Automate The Trackable Loss Management Process

kunarion

If my TB has vanished from a cache or is held by a cacher who isn't active, or it hasn't been logged in months, I need to start monitoring the TB in preparation for re-release. It's kind of a chore to decide which to re-release and when, since various ones are dying at various times. Some automatic monitoring would help.

Here's the framework of what could happen at appropriate times over the course of 12 months:

1) Start a timer when the TB has lost contact (back-dated to the last activity log point).

2) Markup the TB page to communicate that the Trackable Owner is trying to find the TB.

3) Advise the TO when to manufacture a replacement.

4) Mark it Missing to remove it from incorrect Inventories.

5) Clean up any references to "Missing" upon re-release of the TB.

Make it so I can manually start a timer whenever I realize the TB has stalled, or reset when I get info that it's still active.

At 6 months, add something to the TB's page like “This TB has not been heard from in a while. Anyone who knows its status, please post a log.” As a note log, or even a big, red text at the top of the page. At this time, provide some direction for a TB languishing in a cache -- if the cache hasn't been found in the past 6 months, that TB may be still in that container just fine, and therefore the next timed events won't occur (since the TB is possibly not missing). Otherwise, append “[Missing]” to the end of the TB's name. This makes its status evident in any TB list, to alert anyone who may be able to help.

At 11 months, add something like “Prepare a new TB for re-release. This TB will be marked Missing in 30 days.” Advise how and when to do a re-release re-using the same Tracking Number. Optionally, this is when you append “[Missing]” to the end of the TB's name, rather than at 6 months.

At 12 months, officially mark it Missing, so it gets removed from listed Inventories.

Each log gets emailed to the TO as any log would, so you know each TB's status. A chart would be good, too. Then you could know their status at a glance.

Each time span (6, 11, 12 months) should be adjustable by then TO. Make it so I can select whether or not the actual “Marked Missing” happens.

Upon re-release, all the [Missing] references are automatically removed.

Constructive replies only, please. This is only about automating TB loss management, not about how or why they vanish nor about “getting over it”.

Edited by kunarion

I like the idea of an automated message after 6 months of no activity, but beyond that I feel it is up to the trackable owner to make the decision to mark as missing/re-release/etc. For cachers who have several trackables in play, this reminder email would be really helpful.

After that, I would do a little investigating, see if the trackable can't be nudged back on the road. If not, it gets marked missing and the copy tag goes in a little box on the shelf marked: To Be Resuscitated. I might even put a little piece of tape on the tag that gives it an expiry date a year from when I took it out of circulation.

I would love to see more trackable owners and cache owners take part in keeping inventories accurate, and I like the idea of automatically maring a trackable as missing after a year of no movement - however, I can see this being an issue if the trackable is placed in a remote or high difficulty cache. In that case, the emails would still be useful and the trackable owner can always "re-activate" a trackable by posting a note on its page that says "I'm still here. Waiting. Come find me. Any day now." :lol:

I like the idea of an automated message after 6 months of no activity, but beyond that I feel it is up to the trackable owner to make the decision to mark as missing/re-release/etc.

Yes. This is only for the TO, just a set of timers and events that can be selected, turned on or off for each TB, triggered by TB events, or after a certain length of time (reset automatically if a TB resurfaces). It should be up to the TO if or when anything happens.

Edited by kunarion

You want an automated to-do list to help you manage your 33 trackables?

Um, I have no constructive comments or suggestions. :ph34r:

Only 14 of them (actually 5, see below). The rest are in my posession already. :anicute:

It's not for managing the Trackables, it's for planning the re-release when they drop out of play. And there are currently only 5 candidates in my list. So they're already few enough to be manageable for me. This isn't just for me. It could be part of a plan to clean up a lot of cache Inventory lists.

Edited by kunarion

You want an automated to-do list to help you manage your 33 trackables?

Um, I have no constructive comments or suggestions. :ph34r:

Only 14 of them (actually 5, see below). The rest are in my posession already. :anicute:

It's not for managing the Trackables, it's for planning the re-release when they drop out of play. And there are currently only 5 candidates in my list. So they're already few enough to be manageable for me. This isn't just for me. It could be part of a plan to clean up a lot of cache Inventory lists.

I think it would be better if there were some way for people other than the trackable owner and the cache owner to mark a trackable as missing from a cache. That's been submitted for over 12 months with still no sign of when, or indeed whether, it's ever going to get done.

If part of that piece of work (assuming it ever gets done) were to send an automatic notification to the owner that their trackable has been marked as missing, then send another one in six months if the trackable hasn't mysteriously appeared, that could be useful so people know they can re-release the bugs if they so choose.

I think it would be better if there were some way for people other than the trackable owner and the cache owner to mark a trackable as missing from a cache. That's been submitted for over 12 months with still no sign of when, or indeed whether, it's ever going to get done.

12 Months?!! It's time to mark that idea Missing and let it go! :anibad:

This topic is more about helping TOs decide when to do what. If you've seen all the posts about "Someone's had my TB too long, what can I do?", this is more about what to do and why, which gives the TB a chance to return, in a timeline... less about Marking Things Missing.

I'd prefer the TOs mark it missing when they want to, if they want to, not automatically (this idea has selections and every step is optional). This Topic allows the TOs to retain full control. If I release a TB, it's not with the intention to mark it missing, I want it to travel. So I may never mark it missing. So be it. But if I do, and want to re-use the Tracking Number, this Topic provides a framework for managing events that may lead to Marking It Missing, but also gives it a couple of chances to resurface.

Edited by kunarion

Bad idea, since it took Groundspeak somewhere in the region of 12 months to go from submitting it for queueing to Jeremy saying there was no commitment to implement it and therefore a timeframe couldn't be given (that itself was several months back) scratching it and starting over would mean it would probably never see the light of day. Honestly, I've got more chance of seeing my missing travel bugs again than seeing this potentially useful upgrade ever get implemented.

This topic is more about helping TOs decide when to do what. If you've seen all the posts about "Someone's had my TB too long, what can I do?", this is more about what to do and why, which gives the TB a chance to return, in a timeline... less about Marking Things Missing.

Sure, but if it involves a single line of code being written behind the scenes the chances are it's not going to happen.

I'd prefer the TOs mark it missing when they want to, if they want to, not automatically (this idea has selections and every step is optional). This Topic allows the TOs to retain full control. If I release a TB, it's not with the intention to mark it missing, I want it to travel. So I may never mark it missing. So be it. But if I do, and want to re-use the Tracking Number, this Topic provides a framework for managing events that may lead to Marking It Missing, but also gives it a couple of chances to resurface.

In an ideal world TOs would do just that, but also in an ideal world TBs would never go missing. If they are marked as being in a cache and the cache is destroyed they get marked as missing automatically. If they are marked as being in a cache and a steady stream of users note that they are not in the cache it makes sense to automatically mark them as missing (or, technically, "in an unknown location") so they don't keep showing up on the cache inventory.

If a trackable is marked as missing and subsequently found anyone can grab it with the tracking code and return it to circulation. I've had that happen on one of mine - a cacher had the bug for a few weeks so I messaged him and he promised to move it on, then after a few months I messaged him again and he ignored my mail, so after a few more months I marked it as missing. A couple of months after that it seems he found my bug at the bottom of his bag, grabbed it to get it back in his inventory and moved it on.

If they are marked as being in a cache and a steady stream of users note that they are not in the cache it makes sense to automatically mark them as missing (or, technically, "in an unknown location") so they don't keep showing up on the cache inventory.

One guy steals it, another guy hides the evidence. That's known as "Geocaching". ;)

You did notice that the Topic (my idea) causes a Trackable to be marked missing when it is verified missing? ...at the latest, after 12 months? This time next year, all cache Inventories would be correct, assuming the constant theft has ceased, of course. It's still entirely optional, since the TO retains control as he should. It's his investment, therefore nobody else's business if it ever gets marked missing. Suppose a thief is selling TBs in on ebay, under the noses of Groundspeak (hypothetical, could that ever happen? :ph34r:). I may never release it to him, I'd leave it in its listed Inventory forever. The reason this idea likely could never be implemented is the reason people buy TBs -- there's no information at time of purchase that the TBs likely will soon be "lost", and this idea pretty much tips that hand.

Sure, it is "missing" when all those cachers note it. But if a TO doesn't want to let it go, I respect that. The lost TB serves as a warning while it's in the cache Inventory. Neither the Cache Owner nor the Trackable Owner caused the TB to disappear, yet they get all the grief if the Inventory list isn't kept clean on a prompt schedule set by others. And the irresponsible cachers who actually caused the problem, get a pass when "losing" the things. That's quite a racket. :rolleyes:

Edited by kunarion

... except it's very frustrating to look for a trackable in a cache only to find it isn't there, especially for novice cachers or cachers out with small children.

We don't allow a cache owner to insist that their cache remains listed indefinitely even though it's demonstrably gone missing so why should a trackable owner get that privilege when their trackable has demonstrably gone missing?

... except it's very frustrating to look for a trackable in a cache only to find it isn't there, especially for novice cachers or cachers out with small children.

True. Don't Keep The Trackables.

We don't allow a cache owner to insist that their cache remains listed indefinitely even though it's demonstrably gone missing so why should a trackable owner get that privilege when their trackable has demonstrably gone missing?

Upon many DNFs do others de-list someone's cache? That's the magic number to mark a TB "Missing".

Edited by kunarion

True. Don't Keep The Trackables.

This helps a lot when the trackable is listed in the inventory of a cache despite not being there.

Upon many DNFs do others de-list someone's cache? That's the magic number to mark a TB "Missing".

After many DNFs someone will log NM and ultimately NA if nothing is done, at which point a reviewer will take action. There is currently no parallel for trackables.

That page now has an accurate inventory, The Incredibles. Thanks for reporting it. :)

Thanks Keystone! You totally rock! :D

That is great! :D The only drawback is that Keystone has a heap of other work to do and can't solve every trackable inventory discrepancy by himself. Any chance that another level of volunteers - Trackable Guardians :lol: - could be enlisted to assist?

Oh! Oh! What if, under the log options for trackables, there was a "Missing" log? Currently, the only option to let a TO (and other cachers) know the trackable is missing is to write a Note. A "Missing" log could alert a Trackable Guardian the same way an NA log alerts a reviewer. The TG would then investigate the report and mark the trackable as missing if the situation met a certain set of criteria (mentioned as missing by at least two cachers, hasn't moved from the cache in 6 months despite regular traffic, etc). They would then send a message to the trackable owner explaining the action, how they can manage their trackables themselves and their options for reusing the number someday if necessary.

Of course, this would be a service that would really benefit everyone *but* the trackable owner (who should be keeping track of his/her travellers already).

Edited by 6NoisyHikers

Managing planned events with your TBs? I wouldn't wait around for Groundspeak, especially with a concept that sounds complicated. I'd just set a reminder in my Google Calendar 11 months from now that it's time to re-release the bug. When the time comes, it will send me an email.

It is simple enough to just change your trackable's name to keep track of when they go missing. My current system is to add (Missing?) after my trackables that may no longer be in the cache. It alerts cache finders to look and note if it is there. Occasionally, I just run through my trackables with (Missing?) to check cache logs. If it is gone, the trackable moves to location unknown and the name can be edited to (5 Missing), for example, to show it has been missing since May.

After one year, I switch the code to [AOOG] and/or use a new prename letter to group those trackables in one area on my list. Rarely do I rerelease, but the code makes it easy to know which trackables have been missing for over one year. Two days ago, one of my [AOOG] trackables pop back into action after 22 months without writing home. I just edited away my Assumed Out of Game code and posted a short cheer to the finding cacher.

I adopted, and adapted, this quick and easy system after reading a post by The Blorenges that included the great suggestion to edit and add a letter before any trackable name that was activated and in your collection. That way your collection trackables are grouped together.

It is simple enough to just change your trackable's name to keep track of when they go missing. My current system is to add (Missing?) after my trackables that may no longer be in the cache. It alerts cache finders to look and note if it is there. Occasionally, I just run through my trackables with (Missing?) to check cache logs. If it is gone, the trackable moves to location unknown and the name can be edited to (5 Missing), for example, to show it has been missing since May.

After one year, I switch the code to [AOOG] and/or use a new prename letter to group those trackables in one area on my list. Rarely do I rerelease, but the code makes it easy to know which trackables have been missing for over one year. Two days ago, one of my [AOOG] trackables pop back into action after 22 months without writing home. I just edited away my Assumed Out of Game code and posted a short cheer to the finding cacher.

This is good plan! The idea I presented is just a set of timers to automate things. It was getting quite complicated to perform some TB process manually (I also edit the TB page with additional info), because it tended to come back to life just before or even after the timer ran out.

Now that I only have a handful of Trackables currently dying out of the game, it's becoming a whole lot simpler to put them all to rest. <_<

I'm glad you post helped put the Topic back on track :D. This Topic is only about helping TOs manage the events before a Trackable is Marked Missing, while maximizing the opportunities for it to get back into play before then. It's not the usual plan to have everyone else Mark It Missing for the TO.

Edited by kunarion

Doomsayer here. Seems like the only formal response is a mod taking action from a cache reported here in the forums.

Oh, I can probably go back and list all the other caches I reported that were never fixed. (Barring Eartha)

Edited by BlueDeuce

I can see what you are requesting and there are some good ideas, however, I can also see the floors in this too.

I have had a read through and so far have not seen a mention of the TB rescue . There is also a way of someone holding on to a TZb to post it to an address anonymously if they so wish. I think this was mentioned on the UK Geocaching podcast show recently so you could contact them for more info.

You can buy proxy tags and coins to send out to replace missing TB / GC or to send out instead of your treasured ones. You can get these from gxproxy or N E Geocaching Supplies.

There is someone who will replace your TB tag for free , I think this is a new tag with your tracking code on it, if its been missing for at least 1 year, I think this was mentioned on the above show too.

The TB rescue service is something we can all sign up to and mark am area that we are happy to rescue a TB that is missing or laying in a cache somewhere.

You can also register your TBs as missing on here - preferably after a month, then it alerts those registered to the area it was last seen.

Here is the link: http://www.tb-rescue.com/

I apologise if I've mentioned companies if it is not permitted, I don't know if it is. I have mentioned the ones I know are able up help and relevant to this subject.

I am not connected or a part of these companies except as a customer.

I hope this is helpful to you [:)]

Doomsayer here. Seems like the only formal response is a mod taking action from a cache reported here in the forums.

I guess that was a large number of ghost Trackables cleaned up, so that's pretty cool. It's something. :anicute:

Gotta agree with ya there.

There is also the problem that you can not write a note on a TB / GC page without the tracking code.

If I don't find a TB in a cache that is listed, I email the TO and let them know then they can copies to leave it a few days, as someone at be in holiday and unable to log it, or contact recent visitors to ask if they have it.

I have a TB hotel and so far none have fine missing [:)]

Another example is we recently visited GC40 ond if the oldest caches.

I noticed after my log when I went to upload some photos, that someone logged that it was sad that most if the tbs in the inventory were not there.

We had not looked at the inventory before doing the cache.

I wrote a note on the cache page lusting which TBs we had discovered in the cache, which ones we retrieved and dropped in.

As a CO if someone did the sane on my cache. I would be happy to contact the owners and let them know, out of general curtosy that their TB was not in the cache as listed.

Then as I write above, it's their choice what they do then.

You can post a Note without the tracking number. If you can't, that's a broke.

I will try that, I hadn't tried posting it, because it requested the tracking number which I did not have. What's broke if you can't post a note on a TB page without the tracking code?

Thanks for your reply [:)]

I will try that, I hadn't tried posting it, because it requested the tracking number which I did not have. What's broke if you can't post a note on a TB page without the tracking code?

That blank space is shown, regardless of whether or not you need to type it. I usually attempt not typing it, and see if that works. :anicute:

I hope that's not an issue preventing many people from typing note logs.

A note log should be fine without a Tracking Number. If you wish to edit it later, and the boxes are grayed-out (in Internet Explorer), see if the browser's "Compatibility Mode" is on (a blue torn-page icon next to the refresh icon), and if so, turn it off.

Edited by kunarion

You should receive an email here in a bit. I'll delete the note. Nice bug by the way. :)

After many DNFs someone will log NM and ultimately NA if nothing is done, at which point a reviewer will take action. There is currently no parallel for trackables.

:)

7c1f203a-2828-47b6-bcf5-2f7877232956.jpg?rnd=0.1736551

Is that something people other than the trackable owner can do? I know people can mark their own trackables as missing - I'm interested in ways the community can specifically put a log against a trackable to say it's missing, the way we might log NM or NA against a cache.

This Topic is specifically about how Trackable Owners may manage life events of their own Trackables, when the Trackables have seemed to disappear. It's a schedule of events with timers. The idea allows the TOs to retain control of if or when it's Marked Missing. It's not the usual “how to let everybody else Mark It Missing”.

Since this Topic is not staying on track, Mods, please lock it. But keep the idea in mind. Thanks.

Edited by kunarion