It's dead, Jim

Anyone else having trouble with the main site this morning?

Yes!...I have been trying for the last hour and I keep getting the message: "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.'

I thought it was because we were having T-Storms here this morning, but if others are having the same issue, then it must be something going on with the website!

Looks like it may not be a Groundspeak issue. It may be further up the line. According to InternetTrafficReport.com, there is a problem in the Seattle area. I tried to visit Microsoft.com and got the same error as visiting Geocaching.com. It looks like this one is beyond Jeremy's control.

but keep in mind, it is prior to 7am there - and i am sure starbucks's lines are long.

It's a global game as is the internet, it's 4pm (16:00) here, time to prepare for the weekend caches.

Oh trust me, I agree 1000% with you. I know things happen, hell I work in the IT field - not everything is a quick fix, but to not post a "sorry, we are having issues, we are working on it" doesn't require much effort.

Looks like it may not be a Groundspeak issue. It may be further up the line. According to InternetTrafficReport.com, there is a problem in the Seattle area. I tried to visit Microsoft.com and got the same error as visiting Geocaching.com. It looks like this one is beyond Jeremy's control.

Except Groundspeak.com (these forums) are in the same geographical location. One backbone router down shouldn't snarl traffic. Or as I posted just a min ago - a "hey guys, we are having issues we are working on it, sorry" would be nice.

I doubt it.

Groundspeak.com IP=66.150.167.187

geocaching.com IP=66.150.167.189

One works, one doesn't.

Except Groundspeak.com (these forums) are in the same geographical location. One backbone router down shouldn't snarl traffic. Or as I posted just a min ago - a "hey guys, we are having issues we are working on it, sorry" would be nice.

I can get on microsoft.com right now

Sung to Neil Diamonds "Hello again Hello"

Just posted to say 'hello'

I couldn't login at all tonight

And I know it's late

But I couldn't wait

Hello, Groundspeak, hello

Just called to let you know

I cant login to geocaching.com

When type in your web site name

There is no response to the game

Hello?

Maybe it runs slowly

And maybe I'm to blame

But I put my gps above my head

We've been thru it all

And you brias cut me just the same

And when you're not there

I just need to hear

Hello, cacher, hello

We are having issues, so

It's good you try like you do

And to logintoday

We want to hear you say

Hello

Edited by nthacker66

I agree, they should say something like "We know about it, we're working on it, it may take a few hours/days/decades to fix".

After having paid for their relatively expensive app twice on different platforms (although c:geo is at least as good if not even better but hey, I wanted to show some support and although there is not even an iPad app!) and being a paying customer, I'd expect a LITTLE more here than just silence!

I've just signed up a few weeks ago and have found around 20 caches only. My subscription is for 3 months. Let's see...

Edit: Yes, I can access again, seems to be restored. I'll just forget about the way they handled communication here and continue to cache happily ;)

Edited by alexhager

I agree, they should say something like "We know about it, we're working on it, it may take a few hours/days/decades to fix".

After having paid for their relatively expensive app twice on different platforms (although c:geo is at least as good if not even better but hey, I wanted to show some support and although there is not even an iPad app!) and being a paying customer, I'd expect a LITTLE more here than just silence!

I've just signed up a few weeks ago and have found around 20 caches only. My subscription is for 3 months. Let's see...

Edit: Yes, I can access again, seems to be restored. I'll just forget about the way they handled communication here and continue to cache happily ;)

You might try to forget they way they (mis-)handle communications but, sadly, you will be constantly reminded.

I'd like to say that they are of the "better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" school of thought, but we don't even get that.

On the upside for me, I use this site as an example of worst-case-scenario tech support, when my users are complaining about poor service from real suppliers.

7155bb6b-c587-425c-b668-234f8b765dcc.jpg

Okay so it is back up... but would someone explain... IF the system is totally down, just where would they post the Sorry note, and WHERE would you read it if you can't connect... Not everyone goes to their other sites, FB etc.

I can see there being alternate methods such as email, but that would work for users, but would the senders still be offline? Maybe data via smart phone would still work? More likely it was considered a minor problem that no one could locate to fix, IF they knew about it at all since they would be waking up other than the night watch.

Anyway it is working and we can all relax

Doug 7rxc

Okay so it is back up... but would someone explain... IF the system is totally down, just where would they post the Sorry note, and WHERE would you read it if you can't connect... Not everyone goes to their other sites, FB etc.

If the system is totally down, wouldn't the forums be gone too?

Whenever there's an update on the Geocaching site, we always seem to have the forums.

Since the forums worked, a brief note in Release Notes should do it.

Instead of taring and feathering Groundspeak for an unannounced (only) 2 hour outage, is it possible... that it was a network issue elsewhere? A core router somewhere on the net in Seattle that rolled over and died? Something that was / is totally out of their control? Consider the time PDT that it happened. Most likely there wasn't anyone at HQ, before, during, and after the outage.

It's back up and running. Go therefore outside, and cache on. :ph34r:

-- fixed a spelling issue before someone calls me on it. :D

Edited by DadOf6Furrballs

Instead of taring and feathering Groundspeak for an unannounced (only) 2 hour outage, is it possible... that it was a network issue elsewhere? A core router somewhere on the net in Seattle that rolled over and died? Something that was / is totally out of their control? Consider the time PDT that it happened. Most likely there wasn't anyone at HQ, before, during, and after the outage.

It's back up and running. Go therefore outside, and cache on. :ph34r:

-- fixed a spelling issue before someone calls me on it. :D

Not really - the internet was designed to withstand nuclear attacks and still allow for seamless communication of systems. It was not a core router because the forums were available - the servers sit on the same subnet.

Secondly, since this is a 24x7 sport, and geocaching.com is their bread and butter, one would think this is a rotating on call pager. But I don't think that the downtime is so much the issue as it is the lack of communication to the customers. I think most people are understanding that things happen and sometimes there aren't quick and easy fixes. I work in IT, i totally get that. But there is no excuse whatsoever that if the forums were up (and they were) that someone couldn't take 30 seconds to put in the announcements "We are experiencing technical issues, we are aware of the problem and working towards a solution." They can lock a forums and send out nasty grams to folks pretty quickly, so I am sure they could update people on outages too.

Instead there was nothing at all. Communication is vital to good customer service.

I wont harp any more on it, agree or disagree, but the 20,000ft view i will always harp on on these forums is groundspeaks customer support - they can do so much better.

If the system is totally down, wouldn't the forums be gone too?

Whenever there's an update on the Geocaching site, we always seem to have the forums.

Since the forums worked, a brief note in Release Notes should do it.

Okay, I don't have a problem with that... I was basing my response on post #10 which indicated a broader failure than just the GC site... I wasn't online at the time.

Anyway it was fixed by the time I got on as I said and it has been fine since. Thanks for your comments... also CR's.

Doug 7rxc