Compass or map screen?

I just got a new gps (explorist 510) and had a horrible time figuring out all the quirks, but finally it is working like I want it to. I have watched just about every youtube video there is on how to use a gps to geocache and most of it I knew. The one thing that surprised me is that some people use the map screen to navigate to the cache and some people use the compass. What do you use and why?

Always maps until we get within a 1/4 mile, or so, and then over to the compass. When navigating with the Nuvi in the car I will put the handheld on compass. Both gps units typically are dash or windshield mounted so I can simply grab the handheld on the way out of the car.

The compass almost always works best when on the ground heading to the cache but sometimes, with a difficult cache, I will switch back to the map to see how my tracks relate to the cache.

However... in the Pacific Northwest geocacher Moun10bike has a trail map program (Switchbacks.com) that has most the public trails on maps that we can load into our handhelds. So for caches involving trails I will typically use the map to help chose the correct trail. That is a real slick deal when there are multiple trails or when the trail heads off in a different direction from the cache. It eliminates a lot of bushwhacking.

I have a Garmin Oregon 450, so it's different than what you have, but I use the map with a twist. One of the data fields I can choose to display at the top of the map is called "Pointer". This is essentially a basic compass pointer that points in the direction of your destination. That way I have the map available to see the trails, roads, and other features, as well as an arrow pointing in the direction I need to go, all without needing to change views. I very rarely use the compass screen.

Like most things I do, I do them differently. I like to use the map only. Even back with my Sportrak I used the map, and it was just the base map with no topo.

I like the map screen because I think it helps me visualize where the cache is. I use it track up, so that I can see where I should try to head towards. I also like to see how I am walking across the ground. Must be the art school in me, It's just more 'visual'.

With our Delorme, we map all the way, zooming the screen in as necessary to 10 ft. BUT, we always have a N indicator at the top of the screen and since having used maps for better than 50 yrs, it bothers me in the least to function without a GPSr compass.

A lensatic compass is in my pocket at all times, anyway.

The real key to compass use is knowing HOW to properly use it, WHEN you need to. Just because it points to N doesn't necessarily get you out of the woods.

Many think they are following the compass on their GPSr, but they aren't. They aren't truly reading a compass, they are following the Pointer (that just happens to be on the compass dial) which points in the direction of the cache coordinates. That is not reading and using a compass. It is no different than following the arrow on the map screen.

Maybe it sounds a bit nit-picky, but there is a difference. It can equate to a major difference upon occasion. If one ventures far enough from their normal realm, they really ought to learn proper use of a compass.

Luckily, the majority of cache placements hardly require the use of a compass, a pointer suffices well enough (until you run out of batteries).

:):lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I only use the map. I have a pretty good set of topos with my GPSr so it's generally easy to understand where the cache is relative to where I am. I also use the feature that draws a line between me and the cache, so as long as my arrow is pointing along that line I know I'm heading in the right direction.

Compass and map with the Garmin. Most Garmin's made today allow you to have the compass on top (geocaching dashboard) and the map screen below. Even the Etrex 10 now has that feature.

garmin-oregon-450t.jpg

Compass with the Magellan's (although they screw up the compass as it always points up in the center)

magellan_explorist_710_gps_5.png

The green arrow is always pointing up no matter what.

...They aren't truly reading a compass, they are following the Pointer (that just happens to be on the compass dial) which points in the direction of the cache coordinates.

Yep. The compass is usually just a familiar graphic for me. I seldom pay attention to the actual compass unless it is necessary to calculate bearing to final on a puzzle or multi-cache.. It is the pointer and distance to final that are important.

I flip back and forth between the two really.

On occasion, where the topography and features of GZ have the pointer dancing back and forth like a fiddler's elbow, and I really want to try to get to zero, I'll switch to the map screen and gradually 'track in' to the pin that marks the coordinates. This has sometimes helped me find caches that I might not have found otherwise :)

Always maps until we get within a 1/4 mile, or so, and then over to the compass. When navigating with the Nuvi in the car I will put the handheld on compass. Both gps units typically are dash or windshield mounted so I can simply grab the handheld on the way out of the car.

The compass almost always works best when on the ground heading to the cache but sometimes, with a difficult cache, I will switch back to the map to see how my tracks relate to the cache.

^^^^^^

That's about what we do with the Montana 650T

I use the map view until I get roughly within that 0.1 mile range. I'm one of "those people" that uses a smartphone to cache, though. I can zoom in very easily and go back and forth between views if I'm not certain where I am in relation to it. I don't know how the interface works on the handheld GPS devices, but I imagine it is pretty much the same kind of deal.

The compass is not always useful more than 500 feet or so because it obviously just points the straight line to the cache, but in an area with lots of drives or pathways it isn't always obvious which is the best way to access GZ.

Nuvii 500 while in car driving to cache area, then the wife or caching buddy use the map in my smart phone and I use the compass in the Garmin 62sc. If I'm by myself I'll use the map in my smart phone to get the general idea of the cache location and the 62sc for the final approach to the cache.

I just got a new gps (explorist 510) and had a horrible time figuring out all the quirks, but finally it is working like I want it to. I have watched just about every youtube video there is on how to use a gps to geocache and most of it I knew. The one thing that surprised me is that some people use the map screen to navigate to the cache and some people use the compass. What do you use and why?

map first to make sure were on the right side and going along good than the compass later to get the cache

Compass all the way for me including driving from miles away. That, for me, makes figuring out how to get there a lot more fun. It also usually means a few extra miles or circling around a bit until I get close enough to park.

I think of the map as 'cheating'.

Compass all the way for me including driving from miles away. That, for me, makes figuring out how to get there a lot more fun. It also usually means a few extra miles or circling around a bit until I get close enough to park.

I think of the map as 'cheating'.

Dude-are you still using your original Yellow Etrex? That's awesome!

I have used the map and then the compass when I get closer as others have said, but after seeing A-Team's post I may try the pointer on the map screen as I also have an Oregon 450. I do like the fact that on the Oregon 450 the compass screen allows for more data ie distance to destination, time, cache name, etc to be displayed. This may still be my preference after trying the Pointer on the map screen. Time will tell. I think a lot of the choices are based on what you start doing and become familiar with.