First time out fail...Still just a muggle :(

pekwalker

Today I went out to find my very first Geocache and the experienced turned out to be a failure. I guess I'm still a Muggle until I find my first. :( Good thing is, I have ordered a GPS and it should be here mid week.

If you open the map, and select Satellite view, sometimes you can see landmarks in relation to the cache icon (count the number of fence posts or trees in a row, or whatever). That's handy even if you have a GPS. Did you pick an easy cache to start? Choose a “2/2” or less (easy terrain, low difficulty), pick a cache that has a small or larger container, and be sure there's a great hint, and that the logs mention that people are currently finding the thing.

Did you make an online log? Log either a DNF (Did Not Find, means you, well, didn't find it), or a Note. Or at least contact the Cache Owner (that's what happens when you make a cache log). They might offer help. I would. I even have cache photos ready to email. :anicute:

When you get your new GPS, plan to visit a big open area like a soccer complex that has some caches. Then you can get a good feel for how the device works, before going to more challenging places.

Edited by kunarion

Thanks for the suggestions. The site was one of the 3 that the geocaching.com free iPhone app had listed and it was only 0.5 mile from my house. I may try to give that one another try on a different day. I was so excited when the phone beeped letting me know I was close. I thought for sure I was about to find my first. There were a couple of muggles on the ball field near the location so I didn't want to make it obvious I was looking for something. I followed the hint and looked everywhere that it would have made sense but to no avail. I will give the other two listed in the app a try and will hopefully have better luck on my next attempt.

You'll find your first cache, and soon, I'm sure. You are a geocacher already - aware of and searching for the cache! Use the clues if there are any, read past logs and remember that whatever unit you use, it won't always land you right on the cache. You have to put on your detective hat and look for things that don't quite fit. Let us know how you get on, and which caches you are looking for...the GC number is good. Don't forget to post your DNF (did not find) online. Good luck, you are no longer a muggle - you are one of us and very welcome!

Is the gps on a smart-phone enough to get started on my first geo-find/search

Many experienced cachers started with smartphones. Some with thousands of finds have never used anything but a smartphone and don't even own a GPS. Totally doable. Just don't expect the phone to find the cache for you, it will only get you in the vicinity, within about 10-30 feet usually. After that it's up to you. Good luck!