Anyone put a cache on top of Everest

It looks like the closest cache is GC9A9E, in Tibet with a view of Everest. I think an Everest cache would have to be at least a 7 terrain! (I'm in the midddle of reading about several expeditions and their outcomes- very much a place I don't want to climb to!)

-Jennifer

Where am I going? I ain't certain.

When will I get there? I don't know.

All as I know is I am on my way!

tThe reason I ask is I had watched a program on PBS a few months ago, and it showed some explorers writing in a logbook at some remote location. I wish I remembered where. Anyway I would imagine that climbers would leave some evidence at the summit besides discarded oxygen bottles. It certainly would be a level 7 or so. icon_smile.gif

Well, I haven't been there and I don't plan to be! It's just too cold there for me. I like the nice warm weather were I am. This morning, it was -34C when I headed off too work. Hmmm... Maybe Mt Everest would be a little warmer icon_cool.gif

But if you're interested, the summit of Mt Everest is N27 53.943 E 86 56.011

What you probably saw was a Peak Book (or something like that) that was placed for folks who made it to the top to sign. They precede Geocaching and quite a few peaks have them. The nearest to me is on Lolo Peak, and it was placed YEARS ago, in a metal container by the forest service or someone who was into climbing peaks and got permission to place it. Essentially, it is a container with a log book or pieces of paper that visitors have signed over the years. Sometimes FS lookouts have them as well. The one on Lolo Peak has a long history of signers from what I hear. I am looking forward to finding it next summer. Currently, there are 3 or 4 cachers planning on being the FIRST to place a real cache on the mountain, but it won't compete with the log book, and will probably give the coordinates for it as well.

I don't know of any "list" available of Peak Logs, good luck finding more info.

-Jennifer

Do you think we could get a 10*/10* set up just for Everest?

Summit Log info can be found on www.peakware.com they have a neat site, not comphrensive, but neat. The closest listed Peak Log to me is on Borah Peak in Idaho. Check them out- they even let you sign the logs online as well, like geocaching.com does.

-Jennifer

Another mountain based cache I'd like to locate is the one on Cotopaxi in Ecuador. I visited that reigion last year and the snow- capped yet equatorial mountain still lingers in my memory. Nobody has found this cache yet. There are also caches around the Hoernli hut on the Matterhorn.

At least with high altitude, mountaineering caches you don't need to worry about vandals or just ignorant members of the public stumbling upon them.

It'll be one of the only 4*/4* virtual webcam caches in existance! It would have to be rated at least that to account for all the paperwork you would need to even get to it's location, and the altitude accilimatization would be pretty tough. Can you imagine the long distnace bill you'd get, calling the states to get someone to take your picture! icon_smile.gif Not quite worth the $$$$$. I'd rather spend that on getting a few caches near home, like in Hawaii or Chicago!

-Jennifer

Log book entry for Everest Cache:

Found cache after looking for 3 months. Stupid GPS kept sending me up and down the mountain side. Finally found it sitting right on the tip top where the hint said it would be. Took oxygen bottle, left finger tips.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"A noble spirit embiggins the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

----------------------------------------------------------------