Magellan 710 wows

I've had my Magellan 710 for 2 years now and I've got to say the Garmin anything runs circles around it.

I'm not at all happy that I can't get plain white maps like the Maps 4 Me made. I've tried with Maps 4 Me and never got any responce. They made a Wyoming map in plain white and that's it. No more. No responce. The maps that come with the Magellan are not visible in bright light and it makes the GPS useless on a motorcycle for geocaching.

The Navigation screen, the one that I've added the Speedometer and time, with the little geocaching guy at the top, does not follow to the next nearest cache like the Garmins do.

I have to use my iPhone to actually find the cache. I've not been able to get near one with the Magellan. Not EVER. I don't know what it is about it but I walk past the cache about 20 feet or more then it swings around and tells me to go the other way. The iPhone GPS leads me to the cache first time every time. If the iPhone GPS software would automatically follow the caches as I go it would be perfect for Geocaching. But unfortunatly it only does about 30 at a time.

The only advantage I've seen is that the Magellan hold so many caches. That's why I bought it because I don't want to have to reload after a thousand miles or so. It has NO other advantage.

Sorry folks, these issues were brought up early after buying it on the forums and to Magellan. Deaf ears abound.

Couple things you could do/check. Have you updated your firmware recently? I believe it's 7.15 as of right now on the x710 (I have one as well). It addresses some 'compass' issues that arose recently.

Regarding the map problem. Maps4me.net is a GREAT site that is very reasonable in charging very little for what turns out to be quite a LOT of work making those types of maps that he did. I think it's nice that he's grouped them in regions as not everyone will need the entire US on their unit. There is a brightness function that allows you to step it up a bit but I'll have to agree...at times it IS a bit difficult to see in direct sunlight. They have addressed that as well with the new production units having a different screen that's MUCH easier to see in sunlight so you "MIGHT" be able to contact them and ask if they'd trade-up with you for a fee....that way you'd not loose all your initial investment.

If you aren't totally happy with Maps4Me then perhaps you could take the "make your own maps" route and check out MOBAC (Mobile Atlas Creator).....just do a google search and there's even a video tutorial on Youtube that can give you a general idea of what it can do. An older version would be needed or knowing someone with a sources file (I have one if your're interested and want to do it) that has map sources for you to use. The more recent versions of MOBAC had to remove the sources due to people hogging LOTS of data from them....You can make some really nice maps with it from sources like Google Earth, ArcGIS, OpenStreetMaps, etc..... satellite imagery and all.....just takes some work and patience. I"ve put in a 32GB microSD card in mine and have made Terrain, TOPO, and Satellite imagery for half of the state of Indiana on mine and it's pretty well full so that should give you an idea as to the size of area you'd be able to make and use. All about zoom/detail levels......

You might try looking at a site we maggie users use.... magellaninsiders.com for some other helpful tips/tutorials/videos, etc.... Don't give up....

The answer is Yes Yes Yes and Yes.

As for Maps4Me. I paid the money and got nothing useful, sent them emails and got no reply. Posted on explorist forum, no reply. They made two maps, one was for Wyoming and one was for another guy somewhere else. Both were plain unshaded white. They were better that the maps that come on the GPS but still unusable in bright light. When I'm on the bike, I ride, not just to this state but I might hit several. So I need all the states in an easy to see background.

Batteries last about 3/4 of a day. By the time I reach my destination they are dead even when plugged in the bike. If not plugged in they don't even last that long. Once they are dead the GPS will not boot even when plugged in. And no it's not the bike.

I loved the feature in the Garmin which showed the next cache on the navigation screen. When I asked Magellan if it had that feature they said yes. They lied.

I've been a Garmin user since the mid 90's and I guess I'll be going back. I didn't really like the Garmin Oregon that I had before this one but at least it would follow the caches. I'll probably get a new 60cSX. The 60cSX was my favorite but it developed an issue and finally died.

Edited by Jake81499

For your next unit you might consider either the Montana with it's rechargeable battery (with backup AA ) or, possibly even better , the 78 series which has the capability of being charged thru / powered by a 4 pin Serial plug/cable. (serial cable extra but same as came with old model, so might be available cheap)

I run an APRS Ham radio rig hooked up like this where both Radio and GPS are powered from ATV or Snowmobile or small 12V sealed LA battery until I dismount before going off trail.

The serial port charging (and NMEA both in/out) is the reason for choosing the 78 instead of the 62.

Just my .02.....

For your next unit you might consider either the Montana with it's rechargeable battery (with backup AA ) or, possibly even better , the 78 series which has the capability of being charged thru / powered by a 4 pin Serial plug/cable. (serial cable extra but same as came with old model, so might be available cheap)

I run an APRS Ham radio rig hooked up like this where both Radio and GPS are powered from ATV or Snowmobile or small 12V sealed LA battery until I dismount before going off trail.

The serial port charging (and NMEA both in/out) is the reason for choosing the 78 instead of the 62.

Just my .02.....

I might do that. I'm a ham too, KJ7AZ. I was into APRS long long ago. I used to use the Tiny Track along with Icom bricks and the Garmin 12 units as dedicated APRS units in all my vehicles. Got out of it though. I'm down to one little Icom HT and it hasn't been on in such a long time that I'm not even sure it still works. Every once in a great while I'll turn on my iPhone APRS system just to scare the local hams.

I have an NMEA plug installed on my bike so that's a good idea.