Garmin Oregon 450 off by 40 feet

It seems to me that I often find the cache about 40 feet from ground zero. Likewise, others seem to be finding my caches about 40 feet from ground zero. Also, when I'm driving along the road, my "trail" is about 40 feet from the image of the road on the map. Do you think there is anything I can do about this? Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I thought maybe I should calibrate my device, but as far as I can tell, I can only calibrate the compass and the altimeter. I appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks.

Hi Howarthe,

I have a Garmin Oregon 450 and I had some problems in setting it up and also some accuracy issues, mainly caused by how I set it up. As a result I started to put together a personal reference document with information I had gathered from different discussions and from my own personal experience. It includes set up examples, getting maps, etc. It may help you.

If you are interested in a copy, click on my name and send me a personal message with your personal email address and I'll send it to you as an attachment. Unfortunately, I can't send you an a attachment sending you a message from this site.

All I ask is that you review the document and give me any suggestions to make it better and let me know if there is anything else I should include in the document.

Best regards,

4evrCking

(Forever Seeking)

Hi Howarthe,

I have a 450t and it seems to bring me right on top of a cache, especially if it's out in the open. Any GPS unit is going to have a larger error interval under a canopy, so if you're hiking and caching under the trees, this could be your problem. But just in case that's not the issue, do you notice if it's off 40 feet in the same direction every time? What's your accuracy/error range (read from the GPS) each time you notice this?

Hopefully this is just a user error that we can fix with settings. Best case, your unit is still under warranty and you can send it to Garmin for repair or replacement. But don't discount your unit quite yet until you're sure it's a real problem and not just the normal random variation that occurs with your location estimate.

Edited by mineral2