Small log baggies?

if a log needs a bag, your container is most likely a bad quality,

why not use a good water tight container first of all ?

Good water-tight containers don't matter if a random cacher doesn't put the lid back on securely. I've even had a Lock&Lock replaced with the lid on upside down! A good baggy helps prolong the life of the contents.

I've found the pill bags tend to be more thick and brittle, and often lose their ability to seal shut quickly when the bags are folded this way and that to put back in micro containers. Craft baggies may not be as thick, but have better flexibility and are still quality.

Good water-tight containers don't matter if a random cacher doesn't put the lid back on securely. I've even had a Lock&Lock replaced with the lid on upside down! A good baggy helps prolong the life of the contents.

I've found the pill bags tend to be more thick and brittle, and often lose their ability to seal shut quickly when the bags are folded this way and that to put back in micro containers. Craft baggies may not be as thick, but have better flexibility and are still quality.

It's a gamble either way. But it's been my experience that if you use an authentic Lock & Lock (look for the Lock & Lock seal on the lid and bottom of the container) it will stay dry better without a baggie. Especially if you use a baggie that needs to be folded and squeezed to get it back in the box, i.e. too big for the box. Inevitably the baggie gets caught in the seal, then box fills with water when the next rainstorm that passes through. And, more often then not the baggie seal has worn out and doesn't protect the logbook.

Baggies used in film canisters and hide-a-keys deteriorate fast because they have to be scrunched and folded and shoved into the container. Better to use a good watertight Coghlan's match container with a good o-ring instead of counting on a baggie for protection. If you have to count on a baggie, be prepared to replace the baggie every couple of months.

A common problem I noticed with lock n locks, is that a well meaning cacher will add a bag to hold the log, and then another cacher will close the lid on it, causing it not to seal and making everything wet after the next rain. This is compounded by the fact that most cachers will place pens and pencils in the bags which poke holes in them. I hid a cache without a bag, and after a few years discovered it was wet due to someone else's large bag with pen holes in it which was the culprit. :rolleyes:

Someone else has mention head shops. Piercing/tattoo parlors also have small baggies. As they order them in the thousands, I've found that they are usually more than happy to sell me a hundred or so for a few bucks.

That's raises an interesting question.

Do Geocachers tend to visit craft stores or head shops for small baggies? :D

.. or I am buying different size bags to encase the swag that I leave in caches.

It doesn't have to be about logs.

.. or I am buying different size bags to encase the swag that I leave in caches.

It doesn't have to be about logs.

The little baggies are nice for packaging swag.

The OP entitled his post - "Small log baggies", so perhaps we can presume he's going to use them to try to keep a logsheet dry.

Someone else has mention head shops. Piercing/tattoo parlors also have small baggies. As they order them in the thousands, I've found that they are usually more than happy to sell me a hundred or so for a few bucks.

That's raises an interesting question.

Do Geocachers tend to visit craft stores or head shops for small baggies? :D

Maybe they visit the head shops *first*, *then* the craft shops. ;D

All containers may fail, even ammo boxes. I always include a Ziploc as second layer of protection for the logbook and it's saved many a logbook over the years.

It's a gamble either way. But it's been my experience that if you use an authentic Lock & Lock (look for the Lock & Lock seal on the lid and bottom of the container) it will stay dry better without a baggie. Especially if you use a baggie that needs to be folded and squeezed to get it back in the box, i.e. too big for the box. Inevitably the baggie gets caught in the seal, then box fills with water when the next rainstorm that passes through. And, more often then not the baggie seal has worn out and doesn't protect the logbook.

Baggies used in film canisters and hide-a-keys deteriorate fast because they have to be scrunched and folded and shoved into the container. Better to use a good watertight Coghlan's match container with a good o-ring instead of counting on a baggie for protection. If you have to count on a baggie, be prepared to replace the baggie every couple of months.

The baggie saved the logbook in this genuine Lock n Lock.

I think one of the keys is to use an appropriately sized baggie. Put a gallon Ziploc in a small or medium Lock n Lock and odds are that it will get caught in the seal and cause more problems than it prevents.

I've tried the craft store Ziplocs and they are very thin and don't last long. The pill bags that drugstores sell were once nice and thick, but the last few batches I bought the bags were craft store thickness. You can buy 4 and 5 mil bags online in a variety of sizes if you don't mind buying like a thousand at a pop. I recently discovered that the local REI stocks 4 mil Ziplocs in a variety of sizes and you can buy them individually if you want.

882750_4977002295856_973451937_o.jpg

Edited by briansnat

The baggie saved the logbook in this genuine Lock n Lock

882750_4977002295856_973451937_o.jpg

Wow. What happened to cause the container to break up like that?

This is a good example of baggies that are a good fit to the logbook and swag. They are smaller then the container so don't need the air squeezed out of them and then folded and crammed into the box. The baggies are less likely to get caught in the seal. The baggie around the logbook must be fairly new and I don't see a pencil in the baggie. The baggie that holds the thing with the level, shows signs of rust. Actually, the contents as a whole, look pretty good. Must be fairly recent damage and/or a dry environment.

As a precaution a baggie that fits comfortably into the water tight container, is a good thing and may protect the logbook. Relying on a baggie to keep the logbook dry, example in a magnetic key holder, is not going to work unless the CO changes the baggie after every 5 or so visits. It would be good to know what kind of container the OP is using and whether he is relying on the baggie to keep the logsheet dry.