How do I delete a cache from my gps?

Sheep Dip

How do I delete some caches from my handheld. The model is an eTrex 20

If they are loaded as individual caches, you hook the GPS to your computer and using explorer you navigate to the GPX folder on the gps and delete them, just as you would a file on your computer.

If they are loaded as part of a larger GPX file, such as a pocket query, then you delete the whole file. However, this will also delete any unfound caches that were in the file as well.

I use an eTrex 20 also. You cannot deleted GCs from the device itself.

The bestest thing to do is to install the BaseCamp program from Garmen, which is free (to Garmin owners?).

• Plugin your eTrex 20 to a USB socket on the PC. It may take a few minutes for the PC to recognize the device and install it. Nice thing is that it installs just like any removable drive and does not require other special device drivers.
  • Run BaseCamp. The first time you use it, you may have to answer some questions.
  • Wait a little while until BaseCamp recognizes that you have the eTrex 20 plugged in. It will give you a line on the upper left for that device.
  • Click on that device's Internal Storage folder (or if you've added in a Micro-SD, you can click on that folder).
  • Stuff on the device now shows in the lower left window. The interface is very user friendly.
  • Use the Help option to learn about BaseCamp. There are even video tutorials.

You can make local folders and lists of things (GCs, waypoints, tracks, etc.) on your PC and slide things back and forth between the device and the local folders, which are kept in a database.

One odd thing that I hadn't counted on is that, if you use the eTrex 20 to register that you found a GC which you have on both the device and a local list, when you plug in the eTrex 20 and run BaseCamp, it will automatically "notice" that you found the GC (from the device) and will update the icon in your local list.