Subaru Badge of Ownership need Geocaching badge

Rhialto

We all know Subaru drivers like outdoor activities... in case you didn't know, all Subaru US owners can order Badge of Ownership and show off what they like in a cute way.

What's missing is a badge with the Geocaching logo. So this message is directed to Groundspeak, please get in touch with Subaru of America so they offer a geocaching badge too.

I'm jealous of US Subaru owners, now I need to convince Subaru of America to also offer those badges in Canada.

EDIT: Good news, I was told (link) they should be available for Canadians too before the end of the year! WOOT!

Edited by Moun10Bike
Fix of typo requested by OP

Something tells me that Groundspeak would be happy to partner with Subaru, for some cash money.

Jeep had a running partnership with Groundspeak for some time. I could be wrong, but I am willing to bet that Jeep came to Groundspeak with the marketing idea, not the other way around.

Since Subaru has already separated kayaking from the outdoor sports "badge", I guess it'd be possible.

- But Groundspeak already has geocaching for vehicles with the TB decal and they make a few bucks on those.

Now that it's mentioned, I'll have to look once in awhile and see if I notice one of these things.

I can't recall when I last looked at the back of a car (in that placement), thinking it'd be just another dealership decal.

Something tells me that Groundspeak would be happy to partner with Subaru, for some cash money.

Jeep had a running partnership with Groundspeak for some time. I could be wrong, but I am willing to bet that Jeep came to Groundspeak with the marketing idea, not the other way around.

Groundspeak may think it's a so great idea that they go proactive and give them a call to say: those Badges are a great idea and we grant you the use of our logo. :-)

Since Subaru has already separated kayaking from the outdoor sports "badge", I guess it'd be possible.

- But Groundspeak already has geocaching for vehicles with the TB decal and they make a few bucks on those.

I have 2 declas on my Forester already, the logo and the large text one.

The Badge would probably be too small for everyone to notice, except other Subaru owners with badges, but I think it's more about proudness. I'm proud of my car and I love geocaching. Subaru promote outdoor activities, just like geocaching wants you to go out.

I have 2 declas on my Forester already, the logo and the large text one.

The Badge would probably be too small for everyone to notice, except other Subaru owners with badges, but I think it's more about proudness. I'm proud of my car and I love geocaching. Subaru promote outdoor activities, just like geocaching wants you to go out.

The wife bought a Forester in December (she lets me drive it all the time :laughing:) And I have indeed seen that badge of ownership on like two other Subaru's and wondered what the heck it was. Regardless if there ever is a Geocaching icon (or whatever they're called), I'm going to convince her to get one of those suckers. :)

I tweeted about it yesterday and this morning, @Subaru_Canada retweeted my tweet! ^_^

Cool, this mean all Subaru owners in North America will be able to show favorites badges.

I hope by the time those are available, there will be a geocaching lifestyle icon added to the list.

Is this forum post enough or should I also send to someone's specific email address? I want an answer from anyone at Groundspeak saying that someone will look into it eventually.

We all know Subaru drivers like outdoor activities...

In my oppinion driving a car and outdoor activities are quite the opposite (and mostly driving a car is an indoor activity anyway (as long as its not something like a Biscúter 100 :P)).

So -1 from me.

In my oppinion driving a car and outdoor activities are quite the opposite (and mostly driving a car is an indoor activity anyway (as long as its not something like a Biscúter 100 :P)).

So -1 from me.

Well, how many Forester/Outback I see with bikes on a rack, roof cargo, tents, surfboard, name it! People driving Subarus usually enjoy outdoor activities. Does that sounds better to you?

So -1 from me.

My Subarus take me to the point where I have to get on my bike or in my kayak so they are interrelated activities. :P

While we may not respond to most threads in this forum, please be aware that we are reading them all and making note of requests for future planning. I don't see anything wrong with me choosing to respond in this thread as an interested cacher and Subaru owner. Comments such as yours only serve to push away involvement in threads, not increase it.

While we may not respond to most threads in this forum, please be aware that we are reading them all and making note of requests for future planning. I don't see anything wrong with me choosing to respond in this thread as an interested cacher and Subaru owner. Comments such as yours only serve to push away involvement in threads, not increase it.

I have to say that frinklabs is not alone in his thinking. With the communication-vacuum in this forum, posts like your first one, as innocent as it may be, look pretty bad. If there was a reasonable level of communication, posts like yours wouldn't be such outliers. There must be some happy medium that's greater than zero. If you don't want to have unreasonable expectations regarding the implementation of a suggestion, then just state that an acknowledgement does not necessarily mean that the suggestion will ever be implemented.

I also want to make it clear that I have no problem at all with you, Moun10Bike. The frustration above is directed toward the policy, not you. Keep up the good work!

No, there is nothing wrong with you having replied to this (basically frivolous) thread.

What is of concern is the complete lack of response by anyone from the lillypad in threads of a much more 'serious' nature.

OK, we get it that all threads are being monitored...so far, so good.

The differences speaks volumes.

Allow me to lighten the mood. :P As the domain name owner of an un-named alternative Geocaching website, and the co-owner of Mrs. Yuck's Forester, I too have contacted Subaru regarding this matter. I wonder how fast this can happen? I guess I should wait before ordering one. B)

You probably saw there is only one badge with colors... I mean a single color. I wonder if the geocaching one will have 4 colors? If you had to vote on this, what would be your choice?

I think I would not minf white only. The current in color is a very special one and I don't think the geocaching one need to stand out from others.

You probably saw there is only one badge with colors... I mean a single color. I wonder if the geocaching one will have 4 colors?

It depends which logo is used. The four-coloured one is specific to this website. The non-partisan international geocaching logo is this one, which is monochrome:

220px-Geocaching.svg.png

To me it would seem more correct to use this one.

You probably saw there is only one badge with colors... I mean a single color. I wonder if the geocaching one will have 4 colors?

It depends which logo is used. The four-coloured one is specific to this website. The non-partisan international geocaching logo is this one, which is monochrome:

To me it would seem more correct to use this one.

I snipped out the image. I suppose it would be more correct to use that one, but I'm sure no one would be offended if the Groundspeak logo were used. Although there doesn't seem to be any other official "logo's" there.

Only 3 of the available icons have any sort of text. I wonder if they'd allow the word "Geocaching", whether it be below the pubic domain Leatherman variant G, or the Groundspeak logo.

Edited by Mr.Yuck
I wonder if they'd allow the word "Geocaching"

It would not be readable so I hope not.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Well, I will let you know if I hear anything. Who knows how many people have contacted them, after reading this thread. Most of them probably lurkers, who haven't posted. :)

Yeah, I guess you're right. Well, I will let you know if I hear anything. Who knows how many people have contacted them, after reading this thread. Most of them probably lurkers, who haven't posted. :)

Don't be too optimist about people participating... in the other thread on another forum (see OP), I kindly asked to reply if they gave a call (with intructions where to call and that it would take less than 2 minutes) and nobody did.

I doubt anyone here (except you and me) contacted them. Most will rely on Moun10Bike post...

Edited by Rhialto

[i wonder if they'd allow the word "Geocaching",

There is no reason not to use the word. In the early days of the game, Jeremy (or Grounded, Inc.) moved to make "geocaching" a trademark, but the community did not take kindly to that since Matt Stum coined the term and it was in common usage.

Later, Jeremy wrote,

I did file a trademark for Geocaching. My intent was to protect the name from being trademarked by some other entity, and enforced to remove the use of geocaching as the name of the game. If you check out netsaint.org (great program, by the way), you'll see the result of not claiming a trademark. Fortunately, the game has gotten enough press and the name is now widespread enough where it is unnecessary to protect the name. Therefore I am no longer pursuing the trademark, except as it related to sales of goods with the Geocaching logo designed by Grounded, Inc.

So in any event, there should be no problem with the term itself and the public domain logo. Use of the Groundspeak logo, of course, would require Groundspeak's permission.

Edited by geodarts

[i wonder if they'd allow the word "Geocaching",

There is no reason not to use the word. In the early days of the game, Jeremy (or Grounded, Inc.) moved to make "geocaching" a trademark, but the community did not take kindly to that since Matt Stum coined the term and it was in common usage.

Later, Jeremy wrote,

I did file a trademark for Geocaching. My intent was to protect the name from being trademarked by some other entity, and enforced to remove the use of geocaching as the name of the game. If you check out netsaint.org (great program, by the way), you'll see the result of not claiming a trademark. Fortunately, the game has gotten enough press and the name is now widespread enough where it is unnecessary to protect the name. Therefore I am no longer pursuing the trademark, except as it related to sales of goods with the Geocaching logo designed by Grounded, Inc.

So in any event, there should be no problem with the term itself and the public domain logo. Use of the Groundspeak logo, of course, would require Groundspeak's permission.

Misunderstanding, Geo-Darts! I can see it happening though, since we drifted to discussing the public domain "G", and the Geocaching.com symbol. I meant that I wonder if Subaru would allow the word Geocaching on the little icon badge. Out of all the ones they have, only 3 of them have text. One is the word "Love", and they have "100K" and "200K". Spelling out Geocaching would be a bit much, I imagine.

No fair!! I'm a toyota owner (tacoma) and love the outdoors too. If Groundspeak does anything with a 'badge of honor' - it should include all makes & models of vehicles!!

Besides...My truck has more ground clearance than a Subaru. I can go FARTHER into the woods. :anitongue::laughing:

Cuz, I want one!!

Looks like it would be "next year". Maybe. Here's what I received:

Dear Mr. Yuck, (It really said my real last name, but Mr. Yuck is funnier)

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and support of this particular badge. I would recommend that you check back next year to see if this new badge will be made available. We are always working to improve our products and appreciate your input.

Best wishes,

[NAME REDACTED]

Subaru of America, Inc.

Looks like it would be "next year". Maybe. Here's what I received:

Kind of generic reply and the lady wasn't probably aware that... Groundspeak will get in touch with Subaru and this could well speed up the things.

I totally agree. I just used the "contact us" form. Groundspeak probably called. This could be done much faster than next year. :P

As a Subaru owner, I can get behind this! :D I've forwarded the information on to our marketing folk.

So, 7 months later... anyone in the marketing had anything to say?

I just requested an update with Subaru Canada, they were supposed to have Badges available at the end of summer. I don't know what happened.

Our merchandise lead contacted Subaru 3 times, but never got a response. I think it will take more people from all over requesting the badge in order to make it happen.

Just discovering this cool accessory from this thread. If you order a badge, you have the ability to suggest another topic. I bet if enough geocachers order them with a geocaching suggestion...that might get their attention.

Our merchandise lead contacted Subaru 3 times, but never got a response. I think it will take more people from all over requesting the badge in order to make it happen.

I got a response at least, and I did identify myself as the domain name owner of an alternative Geocaching website. (The response is posted a few replies up). If I remember correctly, I was just logged into Subaru.com as an owner of a vehicle, and found a general "contact us" form.

Just discovering this cool accessory from this thread. If you order a badge, you have the ability to suggest another topic. I bet if enough geocachers order them with a geocaching suggestion...that might get their attention.

Of course I didn't actually order a badge, because I was waiting until the Geocaching one could be added. I want a stinkin' Geocaching Badge!

Edited by Mr.Yuck

As a Subaru owner, I can get behind this! :D I've forwarded the information on to our marketing folk.

Ha! What a chance having an admin owning a Subaru! Thanks!

Let's see in a month if this have progressed...

Well, it's actually a good chance, as Subaru's are quite common in the NW. :D

As a new Subaru owner, I just ordered my badge and commented a geocaching badge was needed.

As a new Subaru owner, I just ordered my badge and commented a geocaching badge was needed.

We're on our 4th Subaru, and I requested a GC badge when ordering both sets of badges as well.

Subarus are very popular here. Jeeps, not so much.

They outsell them, and most events I've attended or view images of...Jeep WAY more common. Remember the whole Jeep Travel Bug thing!!!! Sorry...but this time, you are just wrong.

Wait...I forget, you are in Canada aren't you.

They are popular in the Northwest.

Subarus are very popular here. Jeeps, not so much.

They outsell them, and most events I've attended or view images of...Jeep WAY more common. Remember the whole Jeep Travel Bug thing!!!! Sorry...but this time, you are just wrong.

Wait...I forget, you are in Canada aren't you.

They are popular in the Northwest.

Colorado too.

Not that it representative of the members, but someone take a picture of GS HQ parking lot. I wager more Jeep than Subaru.

If there is still any interest in this topic, I just received an email from Subaru offering a chance for owners to suggest new lifestyle icons. I put my vote in for geocaching. Spread the word. It appears that if enough people ask for it, it might happen. Here's the web address:

https://www.badgeofownership.com/vote/new

Use the "Suggest your own" window just above the "Submit" button.

Edited by SeekinKsTN