how to i get openstreetmap to my gps

MOBAC should be able to handle that task nicely. You will probably also need to run it thru RMP Creator to "fix" the map (aka sync the map correctly with the coordinates).

I don't have a Garmin unit, I've got a Magellan but it should be essentially the same I'd venture to guess. I really don't know for sure as to how a Garmin would handle a raster image map but that's probably what it would be. Seems like I read somewhere that Garmin has a bit of a "challenge" handling large raster maps but I could be wrong.

Just google MOBAC and download that, then you can check YouTube for a short and dirty tutorial on how to use it. You MIGHT have to search around for an older version of MOBAC, say 1.8.1, in order to get map sources for OpenStreetMap I can't remember off the top of my head (been several months since I used mine).

The "mapsource" version is for installing on the computer (and then transfer to the gps)

The img version can be copied in the Garmin folder of the gps or SD.

If you only install the map on the gps you can use the map in Basecamp when you connect the gps to the computer.