[Feature Request] Suspend eMail Notifications

_SoP_

Sometimes, people need to travel and are absent from home without having access to emails and without possibilities to go for a cache hunt. When returning back home, one gets flooded with gc emails.

Wouldn't it be possible to create a "Suspend eMail Notifications" function in the user's profile settings, that allows to temporarily suspend sending

- all eMails

or individually

- Notification emails (on published, archived etc caches)

- Found/DNF/Note etc emails on owned caches and trackables

- Pocket Queries

I currently have 20 PQ running, distributed all over the week. When on vacation or on business travel, I don't need publish emails or PQs, and it is a hazzle to switch all off and back on again, re-create notifications etc.

Anyone who supports this great idea :anibad: ?

I find it's just as easy to set up a rule to route them all into a particular mailbox, then you can just delete the entire contents of that mailbox if you're not interested in a week's worth of emails. It also means you get the functionality within minutes rather than based on Groundspeak's apparently rather glacial development schedule.

I find it's just as easy to set up a rule to route them all into a particular mailbox,

I do this already, but why sending millions of useless emails? I like the idea of prevention before dealing with disposal. Applies to almost everything - waste, packaging, CO2, energy, and emails, of course ;)

I find it's just as easy to set up a rule to route them all into a particular mailbox,

I do this already, but why sending millions of useless emails? I like the idea of prevention before dealing with disposal. Applies to almost everything - waste, packaging, CO2, energy, and emails, of course ;)

In an ideal world it might be a nice feature to have but there are so many other features that would be nice to have it's hard to see this one being a priority, especially given an alternative solution (the mailbox rule) is already available.

I think this is an excellent idea.

I'll be away from internet access for a full week this summer and I know when I come back there's going to be hundreds of emails. :yikes:

A master on/off switch would be nice but owned cache logs should absolutely not be included.

Pocket queries (uncheck them on the grid)

Each notification has the ability to pause (edit the notificatio)

So you're asking for a way to stop notifications of owned caches and trackables?

I don't think that's a good idea

It would be nice to be able to pause them with one click. Thats alot of work to unchecked all those off the grid. Would be nice to be able to pause all those caches that are on the watchlist as well.

About owned caches and trackables? no...dont change those.

It would be nice to be able to pause them with one click. Thats alot of work to unchecked all those off the grid. Would be nice to be able to pause all those caches that are on the watchlist as well.

Exactly this is what I mean.

Edit:

And to enable all PQs again is much more work due to the 5-per-day-restriction - needs proper distribution all over the week; not to mention removing and re-adding all watchlist items.

Edited by _SoP_

Pocket queries (uncheck them on the grid)

Each notification has the ability to pause (edit the notificatio)

So you're asking for a way to stop notifications of owned caches and trackables?

Let's see, I have 12 weekly PQs. Not a big issue turning them off except for the fact that the thing refreshes every time you click, and then loads at the top of the page. I also have 30 bookmark lists with notifications, 20 Notifications covering different areas, types, logs and radius, as well as the Watchlist. It could easily take an hour to change the settings on all of this.

A master switch that turned all of that off would be cool. Turning of owner logs? NEVER! I would never support any option to do so.

I could probably delete the uninteresting emails faster than I could disable the sending of them, but I can see how this might possibly somehow remotely be potentially useful to someone. <_<

I don't think it is that difficult to highlight a block of emails and hit DELETE. Perhaps my email client makes it too simple for me. :unsure:

Would be nice to be able to pause all those caches that are on the watchlist as well.

The watchlist is a basic level feature. Consider transitioning to bookmarks, a premium member feature. With one click in a checkbox, you can turn notifications on or off for any bookmark list.

Would be nice to be able to pause all those caches that are on the watchlist as well.

The watchlist is a basic level feature. Consider transitioning to bookmarks, a premium member feature. With one click in a checkbox, you can turn notifications on or off for any bookmark list.

Yes I know, but still, if you got many bookmarks, its still plenty of work to go and uncheck everything.

So, back to the OP request:

Would be nice to have one button to pause it all.

Well, I don't know. There are tons of cache owners who ignore requests for maintenance, some of them for years. Surely they are getting these emails, but ignoring them.

I think if someone's motivated to keep up their caches, they will. If they're not, they won't.

There are tons of cache owners who ignore requests for maintenance, some of them for years. Surely they are getting these emails, but ignoring them.

I think a good chunk of those aren't actually seeing the emails. This could be due to a change of email address, spam filter, etc. I've suggested a few changes that could help prevent this, but who knows if they'll ever be considered for implementation.

As for the discussion at hand, I vote for not having a turn-off-owner-notifications button. I think too many people would abuse it and we'd end up with even more lack-of-maintenance problems than we already have. However, for PQs, watchlist, etc., such a function could be handy.

I still use the Watchlist because of the ease of adding and removing items. It's always my intention that adding a cache to my Watchlist will be a somewhat temporary thing, but sometimes they just get stuck there forever.

At any rate, I was just noting that I could see the benefit of such a feature. Realistically, AZ is correct. Because all of my email is downloaded using a mail client and then sorted into folders, I can make a mass quantity of it disappear in a matter of seconds.

Well, I don't know. There are tons of cache owners who ignore requests for maintenance, some of them for years. Surely they are getting these emails, but ignoring them.

I think if someone's motivated to keep up their caches, they will. If they're not, they won't.

But why make it easier?

But why make it easier?

Should everything center on those who neglect their caches?

The point of the feature request is to help responsible geocache owners out who are going on vacation and need a break from the emails.

RESPONSIBLE geocache owners won't want or need such a 'break' and would be willing to wade through the seemingly endless pile of email related to their caches in order to sift out the few that would actually require some attention.

Or perhaps they would be clever enough to create an email filter that keyed on phrases like 'needs maintenance' and 'wet logbook'. :unsure:

RESPONSIBLE geocache owners won't want or need such a 'break'

There's at least 1 that does. If I come back from my holiday, I can easily look to see if there are any needs maintenance flags without reading through a million emails.

I guess I don't get it...

There's another thread in the forums where folks are saying they want to read online logs for their hides and that those who don't log online are somehow rude.

Now that all changes and they can't be bothered if they're stacked up because of vacation?

There's at least 1 that does. If I come back from my holiday, I can easily look to see if there are any needs maintenance flags without reading through a million emails.

Suppose someone wants to politely mention the logbook in your cache is wet, without rubbing it in your face with a NM log?

You will need to see that message so you can post the NM for yourself. :lol:

P.S. The desire to ignore logs on your caches could leave you out of the 'responsible' category. <_<

You get a million emails on your caches? Okay, it's an exaggeration, but do you really get more email on your caches than you can handle? I've placed 194 caches and currently have 135 active and I have read every single notification that has been mailed to me. I look forward to reading them. Around here, most people will not post a NM for minor things unless it's obvious that the CO is ignoring the friendly comments that are posted in past find logs. If someone is going to take the time to report on the condition of my cache in their find log, I want to read it. Many times, they are reporting that the cache is in good condition, which is something I like to hear about.