Where do new entries in a bookmark list go?

When I add an entry to a bookmark list I would like to then edit it. But where does it go when I add it?

I would expect it either to be inserted into its proper place in the sorted list, or to be appended to either the beginning or end of the list. But when I add an entry to one of my longer bookmark lists, I am unable to find it in any of those three logical places. I have to scroll through the entire list to find it. When the list is over a hundred entries, that is a waste of time to have to hunt for what should be in one of the three logical places.

When I add an entry to a bookmark list I would like to then edit it. But where does it go when I add it?

I would expect it either to be inserted into its proper place in the sorted list, or to be appended to either the beginning or end of the list. But when I add an entry to one of my longer bookmark lists, I am unable to find it in any of those three logical places. I have to scroll through the entire list to find it. When the list is over a hundred entries, that is a waste of time to have to hunt for what should be in one of the three logical places.

Depends what you mean by "its proper place."

They are inserted into their proper place in alphabetical order by name of the cache.

Depends what you mean by "its proper place."

They are inserted into their proper place in alphabetical order by name of the cache.

Nancy, you are correct in that they eventually will show up in their proper place (sorted). But how long do I have to wait for this to happen? After adding an entry to a bookmark list I want to edit it. As I said above, I would expect it to be in one of the three logical places immediately after adding it to the list, so I could then start editing it. But for long lists I have to scroll through the entire list to find where it has been stuck.

If an entry is not inserted into its proper place immediately (which makes sense for long lists) then it should be appended to one of the ends of the list for later sorting. This is how I taught my students to handle sorted lists, and I imagine it is still what is being taught today. Inserting an entry into a random location of a sorted list is not a logical way to handle adding an entry to a sorted list.

Hi Charlie. I don't know, of course, what you are seeing, but I use bookmark lists extensively and I never see much, if any, time delay and the additions always go into the list as Nancy said. If you are seeing a delay I can't think that it would be more than just a few seconds at most (unless the site is really bogged down).

Interesting, I've never had a delay in sorting when adding a cache to a bookmarked list - it always shows up right away where it should based on alphabetical order.

I guess that could get thrown off if a cache had a space before the cache name, or any sort of non-alphanumeric symbol, like a _ or .?

Hi Charlie. I don't know, of course, what you are seeing, but I use bookmark lists extensively and I never see much, if any, time delay and the additions always go into the list as Nancy said. If you are seeing a delay I can't think that it would be more than just a few seconds at most (unless the site is really bogged down).

This problem seems to occur only with my long lists (several hundred), I don't notice any delay with my short lists. Maybe I tend to try to update my long lists when the site is busy.

Thanks all for your input.

Numerals come before letters and other characters come before numbers.

Charlie - are you perhaps looking at an unrefreshed Bookmark list page from before you added your listing? Try refresshing your screen and see if that helps.

And, if I'm not mistaken, a space comes before everything and the sort is character-by-character, left to right.

Something is not right. You should be able to find it in alphabetical order as soon as you add it. One trick you can do if it is an extremely long list is to try to add it again. You will get a message saying that the cache is already in the list along with a link to edit it.

I know that's VERY easy to accidenatlly add a bookmark to the wrong list. The site keeps the name of the LAST list on which you worked as the default, so the first time in, it'll show YESTERDAY's list. Chasnge it before you 'add', and the default will be changed to the newly selected list for subsequent transactions.

I know that's VERY easy to accidenatlly add a bookmark to the wrong list. The site keeps the name of the LAST list on which you worked as the default, so the first time in, it'll show YESTERDAY's list. Chasnge it before you 'add', and the default will be changed to the newly selected list for subsequent transactions.

Been there - Done that - More than once. GAH!!!

You can also simply number your listings if you like. I have a private FTF list and each entry starts witn 001, 002 , 003, etc. (Yes, I need that many places in the number. I used to do the FTF thing.)

I also have a listing of Virtual Caches I've found and I keep those sorted by starting them with the year - 2000 cache name, 2001 cache name, etc.

As for other bookmarks I've never had a long delay in them sorting properly. I simply refresh the page and it's automagically correct.

I have a private FTF list and each entry starts witn 001, 002 , 003, etc.

I use spaces instead of zeros to prefix numbers since leading spaces work as well as leading zeros for ordering them. It also makes it less obvious if you use three spaces in anticipation of the day you really get out of control about FTFs and break a thousand.