Stop trespassing

There was a function in Port Aransas, the cache in MY YARD behind my hedge was searched for,and the damage included the destruction of a pet grave. STOP IT!

Entering private property after dark is dangerous for you and inconsiderate of my family.

Well, I almost thought you were "homeowner In Pa., as in Pennsylvania, but the only "port Aransas" that comes up on Google appears to be a suburb of Corpus Christi.

It appears there was what we call a MEGA event in your town about a month ago? Can you be more specific about where the cache was?

There was a function in Port Aransas, the cache in MY YARD behind my hedge was searched for,and the damage included the destruction of a pet grave. STOP IT!

Entering private property after dark is dangerous for you and inconsiderate of my family.

I agree that it should not have been placed on your property. Unfortunately posting request here will not help. We don't know where you live or what cache it is. Unless the cache is archived they will continue to come. You can log back on to the site, and under the Your Profile tab follow that to Account Details and then set your home location. Your address will work and no one will be able to see this location. Then on the top level page you will see the search box filled in (middle, left side) clicking that you will see a list. The top one should be the on your property. You can verify this by clicking the map this location link. Click the icon for the cache and on the upper right of the page click log your visit. Select need archive and for the log enter the information you posted here. Submit the log and the reviewer will take action and archive the cache.

Or you could try talking to the people who are trespassing. The are likely able to get ahold of the geocache owner to have it removed. I'm sure there was no intended damage, and the people searching for it assumed they had permission to do so-The owner of a geocache is supposed to get permission from the property owner, but in this case had not. They may have thought for some reason it wasp public property. For the most part, geocachers do not want people upset at them, so if you talk to the next people you see, I'm sure they will try to help you out-even if it's just giving you a way of contacting the owner.

Hello,

I am a forum moderator here, and also a Geocaching.com volunteer with the power to disable and archive cache listings. If you send me a private message here in the forums, or an email via my profile page, I will take care of this. You only need to send me your address and I will look up the geocache on the map.

You can click on my name to the left, "Keystone" and it will link you to my profile. Then, click the email link to send me a message.

You can also write to contact@Groundspeak.com to reach the Geocaching.com staff directly. They will need the same information -- the street address and that you are the homeowner.

Or you could try talking to the people who are trespassing. The are likely able to get ahold of the geocache owner to have it removed. I'm sure there was no intended damage, and the people searching for it assumed they had permission to do so-The owner of a geocache is supposed to get permission from the property owner, but in this case had not. They may have thought for some reason it wasp public property. For the most part, geocachers do not want people upset at them, so if you talk to the next people you see, I'm sure they will try to help you out-even if it's just giving you a way of contacting the owner.

Isn't that the thrill for most geocachers illegal ones and seeing how long they last oh and don't forget to favorite it

The cache owner archived the listing in response to my request. I love a happy ending to a story that started off badly. :)

Good! I found the idea of cachers disturbing a pet grave very upsetting. Glad it's been taken care of.

The cache owner archived the listing in response to my request. I love a happy ending to a story that started off badly. :)

You probably should close it then, as Marty suggested. I got lucky and found it on only about the 3rd cache I looked at in that town. :) Of course that was in the short time period between your SBA, and the owner archival. Now almost no one could find it, other than a reviewer type.

You probably should close it then, as Marty suggested. I got lucky and found it on only about the 3rd cache I looked at in that town. :) Of course that was in the short time period between your SBA, and the owner archival. Now almost no one could find it, other than a reviewer type.

Nah. Still found the cache listing quite easily. Not really that hard to track down. :ph34r:

Sorry Mr. Yuck. Just had to test myself to see if I could do it. :)

Good! I found the idea of cachers disturbing a pet grave very upsetting. Glad it's been taken care of.

What people do in the name of geocaching. Place a geocache in someone's yard on a pet grave. Just no respect for others property. :mad:

I wonder what is the 'Commercial Cache guideline violation' Keystone refers? What am I missing? Was the cache page edited to remove something? I'm not concerned with the placement of the cache, just whatever it is/was on the cache page that warranted Keystone's quip about the 'Commercial Cache guide violation'.

I wonder what is the 'Commercial Cache guideline violation' Keystone refers? What am I missing? Was the cache page edited to remove something? I'm not concerned with the placement of the cache, just whatever it is/was on the cache page that warranted Keystone's quip about the 'Commercial Cache guide violation'.

Nothing has been edited. The name of the cache. There is, lets say, a well-known chain in the cache name. Of course I don't agree with it, but I'm sure that's what it is (was).

What people do in the name of geocaching. Place a geocache in someone's yard on a pet grave. Just no respect for others property. :mad:

The area is a thicket of pines and appears to be road right of way especially since there is a small billboard type sign there at GZ just into the woods. It is at a "Y" in the road. I would like to think no one would have gone there had they suspected it was private property and especially if it was obvious a pet's grave was there.

The area is a thicket of pines and appears to be road right of way especially since there is a small billboard type sign there at GZ just into the woods. It is at a "Y" in the road. I would like to think no one would have gone there had they suspected it was private property and especially if it was obvious a pet's grave was there.

I did not get to view the cache coordinates. All I saw was the OP's statement.

I think the CO at least owes the homeowner a personal apology.

I can't tell you how many of those I've had to render (not caching related) since I was about six (MANY years ago), but they go a long way toward smoothing relations with other people. I've made sure my children have learned that lesson, too.

I can't tell you how many of those I've had to render (not caching related) since I was about six (MANY years ago), but they go a long way toward smoothing relations with other people. I've made sure my children have learned that lesson, too.

I looked at the cache on google earth and it sure looks like it was NOT on private property. However, the private property wasn't far off. I know a few of the cachers who found that one and all of them told me that the area appeared to be state or city right of way. The cache was on the "sign".

Knowing how some cachers will do anything for a smiley, i have no doubt that some of them tresspassed and probably destroyed the pet's grave. This may have been an ok area for a cache but not one that was as difficult to find as i was told this one was.

I looked at the cache on google earth and it sure looks like it was NOT on private property. However, the private property wasn't far off. I know a few of the cachers who found that one and all of them told me that the area appeared to be state or city right of way. The cache was on the "sign".

Knowing how some cachers will do anything for a smiley, i have no doubt that some of them tresspassed and probably destroyed the pet's grave. This may have been an ok area for a cache but not one that was as difficult to find as i was told this one was.

I thought I had stumbled on a secret known only to myself and some reviewers by finding the cache in that City on like the 3rd one I looked at in the few hours between Keystone's SBA and it's archival, but I guess not. :laughing: I was actually contacted by someone via PM who knew what cache it was, and stated that they didn't think it was private property either. It is indeed 2 streets coming together making about a 30 Degree angle, with a house nearby. The OP (that homeowner) would know for sure, although I doubt they will come back. Did they give permission for a relatively new-looking Days Inn sign? (and receive some kind of compensation for it?) Then it would be on their property. If they did not, then it's City property.

I would think the policy is to archive caches that upset nearby homeowners, even if it's not on their property, and I agree with that. I mean what if you lived in suburbia, and there was a cache on a transformer box between the sidewalk and street in a residential neighborhood in front of someone's house? And I know there are caches like that. Thank goodness, not in my area though. :P

I also told the un-named person who PM'd me that I have seen grumpy people ranting about "their property", which wasn't actually their property, long before, and having nothing to do with, Geocaching.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I would like to think that too, but history shows if it's listed on Geocaching.com, there will be an endless parade of smiley seekers showing up, no matter how obvious the private property issue is. And the more of a "park-n-grab" that it is, the more of them that will show up. :P As one of the people who knows where the cache mentioned in the OP was, and has street viewed it, I'd never have thought it was private property. Although people do get paid to put billboards on their property. And we could consider that a small billboard. :)

P.S., that particular County in Texas does not have an online GIS, although they have a page that says it's coming soon. Yes, I looked (obviously).

P.S.S. I had a little story in there about a cache on obvious private property hidden by a 12 yr. old, but I didn't have the facts totally accurate, so I edited it out. That'll happen if the cache is on your ignore list, and you haven't looked at the cache page in months. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I would like to think that too, but history shows if it's listed on Geocaching.com, there will be an endless parade of smiley seekers showing up, no matter how obvious the private property issue is.

I like to think that a CO has obtained adequate permission when I see something that appears to be on private property. Yes I have looked for a cache that is on private property, but have in some cases had some reservations. The longer I cache the more I try to think that a cache has been placed with the permission because of course the guidelines for placing a cache state that you have obtained permission and on the submission form you have to check that you have read and are abiding by the guidelines. I really do appreciate it however, when a CO states that they have received permission in their cache description. Humm!

I would like to think that too, but history shows if it's listed on Geocaching.com, there will be an endless parade of smiley seekers showing up, no matter how obvious the private property issue is.

I like to think that a CO has obtained adequate permission when I see something that appears to be on private property. Yes I have looked for a cache that is on private property, but have in some cases had some reservations. The longer I cache the more I try to think that a cache has been placed with the permission because of course the guidelines for placing a cache state that you have obtained permission and on the submission form you have to check that you have read and are abiding by the guidelines. I really do appreciate it however, when a CO states that they have received permission in their cache description. Humm!

Oh yeah, the reviewers assume permission, and so do all the seekers. Is there a better way? I doubt it, actually. I'm kind of a grump, and "stealth" is not one of my finer points, so I assume exactly the opposite. If a cache is on private property, I assume there is no permission, unless the cache page tells me otherwise. Call me crazy. :P

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Oh yeah, the reviewers assume permission, and so do all the seekers. Is there a better way? I doubt it, actually. I'm kind of a grump, and "stealth" is not one of my finer points, so I assume exactly the opposite. If a cache is on private property, I assume there is no permission, unless the cache page tells me otherwise. Call me crazy. :P

Since you were able to find the listing and look at the Street View, tell me, you you think that searchers would be visible from the nearby house? If I feel that I am being watched by a homeowner, I just move on. I can do that because I've learned that I don't have to find every cache.

Same here, unless the CO says on the page he has permission from the land owner or business owner, I assume there is no permission. I once spent a night in jail. I don't care to repeat the experience.

Edited by briansnat

Since you were able to find the listing and look at the Street View, tell me, you you think that searchers would be visible from the nearby house? If I feel that I am being watched by a homeowner, I just move on. I can do that because I've learned that I don't have to find every cache.

Oh gosh. Two streets coming together at about a 30 degree angle. The intersection looks pretty busy. House pretty close, but cache in a stand of pine trees, close to where the streets intersect. I would say they'd be hidden from view, but the homeowners would almost always notice them walking up from either of two recommended parking areas at nearby businesses. And of course I'm sure many "cached and dashed" it parking on the side of the road 25 feet from the cache. I guess what I'm saying is, Pretty much almost everyone going after this cache would be noticed by this homeowner, if they happened to be looking out their window.

Oh, and if I feel I'm being watched by a homeowner, I'm out of there in a microsecond. And chances of me ever coming back are pretty slim. :)

I once spent a night in jail. I don't care to repeat the experience.

:o Details...details!?!

Without going into details, lets just say some of the police at the New Jersey shore get their jollies harassing out-of-towners minding their own business, enjoy beating innocent people, and don't take sarcasm very well.

Edited by briansnat

Without going into details, lets just say the police at the New Jersey shore get their jollies harassing out-of-towners, enjoy beating innocent people, and don't take sarcasm very well.

I suspect most officers don't take sarcasm well.

Without going into details, lets just say some of the police at the New Jersey shore get their jollies harassing out-of-towners minding their own business, enjoy beating innocent people, and don't take sarcasm very well.

Briansnat sarcastic?!? Inconceivable!

Without going into details, lets just say the police at the New Jersey shore get their jollies harassing out-of-towners, enjoy beating innocent people, and don't take sarcasm very well.

I suspect most officers don't take sarcasm well.

According to the Briansnat archives, the police encountered what seemed to be a couple of relatively benign punk rockers napping in a station wagon. The law enforcement officers were startled when one of them awoke armed with immediate sarcasm, which triggered a full crisis response.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

The private property issue is clear. The pet grave brouhaha is not clear. After all, cemetery caches get listed and stay listed!