New Micro Container

Have you ever gotten to GZ, found the micro cache, only to discover you didn't bring a writing stick with you? I sure have. The micro container below solves this problem. Just cut the pen to length, plug the top with the top of the cylinder you just cut off, and add your favorite method of securing it. Simple.

ls%3D00537396854820130502220321579.JPG

ls%3D00537396854820130502220318146.JPG

Have you ever gotten to GZ, found the micro cache, only to discover you didn't bring a writing stick with you? I sure have. The micro container below solves this problem. Just cut the pen to length, plug the top with the top of the cylinder you just cut off, and add your favorite method of securing it. Simple.

ls%3D00537396854820130502220321579.JPG

ls%3D00537396854820130502220318146.JPG

I was FTF on a cache that used a pen for a container. It was a 4D rated cache that I found about two days after it was hidden. Even in that short of time the log sheet was soaked from just a small amount of rain.

Any way you can make the photos bigger?

Micro cache, micro photo

Way to go!!! I feel bad for laughing!

:laughing: Maybe the scale's 1:1. :ph34r:

For a second, I thought I was going to show myself to be more internet savvy then the first few jokester posters. :lol: But the orignial image, as posted to the web, is indeed 2.5 KB avatar (at best) sized. Please post a bigger one!

Have you ever gotten to GZ to find the cache is a writing stick?

I sure have.

Most had a soaked log.

Same here. I've found several, and every one was in bad shape. You'd have to make a lot of modifications to turn a pen into a viable cache container. If the OP's is anything like the ones I've found, the log won't stay dry beyond the first rainy or heavy-dew day.

By zooming in on the tiny photos, it sort of looks like it relies on the end cap to keep it watertight (based on the general shape of those blurry blobs). If that's the case, I don't think that will cut it.

I sure have.

Most had a soaked log.

If this is an improvement, please post larger pics.

There's actually more to the story of the one I found. It was a short walk from where my son takes gymnastics among a lot of large rocks on a flood control levee. When I first picked it up I though it was just some CITO so I stuck it in my pocket and continued searching before giving up. On the way back to pick up my son I saw what appeared to be a fairly fresh pile of bear scat. I wasn't sure so I took a picture of it with my phone, and to show the scale, dropped the pen next to it. When I got home I posted a DNF log with the photo of bear scat and in the forums to see if anyone could confirm it was, in fact, bear scat. I wouldn't have bothered with the photo except that it was't more than 100 feet from the entrance of the gymnastics facility and I thought that they should be aware of it. About a half hour later I was thinking about the cache and thought...mmm, I wonder...took the pen from my pocket, opened it up and discovered the very damp, but empty, log inside. Of course, now I had to contact the CO and let him know that I had his cache and would replace it the next day. I think it may have been found once after I replaced it and the finder also mentioned the wet log and then the CO archived it.

a GEOCACHER always bring more pens over how many GPS units he bring,

since writing in the log book - is more important than anything else,

it is REQUIRED to be able to log a find correctly.

I delete logs all the time of so called finds performed by people who forgot a pen.

I delete logs all the time of so called finds performed by people who forgot a pen.

Bet you're real popular with the locals. :blink:

I've cached pen-less and thankfully nobody's deleted any of my logs. Sometimes it's because I thought there are pens in the cachemobile and there weren't. Sometimes its because the pen I did bring blew up on me. Sometimes it's because I dropped my pen on the way to the cache. Because my GPS can take photos, I will take a photo for proof if needed, but nobody here has been anal enough to ask for it.

I've compared some of my cache logbooks to the online version, but I found it time-consuming and annoying. Sometimes the names are out-of-order or hard to read. Invariably, I have found MORE names on the physical logbook than online. I don't bother anymore unless I'm really bored and anyway I wouldn't delete a log unless it was REALLY obvious they hadn't been to the cache.

That's overzealous. Don't assume all people out geocaching always walk around with a full supply pack. I've had many spur-of-the-moment lunchtime jaunts where I was in a new area and decided to look for a cache, only to realize I forgot my pen in the car or something. Only once or twice have I ever not signed a log somehow, but I feel fine about it because I know I found it, opened it and put it back where it belonged. On those occasions, I take a picture of it in case the CO is a stickler like you. So far nobody has asked...

Actually, signing the log is not required. In the same way, you as the CO are not required to delete finds for which the log was not signed. Sure, you do have the right, but most cachers are in this for fun, not strict record-keeping, so most COs don't feel the need to delete logs on that basis.

Anyway, like Mrs. Incredibles, for the few times that I have compared the physical log to the online log, there have always been tons of physical signatures that never logged it online. Maybe I should be crossing out those logs in the physical log? :rolleyes:

I found this on the Groundspeak Guidelines:

LOGGING Guidelines: Logging Guidelines cover the requirements that must be fulfilled in order to log a find.

"Logging of All Physical Geocaches

Physical caches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed.

For physical caches all logging requirements beyond finding the cache and signing the log are considered additional logging requirements (ALRs) and must be optional."

This clearly states that you have to sign the log, or you can't claim the find. For example, if you're in a busy muggle area, or perched precariously up a tree; part of the challenge is to sign the log. If you haven't signed the log, you can't claim the find!

LOGGING Guidelines: Logging Guidelines cover the requirements that must be fulfilled in order to log a find.

Physical caches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed.

For physical caches all logging requirements beyond finding the cache and signing the log are considered additional logging requirements (ALRs) and must be optional."

This clearly states that you have to sign the log, or you can't claim the find. For example, if you're in a busy muggle area, or perched precariously up a tree; part of the challenge is to sign the log. If you haven't signed the log, you can't claim the find!

No.

The guideline states that if you sign the log book, you are able to log online (meaning a cache owner cannot delete your online log if you sign the log book).

If the guideline said "Physical caches can ONLY be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed.", then you would be correct.

A cache owner may make exceptions - the log was a pulpy mes but the cacher took a picture of it, etc.

This geocacher doesn't always have a pen. For most of my geocaching life a pen or pencil was included in most caches around here. It was expected. So when I go out caching, a pen is often the last thing I think of and the only time I usually have a problem is when I'm caching outside this region. Signed a log with the burnt end of a match last week in NM.

As far as those who find my cache where the pen was missing and they forgot to bring one, I let the log stand. I see this sport as geoCACHING not geoLOGGING. If they found the cache that's good enough for me as a cache owner.

Edited by briansnat

Forgot the pen? C'mon, people, be creative! I signed one log by pressing my fingernail against a blade of grass. Nice green signature.

Extra signatures in log? Usually due to muggles tagging along with a cacher.

I sure have.

Most had a soaked log.

If this is an improvement, please post larger pics.

There's actually more to the story of the one I found. It was a short walk from where my son takes gymnastics among a lot of large rocks on a flood control levee. When I first picked it up I though it was just some CITO so I stuck it in my pocket and continued searching before giving up. On the way back to pick up my son I saw what appeared to be a fairly fresh pile of bear scat. I wasn't sure so I took a picture of it with my phone, and to show the scale, dropped the pen next to it. When I got home I posted a DNF log with the photo of bear scat and in the forums to see if anyone could confirm it was, in fact, bear scat. I wouldn't have bothered with the photo except that it was't more than 100 feet from the entrance of the gymnastics facility and I thought that they should be aware of it. About a half hour later I was thinking about the cache and thought...mmm, I wonder...took the pen from my pocket, opened it up and discovered the very damp, but empty, log inside. Of course, now I had to contact the CO and let him know that I had his cache and would replace it the next day. I think it may have been found once after I replaced it and the finder also mentioned the wet log and then the CO archived it.

I was third and last to find on a cache made out of a pen that had been in play about a day and a half. It was more than likely that it was picked up by someone and thrown in the nearby trash can.

It clearly does NOT state that you have to sign the log. If the statement was "Physical caches can ONLY be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed", then your statement would be true.

When you put the two parts together, it is clear that is is telling you that once you have signed the log, the cache owner can put no further requirements on you in order to log the cache online.

It clearly does NOT state that you have to sign the log. If the statement was "Physical caches can ONLY be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed", then your statement would be true.

When you put the two parts together, it is clear that is is telling you that once you have signed the log, the cache owner can put no further requirements on you in order to log the cache online.

Um yes, it clearly DOES state that you have to sign the log!

It says, "These are the requirements that MUST be fulfilled in order to log a find".

I agree with you about the A.L.R.'s, but it says that those are optional. Therefore, you have to sign the log.

It says, "These are the requirements that MUST be fulfilled in order to log a find".

I agree with you about the A.L.R.'s, but it says that those are optional. Therefore, you have to sign the log.

Um no, it clearly does not.

As you quoted earlier, this is what it states:

"Physical caches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed."

As you can see from the other rebuttals to your claim, this statement's meaning does not have universal acceptance. Some interpret it one way, whilst others interpret it another way. Since so many folks interpret it in a way that runs contrary to your interpretation, it clearly is not 'clear'. Is that clear? :lol:

In general, when I run across a statement that folks interpret in various ways, I tend to go to the source, to try and discern what they meant by that statement. In this case, the CEO of Groundspeak, his Lackeys, the Reviewers and the forum Moderators, seem to lean more toward Don's interpretation. Though even then, it's not universal. I think Toz probably has the best response to those in your camp, which I hope he will copy/paste for your enlightenment. Gotta warn you, it's a pretty lengthy read. :P

Um no, it clearly does not.

As you quoted earlier, this is what it states:

"Physical caches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed."

As you can see from the other rebuttals to your claim, this statement's meaning does not have universal acceptance. Some interpret it one way, whilst others interpret it another way. Since so many folks interpret it in a way that runs contrary to your interpretation, it clearly is not 'clear'. Is that clear? :lol:

In general, when I run across a statement that folks interpret in various ways, I tend to go to the source, to try and discern what they meant by that statement. In this case, the CEO of Groundspeak, his Lackeys, the Reviewers and the forum Moderators, seem to lean more toward Don's interpretation. Though even then, it's not universal. I think Toz probably has the best response to those in your camp, which I hope he will copy/paste for your enlightenment. Gotta warn you, it's a pretty lengthy read. :P

I'm sorry, but I genuinely can't see how the statement can be interpreted in any other way! I'm not being pedantic or belligerent, but I don't even SEE the other interpretation. I just can't work it out.

"Physical caches can be logged online as "found" once the physical log has been signed".

So you sign the log, then you can claim a find online. What is the other interpretation of this statement?!

Edited by alexrea

"Physical caches can be logged online as "found" once the physical log has been signed".

So you sign the log, then you can claim a find online. What is the other interpretation of this statement?!

There is no "only" in the statement. The statement was written to prevent cache owners from deleting an online log if the physical logbook has been signed (and to eliminate ALRs).

The statement also does not preclude other situations where the online log may be claimed. As I mentioned above, just because the log is a pulpy mess shouldn't preclude me from logging a smiley online.

There is no "only" in the statement. The statement was written to prevent cache owners from deleting an online log if the physical logbook has been signed (and to eliminate ALRs).

The statement also does not preclude other situations where the online log may be claimed. As I mentioned above, just because the log is a pulpy mess shouldn't preclude me from logging a smiley online.

I wouldn't have thought there needs to be an "only" in the statement. Surely it's implied? And even without the word, the sentence still reads the same to me.

I agree that you should be able to log a smiley online, even if the cache is a pulpy mess, as this would be an exceptional circumstance.

I wouldn't have thought there needs to be an "only" in the statement. Surely it's implied? And even without the word, the sentence still reads the same to me.

I agree that you should be able to log a smiley online, even if the cache is a pulpy mess, as this would be an exceptional circumstance.

Therein lies the problem with your interpretation. It leaves no room for exceptions.

Under your interpretation, if you paddle 9 miles through an alligator infested swamp, doing one of my Wherigo hides, and you discover that the ammo can which you located, (AKA: found), is rusted shut, you don't get to lg a "Found It". If you trundle through miles of snow, fighting off gale force freezing winds, to the cache at the South Pole, and find it encased in ice which you are unable to defeat, again, you cannot log it as found. The same is true if you drive to a Wally World, peek under a lamp post skirt and find a film can full of moldy pulp. No signature = no smilie, by your interpretation.

The folks who run this place seem to feel that the determining factor should mostly be between the seeker and the hider to work out. The guideline you quote is here as a last resort, in the event you do sign a log, and some owner opts to delete your online log. Granted, we all know that you should sign the log. That is an integral part of this hobby. But doing so is not quite the absolute that you think it is.

Prior to April 4, 2009, Groundspeak allowed what were known as Additional Logging Requirement, (ALR) caches. A classic example would be a cache that had Groucho Marks glasses in it. In order to log the cache online, the owner would require you to post a photo of yourself wearing the glasses. If you didn't post the photo, the cache owner could delete your log. After this process was abolished, Groundspeak told the cache owners that they could no longer delete logs based on any requirements beyond that of a signature in the log book, thus, once the log has been signed, it can be logged online. Groundspeak originally placed that statement in the guidelines for cache owners, basically telling them that if a log is signed, the finder can log it online. Later, the guidelines were totally restructured on the website and the statement was moved causing a lot of confusion, and 100s of forum posts debating the issue.

Ahhh, I see what the matter is here. Clan Riffster states that, "we all know we should sign the log" and "it's an integral part of the hobby" but also gives examples of when a find may have to be logged without signing.

I completely agree.

I thought that some posters were saying, you don't have to sign the log if you don't feel like it. This didn't make sense to me, as otherwise you could claim a find by being within sight of the container.

I still think that if someone finds a LPC for example and has forgotten a pen, they should make the effort to come back with one, before they can claim the find. I think it's bad form not to sign the log in that situation. That's just lazy geocaching.