Kathmandu Quality

scottmcblane

I need to get a few things to do a 2 night hike in the Blue Mountains (NSW)?

Should I get my stuff from Kathmandu, Mountain Designs, Macpac? etc.

What do you think? Fellow Australians I ask for your help :)

Purely depends on what you want. Kathmandu tends to be a bit pricey but is always on sale.

I personally got stuff for a recent camp at mixed places after doing comparison:

Sleeping bag at Mountain Designs

Tent at Kathmandu

Backpack at Kangaroo Tent City (It's in Chatswood)

Anaconda for bits and bobs (Heximine, Matches etc)

Bear in mind that Anaconda Will Price Beat so look online and then go to the one in Belrose (assuming I can approximate your location)

Good luck

Edited by akkatracker

I need to get a few things to do a 2 night hike in the Blue Mountains (NSW)?

Should I get my stuff from Kathmandu, Mountain Designs, Macpac? etc.

What do you think? Fellow Australians I ask for your help :)

Purely depends on what you want. Kathmandu tends to be a bit pricey but is always on sale.

I personally got stuff for a recent camp at mixed places after doing comparison:

Sleeping bag at Mountain Designs

Tent at Kathmandu

Backpack at Kangaroo Tent City (It's in Chatswood)

Anaconda for bits and bobs (Heximine, Matches etc)

Bear in mind that Anaconda Will Price Beat so look online and then go to the one in Belrose (assuming I can approximate your location)

Good luck

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you find that the quality of all those products are good?

Anaconda is probably the cheapest but for some reason I don't associate Anaconda with quality. Is this wrong thinking?

Anaconda is basically a supermarket for outdoor stuff.

Yeah it's not all flash and professionally designed but it sells other trusted brands like Garmin, Avanti, Giant etc.

When you buy from Anaconda you generally get something that another company has made (it's a retailer) whereas Kathmandu sells its own stuff.

The quality really isn't that bad.

Anaconda is basically a supermarket for outdoor stuff.

Yeah it's not all flash and professionally designed but it sells other trusted brands like Garmin, Avanti, Giant etc.

When you buy from Anaconda you generally get something that another company has made (it's a retailer) whereas Kathmandu sells its own stuff.

The quality really isn't that bad.

Ok cool. Good to know :) thanks for all your help :)

I am probably a bushwalking snob but my attitude to Kathmandu gear is that if I need to depend on it, I don't buy it from Kathmandu. I cannot recall ever buying anything from them that I haven't regretted either because of the quality or the price so now days I don't bother. I prefer to plan in advance as much as possible to allow me to get my quality gear at a reasonable price from other sources.

That last time I was in Kathmandu was to look at wool garments (Icebreaker style) and I ended up buying Icebreaker from NZ for less and far better quality.

Check out the Bushwalking Australia forums for advice on good quality camping and bushwalking gear.

Regards

Andrew