I think it is our duty to be the cache police. If we don't police our sport, some government agency will police it for us and we might not like the results.

So I certainly report guideline violations where defacement of property, trespassing, off limits areas, digging etc. are involved. A cache that requires graffiti to log, I'd report that in a second.

Edited by briansnat

Do I report it for every cache I feel is a violation? No, but the worst ones. I just choose the ones that I feel are the most egregious, but with that one, I'd have no qualms to do it. Signing a post does not seem like a cache to me.

Yeah. I'd have to say just the egregious ones. Two boxes screwed into trees ten feet off the tail. Bad! Archived. Wanna bet they're still there?

Landowners don't care whether the magnetic strip has a cache container.

Minor guidelines violations? I usually ignore them, unless, of course, the CO sets out to annoy me... But that's a different story

We only practice this activity through the good graces of land managers and owners. When we find caches that can paint this sport in a bad light I think it is our duty to be the cache police. If we don't police our sport, some government agency will police it for us and we might not like the results.

So I certainly report guideline violations where defacement of property, trespassing, off limits areas, digging etc. are involved. A cache that requires graffiti to log, I'd report that in a second.

Yep. I have to agree. :)

I

Maybe they misunderstood the part about having a "log" to sign.....:)

Just a thought here....I wonder what the CO plans to do when the log gets full?

Also, isn't there one cache in Seattle that encourages finders to stick their discarded chewing gum on a wall? Sounds like vandalism to me, although if allowed by the property owner I guess it would be alright. Any indication that the owner of the property in this case isn't aware of the activity?

I agree about the lack of container not meeting the definition of a cache, though....

Edited by Chief301

Me too.

I pointed a couple like this out to the reviewer, and the owner changed and relisted at least one of them.

I recently found a new one by the same CO that is basically the same. I guess they didn't learn anything.

As Brian says, if we don't police our own activity, eventually someone else will have to...and we may not be happy with the way they do it.

If you see something you think is questionable, it probably is.

Report it to your reviewer, and if possible include photos.

If I see one more cache placed in a hole someone drilled into a fencepost, a utility pole, or a live tree, I'll scream! :mad:

Yes, I will report caches that have egregious guideline violations. For minor issues I might just send a direct email to the CO instead of posting a Needs Archived log.

The container rule has been waived for a lot of caches... the biggest one's being those magnetic number things were you just sign the back. No container at all.

My understanding is that the reviewers won't knowingly publish these any more, unless there is a baggie on the back to contain the log sheet. But many times you cannot tell from the listing that you will be finding one of those until it's in your hands.

Also, isn't there one cache in Seattle that encourages finders to stick their discarded chewing gum on a wall? Sounds like vandalism to me, although if allowed by the property owner I guess it would be alright. Any indication that the owner of the property in this case isn't aware of the activity?

The cache is there because of the gum wall. People were sticking gum to this wall for years before the cache was hidden there.

Me too.

+1 And often times the reactive policies will be the death of many quality caches because the policy makers do not really understand how geocaching works, but they do understand that there are caches on their lands placed without permission and/or in areas that they don't want people wandering around in.

I

Maybe they misunderstood the part about having a "log" to sign.....:)

Just a thought here....I wonder what the CO plans to do when the log gets full?

I agree about the lack of container not meeting the definition of a cache, though....

The one in Seattle is actually a landmark where everyone is encouraged to do that. There is a wall and cache like that in San Luis Obispo.

I've seen a few that are those air freshener trees and the cardboard tree is the log.

That's the worst idea I've heard since the guy that made a cache out of a cardboard box.

Do these people not realize what happens to paper when it gets wet?

Not everybody has to worry about moisture issues the way we do. :unsure: I've even heard stories of some areas where they can hide altoid tins successfully. :huh:

You can try to report it but it doesn't seem to do much good. I've come across so many of those containers like that no labels no identification nothing. Actual I'd have to say most of my 600 finds there's no label no nothing. The worse ones I see are in parks where your supposed to have it labeled off a trail not damaging hahahahahahahaha that doesn't get followed much either. I've reported quite a few and have got nothing from it there still there violating rules

+1 at least there's a few people that do :)

Graffiti to log,,, it all depends. For me, on information the cache description might contain. Something like "the cache is on my property" or that "permission was given for placement of the cache in this manner" would set my mind at ease. Imo, the logbook, a post in this case, is the main thing needed to qualify it as a geocache.

I still find it interesting that some will give a cache like this a hard time but go about their merry way when they come across a parking lot lpc. :unsure:

Graffiti to log,,, it all depends. For me, on information the cache description might contain. Something like "the cache is on my property" or that "permission was given for placement of the cache in this manner" would set my mind at ease. Imo, the logbook, a post in this case, is the main thing needed to qualify it as a geocache.

I still find it interesting that some will give a cache like this a hard time but go about their merry way when they come across a parking lot lpc. :unsure:

It's not like people are signing the lamp post with a Sharpie. If they were, I'm sure the reaction would be the same.

It's not like people are signing the lamp post with a Sharpie. If they were, I'm sure the reaction would be the same.

True! But i'm thinking more along the lines of what a property owner, store manager, store employee, or wally world shopper witnessing someone lifting up a lampost skirt and digging around under it, might be thinking. The cache may be hidden with the blessing of the parking lot owner but most likely it is not and therefore goes against guidelines.

And by the way, i've seen a many lpcs that had scratched up poles where the cover had been lifted. Some were bent and some even had wires pulled loose from wire nuts. I imagine that most of this was probably caused by cachers.

Again, i wouldn't give a hoot,,, if permission was given for either of these situations. If i had to guess which one was more likely to have had permission given, i'd definitely pick the cache mentioned by the OP of this thread.

Edited by Mudfrog

Not too long ago there was a thread about a power trail that was nothing but wooden stakes. If I remember right it was archived because the stakes did not meet the definition of a "container with a log", so no it shouldn't matter if this cache was placed with permission or not this cache should not be treated any different that the power trail and be archived also.

Some were bent and some even had wires pulled loose from wire nuts. I imagine that most of this was probably caused by cachers.

I agree, but you will get responses to prove the unprovable.

Like the one about the stone wall.. And it getting destroyed by geocachers

I've reported things in the past with varying results. The last time I did I was told I should put an SBA on the cache pages. Don't think I'm willing to go that far. Some were bad placements and/or obviously bad things that the reviewer couldn't have known about while others probably shouldn't have been published in the first place. <_<

Not too long ago there was a thread about a power trail that was nothing but wooden stakes. If I remember right it was archived because the stakes did not meet the definition of a "container with a log", so no it shouldn't matter if this cache was placed with permission or not this cache should not be treated any different that the power trail and be archived also.

Ah yes, who could forget "film canisters seep chemicals into mother earth guy". That was pretty funny. He never did explain how sharpie markers on a piece of wood do not seep chemicals into mother earth, though. :ph34r:

I digress though. The Power trail was archived, and although Hans (yes, I remember his name) didn't like it, he brought the caches into compliance, and they were unarchived. Dang, I hang around there too much, don't I? Good night. :P

No

I've reported things in the past with varying results. The last time I did I was told I should put an SBA on the cache pages. Don't think I'm willing to go that far. Some were bad placements and/or obviously bad things that the reviewer couldn't have known about while others probably shouldn't have been published in the first place. <_<

If I felt that for whatever reason that I needed to use a bit of discretion and reported a cache to one of my reviewers by private email, and the response was to post a NA, I'd be writing to Groundspeak.

So how do you convince your peers of that?

Found it today, which was well built, and probably nearly impossible to discover accidentally. A 4x4 trail marker appearing to be made from recycled plastic with a bison tube behind a removable medallion of a tree. It appears that tree medallion was glued on initially, peeled off, hole drilled in the post behind it to hide the bison, with modifications to it so it hangs tightly from 2 screws and only comes off with an upward nudge. It is very well built, and unlikely to be discovered accidentally. Obvious defacement with over 100 finds in 5 years and 11 favs. But if the wrong person sees it, well...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=779099bb-8e32-4dca-abf1-5f0a6fc4e3fc was made in a similar way by a hand drill on a county line wooden post with something attached with Velcro overtop. The camo was missing so it was obvious, and unfortunately the CO is not active and unlikely to fix it soon. I suspect there are more in the area which either inspired it, or were inspired from it. I'm not posting any NAs, but if they do get archived, it wouldnt really bother me. The sign otherwise is in lousy shape, and probably should be replaced. No NAs seem to be posted on either, and one would probably get someone seriously agitated which I don't want to deal with.

So how do you convince your peers of that?

Found it today, which was well built, and probably nearly impossible to discover accidentally. A 4x4 trail marker appearing to be made from recycled plastic with a bison tube behind a removable medallion of a tree. It appears that tree medallion was glued on initially, peeled off, hole drilled in the post behind it to hide the bison, with modifications to it so it hangs tightly from 2 screws and only comes off with an upward nudge. It is very well built, and unlikely to be discovered accidentally. Obvious defacement with over 100 finds in 5 years and 11 favs. But if the wrong person sees it, well...

This was made in a similar way by a hand drill on a county line wooden post with something attached with Velcro overtop. The camo was missing so it was obvious, and unfortunately the CO is not active and unlikely to fix it soon. I suspect there are more in the area which either inspired it, or were inspired from it. I'm not posting any NAs, but if they do get archived, it wouldnt really bother me. The sign otherwise is in lousy shape, and probably should be replaced. No NAs seem to be posted on either, and one would probably get someone seriously agitated which I don't want to deal with.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I've not yet reported a cache.

I would take action if I felt the cache was doing harm and/or hurting the game in some way. I once found a cache which was in an unstable wall, and to get it you needed to remove stones which made it more unstable. I mailed the owner and they disabled and moved it immediately.

On the other hand, nearby there is one of those flat caches where you write on the magnet itself. It is well maintained and I see no personal issue with it; but I know from the forums that it doesn't have a container so is not allowed. I won't report that or even mention it to the owner.

The example the OP gave? It would depend on how it was done I think. If the post was in the middle of nowhere and well hidden, I would do nothing. If it is clearly visible on a fence post which appears to be private property I would report it.

alot of the cool and creative hides, violate the guideline more or less,

as long as no harm was done,

and as long as I can see this will not be a problem to the location even after many visits

I dont repport it, just enjoy the cache and be happy.

But last weekend, I did repport two to a reviewer

and I also wrote clearly about the violation in my found it log,

and I saw a huge bunch of similar violation repports in the logs,

just no one did inform the reviewers about their logs,

so nothing was done, co dont read logs I guess.

Do any of you simply ask the CO to archive the cache without reporting it?

I assume you mean through private mail. No, but I'll ask the CO to consider archiving the cache by posting a "Needs Archived" log explaining why I think there's a problem.

Do any of you simply ask the CO to archive the cache without reporting it?

I assume you mean through private mail. No, but I'll ask the CO to consider archiving the cache by posting a "Needs Archived" log explaining why I think there's a problem.

That's a bit more friendly than a report to GS. Thanks.

We found a cache that was shown on a local TV station's outdoor series on geocaching.

Turned out to be a decoy that has its attachment go into a drilled hole through a thick tree branch.

I batted it around with CJ and we decided to not get involved in this one.

Many finders are the few who put out the rare caches I like to find (only adding a PMO to them would keep me away) and at least one Parks Ranger has found it, saying how much fun it was (and also puts out hides I'll do).

We were on everyone's crap list for some time after getting a well-liked cache archived that today would probably have favorites and CJ was getting hassled at events over it, when it was me who placed the NA.

- I didn't want her to go through that again. It's still being found.

But new folks who saw that cache on TV would think that drilling holes for hides must be okay, they showed it on TV...

I would never privately email a CO about a Guidelines issue unless I knew them personally.

Too often Guidelines issues seem to come from COs who only care about their creativity and believe the Guidelines only stifle that.

Rather, COs that do damage such as using a drill to bore holes into trees and signs, and other similar violations, are showing a basic level of disrespect to the property, and often will show the same level of disrespect to anyone who queries them about it.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
Rather, COs that do damage such as using a drill to bore holes into trees and signs, and other similar violations, are showing a basic level of disrespect to the property, and often will show the same level of disrespect to anyone who queries them about it.

You got that right. :laughing:

A CO thought that roadside right-of-ways were public property. Placed two vacation caches on private property at different times and each time had them archived by a Reviewer.

After the third, right in front of a no trespassing sign, I emailed the CO asking why he'd do that again, knowing it isn't allowed.

- After being told to go (deleted) myself, I emailed the Reviewer, who archived it a few hours later.

Problem is, so many are casual cachers who just want to go out and find hides.

- Log a smiley and walk away.

Then I come along and I'm a (expletive deleted) for placing a NM or NA, when thirty before me may have thought the same, but did nothing.

- You place that stigma on others as well by saying, "After all, I'm not the cache police".

Why report any longer if folks hate you afterwards?

If I felt that for whatever reason that I needed to use a bit of discretion and reported a cache to one of my reviewers by private email, and the response was to post a NA, I'd be writing to Groundspeak.

It was GS that told me to post a NA log. I was seeking confirmation on whether a couple of caches were in violation of the guidelines. I contacted a reviewer on one of them but got nowhere. After coming across the second one I decided to contact GS directly. That's when I was told to post a NA if I thought they may be violating the guidelines.

It was GS that told me to post a NA log. I was seeking confirmation on whether a couple of caches were in violation of the guidelines. I contacted a reviewer on one of them but got nowhere. After coming across the second one I decided to contact GS directly. That's when I was told to post a NA if I thought they may be violating the guidelines.

When you wrote to Groundspeak, did you explain that you had already contacted a reviewer and the reviewer was ignoring you?

When you wrote to Groundspeak, did you explain that you had already contacted a reviewer and the reviewer was ignoring you?

They didn't exactly ignore me. I sent an initial email about the cache and got a response. I then replied with more detail but never heard back. How I put it in my email to GS was "I did email the reviewer who published the cache about the proximity but never heard back after I sent the specific details.". That one was a proximity as well as a permission/placement issue. The 2nd was a placement issue that I'm not quite sure about even now.

This was made in a similar way by a hand drill on a county line wooden post with something attached with Velcro overtop. The camo was missing so it was obvious, and unfortunately the CO is not active and unlikely to fix it soon. I suspect there are more in the area which either inspired it, or were inspired from it. I'm not posting any NAs, but if they do get archived, it wouldnt really bother me. The sign otherwise is in lousy shape, and probably should be replaced. No NAs seem to be posted on either, and one would probably get someone seriously agitated which I don't want to deal with.

It's been five years since I found that one, with my sister. Nope. Did not put an NA on it. I've found a fair number similar.

Similar to OP's question, there is one nearby that is a magnetic strip. The original MKH was muggled. The back of the strip has a note "You've found it. Mention the name of your favorite movie in your log to log the cache." I've told the CO via e-mail and in person that the guidelines require a container with a log. It has seven Favorites for being innovative! I refuse to log it. But I'm also not putting an NA on it.

If the person was a noob, or maybe hadn't placed many caches, I would try to message them first. If they didn't respond or refused to change it, I would report it.

The problem with that is if the cache goes missing for any reason you likely will get blamed for it.

I don't get the correlation between reporting a violation and responsibility for a missing cache. Are you saying that people will associate reporting with a desire to personally remove a bad cache?