Groundspeak Newsletter

Alphadog

I hope this is the right place to report a bug with the Groundspeak newsletter. I received mine yesterday, and all the content was incorrect. There were very few new caches listed, and those that were all said they were between 0.0 and 0.2 miles from my location, which they were not! There were also very few events and megas listed, and both lists had the same distance problems. I checked with other GC.com members on Facebook, and they all had the same problems. I am located in Connecticut; the others I spoke with are located in New York.

The distance issue is one that was caught and corrected for later recipients of the mailer. That should be working properly for you in next week's mailer.

Overall, the number of events and caches in the mailer has been reduced to make the email smaller and more pertinent to the recipient.

The number of events may have been reduced, but mine is only showing CITO events! Apparently my Closest event on Saturday is 150 miles away when there is one (that does not appear on the list) 4.9 miles away and another 27.1 miles away!

Also the mega event list does not seem to be sorted in any way at all, it starts with August (7th then 3rd) then goes to July, June then back to August!

The number of events may have been reduced, but mine is only showing CITO events! Apparently my Closest event on Saturday is 150 miles away when there is one (that does not appear on the list) 4.9 miles away and another 27.1 miles away!

Also the mega event list does not seem to be sorted in any way at all, it starts with August (7th then 3rd) then goes to July, June then back to August!

The mega events in my newsletter are sorted by distance, except that the list is headed by the 2013 Geocaching Block Party despite that being very far off. I suppose this has to do with this being its own cache type.

The mega events in my newsletter are sorted by distance, except that the list is headed by the 2013 Geocaching Block Party despite that being very far off. I suppose this has to do with this being its own cache type.

Ah that kind of makes sense, although not immediately obvious!

Edited by Sir-Lancelot

We are aware of the issue of "normal" events failing to get incorporated into the list of upcoming events. I have escalated this issue to engineering.

For those who indicate that you are now being shown as having no home coordinates set even though the mailer worked properly before, this is because you actually have only an address in the system, not explicit coordinates. The previous mailer relied on geocoding your address on the fly in these instances, while this functionality was accidentally omitted from the new mailer. We will be working to address this in upcoming weeks. In the meantime, a work-around is to visit http://www.geocaching.com/account/ManageLocations.aspx, enter coordinates or drag the little person icon to a new spot (even though coordinates are shown, they are actually being geocoded from your address if you haven't already gone through this process), and then save the changes.

We apologize for the inconvenience!

Events are date specific so I think it makes the most sense to list the mega events and events by date like they were before (in chronological order). The new caches should be listed by distance. And, it would be nice if we could set our own distance limits.

Why is it that when I select a page it no longer has the header with drop down menus and now it shows a long list? Not sure when this started or why. I'm really hoping this will be corrected.

Hi,

The distance issue is one that was caught and corrected for later recipients of the mailer. That should be working properly for you in next week's mailer.

Overall, the number of events and caches in the mailer has been reduced to make the email smaller and more pertinent to the recipient.

No nothing changed in the newsletter of this week. The distance for new caches is only 20km and also only CITO-Events are shown.

Regards

ColleIsarco

Interesting ... the newsletter just showed up (Saturday). Time stamp shows it was 'sent' on May 05/07/13 1:43 PM. Perhaps the mail server just got over a bad case of constipation?

What's odd (again) is that this issue contained a lot of 'expired' events in the 'geocaches' section.

Edited by ecanderson

Interesting ... the newsletter just showed up (Saturday). Time stamp shows it was 'sent' on May 05/07/13 1:43 PM. Perhaps the mail server just got over a bad case of constipation?

What's odd (again) is that this issue contained a lot of 'expired' events in the 'geocaches' section.

Well at least you got one. Last one I got was the 5/1 edition. But sounds like I did not miss much.

So, Groundspeak made a site update at 5/14/2013 and updated the weekly mailer.

This morning, the weekly mailer arrived showing only events dated on May, 15th. Other events were not listed.

The list of recently published caches has also been cutted of. Only a few caches within about 35km around the home coords were listed.

See here:

Upcoming Events...

dritter Haarer Dämmerschoppen 15 May 2013

204.36 km S - Bayern - Germany

Maaaaahlzeit! #7 15 May 2013

307.76 km NE - Berlin - Germany

MPS Möhringen/Vaihingen/Filder 05/13 15 May 2013

224.25 km SW - Baden-Württemberg - Germany

CITO per partes 15 May 2013

202.16 km E - Hlavni mesto Praha - Czech Republic

Stammtisch - PAF und Drumrum - Mai 15 May 2013

156.64 km S - Bayern - Germany

Den kurete vindaloo 2013 15 May 2013

204.76 km E - Hlavni mesto Praha - Czech Republic

Mainzer GC Stammtisch #5 - Mai 2013 15 May 2013

233.62 km W - Rheinland-Pfalz - Germany

24. Churfranken Käscherstammtisch 15 May 2013

173.68 km W - Bayern - Germany

1. Griechischer Abend in Bellheim 15 May 2013

251.14 km W - Rheinland-Pfalz - Germany

38. Wiesbadener Geocaching Stammtisch 15 May 2013

238.16 km W - Hessen - Germany

Recent Geocaches...

Blick auf Lankendorf (Traditional Cache) 12 May 2013

by canis.tracy 8.95 km E

Alte Weide (Traditional Cache) 10 May 2013

by magnet1 24.3 km E

Cache'n'Therapy 6: Gallus (Traditional Cache) 11 May 2013

by Team Peilnase 30.24 km SW

Cache'n'Therapy 5: Avis (Traditional Cache) 11 May 2013

by Team Peilnase 30.4 km SW

Cache'n'Therapy 9: Canis lupus (Traditional Cache) 11 May 2013

by Team Peilnase 30.51 km SW

Cache'n'Therapy 7: Erinaceus europaeus (Traditional Cache) 11 May 2013

by Team Peilnase 30.62 km SW

Cache'n'Therapy 4: Crocodylus niloticus (Traditional Cache) 11 May 2013

by Team Peilnase 30.76 km SW

Cache'n'Therapy 8: Lepus europaeus (Traditional Cache) 11 May 2013

by Team Peilnase 30.77 km SW

Cache'n'Therapy 10: Noctua noctuae (Traditional Cache) 11 May 2013

by Team Peilnase 30.82 km SW

The Rolling Stone (Traditional Cache) 12 May 2013

by charlyderboss 31.01 km SE

Cache'n'Therapy 11: Avis (Traditional Cache) 11 May 2013

by Team Peilnase 31.01 km SW

Cache'n'Therapy Bonus: Sciurus vulgaris (Unknown Cache) 11 May 2013

by Team Peilnase 31.02 km SW

Cache'n'Therapy 3: Lacerta (Traditional Cache) 11 May 2013

by Team Peilnase 31.03 km SW

Cache'n'Therapy 12: Gryllus (Traditional Cache) 11 May 2013

by Team Peilnase 31.25 km SW

Cache'n'Therapy 2: Musca (Traditional Cache) 11 May 2013

by Team Peilnase 31.26 km SW

Cache'n'Therapy 1: Rana (Traditional Cache) 11 May 2013

by Team Peilnase 31.43 km SW

M&S 6 (Traditional Cache) 09 May 2013

by Michl + SteffiS 31.77 km SW

M&S 2 (Traditional Cache) 09 May 2013

by Michl + SteffiS 32.08 km SW

M&S 3 (Traditional Cache) 09 May 2013

by Michl + SteffiS 32.16 km SW

M&S 1 (Traditional Cache) 09 May 2013

by Michl + SteffiS 32.19 km SW

Hi,

So, Groundspeak made a site update at 5/14/2013 and updated the weekly mailer.

This morning, the weekly mailer arrived showing only events dated on May, 15th. Other events were not listed.

The list of recently published caches has also been cutted of. Only a few caches within about 35km around the home coords were listed.

Once again: nothing changed. Perhaps the update and the generating of my newletters has overlapped. But from My experience I have no hope that something will be changed. To often didn't Groundspeak keep their promises.

Regards

ColleIsarco

Once again: nothing changed.

You're saying you once again only see CITOs in the event list? It should now be showing the next 10 events of any type in your area. At least, that's what I'm seeing.

Also, the new cache list will only show the closest 20 caches that were placed in the past week. If you have a lot of caches being published in your area, it could hit that 20 limit before getting very far from home.

Do you see a "See All Upcoming Mega-Events" link below the list of Megas? If so, you're getting the latest version of the mailer.