Premiums that don't award favorite points

I've noticed there are a significant number of premium cachers out there that don't ever award favorite points/votes. It can be the best cache in the world and yet they still won't do it. Is there some reason for this? If you really enjoyed the cache, is it really that hard to click that little favorite vote box? How bout you try letting other folks know that you enjoyed the cache, so they will want to give it a shot too? Most people other than the CO won't ever read your log, but they'll see that nice lil blue box with a number in it. Now, if you're ultra picky, and rarely award favorite votes that is fine. I'm specifically referring to the folks that don't reward any at all.

Have a good day :)

1.) I'm willing to bet that a lot of them don't even know about favorite points.

2.) Some folks feel that there is some sort of dumbing-down involved with favorite points, and feel that they are above "that sort of thing". There's been lots of discussion about favorite points don't accurately reflect the caching experience as they see it, blah, blah, blah.

Much like souvenirs, not everyone sees these things as fun and good-natured. A lot of folks take geocaching way too seriously.

B.

Not all cachers use all the features of the site. Many don't ever visit the forums.

Some don't bother with fave points, some don't bother with trackables.

Some don't bother to run PQ's or plan, just hit next closest.

Some don't do multis or puzzles.

Some never attend events, some don't even log their finds online!

I don't remeber signing up to do abide alle of the peculiar ideas other geocachers have about this or that. So as long as GS doesn't force me to use the FP's (in which case, they would be given out at random), I cannot see why this is a relevant question.

I don't remeber signing up to do abide alle of the peculiar ideas other geocachers have about this or that. So as long as GS doesn't force me to use the FP's (in which case, they would be given out at random), I cannot see why this is a relevant question.

Seriously, why don't you use them? I'm sure that you have a better reason than, "they can't make me".

Seriously, why don't you use them? I'm sure that you have a better reason than, "they can't make me".

I never said I didn't award them. Just that I haven't signed up to follow the whim of every other geocacher, that feel the need to proscribe how I should behave...

As I said, "Who cares"?

I personally think that a well written log that expresses someone's enjoyment of a cache means more than a number rating. I have 50 FP's and never think too much about them. I've used a couple, but they were for exceptional creativity in placing a cache or a really unique container. Both instances also included a log that was much more that TNLN/SL.

And, I still don't care if someone uses them or not. That's their choice.

I've noticed there are a significant number of premium cachers out there that don't ever award favorite points/votes.

How did you compile that? I'm sure it's true, but I've never tried to count that. It does seem to be a Facebook thing -- a Like. Maybe people aren't all that into Liking things.

I only have 53 Favorite Points, and currently have a balance of 3. If I Liked as many caches as possible (and I guess I have), it would be only one in ten. So it looks like I only Like 53 caches, but that's all I can Like. Sorry.

I don't know who does or does not award Favorite Points. I don't require or request them or ask why people aren't. But I'm amazed and honored and humbled when someone puts them on my caches.

Edited by kunarion

The whole first post stinks of trolling. How does anyone even know who is awarding favorite points or not? I suppose if one had way too much time on their hands they could monitor a cache or several and see if there's a correlation between the logs and the favorite points, but who's got the time for that?

When favorite points were started out, I had some 200 of them added to my account according to my find count at the time. I went through my past finds, and awarded some of those points to the most memorable ones I could think of. Since then I've found maybe 1K more caches, and awarded a pile of favorite points along the way (to ones I thought were worthy!). And know what - I still have some 200 unawarded favorite points. There's no requirement to award these things, you know.

One possible presumption of the op is that people are hoarding their favorite points for some nefarious purpose, maybe. Or... maybe they're just not finding caches that they think are worthy of them? Does the OP have a cache that they think is great, but just isn't getting any love? Maybe there's a reason for that?

Edited by sduck

1.) I'm willing to bet that a lot of them don't even know about favorite points.

2.) Some folks feel that there is some sort of dumbing-down involved with favorite points, and feel that they are above "that sort of thing". There's been lots of discussion about favorite points don't accurately reflect the caching experience as they see it, blah, blah, blah.

Much like souvenirs, not everyone sees these things as fun and good-natured. A lot of folks take geocaching way too seriously.

B.

1) I have a hard time believing that they don't know about favorite votes. We're talking about premium members here. The blue box with the votes is not exactly hidden, regardless of if you use the site or the app.

2) Favorite votes may not accurately reflect the caching experience if you just go by just the raw number, but the percentages tends to be more accurate. Of course, if you're one of those folks that never leave favorite votes, you're screwing with the percentages.

3) Yes, folks take caching too seriously. But I don't see why someone wouldn't want to reward somebody for putting out an incredible cache. I only have one favorite vote at my disposal. I like to give people favorite votes for quality caches. Those guys that brag about having 1000s of favorite votes available but refuse to use em? I just don't get that...

I went through my past finds, and awarded some of those points to the most memorable ones I could think of. Since then I've found maybe 1K more caches, and awarded a pile of favorite points along the way (to ones I thought were worthy!). And know what - I still have some 200 unawarded favorite points.

One thing I just noticed today, with my 4 newest caches, is since they're all the same kind of thing -- though each hidden slightly different and each decorated differently, they're basically a "set" -- that if someone Favorites one, I don't know how they'd choose one over the others. So you may wish to save extra Favorite Points just in case you find a bunch of identically cool ones and can't decide. :anicute:

Or... maybe they're just not finding caches that they think are worthy of them?

Our awarding has slowed mostly because we are pretty much just going for the types of caches we like. That raises the bar. If we were finding LPS and guardrails 90% (probably the norm from what we have seen published for awhile)of the time, a lock and lock in a bush at a park might be a favorite. Who knows, some locals might feel dissed because we didn't award a find as a favorite, but since we don't find those 90% LPS and guardrails, we have less favorites to give.

Does the OP have a cache that they think is great, but just isn't getting any love? Maybe there's a reason for that?

It looks like the OP receives lots of favorites so not sure what caused the thread.

The whole first post stinks of trolling. How does anyone even know who is awarding favorite points or not?

Not really sure what's up with the hostility. I get tired of seeing the same topics discussed on here all the time. You know... crappy swag, lame TFTC logs, LPC hate. So I figured I'd try a different topic.

It doesn't require Sherlock Holmes to find a cacher's favorite list. Click on a person's profile. That's one click. Click on the list tab. That's two clicks. His or her favorite vote list then pop ups. I sometimes look at these lists. If I see a cache favorited by a certain fellow, I'll know it's a definite winner. I find these lists to actually be quite helpful in deciding what caches to go for, as I'm a guy with limited time when it comes to caching.

I'm not mad or raging over this. I just thought it was a topic worthy of discussion. I apologize if some don't see it that way. **shrugs**

I get tired of seeing the same topics discussed on here all the time. You know... crappy swag, lame TFTC logs, LPC hate. So I figured I'd try a different topic.

Yes! This is more of a Wednesday topic. It's refreshing to see it on a Sunday.

:anibad:

:P

:laughing:

:ph34r:

I've noticed there are a significant number of premium cachers out there that don't ever award favorite points/votes.

How did you compile that? I'm sure it's true, but I've never tried to count that. It does seem to be a Facebook thing -- a Like. Maybe people aren't all that into Liking things.

I only have 53 Favorite Points, and currently have a balance of 3. If I Liked as many caches as possible (and I guess I have), it would be only one in ten. So it looks like I only Like 53 caches, but that's all I can Like. Sorry.

I don't know who does or does not award Favorite Points. I don't require or request them or ask why people aren't. But I'm amazed and honored and humbled when someone puts them on my caches.

Significant was probably an overstatement. My apologies. Probably more like 10-15%. I spend some time analyzing different stats on here. Typically people that never leaves favorites have 1) never hidden a cache themselves or 2)have thousands and thousands of finds and/or have been in the game for a very long time. In the latter case, I suppose it could be a chore going through thousands of finds to pin point the favorites, but even in those cases, I think some caches should stick out.

And yes, I never ask for or request a favorite either. And I'm greatly appreciative when I get one. I'm just curious why some people never choose to award them. This has nothing to do with me. Trust me, I'm overwhelmed at some of the positive feedback I've received on a couple of my caches. Like I said in another post, I just felt like discussing something different on here.

I went through my past finds, and awarded some of those points to the most memorable ones I could think of. Since then I've found maybe 1K more caches, and awarded a pile of favorite points along the way (to ones I thought were worthy!). And know what - I still have some 200 unawarded favorite points.

One thing I just noticed today, with my 4 newest caches, is since they're all the same kind of thing -- though each hidden slightly different and each decorated differently, they're basically a "set" -- that if someone Favorites one, I don't know how they'd choose one over the others. So you may wish to save extra Favorite Points just in case you find a bunch of identically cool ones and can't decide. :anicute:

If they were all quality hides, I'd give all of them a favorite vote if I had votes at my disposal. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury. So I'd probably end up just giving one a favorite. There was a fairly long cache series I did awhile ago. Excellent series with a bonus cache. I ended up just giving the bonus a favorite to sort of award the whole series. Best I could do. I like to award cache owners that hide good caches. Happy cache owners hide more caches. ;)

I get tired of seeing the same topics discussed on here all the time. You know... crappy swag, lame TFTC logs, LPC hate. So I figured I'd try a different topic.

Yes! This is more of a Wednesday topic. It's refreshing to see it on a Sunday.

OK, how bout we talk about how micros suck and are ruining the game? :grin:

The whole first post stinks of trolling. How does anyone even know who is awarding favorite points or not?

Not really sure what's up with the hostility. I get tired of seeing the same topics discussed on here all the time. You know... crappy swag, lame TFTC logs, LPC hate. So I figured I'd try a different topic.

It doesn't require Sherlock Holmes to find a cacher's favorite list. Click on a person's profile. That's one click. Click on the list tab. That's two clicks. His or her favorite vote list then pop ups. I sometimes look at these lists. If I see a cache favorited by a certain fellow, I'll know it's a definite winner. I find these lists to actually be quite helpful in deciding what caches to go for, as I'm a guy with limited time when it comes to caching.

I'm not mad or raging over this. I just thought it was a topic worthy of discussion. I apologize if some don't see it that way. **shrugs**

I'm confused by the hostility as well, and I think that it is a worthy topic. The favorite points really haven't caught on around here and I only know of one other local cacher besides myself that has told me that they went over past caches and awarded them. That cacher is also the only one that I know of that is a regular forum participant, so maybe that has something to do with it. At least most of the points that are getting rewarded around here are because of exceptional caches and not because of a FTF on an LPC, or Cacher A is friends with Cacher B and feels that they have to put points on all of their caches, or other such things. I think that most of the cachers around here that are regularly awarding points are cachers that started after the favorite point system started. Cachers that had been around for a number of years before the favorites were introduced don't seem to have an interest in them.

I don't see a problem with trying to explore why some people use their favorite points and others don't, while even others simply refuse to do so. I was hoping that you had started an interesting discussion. It's too bad that some can't simply answer a question at face value.

I'm just curious why some people never choose to award them.

I still have 3 unawarded Favorite Points. So I could tell my own reasons, but it's on a small scale, being only 3 points.

I went through the list, picked the great caches, and picked the ones I kind of liked, then went through the list a final time and picked the ones that I didn't hate, and had three points left over. Now what do I do?

So anyway, I have to go review the list, decide what to pick, go to each page, add a Favorite, go back to the list. And it almost seems arbitrary -- what kind of quality formula am I actually using? None, that's what kind. And I'm picking Favorite Caches, but other people may be using them to designate FTF for filtering, or caches of their friends, or favorite areas (not necessarily caches) or I don't know what.

The thing is, I may find 3 really stand-out caches next weekend, and I'd like these points available for those.

Now that I think about it, there was one a couple of weeks ago that I thought was a pretty cool place. So now my grand total is 2.

Edited by kunarion

Significant was probably an overstatement. My apologies. Probably more like 10-15%. I spend some time analyzing different stats on here. Typically people that never leaves favorites have 1) never hidden a cache themselves or 2)have thousands and thousands of finds and/or have been in the game for a very long time. In the latter case, I suppose it could be a chore going through thousands of finds to pin point the favorites, but even in those cases, I think some caches should stick out.

And yes, I never ask for or request a favorite either. And I'm greatly appreciative when I get one. I'm just curious why some people never choose to award them. This has nothing to do with me. Trust me, I'm overwhelmed at some of the positive feedback I've received on a couple of my caches. Like I said in another post, I just felt like discussing something different on here.

Because it's not a requirement? Cachers can do almost whatever they wish. The only thing required here is that if you wish to log a find on-line, you are required to sign the log book. (Yes. That's what I said, Toz.)

Anything else if optional. How many people have signed your log book without logging on-line? There are quite a number of cachers who do this. (The sad thing is people who move trackables without logging them. But that is not a requirement. Common sense? The right thing to do?)

The neo social interconnection phenonema is relatively new. Not all of us are into the FacePlant society. No. I am not connected 26 hours a day. I consider that bizarre!

Almost nine years in this hobby, with over 4400 finds, I have gone back and awarded Favorite Points to a lot of caches that I loved. This is an entirely different situation than awarding favvorite points on cache that you have found recently. Yeah. I still have over a hundred that I have not awarded.

At best, Favorites is a whimsical concept. Hey. I awarded two favorites today because there were cows nearby! Yes. I can be whimsical.

But, as noted previously, it is not a requirement to award favorite points. Some people are not into the FacePlant society. What's it to you, and why do you find it a problem. I think that's the major problem here: Why do you find it a problem???

Because it's not a requirement? Cachers can do almost whatever they wish. The only thing required here is that if you wish to log a find on-line, you are required to sign the log book. (Yes. That's what I said, Toz.)

Anything else if optional. How many people have signed your log book without logging on-line? There are quite a number of cachers who do this. (The sad thing is people who move trackables without logging them. But that is not a requirement. Common sense? The right thing to do?)

The neo social interconnection phenonema is relatively new. Not all of us are into the FacePlant society. No. I am not connected 26 hours a day. I consider that bizarre!

Almost nine years in this hobby, with over 4400 finds, I have gone back and awarded Favorite Points to a lot of caches that I loved. This is an entirely different situation than awarding favvorite points on cache that you have found recently. Yeah. I still have over a hundred that I have not awarded.

At best, Favorites is a whimsical concept. Hey. I awarded two favorites today because there were cows nearby! Yes. I can be whimsical.

But, as noted previously, it is not a requirement to award favorite points. Some people are not into the FacePlant society. What's it to you, and why do you find it a problem. I think that's the major problem here: Why do you find it a problem???

It's not a requirement to award favorite points. You are most certainly correctly in that. However, why wouldn't you want to award cache owners who put out fantastic caches? I'm just trying to understand the rationale here. You don't need to use ALL your votes. I was just referring in my original post to folks that NEVER award ANY votes.

If the favorite vote system is overly complicated or perhaps foreign, maybe something could be done to make the process easier for folks to figure out? Or if people don't want to award favorite votes, perhaps they could opt out of the system so their finds don't affect a cache's favorite vote percentage. Finally, what exactly does this topic have to do with FaceBook? :blink: Seriously, just because a guy still uses a typewriter and has been caching since the early days doesn't mean he can't award favorite votes. :anitongue:

That's right, young whipper snapper. Back in my day we had to go through bookmark Lists to find the best of the best! Favorite votes? BAH HUMBUG!

I can't speak for all folks who do not, but some of the people who never award premium points just hate the idea of being asked to favorite caches or having to pick between friends. They figure its not worth the hassle of having friends disappointed that they did not favorite their cache, so to remove that possibility, they give not a single favorite point.

I can't speak for all folks who do not, but some of the people who never award premium points just hate the idea of being asked to favorite caches or having to pick between friends. They figure its not worth the hassle of having friends disappointed that they did not favorite their cache, so to remove that possibility, they give not a single favorite point.

Wow, that actually makes a lot of sense. Good reply. Thank you. :)

2) Favorite votes may not accurately reflect the caching experience if you just go by just the raw number, but the percentages tends to be more accurate. Of course, if you're one of those folks that never leave favorite votes, you're screwing with the percentages.

If a cache has more then 3 FPs, it's a good indication that it will be at least a decent cache (not a nano on a sign, or a film can under a lamp post). I think FPs are the next best thing to PQs. It's made my frustration with micros a lot less stressful. Now I will hunt micros if they have at least 5 FPs and some recent good comments.

3) Yes, folks take caching too seriously. But I don't see why someone wouldn't want to reward somebody for putting out an incredible cache. I only have one favorite vote at my disposal. I like to give people favorite votes for quality caches. Those guys that brag about having 1000s of favorite votes available but refuse to use em? I just don't get that...

I've noticed that too, that some PMs take pride in rarely rewarding FPs. Maybe they feel that it makes their FP vote more special then the guy who has used up most of his FPs. I see FPs as a community service and a way to encourage better caches.

Since I am one of the PM cachers that has NEVER awarded a FP (and never will) I'll tell you why.

I want to honestly rate EVERY CACHE I FIND, on a scale of 1 to 10 (or .5 to 5 if you like).

I want to point out the crappy caches at the same time as I point out the excellent caches.

When the FP system was in development and the pre-release announcement came out that a 'rating system' was going to be added, I was ecstatic! Finally, a way to filter out the 'less than stellar' caches, while keeping the average or better ones. Perhaps even setting my own 'acceptable quality' level based on community ratings.

NO SUCH LUCK...either a cache is (allegedly) awesome, or nothing.

But, why not allow the option to point out a cache was sub-standard? Groundspeak was and is (probably rightly so) afraid that a cacher that hid crappy caches that got crappy ratings probably wouldn't renew their membership(s). Not a viable option, eh?

On top of that, people were soliciting FP 'votes' at the beginning (since anyone can see whether I gave a FP or not)...if I am to vote, I will do it anonymously. The logic is that I will know if a cache is worth going for by knowing who favorited it, but if I'm away from my local territory, how would I know (or care) what kind of caches 'Cacher X' likes?

In conclusion:

I wanted a system that allows me to filter out the dregs, but leaves me with the average or better caches (with my choice of where the average line is drawn). Sure, a cache with 40 or 50 FP is probably pretty good, but there are plenty of decent caches with no FP, and even some skirtlifters with a FP or two.

Given that I can't even create a PQ based on FP, it's a useless feature unless you want to take the time to make a bookmark list of the most favorited caches in an area and then make a PQ from that.

Why should I participate in a system that provides me NO BENEFIT WHATSOEVER?

Rant over. :)

Am glad there is not a system to give negative points, I can imagine many people / cachers who do not like each other and would hate to see personal disagreements cloud over the favorite system. Sure, I can see some benefits to it, but I think the drawbacks outweigh those. I do not think the favorite system solves everything. For example, I know of one cache where over 9 out of 10 folks say nice things about the park, the hide, the experience, but not one favorite point. Favorite points may show the most likely caches to be good, but just because a cache has 0 favorites, does not mean its crappy. Course, on the flip side, I can't imagine any traditional having 20 favorites and be crappy (a virtual, maybe more likely as a virtual is likely to get favorites for just being a virtual).

To piggyback on what I said earlier, some folks do not issue favorite points for fear of making their friends feel bad....well, there would be a lot more hurt feelings if we allow folks to really say what we think about caches. IMHO.

(edited the word good for bad)

Edited by lamoracke

I take it that you don't see FPs as a community working together to reward good caching experiences and to encourage better cache hides.

Wow! I do dozens of things every day of my life that I am not required to do. If you don't someone doesn't want to award their favorites, fine. If the only reason is that you're not required to do so, well, I just think that's week.

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to personalize it...

Edited by Don_J

I never said I didn't award them. Just that I haven't signed up to follow the whim of every other geocacher, that feel the need to proscribe how I should behave...

Favorite points help the game & help other cachers decide which caches to visit. They are imprecise & given for umpteen good & bad reasons, but they give a vague general measure of the quality & interest of a cache.

Am glad there is not a system to give negative points

<snip>

if we allow folks to really say what we think about caches. IMHO.

Who said anything about NEGATIVE points? :unsure:

In fact, if a cache does not get a FP under the current system, isn't that a negative? :unsure::unsure:

How is anyone going to learn to place better caches if they get no feedback about their choices?

If thirty people find a cache on the guardrail next to the dumpster behind the strip mall and COLLECTIVELY rate it a 1.5 star cache, it's a crappy cache.

<snip>

In fact, if a cache does not get a FP under the current system, isn't that a negative? :unsure::unsure:

How is anyone going to learn to place better caches if they get no feedback about their choices?

If thirty people find a cache on the guardrail next to the dumpster behind the strip mall and COLLECTIVELY rate it a 1.5 star cache, it's a crappy cache.

It's too bad GCVote hasn't caught on in your area.

<snip>

No, I do not think not giving a favorite is a negative. The max you can give favorites on is 10%. I am way more stingy than that, I may do about 5-6% if that. So, does that mean I think 95% of caches are bad? No, I just do not think they are creme de la creme.

AZ,

First off, thanks for adding to the discussion. :) So you don't like the system and choose to protest it by not giving out votes? I get that. That decision does has a a negative effect on cache owners, though. You may not be awarding votes, but you are still altering favorite vote percentages for each cache you find in a negative way. So in reality, I'd argue you're still technically participating in the favorite vote system even though you're trying not to. Make sense? :grin: And in my opinion, the percentages are often more valuable to a cacher to look at than the raw numbers. For example, if I see a cache with 20 votes and 10% favorites and one with 10 votes and 90% favorites, I'm going to go after the latter.

And in my opinion, the percentages are often more valuable to a cacher to look at than the raw numbers. For example, if I see a cache with 20 votes and 10% favorites and one with 10 votes and 90% favorites, I'm going to go after the latter.

How would that work with the older caches that folks didn't backlog on ?

In our area, there's many that never got favorites added when they became available, but have mostly favorable logs.

You'd miss good caches due to lack of favorite "points"?

Just wanted to add one more thing to my earlier response to this. I know if a caching buddy of mine got annoyed and gave me a hard time about not giving his cache a favorite vote, then he really wasn't much of a friend to begin with. Grow up and stop being a chicken IMO. How many caches have you actually found where you actually know the owner? It's probably a low percentage. But because you're scared of your caching buddy's wrath, you choose not to award favorite votes and penalize other cachers? Somebody mentioned something about being weak earlier? :laughing: Grow a spine and award those votes to deserving caches! :)

**this is not directed at you specifically, lamracke. Just speaking in general**

And in my opinion, the percentages are often more valuable to a cacher to look at than the raw numbers. For example, if I see a cache with 20 votes and 10% favorites and one with 10 votes and 90% favorites, I'm going to go after the latter.

How would that work with the older caches that folks didn't backlog on ?

In our area, there's many that never got favorites added when they became available, but have mostly favorable logs.

You'd miss good caches due to lack of favorite "points"?

Point taken. Personally, I focus more on the percentages for the newer caches than the older ones. The current favorite vote system is definitely not a perfect, but I don't think that means one should just blow it off. Indeed, it "still" is quite helpful to most cachers even if flawed.

Just wanted to add one more thing to my earlier response to this. I know if a caching buddy of mine got annoyed and gave me a hard time about not giving his cache a favorite vote, then he really wasn't much of a friend to begin with. Grow up and stop being a chicken IMO. How many caches have you actually found where you actually know the owner? It's probably a low percentage. But because you're scared of your caching buddy's wrath, you choose not to award favorite votes and penalize other cachers? Somebody mentioned something about being weak earlier? :laughing: Grow a spine and award those votes to deserving caches! :)

**this is not directed at you specifically, lamracke. Just speaking in general**

Right about here is where the discussion completely skids off the rails. :huh:

Right about here is where the discussion completely skids off the rails. :huh:

How so? Please enlighten me. Was just having a little fun there. If people don't want to risk annoying their friends, that is his or her choice. If people don't want to give out votes, that's his or her choice. I was just trying to find out the reasoning behind it. I've actually quite enjoyed this thread so far. :smile:

AZ,

First off, thanks for adding to the discussion. :) So you don't like the system and choose to protest it by not giving out votes? I get that. That decision does has a a negative effect on cache owners, though. You may not be awarding votes, but you are still altering favorite vote percentages for each cache you find in a negative way. So in reality, I'd argue you're still technically participating in the favorite vote system even though you're trying not to. Make sense? :grin: And in my opinion, the percentages are often more valuable to a cacher to look at than the raw numbers. For example, if I see a cache with 20 votes and 10% favorites and one with 10 votes and 90% favorites, I'm going to go after the latter.

And technically I participated in the lottery even though I didn't buy a ticket, because it increases your chances of winning. :lol:

P.S. I have a Geocoin to mark those really special caches.

It don't get around much.

AZ,

And technically I participated in the lottery even though I didn't buy a ticket, because it increases your chances of winning. :lol:

P.S. I have a Geocoin to mark those really special caches.

It don't get around much.

Mind blown! :laughing: