Maxpedition Fatboy

Anyone have one of these that you use for caching? I wanted one as it looked like a fair size and then found out that they're:

1 - very big and,

2 - pretty expensive ($100 Cdn)

I found one online - that looks the same - called tactical mole bag and it looks similar, maybe not made with the same quality of products but it looks great - I got it for less than $20 shipped to me.

I'm thrilled, I can almost carry the dog in this thing. I'm looking forward to filling it up now!

I recently purchased the Maxpedition Sitka S-Type for about USD$100, and it's absolutely fantastic for caching. It holds everything I need and then some.

Maxpedition has a solid reputation for a reason...their stuff is virtually bulletproof. With a $20 bag, well, you're likely to get what you paid for. You might want to pack some safety pins in your kit for when the seams split and you're a mile from parking.

I figure there was a reason it was much cheaper and yes I'm not expecting the same quality

However, most places don't ship to Canada and the Canadian distributors that sell them are selling them for almost $150. I'll get to see if I like the size & feel of it. When it does rip (notice I didn't say "if") I might get a Maxpedition

I figure there was a reason it was much cheaper and yes I'm not expecting the same quality

However, most places don't ship to Canada and the Canadian distributors that sell them are selling them for almost $150. I'll get to see if I like the size & feel of it. When it does rip (notice I didn't say "if") I might get a Maxpedition

Then wouldn't you essentially be paying $20 more for a Maxpedition?

I have the Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger that we bought off of Amazon. Their prices were better than from Maxpedition's site. I've since bought a hand full of attachment pockets to customize my set up. I've been completely happy with it. Yes, it's spendy. But for me it's worth it.

I paid less than $20 for a knockoff, the stores selling the real thing in Canada sell the real thing for over $150

I might try going online when the knockoff breaks

I have a Maxpedition Sitka. I literally use it everyday and I love it-it holds more than I thought it could. I had to empty stuff out of it one trip, because it was to heavy :laughing: Maxped gear, while expensive, is high quality, not so much as a stuck zipper(which is more than I can say for the jacket I bought for the same price)

The loops are for MOLLE-that is you can add water bottle pouches, holsters(they are intended for military/police duty) etc. On cheap versions those loops will come off if you put too much weight on them.

I was looking at bags and saw this one for $100ish, and a backpack for the same price-the choice was to pay for quality(Maxpedition) or pay for name(Nike, or whatever the cool brand is now)

IMO you should get the Maxpedition bag, if you are going to use it, but if you'll only use it once, maybe twice a month to hold a GPSr, some TBs and maybe a snack or water then just get quality backpack for less than half the price.

I won a knock off bag at a geocaching event raffle... a cheap bag sold at Wally world.

8 years later, after constant use and abuse, I replaced it. It's still functional, all zippers working, no tears, but got a bigger camera, and couldn't quite stuff everything into it anymore.

I offer this as a counter to all those predicting doom and gloom for your knock off ;-) If you get a year out of it, it's done okay for you. If you get 8! hey!....

Thanks - I only get to go out once a weekend to cache - brought it out today and - and at less than $20 I'll get my money's worth if it lasts a year. if not, then I'll upgrade

It held up fine today with 2 large water bottles (although quite heavy) but we weren't out that long today cuz we headed out late today.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Take a look at the whole Maxped line. I realized the need for Maxped in my EDC.

I have a Maxpedition Mini Pocket Organizer for my EDC and I love it. I have not

filled it but I see just how easy it would be to convert it to geocaching. I would

not hesitate to get a larger bag for my geocaching gear and just use a carabeener

to clip it to my regular backpack, which is an Eagle Creek backpack.

I am pretty new to this but I would suggest that your needs determine what you get

and like mentioned above, if it endures and works for you, you don't need brand or

high price to cover you. My EDC maxped gets tossed into my bag all the time and it

is minimal as I stay pretty urban, any adventure and I pack my regular camping/frame

backpack with what I need.