Carrying a disconnected cellphone Y/N?

I used to have a cell phone until money got tight and had to drop the service. It used to be some years back that you still could dial 911 with a disconnected cellphone if you got into an emergency. Does anyone know if this is still possible, and if so, does anyone without cell service carry one with them. Especially on the wilderness/semi wild caches. My old phone is a Nokia 6120 that will do digital and analog. Should I carry it?

This News Article would seem to indicate that it's still a good idea. If I remember right there was some controversy a few months back about rates being raised to pay for this service. Don't remember all the details, though.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."

Mt. 13:44

I've heard the same thing about cell phones that aren't active on any calling plan - that they can still make 911 calls. For this reason I carry my old Nokia5120 in my camelback while out mountain biking.

I've never really tested the 911 theory though. Anybody want to make an illegal crank call to 911 with a deactivated cell phone to test it? icon_wink.gif

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

I've heard the same thing about cell phones that aren't active on any calling plan - that they can still make 911 calls. For this reason I carry my old Nokia5120 in my camelback while out mountain biking.

I've never really tested the 911 theory though. Anybody want to make an illegal crank call to 911 with a deactivated cell phone to test it? icon_wink.gif

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

You can call 911 on any cell phone whether it is activated or not. A couple of years ago the FCC mandated that wireless carriers allow 911 calls to be placed on their networks even if the phone is deactivated. The extra charges that have been applied are for E-911 or Enhanced 911 that allows the operator to retrieve your wireless number and your rough location according to which tower your are operating from. I work for Nextel and even I carry an old analog cell phone around just in case.

Charles

I used to work for a regional digital/analog carrier here in Virginia, and yes, phones without service can still make 911 calls (be sure to keep it charged, though!)

One note: Be prepared to clearly identify your macro and micro location to the 911 dispatcher...911 calls via cell phones have been known to land in other counties, or even other states!

Scott

32121_600.jpg

Lynchburg, Virginia

to pray on those who aren't...

I dont have an a link to the ad but i used to receive this goofy magazine of weird items and one was for a "cell phone just for 911" it had no keys or buttons save this giant 1 inch wide red button marked "911". The phoen cost $49.99 (or more, I can't exactly recall). I shook my head sadly when i saw this ad, I even sent it to Consumer Reports for their "selling it" feature on their back page.... Yes, as everyone else has said, you can use old phones as described. Its actually a good diea under the circumstances...

William

Caching with a 5 year old: takes 2x as long, it's 2x as satisifying

The faster you go, the worse your reception is.

Now a related question. Since we've had more than one cell phone account, and each time upgraded phones, we've amassed a small collection of unused cellphones. Is there any (legitimate) group that collects old phones to give to those who might need it for 911 calls? I really hate to throw perfectly good phones away but I don't need half a dozen old ones sitting in a drawer.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

GeoStars,

I dunno if I can point you in the right direction, but I know I'm looking for one of those big fat 80's cell phones.

I like to call 'em the Miami Vice phones... you know, that were about three inches thick.

If you have one of those, I'd send you a few bucks for it.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by GeoStars:

Now a related question. Since we've had more than one cell phone account, and each time upgraded phones, we've amassed a small collection of unused cellphones. Is there any (legitimate) group that collects old phones to give to those who might need it for 911 calls? I really hate to throw perfectly good phones away but I don't need half a dozen old ones sitting in a drawer.

There are a number of different organizations that will accept cell phone donations for different purposes. They are pretty easy to find by doing a search in Yahoo or other search engine. One of these includes http://www.wirelessfoundation.org/.

Not all cell phones are able to call 911. . . . If you have a used phone within the last few years, it will work. However, if you have one of those Miami vice phones or bag-phones you may not be able to call 911. Most of the older phones are not equipped to be used without actually having services.

If you have any question if your phone old dusty phone will be able to call 911, you may want too make a test call 911 before heading into the great outdoors.

If you can afford to go GeoCaching you can afford an active cell account icon_mad.gif . Phones that are no longer needed by fortunate ones should be donated to people/organizations that NEED them. People like abused women and children need these phones. Please contact your local Abuse Hot line and I am sure that they will agree.

JMHO

magellin

Eye, Ham, We, Todd, Did

Sofa, King, We, Todd, Did

If you can afford to go GeoCaching you can afford an active cell account icon_mad.gif . Phones that are no longer needed by fortunate ones should be donated to people/organizations that NEED them. People like abused women and children need these phones. Please contact your local Abuse Hot line and I am sure that they will agree.

JMHO

magellin

Eye, Ham, We, Todd, Did

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Boy... just the other day I was watching Miami Vice.. and there goes Don Johnson walking around with this _box_ held up to his ear. I about fell on the floor laughing. I really want one of those now.

Is this a "retro" thing?

I usually don't have a problem with retro fashions, but daggonnit, how is a guy supposed to keep a straight face with some of the yoof sportin 15" fro's?

As far as the topic goes, I'm on my fourth cell phone and have given the previous three to friends. I tend to upgrade my phone every 18 months so they're never *that* old.

(Modern cell batteries tend to get weaker at about 18 months - plus...I'm a gadget whore by nature)

Am I the only one who thinks that there should be a non-emergency alternate to 911? You know... You're driving along and see a five gallon bucket in the middle of the freeway but don't know who to call. Or a drunk guy is putting on "a show" in such a way as to disturb the onlookers... I'm not going to waste 911 time for these, but I would like to let the JBT know of the situation.

I knew I'd been in Berkeley too long when I saw "Free Firewood" and I wondered who this Firewood fellow was and what he had done.

Most police and fire departments have non-emergency lines. Our dispatch center also has a non-emergency line that we use to get our run times for ambulance calls. You could probably get these numbers through information. More trouble I know, but better than tying up the 911 lines for non-emergency calls.

Of course, depending on the situation (like your 5-gallon bucket example) it might even warrant a 911 call if it's something that is likely to cause an accident. Much better, IMO, to PREVENT a serious situation whenever possible.

A test call to 911? I can only speak for our area but I think making "test" calls to Comm Centers that are already overburdened not a good idea in addition to a trivial (and possibly unlawfu) use of the service. Get a cell phone with a minimal plan - an FRS radio - or alternative device. I think making "test" calls to 911 should not be advised - not stepping on toes here - just my thought. On the topic of alternatives to 911, Florida has *FHP throughout the State for reporting Drunk Drivers, traffic obstructions and such. I know other States have similar toll-free, no charge cell services - in the case of Florida the call is routed to the Troop that is closest to the caller (by site). HAPPY & SAFE CACHING. icon_eek.gif

A test call to 911? I can only speak for our area but I think making "test" calls to Comm Centers that are already overburdened not a good idea in addition to a trivial (and possibly unlawfu) use of the service. Get a cell phone with a minimal plan - an FRS radio - or alternative device. I think making "test" calls to 911 should not be advised - not stepping on toes here - just my thought. On the topic of alternatives to 911, Florida has *FHP throughout the State for reporting Drunk Drivers, traffic obstructions and such. I know other States have similar toll-free, no charge cell services - in the case of Florida the call is routed to the Troop that is closest to the caller (by site). HAPPY & SAFE CACHING. icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by GeoStars:

Most police and fire departments have non-emergency lines.

I keep the "non-emergency" numbers for the nearest towns in my cellphone but there have been many times that I've been out and unwilling to spend the extra money for directory assistance.

Besides, city boudaries can take rather odd leaps if the road system isn't directly tied, so it's not always easy to know who to call.

911 gets you emergency help pretty much everywhere.

411 gets you "information" everywhere (that I've tried it)

I'm hoping that some other three number combo will meet the needs of the middle - nationwide. Having this work for free on cell phones only makes sense.

This wouldn't be a "What time is it?" line.

This would be the number to call when you need help but nobody's bleeding.

It might make 911 more effective.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Conner:

I keep the "non-emergency" numbers for the nearest towns in my cellphone but there have been many times that I've been out and unwilling to spend the extra money for directory assistance.

Well, you're certainly more organized than I am! icon_smile.gif I also understand about not wanting to spend money for directory assistance. When I offered the non-emergency line suggestion, I didn't know you already knew about it and took advantage of it.

quote:
I'm hoping that some other three number combo will meet the needs of the middle - nationwide. Having this work for free on cell phones only makes sense.

Agreed. It's a good suggestion but it would take some effort to get it going (read $$$) and a whole lot more effort to get people to use it. Many people around here are not familiar with 411 yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Conner:

Well, you're certainly more organized than I am! icon_smile.gif I also understand about not wanting to spend money for directory assistance. When I offered the non-emergency line suggestion, I didn't know you already knew about it and took advantage of it.

quote:

Agreed. It's a good suggestion but it would take some effort to get it going (read $$$) and a whole lot more effort to get people to use it. Many people around here are not familiar with 411 yet.

A few years ago we were caught in a brush fire in the mountains, it was coming up one canyon and was above us in another. I ahd an old cell phone (htat would take AA batteries0 and used it to call911 who patched us to the helecopter above who gave us directions out told us ot hurry and hten added I have to say this "the forest service never reccomends hiking at night" now hurry up, get out and call when you do! (it was night).

Most cell phone stores around here will confirm if your old phone will dial 911, I even got them to trade one that wouldn't for one that would. SInce i run a small buisness i have a lot of cast-offs that I pass on to fellow adventurers. The old analog motorolas would run (with a little plastic converter) on AA batteries and since I carry the batteries for everything else, this is the phone i usually take.

FInally if i use my cell phone free customer service #-611 they are usually able to tell me what number ot call to report non-life-threatening accidents or will patch me through (at no charge).

I spend too much time with my phone!

-beehiker

Please do not make test calls to 911!!!! This service is overburdened already, and doesn't need some Barney phoning up to ask "Hey Homer does this number work?" or "Homer I found the 'nine' but where's the 'eleven' on this phone?". As well most places could and will lay charges for crank calls on 911.

As far a giving your location, being as most disconnected cellphones have the same/bogus number, we geocachers have a unique ability orver the common folks in that we can give dispatchers the UTM number/address for our location by using our GPSr. Here in Ontario the ambulance dispatches all have access to and attach a "UTM code" to all call into the comm. centre.

I believe all GPSr units are able to display UTM along with LAT & LON.

GPS's...A step in the right direction!

yes there are organizations that will take old cell phones ...in my area they are homeless shelters and domestic violence centers and #2 just because someone can afford geocaching does not mean they can afford cell service --- i for one am working with priorities here -- i just finished school and am paying $750 a month in student loans .......my priorities mandated i spend $200 on a GPS not a cell phone ........ be careful where you spew you idealisatic thoughts (and for that matter i tend to be a rather idealistic aquarian soul ....but within reason) not everyone cares to/or can afford to be accessible every second of the day .............for those of us who chose not to subscribe to cell service the free 911 alternative is an ideal

an by the way ........ i don't have cable either icon_eek.gif

yes there are organizations that will take old cell phones ...in my area they are homeless shelters and domestic violence centers and #2 just because someone can afford geocaching does not mean they can afford cell service --- i for one am working with priorities here -- i just finished school and am paying $750 a month in student loans .......my priorities mandated i spend $200 on a GPS not a cell phone ........ be careful where you spew you idealisatic thoughts (and for that matter i tend to be a rather idealistic aquarian soul ....but within reason) not everyone cares to/or can afford to be accessible every second of the day .............for those of us who chose not to subscribe to cell service the free 911 alternative is an ideal

an by the way ........ i don't have cable either icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by magellin:

JMHO

magellin

Eye, Ham, We, Todd, Did

I have an active cell phone account at the cost of not having a normal home phone account. Just because someone has a GPSr does not mean they are rich, or have extra money to spare. I know three people who received there GPSr as a prize in a contest, and two others who got them as Birthday / Christmas gifts.

I got my GPSr at expense of being late for two of my monthly bills. Until I got my GPSr, I was borrowing a unit from a friend, so please do not make such assumptions as to everyone having the same finances as you might have.

I do agree that if you have a spare phone, donate it to a local organization that can use it.

Zahrim....

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night.

Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."