longest unfound cache worldwide

Guest waters

Guest LazyLeopard

quote:
This one would probably classify as first virtual cache too.

The chances of any cache not physically attached to the ground and of no perceivable value staying in place for long would be quite slim.

quote:
Maybe this one should be left unfound!

Given its location, there's a more than reasonable chance the tree has been cut down for firewood anyway. I'd be tempted to try to find it next time I'm visiting Kenya just to see whether the tree's still there, and, if it is, whether there's any sign of the message...

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

quote:
Originally posted by OverTheRiver:

Assuming the cache id numbers are issued in order of placement, then it would be the "Equatorial Divine" cache in Kenya, placed on Jun 15, 2000:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=83

I'll give it a shot this weekend icon_wink.gif.

Not that it really matters, but I looked at this one, and it was found 2/27/02 ... But it was a weird log left .... (log like, at the end of the listing, not like, the tree was a log)

Godzirra (roar)

quote:
Originally posted by OverTheRiver:

Assuming the cache id numbers are issued in order of placement, then it would be the "Equatorial Divine" cache in Kenya, placed on Jun 15, 2000:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=83

I'll give it a shot this weekend icon_wink.gif.

Not that it really matters, but I looked at this one, and it was found 2/27/02 ... But it was a weird log left .... (log like, at the end of the listing, not like, the tree was a log)

Godzirra (roar)

I am not sure why previous posters here thought the log was "WIERD". KLifeDad found the cache after a two day trip to the equator to find the cache. It was an AMAZING journey. Anyone wishing to find more specific details about the cache, or good places to stay can reach me through the geocaching.com web site using my screen name of KLifeMom.

Happy Hunting!

KLifeMom and Family

KLifeMom

Nashville, Tennessee USA

Niliishi kitika nchi ya Kenya kwa miaka mawili.

I lived in Kenya for two years...

I was in the U.S. Peace Corps and we had three months of training in Naivasha (just south of town at a training center called Malaika). I also visited Lake Nakuru. The description given is perfectly consistant with the area. The sisal farms, the volcanic nature of the area (there's a huge geothermal plant in Hells Canyon), the incredible number of flamingoes, etc.

I've been thinking of making my former school (where I taught) into a geocache. Tourists never visit because it's not next to a game park, but the area is incredibly beautiful. There is wildlife within driving distance if you go just a bit to the north. It's sort of the southern extension of the same forest as Aberdare National Park. I saw monkeys, colorful tropical birds and "evidence" of elephants. The real treasure are the people. What do you think of the idea of geocachers visiting the school and the village... meeting "real" Kenyans then posting your stories online? You could ask permission from the headmaster to talk to the kids about your country. I'd know if they were real by the descriptions (emailed to me first) and by the stories about the "mzungu" (white guy) who used to live there 12 years ago. I was there for 2 years, so a lot of the young adults (who speak English) had me as a teacher.

"What do you think of the idea of geocachers visiting the school and the village... meeting "real" Kenyans then posting your stories online?"

Great idea. I would like for you to do just that! We will have another fun place to visit next time we are in Kenya. I have posted similar caches in Kenya that are virtual. One in Mwingi, one in Isovia--two beautiful "bush" communities that tourists would never have an opportunity to visit otherwise. There is so much to see in Kenya, and the people are some of the nicest I have ever met. We look forward to possibly living there one day.

KLifeMom

Nashville, Tennessee USA