Help! What have I done?

I have found over 400 caches. Most of them I have done with a Colorado 300 (which I love) but it doesn't talk to the Russian sats so I was under the impression that I would have more accuracy with an Explorist 510. So for my birthday, my family gave me a 510 and I am finding it to be off AT EACH CACHE by AT LEAST 20 feet!!! I called Magellan and they said this is normal. 20 feet makes a huge difference! I called Magellan to see if maybe I haven't calibrated it, but it is auto calibrate. We went out to 13 caches today. Colorado leads us straight to it....Magellan goes 20 feet or more past, or to the left, or to the right or ....

Please help!!! I feel like my family just paid a bunch of money for a dud!!

How many days have you been out caching with the new unit? I understand that depending on the overhead satellite constellation, your accuracy can be off by at least the 20' you specify. If you're basing this on a single day of caching, maybe you should try again? Besides, 20' is still pretty darn accurate. When you get that close to GZ, you should start thinking about turning off the tech and letting geosenses take over.

If all else fails, I'll buy the unit from you at discount ;)

Hi,

I have a Garmin Oregon 450 and it has been very accurate, and has always been within 1 or 2 meters of a cache.

I just updated to thier new v6.20 S/W (software) and now the accuracy has deteriated tremendously.

I called their tech support and was told that I should only expect the accuracy they quoted you. However, it was fine before. Maybe this is the new standard.

They had me reset the unit and reload the S/W. I'm hoping this will fix the problem, but unfortunately, I'm losing confidence in the unit with the new S/W.

Hopefully there will be another update very quickly!

Best regards,

4evrCking (forever seeking)

Edited by 4evrCking

You should expect a 30M accuracy from any GPSr Unit. You are getting 20 feet which is 10 feet better.

Things to check-are you using the correct for of co-ords(unless you download them)

Are you ONLY using GLONASS(The Russian system) If so being where you are(in the Northern US according to your finds) you are not getting the best of them. You should try using just GPS satellites, or a combination of both. I'm not sure the actual coverage of GLONASS, but last I looked there was not complete coverage in Canada, USA, or Mexico.

I am not talking about the normal variance....tree cover, buildings, etc. I am talking constantly 20 feet different. For example, we pull up to a cache and the Garmin says 134 ft and the explorist says 160. As we get near the gz, whoever has the Garmin gets to 10/15 ft and yells "got it" while the explorist says we are still 30 ft away. I don't even have a chance to look bc in my mind we aren't at the stop and look point yet. Next cache same thing...maybe worse. Ugh!!

20/30ft isn't very much as this a circle.. you are AT it. You also have to account for the fact that the CO also had this 20/30ft difference. This may account for some of what you are seeing. Go on your sat screen, reset it outside with clear skies. See how accurate you can get there.

I usually have my GPS accuracy as one of my map/compass fields so I know what I am in for.

Keep at it, you will figure this out.

Shaun

How many days have you been out caching with the new unit? I understand that depending on the overhead satellite constellation, your accuracy can be off by at least the 20' you specify. If you're basing this on a single day of caching, maybe you should try again? Besides, 20' is still pretty darn accurate. When you get that close to GZ, you should start thinking about turning off the tech and letting geosenses take over.

If all else fails, I'll buy the unit from you at discount ;)

Go back to the better version.

just in case anyone else has the same issues with their explorists, I was able to fix it! The main map was set to South Africa (?) and when we reset it, the accuracy is now reasonable. What I mean is when it says about 20 ft away from the cache...it might be 22 or 5. But it isn't 45ft. Thanks for all your advice. Happy caching