NOT logging online

I recently had to temporarily disable one of my caches so I went out and retrieved it and brought it home. While cleaning it up I decided to read over the cache log. Now, this cache is pretty new and only has 3 finds logged online, but I found there are actually 6 sigs on the log sheet. So basically this cache has twice as many finds as what the online logs show.

Does anyone find this unusual? Is this just a byproduct of smartphone caching, where users don't even have to log in to the site to play? I really enjoy getting an email that someone has found one of my caches and reading their comments...it disappoints me a little to discover that there are people finding my cache and I don't even find out about it.

I'll admit I very seldom go out and check on my caches just so. If I receive a NM or even a DNF I'll go out and check to make sure it's still there and in good shape, but I never really check the log. Kind of makes me wonder now how many finds my other caches actually have.

I also noticed that the logs which had no online match were all signed with their regular name...no caching handles or nicknames. That sort of supports the smartphone caching theory.

I'm not a numbers hound by any means but I can't imagine not keeping up with my finds online. I like going back and reading my old logs and keeping track of my stats. Just going out and finding caches and having absolutely no record of the experience would take a lot of the fun out of it, for me at least. Kind of like going on vacation and not taking any pictures 😟

Geocaching has 3 rules

1. You sign the log
  2. If you trade, you leave something of greater value that what you took
  3. You share your experience online

Guess which rule causes the least amount of forum angst. :mellow:

The last one...

A cache here got archived today due to the property owner said it was on her land. The problem was this, nobody said anything about the first warning she gave out. The second time, she was royally mad. There is a die hard cacher (I believe it was them that got the first warning) in that cache and live in that general area that never log anything, they dont even sign the cache log either. I know who they are due to buying something from them years ago. This is a serious problem. If I got a cache, I want to hear any confronts or anything in that nature.

Edited by SwineFlew

There are a number of people who do not wish to get associated with the social aspects of geocaching. They sign logs, but do not log on-line. If they wish to have it count as a "Found It" on the website, then they would have to log it on-line (presumbably after signing the log). (Despite some anti-puritanism threats to scratch their name off the log...) It is not unusual. Some people hunt caches for the fun aspect, and avoid the social aspects. That is their prerogative.

I do, sometimes, wonder about the modern digitalized world, and the lack of privacy. We were hunting a cache about 15 miles north. Someone came out of a nearby house and said "Ah! You're Harry Dolphin. I recognize you from the photo on your page." (Since changed to a photo of Flipper...) Hunh?!?

Met a cacher on Sunday at a cache. "I'm Harry Dolphin." "Yes. I've been following your adventures for a fair while now." Hunh?!? I've found a few of his cache, and he's found a few of ours. But he's at least twenty miles away. I realize that we have some sort of a local reputation, though I have no idea as to why.

That does concern me! Maybe I should just start using a BookMark List instead of logging on-line?

Does anyone find this unusual?

I've encountered the same thing, and I'll say with confidence that this predates the smartphone era of geocaching.

Some people just don't feel the need, or have the desire, to log their finds online. I like it when people post a log after finding (or searching for) my caches (and the caches that I have on my watch list), but I think our hobby has plenty of room for those who don't feel the need to do so.

I know people who are very casual cachers who do this. I also know of a husband and wife caching team that do alot of caching, but never log online. I sometimes compare my paper logs to online logs and always find MORE names on the paper log than online.

I personally think it's rude not to log your finds online, especially if go caching alot. It's a simple way of saying thank-you and acknowledging the effort the cache owner has made.

In a bit city, I guess it doesn't matter much, but the husband and wife team I mentioned live in a small town. One of the caches they found was out in the middle of nowhere and there is only 1 log on the cache page (the FTF). I think the cache owner would have appreciated knowing there was a 2nd visit, at least by email if they really didn't want to log it online.

I've only compared the physical log to online logs a couple of times, but both times there were quite a few signatures that never logged it online. I don't have exact numbers right now, but I think it was on the order of 15% on caches with ~100-200 finds. Some were clearly muggles that accidentally found the cache, but others were nicknames that I couldn't find with the "Find another player" search.

Geocaching has 3 rules

1. You sign the log
  2. If you trade, you leave something of greater value that what you took
  3. You share your experience online

Guess which rule causes the least amount of forum angst. :mellow:

HA!

It's a 'trick question'! :P

It would take weeks/months of research and a cadre of NASA analysts to answer that one. :lol:

In any case, I don't normally reconcile logbooks.

The few times I did (which compelled me to delete logs) left me with an unpleasant, hollow feeling. :(

I have run out to do spot-checks when I though something was up, and have deleted logs from 'finders' who should have been the last to sign...but there was no signature.

If someone signs the log but doesn't log online, it's no fuzz off my peach. B)

Some people just don't feel the need, or have the desire, to log their finds online.

I wonder why they feel the need to sign the physical logbook.

The act of physically adding a signature of some sort to paper logs in hidden caches predates the Geocaching.com concept of an online signature (summit registers, letterboxing). My guess is that not everyone who accomplishes something in the physical world feels the need to perform a follow-up act in the online world.

I have a friend who I have known for about 35 years, not long after I started caching in 2008 he came caching with me and created a GC account. He logged his first 25 or so caches but since then hasn't bothered, I would guess his count to be close to 500. He considers it a hassle, and he doesn't feel like doing it.

He only caches when he comes along with me. Each to their own I guess.

I still bump into a few I know don't log online.

Usually see them well after a hides been out and only on extended hikes in the woods hides.

Some have trail names not associated with geocaching.com, as many AT hikers I've met do and those are the names left in the log.

I asked one once and he said he enjoyed a walk in the woods and hopefully seeing a new spot, but not interested in the online end other than coordinates.

We chat and sometimes (cooler weather mostly) we'll share a stove and make coffee (and a Monte), so they aren't antisocial people either.

To the ones here who say these people are rude...

These folks are still writing wordy logs (when there's a decent log book), never trade, but usually leave something and don't touch trackables.

One lady even draws pictures of butterflies, rare plants, animals and birds she spotted while hiking to the cache.

Last log of hers I spotted in Fall last year had a drawing of a beaver gnawed tree alongside a poem.

- I'll take that over a TFTC online log any day.

I occasionally take some of my cousins caching with me. They all sign the log( only one out of 5 uses a nickname), but since they only go caching with me they don't have accounts here. That may be the case here. Of course I mention I was with others in my log.

It may also be some people who found it by accident. They may know what geocaching is, a signed it for fun. After all someone usually asks if the bomb squad signs the geocaches they find? The same idea really...found the cache but not looking for the cache.

My Dad and his wife are occassional geocachers and not particularly internet savvy. The only reason they have caches to find is because I loaded their GPS for them (which means they are using stale info from about five months ago). So logging online isn't a priority for them. They do keep copious notes about the caches they find - on paper in a notebook. The next time I visit, I suppose I could log all their finds online, but then that information will be stale for everyone else as well.

My brother goes caching with me sometimes. He is not into the game as much as I am. He never goes out by himself, only when I ask him along.

He hasn't logged many of his caches on line because he just never gets around to it. He has a list somewhere and intends to log them sometime, but don't hold your breath. B):)

I know of another person who goes occasionally, but doesn't log. She doesn't like to write, and is afraid of how people will feel about her spelling, etc.

To me the social aspects are a large part of the fun.

I basically quit caching for several years because it was a hassle with my old Magellan Meridian and I didn't really know any other cachers.

However I got a new GPSr last year and started caching again if for no other reason than to learn the new GPSr. Then I happened to meet another geocacher on the trail, found out two of my snowmobiling friends are big-time geocachers, and met more people at the GC4234D 2013 Long Lake Mid-Winter Geocaching Get-Together in Long Lake . I'm still usually caching by myself but I think if I was just doing it by myself with no connection to other cachers I'd lose interest.

I never cross-check the cache log books with the on-line logs. The way I look at it, this is just a game and if people want to lie about a find that's their loss.

oops duplicate post. I can't delete so I'll edit...

It was fun meeting other cachers at the Mid-Winter event, so I'm thinking of setting up a simple meet and greet. I know there are several cachers near me that i haven't met yet.

Edited by KC2WI

I have seen a couple of physical signatures with no accompanying on line log in my caches. Of course occasionally you get an online log of the sort "I found this 6 months ago but forgot to log it online", which may also explain it.

And slightly off-topic, but related, there's a well known cacher in my area who will often not log his find at all, either physically or online. He loves to get the FTF, and loves to surprise people with his ability to find difficult caches. When there's a series with clues to find a bonus, if he doesn't get the FTF on some of the caches he'll often not log his finds, so that he can still get the bonus and surprise everyone. This has caused some hassle, as some cache owners find it unfair that a cacher can find a difficult bonus if they haven't logged all previous finds, and there's even some suspicion that the cacher in question can somehow mysteriously see the final coordinates of mysteries and multis. However the positive side effect is that it's pushed COs in the area to make incredibly inventive caches, to ensure that people find all stages of multis, or provide some other proof of finding other caches, so in the end the rest of us benefit!

With those not logged on-line using their regular names do you not think that they are not cachers at all and muggles who found the cache and signed the log. There are a few caches here in Cape Town South Africa where this has happened. Just a thought.

In this case, no, not at all. The cache is this one. It was hidden in the cab of a retired fire engine parked behind one of our fire stations. There is no way someone would have stumbled across it by accident.

It bugs me a little bit that finders of my caches don't log them online, but only because I like to hear about it when someone finds one (doesn't everybody?) But I'm not going to get all angsty about it...just curious if other CO's are having this same experience. I have another cache that has a couple of not-logged-online sigs that I've discovered, but not 50% like this one (of course, it only had 6 finds so far...I'm sure over time that percentage will level out to something less)

I am in such a rural area that it's often a couple of months between finds on some of my caches. If I were in a busy area and I had a lot of caches out, and I was getting find notifications a several times a week, I might feel a little differently. But getting that e-mail is actually a surprise for me when I get one because they're so few and far between.

Then again, my kids (22 and 15) sometimes accompany me and although they both have accounts, they never log our finds either... :rolleyes:

Does anyone find this unusual?

I've encountered the same thing, and I'll say with confidence that this predates the smartphone era of geocaching.

I will not only agree with this, but I will say that in my experience, finding without logging online was more prevalent years ago. This may shock some people, but until 2006 or 2007 (exact date forgotten) you did not need an account to see the cache coordinates. :o

And although they're all just a pimple on the butt of a 2 Ton Gorilla, you still do not need an account to see coordinates on most "alternative" Geocaching websites.

When my daughter goes with me she insists I write her nickname in the log too.

Is it not possible some of these folks are just out with other 'official' online cachers and perhaps don't have their own account but play along? While I'm sure there are lone cachers who do not sign logs (paper OR online, or either), it seems just as likely - perhaps more likely - that they are just part of a team or group and sign their name because their friend has even though they have no intention of pursuing it as any kind of hobby or activity in their own time.

Is it not possible some of these folks are just out with other 'official' online cachers and perhaps don't have their own account but play along? While I'm sure there are lone cachers who do not sign logs (paper OR online, or either), it seems just as likely - perhaps more likely - that they are just part of a team or group and sign their name because their friend has even though they have no intention of pursuing it as any kind of hobby or activity in their own time.

I suppose that's a possibility as well, I hadn't considered that. Good point.

I suppose that's a possibility as well, I hadn't considered that. Good point.

And my daughter is six, so she doesn't have her own account. Sometimes it's just fun to participate when you are out with others, but in your own time you either can't or won't devote time to it. It may not even be a planned outing with friends/family...but sometimes when I'm out I open up the app and discover there's a cache nearby, so on at least one occasion I enlisted help from people I'm with in finding it.

I recently had to temporarily disable one of my caches so I went out and retrieved it and brought it home. While cleaning it up I decided to read over the cache log. Now, this cache is pretty new and only has 3 finds logged online, but I found there are actually 6 sigs on the log sheet. So basically this cache has twice as many finds as what the online logs show.

Does anyone find this unusual? Is this just a byproduct of smartphone caching, where users don't even have to log in to the site to play? I really enjoy getting an email that someone has found one of my caches and reading their comments...it disappoints me a little to discover that there are people finding my cache and I don't even find out about it.

I'll admit I very seldom go out and check on my caches just so. If I receive a NM or even a DNF I'll go out and check to make sure it's still there and in good shape, but I never really check the log. Kind of makes me wonder now how many finds my other caches actually have.

I also noticed that the logs which had no online match were all signed with their regular name...no caching handles or nicknames. That sort of supports the smartphone caching theory.

I'm not a numbers hound by any means but I can't imagine not keeping up with my finds online. I like going back and reading my old logs and keeping track of my stats. Just going out and finding caches and having absolutely no record of the experience would take a lot of the fun out of it, for me at least. Kind of like going on vacation and not taking any pictures 😟

There's also geocachers that don't log online they just go to the cache

My sons do this as well - they like to log as Team Pander or Team Squirrel. I've been with other people as well who do log online sometimes but have written names in logs that they didn't have open on their app after I found the cache.

There's also a potential point regarding digital footprints. I reckon, for example, you could be fairly clear about which day would be best to burgle me if you looked at when I log most of the caches I find. All you need is my home coordinates and about three minutes on google and I reckon you could find out just about anything you needed to know to do that. Privacy's a massive issue to some people so I can see why that would put a proportion of people off.

I'm in the minority here. I think the on-line log should simply be a check box designating that I found it for my own records. The story of my find belongs in the log book, not on the web site.

If the log book is too small to write in, no story.

I've had as many as three muggles go with me to a cache. They have a bit of interest in the game, but have not formed an account. Yet they insist on signing to complete the experience! If someone audited the logs, they'd scratch their noggin and wonder why only 25% of cachers are logging their finds online!

It also is not unusual for cachers to wait weeks, months or even a year or two before getting their online logs caught up. We have at least a couple in our area who are often behind over a year and we generally waited a few weeks (sometimes a month or two) before logging with the exception of our last few outings.

Is this just a byproduct of smartphone caching, where users don't even have to log in to the site to play?
I've met geocachers who never post "Found It" logs online. The story is that they started geocaching before online logs were possible (and thus, well before smartphones), and saw no need to use online logs when they became available. Although they do occasionally post Notes to caches.

And I've taken newbies to caches, and they've signed the logs without ever creating a geocaching.com account, and this has been going on since well before I had a smartphone app. And frankly, the newbies don't care whether I use a smartphone app or a handheld GPSr; they won't change their behavior either way.

I'm in the minority here. I think the on-line log should simply be a check box designating that I found it for my own records. The story of my find belongs in the log book, not on the web site.

Well, of the ones I've found, there have probably only been a dozen or so large enough to write more than a sentence or two. Based on the condition of many, I doubt anyone would ever read anything I wrote.

I guess I just don't understand the logic, though. Technology is necessary to find it, but logging it should be kept "old school"? In my mind, the two go hand in hand...I use a sophisticated device to find it and share my finds with others. Sometimes the online logs are HUGE help in finding the cache and understanding how others found it or what they did that day.

I prefer to save space in the physical log book for future finders, and almost always enter just my name and the date. I figure it will help to prevent the cache owner from having to make a visit just to replace a full log book any sooner than necessary.

I save my "real" log that tells about my experience for the on-line log. The cache owner will be able to read my log as soon as they open the e-mail message, rather than maybe months later when they actually visit the cache. Also, if I wrote my detailed log in the physical log book and not on-line, the only person likely to ever read it will be the cache owner. Who knows, my log might encourage a future seeker to look for the cache when they read my log on-line.

This is especially important when the cache needs maintenance; in that case, there's just no substitute for an on-line log.

--Larry

To me the point of the log book writing a story in it. most of these people don't come back to get there logs now a days we told one guy his log was full come get it and he basically did not care. so writing a whole story could get lost cause the log gets damaged and wet so writing a date and time seems OK to me cause why should I waste my time writing a story when the owner doesn't even come back to maintain his cache or even get his log book.

I save my "real" log that tells about my experience for the on-line log. The cache owner will be able to read my log as soon as they open the e-mail message, rather than maybe months later when they actually visit the cache. Also, if I wrote my detailed log in the physical log book and not on-line, the only person likely to ever read it will be the cache owner. Who knows, my log might encourage a future seeker to look for the cache when they read my log on-line.

Exactly. If you have a story to tell, tell it online so the cache owner (and others) can read it right away. Also, many logbooks go missing or get wet and the ink runs. Also, writing a story in the logbook takes up space so the cache owner will have to replace the logbook more often. It's just much better to save your stories for online.

You want your online log to be a simple checkbox? You do realize if this was the case, people would stop placing caches? We're not going to go to all the trouble of placing and maintaining a cache just so you can check a box.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

To me, when I first started finding logsheets in swag size caches, it felt like the cache owner didn't care if I wrote something on the sheet or not. Most likely he preferred that I didn't write anything because he didn't want to maintain his cache more then maybe once every couple of years (or at all). He was likely going to toss the full sheet in the nearest garbage can and grumble when he saw more then a line used up by a finder.

Another community-sharing aspect of geocaching was dying out.

As a CO I looked forward to finding notes in our logbooks - something about taking pen to paper at the cache site, makes the note special, a memento. Reading other cachers' hand written notes was a nice part of the experience of finding a cache. So, when folks started using logsheets for every cache size, I had a feeling that my logbooks would eventually no longer contain paragraphs of personal prose. That has become the sad fact. No matter how big our logbooks are people are writing only trailname and date. The occasional person writes a sentence. In the past what people wrote in the logbook, was different from the online log. It was nice to read both.

I hope the folks that only sign the physical logbook are writing something that shares their experience with the CO.

Edited by L0ne R

You want your online log to be a simple checkbox? You do realize if this was the case, people would stop placing caches? We're not going to go to all the trouble of placing and maintaining a cache just so you can check a box.

I don't place caches with any expectations. I don't expect favorite points. I don't expect long online logs (or any log at all), I don't even expect the caches will be found very often. Certainly when someone takes the time to find one of my caches I appreciate it. And if they post a nice story about their experience or give it a favorite point, it pleases me. I might even thank the person if they do something unexpected, but they shouldn't expect that.

I also don't expect that people will help out by leaving throwdowns when they can't find my cache or that they will post Needs Maintenace over some minor issue. But that happens too.

I put out caches like the ones I enjoy finding in hopes that others will enjoy them. That is my motivation. If I find a signature in a cache that has no online log, I no longer cross it out. Instead I imagine that someone enjoyed the cache enough to write their name in the log book. :mellow:

Edited by tozainamboku

I one of these "doesn't log online" people. I'm probably getting close to the tipping point of having not logged more than I have...

Not logging just happened over time for me. Now I don't feel I need to log unless there is a problem, a DNF, or I feel like sharing a story (maybe that makes me a bad lazy cacher...)

And it was mentioned about people signing with there realnames, I also do that.

This thinking comes from some back-packing trips I had taken through Canyonlands National Park 'way back when'. Often at the starting point there was a register or log book to sign in so the rangers could know if there was anyone in the area. People would write the most amusing stories as they were leaving.

A big part of the fun of finding a cache for me is to sit and read through the log book to see what others had to say while they were there - just as we did at the beginning of those long backpack trips. Finding the book is a requirement for reading the story. It's just not available to anyone sitting at home.

Needless to say, I don't care much for small caches where there is hardly room for initials on some small scrap of paper. Give me a notebook.

I had this just happen:

My first TB out in a cache. One team logged after I placed it and did not mention or take it, second to log online mentioned the TB as missing. I placed a watch on the cache just in case.

This week I get a TB log by a third team who found the cache and took the TB. They never logged this cache online (also not in the past and checked that they did not go back to grab a TB). They ARE however active cachers with several hundred ONLINE logs in the last year and did log caches that day...

Needless to say I'm happy my TB is moving again. So maybe some of those logging the sheet but not the cache just forgot to log online when they are on a streak ?

Exactly. If you have a story to tell, tell it online so the cache owner (and others) can read it right away. Also, many logbooks go missing or get wet and the ink runs. Also, writing a story in the logbook takes up space so the cache owner will have to replace the logbook more often. It's just much better to save your stories for online.

I disagree I'd rather go to my cache and read of the adventures plus that almost forces you to go to your cache and maintain it.the log book was sitting in there all wet and destroyed and the pieces of scrap paper get difficult and telling them does not help. So they would have to go back

Some people just don't feel the need, or have the desire, to log their finds online.

You could also say that some people don't feel the need or have the desire to say thank you after someone cooks them dinner or opens the door for them.

Signing the physical log IS saying "thanks for dinner." Don't expect your guest to faceplant or blog about it.

You could also say that some people don't feel the need or have the desire to say thank you after someone cooks them dinner or opens the door for them.

Signing the physical log IS saying "thanks for dinner." Don't expect your guest to faceplant or blog about it.

0 finds and 0 hides? :unsure: Writing a sentence or two online about your experience is not going to kill you. In fact, it takes far less time than finding the cache.

Think about it - if nobody logged their finds online and just signed their names in the logbook, why would anybody put out more caches? All the work and maintenance and no emails to look forward to with people's interesting stories. Boring for the cache owner! And also for other cachers reading the cache page! If there were no online logs, I would have stopped hiding after my 1st cache.

Maybe try hiding a cache yourself and your perspective will change. :)

Think about it - if nobody logged their finds online and just signed their names in the logbook, why would anybody put out more caches?

The letterboxers seem to have managed to keep placing boxes for over a century. Although they do have a motivation of collecting handmade stamp impressions.

When you place, you hope. You hope to please somebody, you hope your cache survives, you hope it gets found, you hope for some nice logs.

Those things may or may not happen. I

My caches, mostly hiking trail or bushwhacker hides, see a lot of sigs with no online logging. Folks who cache casually as part of hiking, snowbirds who cache a bit for fun, but don't find computer time fun.

This surprised me at first, but I'm over it. There's no obligation to log online.

I've started eyeballing caches, not opening, not signing, not logging. I'll make up the percentage of this at about 10% of caching I do now.

Think about it - if nobody logged their finds online and just signed their names in the logbook, why would anybody put out more caches?

The letterboxers seem to have managed to keep placing boxes for over a century. Although they do have a motivation of collecting handmade stamp impressions.

Yes, and look at how much more popular geocaching is than letterboxing. I think you've proved my point, actually.