How do I Export Cache Details

webfinds

My husband and I are new to this .. and LOVE IT!! We're finding that the GPS aspect of the app quickly drains the smartphone battery. We have a GPS device and have been loading coordinates into it. All of this leads to my question: Either with or without the premium membership, is there an export feature to capture cache coordinates and names based on a search criteria? Perhaps a way to capture all cache details based on a zip code? If so, how do I learn more about this feature? Thank you!!

My husband and I are new to this .. and LOVE IT!! We're finding that the GPS aspect of the app quickly drains the smartphone battery. We have a GPS device and have been loading coordinates into it. All of this leads to my question: Either with or without the premium membership, is there an export feature to capture cache coordinates and names based on a search criteria? Perhaps a way to capture all cache details based on a zip code? If so, how do I learn more about this feature? Thank you!!

That would be "Pocket Queries": http://www.geocaching.com/about/premium.aspx

That's a Premium feature, and the amount of info depends on the GPS receiver. A car GPSr will usually show cache name and location, a "paperless" hiking GPSr will show the complete cache description (text), recent logs, and the hint.

That would be "Pocket Queries": http://www.geocaching.com/about/premium.aspx

That's a Premium feature, and the amount of info depends on the GPS receiver. A car GPSr will usually show cache name and location, a "paperless" hiking GPSr will show the complete cache description (text), recent logs, and the hint.

We have an older GPS. Not sure if it's compatible. Is there not a way to export data into excel or something? I've been reading of printing out details --- how is that done? Thank you again.

We have an older GPS. Not sure if it's compatible. Is there not a way to export data into excel or something? I've been reading of printing out details --- how is that done? Thank you again.

There's software that condenses details to fit GPSrs that don't have a lot of display room. And just now I did a search and found a couple of Chrome plugins that may print caches as a list. I thought there was a stand-alone list program, but can't find it at the moment. I have a paperless GPSr, yet often would prefer a print-out to write on. :anicute:

Since you're bringing your phone anyway, if you load a PQ onto that, you'd have a database on hand without printing it. Use a Geocaching App (some of those are free) that loads Pocket Queries. Turn off data and GPS on the phone, and you can browse the list while saving phone power (you'd lose a lot of features of the Apps of course, but the PQ info remains), use the handheld GPSr for hunting the cache.

...until you get a newer GPSr someday, or a smartphone with a bigger battery. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

Have a somewhat related problem but with an Oregon 550. Ran my first pocket query, dowonloaded easyGPS as requested. Now when I click on the emailed attachment it immediately puts me on the general geocaching.com page showing of caches that I requested but no option to add the details such as clues, decrypted hints etc. for downloading to the GPS. I read in another thread that you could drag the .gpx files directly to the Garmin 550 GPX folder but can't find the pocket query generated GPX files icon to do this. ???

I posted this in the other thread you asked this question in, but here it is again:

When you're on your pocket queries page (from the "Your profile" drop down menu, choose "Pocket Queries"), you should see a list of Active Pocket Queries, and right next to it there's a tab called "Pocket Queries Ready for Download." Click on that, and you should see the pocket query. Click on it and download it as a zipped file. Once it has downloaded, unzip it and you'll have two gpx files - one that is the geocaches, and one of the associated waypoints (it will have "wpts" in the title).

Those two files can be dragged and dropped into the corresponding folder on your Oregon 550.