Choose your own adventure?

Wondering if there are any multis like the Choose your own adventure books.

For those who aren't familiar with the books, you read a page, then it gives you 2 choices. If you make choice #1, go to page 12. If you make choice #2, go to page 14 etc.

This goes on until you get to one of many possible endings.

If this was done as a geocache, it would have to be a multi with many possible 'final' caches.

I'm wondering if such a thing exists or would be published.

Or maybe just one final cache but with the choices dictating the type of terrain / length of trek the person would have to take to finally get there?

Plan out several routes - name them A,B,C etc. and ask people to mention in their log which route they took - that way they give nothing away to those who follow :)

Expect LCD cachers (Lowest Common Denominator) to hand out the coordinates for the final :rolleyes:

Edited by Team Microdot

I've not seen one, but I like the idea.

I agree you wouldn't want to have multiple final locations - but you could have multiple routes. I might set a Wherigo cache with this idea. At each stage you have 2 choices - one which turns out to be easier (less walking, easier terrain); the other harder, giving multiple routes. Eventually whatever choice you make you would reach the cache; but the journey would vary depending on the choices made.

There's a cache of this design near me, in a state forest.

At each set of stage coords, there may be one or two or three stage containers, all within the area described by the same set of coords (all matchsafes on oaks). You don't know how many there are at each point, so when you find one, your option is to load the coords and go, or hunt some more to see it there's another. If you do find another, it's hard to know which one to choose.

Depending upon which one(s) you find, your route can vary from 2 miles to 11.5 miles - all to the same final container.

Because it's so close to me, I've kept working on it over time; there are 23 stage containers out. Some locations with only one, some with two, one spot with 3.

This yields a very large number of possible routes.

Yes, these three Wherigo's in Southern England are exactly like that:

http://coord.info/GC1ZYDF

http://coord.info/GC213D6

http://coord.info/GC2605Z

They all start at the same spot, and run the same game cartridge, but depending on your actions along the adventure you will be sent to either the Bronze, Silver, or Gold cache. Many people who have completed it once then go back for another go, and make different choices to find the other caches. I haven't done them myself yet, but have heard from cachers who have that it's a fantastic idea - which is reflected in the finders logs.

Here's one in my area, placed way back in 2006: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCWNN7 If I remember correctly, there are two choices for each of 5 legs, and one is much "easier" than the other. However, it is unmaintained, and hasn't been found since 2010. :o I know the guy, I should shoot him an email. He took an over the road trucker job a year or two after the cache was placed, and has pretty much dropped out of caching. Except maybe for rest stop caches in Missouri or something. :P

They all start at the same spot, and run the same game cartridge, but depending on your actions along the adventure you will be sent to either the Bronze, Silver, or Gold cache. Many people who have completed it once then go back for another go, and make different choices to find the other caches. I haven't done them myself yet, but have heard from cachers who have that it's a fantastic idea - which is reflected in the finders logs.

Thanks - I'll have to check those out. 58 miles from home; so not in my usual caching area but feasible to do on a day trip.

The idea of having 3 different caches (with different listings) is interesting. So if I do this cache and get Gold first time; if I want to find the other 2 caches then when doing it again I need to make different ("worse") choices.

I doubt it would get published with multiple final stages. But I know of several that have alternate routes to the final and take fewer or more stages to get there depending on your luck. One negative is that if the CO doesn't place a 'sorry wrong spot' at a dead end route, there is likely to be some unnecessary damage to the terrain at that location.

I doubt it would get published with multiple final stages. But I know of several that have alternate routes to the final and take fewer or more stages to get there depending on your luck. One negative is that if the CO doesn't place a 'sorry wrong spot' at a dead end route, there is likely to be some unnecessary damage to the terrain at that location.

Yes, I think one where there are no totally wrong choices, but instead a series of poor, better, and great choices is a better plan. Mine has 13 stages, but can be done in less if all the right choices are made along the way.

Yes, I think one where there are no totally wrong choices, but instead a series of poor, better, and great choices is a better plan. Mine has 13 stages, but can be done in less if all the right choices are made along the way.

We attempted that one once. Distance and time keeps us from heading back.

With all the right choices a coin flip, it could take all day and possibly still never finish.

- Now I'll have to explain to CJ we made all poor choices. :laughing:

I did one a couple weeks ago called "Schrodinger's Cache," where the first stage had coordinates to two possible final stages - one that had the cache, and one that had a decoy. I could see it being much harder with multiple stages that all had two ways to go, though!

MIne has three ways to go at each stage except the one that sends you to the final, but it is a web rather than a series of lines. Those that don't keep track of where they had already been could find themselves back at a stage they have already done. If you are lucky it is a more or less typical multicache, if you aren't it can take awhile. I can check all the stages in about 2 hours without running.

I was wondering if this thread was based on the books a little, good!

Yes, there have been caches based on choices.

Here is (was) one. You did not know if you got lucky or not.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b1f4d3c9-ea08-4677-babe-c62b901cbaf0

Here is another where you are given choices where to go and it might be right or wrong. I was very unlucky when I did it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d9335616-e96d-4e3f-b9ab-daf3b3a4ac58

If I recall, this one gave you a choice...you could opt for the longer walk (but less WPs) or the more waypoints (but less walking) method. Something like that

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=044a7c1b-c8e8-4c09-b6e9-c6e3e5fddc86

There used to be a set of puzzle caches in Germany that were all based off the movie Cube. It started out with a traditional cache that had a cube with a series of numbers and a set of coordinates on each face. Four of the faces were decoys with dummy coordinates, two had genuine coords to two different cube puzzle caches. The entire series was designed to be accomplished as a loop, though due to time constraints I ended up coming back a few times and did it as two separate legs with additional breaks in the action.

Unfortunately, the owners geocided and archived the whole series, as well as all their other caches, though they're apparently listed on a competing site. Shame.

The Sorting Hat is an interesting cache that takes you through a series of decisions with each of your answers sending you in a particular direction for a specific distance. In the end, you land at one of four final locations, one for each of the four houses of Hogwarts. It's not a multi, it's a letterbox hybrid, since all the questions are presented up front in the description, and nothing is found in the field other than the final containers.

I like that a lot. I might do something similar the next time I have the urge to create a multi.

Thanks - I'll have to check those out. 58 miles from home; so not in my usual caching area but feasible to do on a day trip.

The idea of having 3 different caches (with different listings) is interesting. So if I do this cache and get Gold first time; if I want to find the other 2 caches then when doing it again I need to make different ("worse") choices.

I have done this Wherigo and I found the Silver cache. It was great fun and I even got a laminated certificate in the container.

It's funny that it's mentioned on this thread, as it was the first thing that came to mind as I was reading it!

For those who aren't familiar with the books, you read a page, then it gives you 2 choices. If you make choice #1, go to page 12. If you make choice #2, go to page 14 etc.

If this was done as a geocache, it would have to be a multi with many possible 'final' caches.

You are aware that at least one of the books has a page that cannot be found using the choices? Dunno how to make that into a cache, however...

You are aware that at least one of the books has a page that cannot be found using the choices? Dunno how to make that into a cache, however...

I don't suppose I'll be able to follow the book formats exactly. I analyzed one last night and it had 32 possible endings and 100 pages with choices. That would be 1 BIG multi!!! :lol::o

I analyzed one last night and it had 32 possible endings and 100 pages with choices. That would be 1 BIG multi!!!

...don't forget that you need 161m of space around each stage. The stages can be as close together as you want, but each one needs to be at least 161m from other caches, stages, and finals. It's pretty saturated around these parts...

I analyzed one last night and it had 32 possible endings and 100 pages with choices. That would be 1 BIG multi!!!

...don't forget that you need 161m of space around each stage. The stages can be as close together as you want, but each one needs to be at least 161m from other caches, stages, and finals. It's pretty saturated around these parts...

Thanks, I learned about the 161 meter rule 51 caches ago. :laughing:

....Sorry I couldn't resist...

It's actually pretty funny that you would say that because when I was preparing to hide my 1st cache here I was told our area was saturated and there was no where to put any new ones. :lol:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Like others who have posted, I have found multi-caches where a choice made at one location leads you down one of several different paths to a single final location. As far as I know, I have never searched for and found one final out of several possible physical finals (located in different places) listed on a single cache page.

But I can see how one could get such a thing published, if the CO covertly allowed "Found it" logs on several physical caches along the way to another "final" cache to stand, the reviewer being none the wiser.

I wouldn't recommend such a thing, however. :ph34r:

Thanks, I learned about the 161 meter rule 51 caches ago. :laughing:

Just wanted to make sure you weren't overlooking anything. Like I said earlier, I think there was a cache like this around Thetis, but that would have been a looooong time ago. There's no way you could put out a many-stage multi around Thetis these days.

I've not seen one, but I like the idea.

I agree you wouldn't want to have multiple final locations - but you could have multiple routes. I might set a Wherigo cache with this idea. At each stage you have 2 choices - one which turns out to be easier (less walking, easier terrain); the other harder, giving multiple routes. Eventually whatever choice you make you would reach the cache; but the journey would vary depending on the choices made.

ohhh *cough*doitinswindon*cough* :D

Edit for the massive spelling fail there....

Edited by sparklefingers

It could work with virtual intermediate stages, but that might require a pretty complex writeup. The saturation guideline wouldn't apply to those.

Virtual stages, yes!! This is exactly what I was thinking and it would be much more interesting to have some of these included, as well as more traditional stages.

For instance, I have one cache where you need to make a call on your cell phone to get further instructions. I'm looking to see if it's possible to get a whole bunch of different phone numbers with voicemail messages. I've seen one service which costs $2/month plus 10 cents/call.

As well, I had thought about having some stages hidden inside public libraries, which would go with the theme. Perhaps to find a sticker on a bookshelf to get a code or use the library computer to look up a webpage with more of the story, plus instructions.

Definitely wouldn't be a simple hike in the woods.

I've seen a few multis that depending on the choices you made would take you on different routes, but there is always a single cache at the end. How you got there is what is different.

I owned one where there were two containers about 15 ft apart at GZ. One was the cache and the second was the first stage of a multi that eventually brought you back to the cache. Depending on which one you found first you had a quick and easy traditional or a long multi ahead of you.

If this was done as a geocabche, it would have to be a multi with many possible 'final' caches.

I'm a huge fan of CYOA style books and have over 900 of them. If you do one like the double diamond series, it could work with a common start and finish. The choices would be how you would get there. Basically hiding 9 physical caches having a story line in each one to guide the seeker. One cache branching to two choices then two more then narrowing it down to two and then the final. You could have a score in the final or bonus puzzle caches for alternate finals. I've been thinking about it for years but haven't done anything yet. Wherigo is also a very interactive why to do it. Denalli41 in Colorado has one with field puzzles and multiple choices.

If this was done as a geocabche, it would have to be a multi with many possible 'final' caches.

I'm a huge fan of CYOA style books and have over 900 of them. If you do one like the double diamond series, it could work with a common start and finish. The choices would be how you would get there. Basically hiding 9 physical caches having a story line in each one to guide the seeker. One cache branching to two choices then two more then narrowing it down to two and then the final. You could have a score in the final or bonus puzzle caches for alternate finals. I've been thinking about it for years but haven't done anything yet. Wherigo is also a very interactive why to do it. Denalli41 in Colorado has one with field puzzles and multiple choices.

Thanks, so many people have mentioned Wherigo, I will look into that. Let me know if you end up doing one yourself, I'd be interested to hear what you come up with.

I am in the process (over a year now) of building a 30 + stage choose your own adventure Wherigo with multiple possibilities for the end, although you do have to know how to build wherigos with is a pain in the butt.

That sounds very interesting. I would be interested in taking a look at your creation. I've tried created Wherigos before and ran into trouble. Crazy, because I have lots of programming experience. Will have to try again. <_<

I'd love to create a Wherigo cache but I've never had any look getting the *builder* to run.

It seems there isn't support for Windows 7 :(

Required Software:

Operating Systems: Windows 2000 SP3; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP SP2

Memory: 128 MB of RAM

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (Get it now)

Nice idea though

Actually, no. Section I.1.7. of the guidelines state (emphasis mine):

Physical elements of different geocaches should be at least 0.10 miles (528 ft or 161 m) apart.

A physical stage is defined as any waypoint that contains a physical element placed by the cache owner, such as a container or a tag with the next set of coordinates. Non-physical caches or stages, including reference points, trail-head/parking coordinates and/or a question to answer waypoints, are exempt from this guideline. Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements. The graphic below shows a few examples of what is and is not acceptable in terms of cache saturation. EarthCaches are exempt from this guideline as they do not have physical waypoints.

So this idea need not cover a lot of space.

I used to compete in road rallyes back in my college days. There are intentional "traps" where misinterpreting the rules or missing a landmark will send a car off course. Taking the wrong path results in a penalty in the form of the wrong time or the wrong answer to a question depending upon the type of the event. In a well-designed rallye, both (or all) possible paths converge so that a contestant does not know he goofed.

In the same manner, a multi-cache can have multiple paths ending up at the same final. Good luck explaining that to the reviewer...

One more thing. Dad and I used to argue over whether decoy caches are a good idea. He loved the idea of several containers with all but the real one bearing a message saying something like "try again." My position is that it was unnecessarily frustrating and invites the finder to insert a log into a decoy and claim a find. I bring this up because a stage can have more than one container, each one with different coordinates for the next stage, with the cacher "choosing" which path at random depending on which one is found.

Edited by f5f6f7f8

I'd love to create a Wherigo cache but I've never had any look getting the *builder* to run.

Required Software:

Nice idea though

Yeah, last update 2008. Probably a third-party fix if you go to the Wherigo forums.

A mod recently said big changes within the year, but for us it's too little too late. Maybe three or four years ago...

It's like a cache without an active owner, with others keeping it afloat as long as possible.

Edited by cerberus1

Required Software:

Nice idea though

There is a fix offered in the Wherigo forums. For folks unlike myself, who grasp computer stuff, it is said to be pretty simple. I eventually gave up and went with the Urwigo builder, which seems to create cartridges less likely to crash than the Groundspeak builder.

Required Software:

Nice idea though

There is a fix offered in the Wherigo forums. For folks unlike myself, who grasp computer stuff, it is said to be pretty simple. I eventually gave up and went with the Urwigo builder, which seems to create cartridges less likely to crash than the Groundspeak builder.

I've got Windows 7 also, so I will have to look into this.

I discussed Wherigo with Mr Incredible today (he's a programmer). We are really hoping something similar to Wherigo will come out for smartphones as the graphics would be alot better.