Extremes

Markwell

I was just responding to a request for the Geocaching map of the world when I came across this cache. Wow. Anyone up for some frigid temps???

Can't see anyone getting to this one with regularity, and yet there's four watching it. icon_wink.gif

I looked on the other side of the world map, and it appears that this one is the southern-most cache. Can anyone confirm?

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

My rather useless world map shows no island in the area....

This would be a good addition to Dan Miller's stats page - Most North/South Physical/Virtual. Maybe some other extremes too.

Warning: Objects in GPS may be closer than they appear!

Okay, I figured it out...That one that I posted that I said was farther south: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=24915 is located in Germany. They meant to put *N* 49° 11.129 E 011° 59.370 not *S* 49° 11.129 E 011° 59.370. If they would have put North, the cache would have been in Germany. I think I will post a note on the cache page, so the owner knows. Yes, I do believe Markwell's is the farthest south (nonvirtual or virtual)

jhwf4

Phantom,

Don't feel too bad. I am also one of those people who loves snow and prays for an early winter, against the popular consensus. I have never been a summer fan unless it was a cool summer. Sweating and suffocation are not my cup of tea. hehehehe

I am looking forward to doing a variety of Geo-Caches and other Geo activities this fall and winter. What a great way to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather.

M-D-M Explorations

MrSki and DogMa

40º 07.874'N

88º 11.647'W

I'm not a winter person, and I really don't like the snow. However, this year, I would be more than happy if we were blizzard'd in. We need serious amounts of snow this year. It's been two years, I think, since we had any significant snow where I am.

But that relates to another question I was recently pondering. How do you cache in the snow? The landscapes are wildly different, and if there's any real snowfall, caches are sure to be buried.

----------

"Wan't" and "differen't" are not words.

I think there will be a lot of "impossible" winter caches here. Of course, as soon as you say something is impossible, someone proves you wrong. It won't be easy with 4 feet of snow and ice over it - then try to cover up that cache trail! Fall will be great though, the best season in my opinion.

Be interesting to know the highest/lowest caches too. That'd take some homework though. There are some listed near Death Valley, one of those may be lowest in US. Haven't checked to see if there are any near the Dead Sea...

There are two rules for success: 1) Never tell everything you know. 2)

quote:
Originally posted by dinoprophet:

Do people carry brooms in the winter to cover their tracks?

Snow is pretty darn hide to hide your tracks in since it compresses so much as soon as you walk on it. Even a broom sweep would show up. Maybe some stilts could be made with deer hoofs at the tips.

Not sure as I'd reccomend that during hunting season. icon_wink.gif

There are two rules for success: 1) Never tell everything you know. 2)

Last winter I put an "idiot" warning on my cache pages...

3419_2500.jpg

3419_2400.jpg

WARNING!!! Please be conscious of the fact that footprints in the snow will lead others directly to the cache (including non-cachers). Please don't hunt my caches after a fresh snowfall.

Last February, I went on a multistage hunt after a fresh snowfall in an extremely remote area, only to find a cacher's car parked at the same spot and his footprints freshly made. I followed them in and eventually caught up with him at the cache site.

On the flip side, we talked about Winter Caching in our Chicago Forum. One cacher had a unique take on it...

quote:
Another way to handle this would be to stomp all over a hollow log that's maybe twenty feet from the real cache. That's what I do.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I just started caching this summer, but when I got go my first cache in the snow I'll walk all around the area so I put foot prints in the snow all over, just to confuse future people. This way it'll just make it harder for them if they try to follow my "decoy" tracks icon_biggrin.gif

jhwf4

I've found that most people only cache in the summer, so caches in the area receive only a fraction of the traffic they usually do.

I like caching in the winter (no bugs, heat, overgrown brush), and have yet to run into other's footprints that are any more visible than those left in the mud.

Of course as our sport becomes more popular this may change!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Well if you keep a thread up long enough, eventually I'll see it. The most southern cache was

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=24853 (now archived)

Now it's http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10393 (virtual)

the most southern physical cache is at:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=431 which is in New Zealand.

The most northern cache is the one named above in this thread - As north as it gets.

Thus ends your local stats update icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by regoarrarr:

...the most southern physical cache is at:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=431 which is in New Zealand.

Thanks for your e-mail update.

In surprised that nobody has placed a more southern cache in the more than one and a half years (an eternity in geocaching terms) since I placed it.

Antartica and Argentena are two locations that are further south than mine.

Cheers,

Donovan.

Well there are 9 people watching it now... see what you started! =-)

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

I was just responding to a request for the Geocaching map of the world when I came across http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22531. Wow. Anyone up for some frigid temps???

Can't see anyone getting to this one with regularity, and yet there's four watching it. icon_wink.gif

**Try something 3 times before giving up on it! The 1st time may be bad weather, the 2nd may be dead GPS batteries, the 3rd you may spot that hiding spot!!**

Well, it was only a matter of time, but, there is a an even more southern physical cache than mine (i.e., than my Bluff Hill cache). As of a few days ago, the first cache had been placed in Antartica, Transantarctic's Ross Island cache (see http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=41554). In the end, I held the record for over 1 year and 10 months, not bad in geocaching terms. icon_wink.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.