Ebay buyer beware and if you have some missing...

4B Ohana

Aloha,

I have been watching some listings on Ebay since I found a person selling an "activated" travel bug that s/he did not own. I think this is very appalling that people would steal trackables and coins and list them for sale on Ebay. Here's an example of ones that I have already contacted that responded to my query that they are not the original owner, they do not know how to activate coins or if the coins listed are currently activated and that they do not know the process of adoption. I have responded that if they are not familiar with the coins that they need to read up on them and gave them the link as they could be perceived as stealing coins and they should look up the ones that they have by tracking number to make sure of their status, but please be aware that this practice is going on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Geocoins-for-Geochaching-7-coins-/190832703353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6e83f779

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Geocoins-for-Geochaching-7-coins-/190832703353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6e83f779

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Geocoins-5-coins-Chace-Police-Badges-/190832707617?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6e840821

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Geocoins-VERY-UNIQUE-Geocoins-/190832711026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6e841572

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Challenge-Coins-and-Colletable-Coins-9-coins-total-/190832720154?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6e84391a

Due to the stuff I have seen on trackables being lost, if you buy on Ebay, make sure that the item is clearly listed as being unactivated or activated AND adoptable before bidding or buying.

Hope this helps!

Aloha,

I have been watching some listings on Ebay since I found a person selling an "activated" travel bug that s/he did not own. I think this is very appalling that people would steal trackables and coins and list them for sale on Ebay. Here's an example of ones that I have already contacted that responded to my query that they are not the original owner, they do not know how to activate coins or if the coins listed are currently activated and that they do not know the process of adoption. I have responded that if they are not familiar with the coins that they need to read up on them and gave them the link as they could be perceived as stealing coins and they should look up the ones that they have by tracking number to make sure of their status, but please be aware that this practice is going on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Geocoins-5-coins-Chace-Police-Badges-/190832707617?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6e840821

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Geocoins-VERY-UNIQUE-Geocoins-/190832711026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6e841572

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Challenge-Coins-and-Colletable-Coins-9-coins-total-/190832720154?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6e84391a

Due to the stuff I have seen on trackables being lost, if you buy on Ebay, make sure that the item is clearly listed as being unactivated or activated AND adoptable before bidding or buying.

Hope this helps!

What evidence do you have that this person is selling coins that do not belong to them? Do you have the tracking numbers?

That dealer seems to have a pretty good track record on ebay. These may be geocoins bought in an estate sale or a relative that passed away that was a cacher and they have no idea what to do with these. Being curious, we sent a question to see what they have to say. Someone is bidding!

What evidence do you have that this person is selling coins that do not belong to them? Do you have the tracking numbers?

As I stated...buyer beware...ane that without putting down the full facts of the coins on the auction it coukd be percieved as stealing. In the case of the travel bug I found the tracking number was on it and I contacted the owner and it HAD been stolen.

In addition, I wrote and asked if the coins were activated and if so if they were adoptable and the response was that he didn't know, wasn't the original owner and didn't know how to adopt them. I then responded that he should check out the website, gave him links to understand and look up the coins by trackable numbers to assure that they were properly available. The response back to me was ...do me a favor and don't bid on them.

If they were gotten at an auction house or estate. Be responsible and understand the property you are selling. I gave him all the info to take responsibility for his auction. If he chooses to ignore it, that's fine. If someone chooses to bid, they do so at their own risk. I an merely stating that auctions like this are misleading and could be considered stolen.

That dealer seems to have a pretty good track record on ebay. These may be geocoins bought in an estate sale or a relative that passed away that was a cacher and they have no idea what to do with these. Being curious, we sent a question to see what they have to say. Someone is bidding!

Just to note...much of that person's track record is of buying not selling items.

Must be something in the air this week. There was another seller who "found" a geocoin attached to a stuffed animal named "Sporty the Fox's FTF Geocoin" and placed it on ebay for sale the very same day. In his auction he referenced the travel bug # ,TB4BRMN, and after looking it up it was apparent that he was selling something that was not his, and what was even worse it belonged to a 4 year old. I emailed him questioning the ownership of the item and explained that it's not okay to sell geocoins you find in caches, they belong to the person who paid for them and placed them out to travel. He did not respond to my email. I contacted the owner and he didn't know anything about the ebay auction nor did he give authorization for it to be sold. He also contacted the seller and ebay but hasn't heard from either of them.

Not sure if I had a bee in my bonnet or what this week but I ended up purchasing "Sporty" and received him in the mail today, (at least the seller has prompt shipping going for him), and will be placing in a cache for the little boy to be able to continue to enjoy watching his geocoin travel. So in keeping with this topic, you do have to watch and be careful of what you buy because there are people who think nothing of selling what doesn't belong to them.

Edited by BVnLJ

just got an answer..

"I do not know if they are activated. I have them, I am selling them, you want them, you bid."

Pretty nasty response if you ask me...

I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole....!

I contacted him too about one set that I "could" be interested in and here is his response

"I do not believe these are activated, I did not activate them, someone else may have but I don't think so. I do not know anything about adoption."

I gave him the link to check out the tracking numbers and asked him to get back with me once he verified if they were activated or not also saying it made a difference in how much I bid on them. From reading the above I doubt I will get any reply to that.

There is a report link on the bottom of the auctions. I am going to report the group I asked him about and I think that if several of us do so maybe it will lead ebay to investigate sooner. These are the specific ones I asked about. If I can see any tracking numbers I will also report those if they are activated

Edited by LadyBee4T

Must be something in the air this week. There was another seller who "found" a geocoin attached to a stuffed animal named "Sporty the Fox's FTF Geocoin" and placed it on ebay for sale the very same day. In his auction he referenced the travel bug # ,TB4BRMN, and after looking it up it was apparent that he was selling something that was not his, and what was even worse it belonged to a 4 year old. I emailed him questioning the ownership of the item and explained that it's not okay to sell geocoins you find in caches, they belong to the person who paid for them and placed them out to travel. He did not respond to my email. I contacted the owner and he didn't know anything about the ebay auction nor did he give authorization for it to be sold. He also contacted the seller and ebay but hasn't heard from either of them.

Not sure if I had a bee in my bonnet or what this week but I ended up purchasing "Sporty" and received him in the mail today, (at least the seller has prompt shipping going for him), and will be placing in a cache for the little boy to be able to continue to enjoy watching his geocoin travel. So in keeping with this topic, you do have to watch and be careful of what you buy because there are people who think nothing of selling what doesn't belong to them.

That was very nice of you! I'm sure that kid appreciated it.

Even though you have already put it back in the field I still think that you should contact ebay and explain the situation to them. Don't email--call them on the phone. You shouldn't be out your hard earned money because of that jerk.

You were the one who bought Sporty! Great gesture! That was the TB I was referencing above that I also contacted the owner telling him that Sporty was being sold on Ebay. I tried to report the auction, but Ebay was not letting me since I was not law enforcement nor the owner of the item being sold. I commend you though for buying Sporty and putting him back out for the 4 year old who owns him. I just hope that the more this is reported people will begin to get it that true cachers will not tolerate stolen property.

just got an answer..

"I do not know if they are activated. I have them, I am selling them, you want them, you bid."

Pretty nasty response if you ask me...

I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole....!

This was mine after I gave him the information that he needed to check the tracking numbers and the website references to policy and procedures as well as adoption...

"Do me a favor DO NOT BID!"

It is obvious that with at least this many people contacting him about it and with his replies that he does not care if he is selling something that is not his. It doesn't matter if he got it at an auction or estate. If the collection was from an estate, then he should at least follow the procedure to claim ownership of the items before selling but the seller doesn't want to take responsibility for his actions.

I wish I had the time and money to bid on all of those auctions to force him to sell them to me so that I can report him. Its a shame, but the particular auction that I wrote him about is now up to $60!

That was very nice of you! I'm sure that kid appreciated it.

Even though you have already put it back in the field I still think that you should contact ebay and explain the situation to them. Don't email--call them on the phone. You shouldn't be out your hard earned money because of that jerk.

I agree, if you can try to get somewhere with Ebay about it.

I tried to report the auction, but Ebay was not letting me since I was not law enforcement nor the owner of the item being sold. I commend you though for buying Sporty and putting him back out for the 4 year old who owns him. I just hope that the more this is reported people will begin to get it that true cachers will not tolerate stolen property.

If you list it as Stolen Property then that will come up as only law enforcement. BUT if you choose

Reason For Report = Fraudulent Listing Activities Then the the next drop down pick

Detailed Reason = You suspect that a listing is fraudulent (then it will also show "The listing has items being sold without the owner's authorization. You didn't bid.")

After the above you can submit the report.

I got another email from him asking what was my question so of course I told him I wanted to know if they were activated or not--yes or no. I just got back his reply. "No DO NOT BID"

I think he knows that they aren't his to sell. I told him I wasn't going to bid but would spread the word that he is selling something that isn't his to sell. If I feel in the "right" mood I might actually bid with my other account and see what is going on.

If you list it as Stolen Property then that will come up as only law enforcement. BUT if you choose

Reason For Report = Fraudulent Listing Activities Then the the next drop down pick

Detailed Reason = You suspect that a listing is fraudulent (then it will also show "The listing has items being sold without the owner's authorization. You didn't bid.")

After the above you can submit the report.

thank you for this...I couldn't find the right one to report it from. I did this on all 5 of the auctions. It might not go anywhere, but I feel better about reporting this guy.

i guess i'm just more loveable than the rest of you...got this reply from the seller today, concerning one group of the coins...

Dear drneal,

One is activated, five are not

if the one activated is in his ownership and can be adopted over, no problem; otherwise i would assume the winning bidder should contact VERO@ebay.com.

ILYK

i guess i'm just more loveable than the rest of you...got this reply from the seller today, concerning one group of the coins...

Dear drneal,

One is activated, five are not

if the one activated is in his ownership and can be adopted over, no problem; otherwise i would assume the winning bidder should contact VERO@ebay.com.

ILYK

Well at least someone got some answers...

This one went for $187 scary...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Geocoins-VERY-UNIQUE-Geocoins-/190832711026?