Lame logs

Wow never would think this would be a problem. We usually post just TFTF or TFTC if there is an actual cache with trade items (far a few between) we will put what we dropped off and what we took. Most of the caches we find are not that special IMO. If there seems to be a problem with the cache we will mention it. If there is something we find memorable we will post it.

Not to be rude but if you get upset because someone did not post about the weather or the time of day get a facebook account or some friends. To me it just seems odd to be so hung up over what others post.

You threw me off with the 2006 join date, but your first 10 or so finds were in 2008, and then nothing until "the smartphone era". Before the smartphone era, people whose entire log consisted of "Tfth" was about as common as an ammo box in the Wal-Mart parking lot. :o

You've also hidden no caches of your own, which is the case with the overwhelming majority of Tfth loggers, as someone pointed out. It might sound rude, but it's just a fact.

Sorry it was a shock to you, but do you ever look at these cache pages? Even today, the vast majority of logs are not "Tfth". Why do you do it, when most people still don't?

Wow never would think this would be a problem. We usually post just TFTF or TFTC if there is an actual cache with trade items (far a few between) we will put what we dropped off and what we took. Most of the caches we find are not that special IMO. If there seems to be a problem with the cache we will mention it. If there is something we find memorable we will post it.

Not to be rude but if you get upset because someone did not post about the weather or the time of day get a facebook account or some friends. To me it just seems odd to be so hung up over what others post.

If someone wants to create a cache, they can shove a wad of paper in a plastic baggie and stuff it in a bush that has no other redeemable qualities other than there isn't another cache within 528'. However, some cache owner do more than that. Some do a *lot* more to create a cache that is creative, unique, and memorable. Is it too much to ask for finders to recognize when a cache ownere has gone above and beyond sticking a film can in a lamp post by posting a complete sentence? If you're (the general you) going to treat every cache as just another notch on the "Total Finds" bedpost, what motivation does a cache owner have to put any any creative effort into placing other caches?

When we get a notification email with "TFTC" in it, I shrug and drop it in the trash folder.

When we get an email with a story in it, I go to the website, see if there are pictures included, maybe even check the profile of the person who logged it because this is someone who obviously enjoys caching and maybe has a few great caches of their own that we could find.

The ones that bother both of us are the copy/paste, "out with xyz cacher" logs.

To give a different perspective on why someone would do this: I actually maintain 3 accounts on here. This one for myself and two for my occasional caching partners: my mom and boyfriend. When we come back from caching, I log my finds first and try to write something tailored to each cache experience, but then I have to log the same caches again for someone else. I run out of things to say. Occasionally I'll add something my mom or boyfriend said about the cache ("This is my favorite one we found today!" or "That's a cool container."). But sometimes, I just have nothing to add from their perspective other than "found this with GraceThalia".

Id have to agree, I mean I may only have one cache hidden, but when I read the logs I want them to be descriptive and all around enjoyable to read! Taking the time to write out your logs makes the CO feel that you appreciated your cache, at least more than if you would have just typed "TFTC!" or another equivalent.

To give a different perspective on why someone would do this: I actually maintain 3 accounts on here. This one for myself and two for my occasional caching partners: my mom and boyfriend. When we come back from caching, I log my finds first and try to write something tailored to each cache experience, but then I have to log the same caches again for someone else. I run out of things to say. Occasionally I'll add something my mom or boyfriend said about the cache ("This is my favorite one we found today!" or "That's a cool container."). But sometimes, I just have nothing to add from their perspective other than "found this with GraceThalia".

Grace,

I do this with my 6 yr old son's account. I like to write long logs and I write the logs for my son. I usually write our logs to tell a story as if we were both together telling the story to someone. I write his logs from a kids perspective and try to take his mood or something he said during the trip and use it to form a log. So if I wrote in my log "The path to GZ was really muddy so I had to pick up my son to get him to the cache without him getting stuck in the mud" I might then write for him "Dad carried me to the cache. I really wanted to walk through the mud. It would have been more fun. Dad said he didn't want me to get muddy. Party pooper daddy" I haven't involved him with writing the logs yet but occassionally read what I wrote for him. He usually gets a kick out of it. I always enjoy going back and reading the logs on the caches we found together. Since the logs are usually pretty descriptive I am able to remember the experience and have a good laugh all over again. When he gets old enough to log his own caches I hope he enjoys looking back at "his" logs.

I have a handful of what I consider really good caches and always look forward to people finding them in hopes of a good log. I am definately dissappointed when I get the "TFTC" or completely blank log. I often have a hard time finding something to say about lame caches but I never leave TFTC logs.

The ones that bother both of us are the copy/paste, "out with xyz cacher" logs.

You are logging finds for both your mom and boyfriend? Why not just stop? I mean if they're adults and they want to log their finds, they know how.

Not to be rude or anything, but you have 0 hides. I think if you took the time to place and maintain a good quality cache, you'd understand.

I have 51 hides. If everybody just wrote TFTC on my caches, I wouldn't bother hiding anymore, in fact, I would archive them all.

You are logging finds for both your mom and boyfriend? Why not just stop? I mean if they're adults and they want to log their finds, they know how.

I do it because I like it. :-)

They're adults (60 and 32, respectively) but not into it all that much. They go to spend quality time with me and to be active. Their profiles are just to keep records straight without maintaining a paper count. Although my boyfriend has started asking me how many smileys he has when we get home after finding a bunch. ;-) I think he's taken more of an interest since seeing some numbers.

When he gets old enough to log his own caches I hope he enjoys looking back at "his" logs.

I have a handful of what I consider really good caches and always look forward to people finding them in hopes of a good log. I am definately dissappointed when I get the "TFTC" or completely blank log. I often have a hard time finding something to say about lame caches but I never leave TFTC logs.

You're an awesome Mom! I wish geocaching was around when I was younger. Your son will really appreciate what you've done for him.

At the very least, if I can think of nothing else when logging my finds, I will leave info about the current condition of the cache and paper log. Sometimes that can be the most interesting kind of log for a CO! ;-)

Do you think you might be trivialising the enjoyment CO's get from logs on their caches because you are yet to invest time and effort in hiding any?

No. I do not feel this is the case. I do log a good post if it is interesting. IMO the true problem lies with the standard blah hides that take no more time or effort than someone throwing a pill bottle into the woods. There are just too many of these. On the other side this makes the special ones that much more special.

If it is that important send the poster a message asking them if they enjoyed the find or not. you may get a new friend out of it.

Edited by TeamMadHatter

When he gets old enough to log his own caches I hope he enjoys looking back at "his" logs.

You're an awesome Mom! I wish geocaching was around when I was younger. Your son will really appreciate what you've done for him.

At the very least, if I can think of nothing else when logging my finds, I will leave info about the current condition of the cache and paper log. Sometimes that can be the most interesting kind of log for a CO! ;-)

I think that may be an awesome dad you're talking to, lol, just based on the post...but I totally agree, I wish this had been around when I was a kid. I'd have LOVED it. I DO love it...guess I haven't changed too much.

Do you think you might be trivialising the enjoyment CO's get from logs on their caches because you are yet to invest time and effort in hiding any?

No. I do not feel this is the case. I do log a good post if it is interesting. IMO the true problem lies with the standard blah hides that take no more time or effort than someone throwing a pill bottle into the woods. There are just too many of these. On the other side this makes the special ones that much more special.

If it is that important send the poster a message asking them if they enjoyed the find or not. you may get a new friend out of it.

Even if it seems like a blah hide, I'm pretty sure it takes more time and effort than that...just to get the cache approved and published. I don't know what exactly goes into having to hide a cache, because I have not hidden any myself. But even if a cache isn't the best, I think hiders deserve kudos for the effort. Because without hiders, there would be nothing for us to find!

I don't know how you find the caches you go hunting for, if you just find them on the fly while you're out, but maybe you should try looking them up at home and finding good quality caches that you would like to find, and adding them to your watchlist. The first time we went geocaching, I just used the app to find one nearby. It was a pretty sneaky hide, but it didn't really require much hiking or take me any place special. So I started looking them up online first, and reading other people's comments, and looking at how many favorite points the cache has. This has led me to some awesome quality caches, great hikes through places I've never been, tricky hides, etc.

This is just a suggestion, maybe you already do this and your area is just full of "the standard blah hides." But I'm sure there are some good ones out there, and I'm sure you'll find them eventually :)

I think that may be an awesome dad you're talking to, lol, just based on the post...but I totally agree, I wish this had been around when I was a kid. I'd have LOVED it. I DO love it...guess I haven't changed too much.

Even if it seems like a blah hide, I'm pretty sure it takes more time and effort than that...just to get the cache approved and published. I don't know what exactly goes into having to hide a cache, because I have not hidden any myself. But even if a cache isn't the best, I think hiders deserve kudos for the effort. Because without hiders, there would be nothing for us to find!

I don't know how you find the caches you go hunting for, if you just find them on the fly while you're out, but maybe you should try looking them up at home and finding good quality caches that you would like to find, and adding them to your watchlist. The first time we went geocaching, I just used the app to find one nearby. It was a pretty sneaky hide, but it didn't really require much hiking or take me any place special. So I started looking them up online first, and reading other people's comments, and looking at how many favorite points the cache has. This has led me to some awesome quality caches, great hikes through places I've never been, tricky hides, etc.

This is just a suggestion, maybe you already do this and your area is just full of "the standard blah hides." But I'm sure there are some good ones out there, and I'm sure you'll find them eventually :)

At the start it was a GPS and paper. so it was all planned out (as some of the posters felt it necessary to do the research we actually started in 2005 and combined our accounts hence missing finds and what not.) We now do both research for the ones we feel are interesting to us and we whip out the phone when out and about. There are a good amount in our area that are good and we do post more than a TFTF. Looking into placing a cache I do understand there are a few steps to take. An email to the local reviewer does not seem daunting to me. (Maybe it is different in other areas.)

I agree without the hiders there would be nothing to find but to then complain about not getting more than a TFTF in your 51 caches hidden in a park with no back story or anything else interesting other than "it is nice here", is just silly to me.

We pick days to go out caching we try to pick areas that have a large number of caches due to the fact that we do not want to waste gas driving from cache location to cache location. So in the area there may be a few that to us warrant a good log posting but the others that are literately a micro placed in a tree, in a parking lot, to me warrant a TFTF as it seems to me that is its purpose. There are no items to swap, no back story, no interesting containers.

We have not hidden anything due to having to upkeep the cache. (most caches in our area are not kept up unless someone posts there is a problem. even then it takes weeks.) We do not have time for that. I also feel that one does not need to hide a cache in order have an opinion on the cache.

Edited by TeamMadHatter

Grace,

I do this with my 6 yr old son's account. I like to write long logs and I write the logs for my son. I usually write our logs to tell a story as if we were both together telling the story to someone. I write his logs from a kids perspective and try to take his mood or something he said during the trip and use it to form a log. So if I wrote in my log "The path to GZ was really muddy so I had to pick up my son to get him to the cache without him getting stuck in the mud" I might then write for him "Dad carried me to the cache. I really wanted to walk through the mud. It would have been more fun. Dad said he didn't want me to get muddy. Party pooper daddy" I haven't involved him with writing the logs yet but occassionally read what I wrote for him. He usually gets a kick out of it. I always enjoy going back and reading the logs on the caches we found together. Since the logs are usually pretty descriptive I am able to remember the experience and have a good laugh all over again. When he gets old enough to log his own caches I hope he enjoys looking back at "his" logs.

How old is your kid? I hadn't thought about doing a account for my son. He loves looking for treasure, and puddles, in the woods.

At the start it was a GPS and paper. so it was all planned out (as some of the posters felt it necessary to do the research we actually started in 2005 and combined our accounts hence missing finds and what not.) We now do both research for the ones we feel are interesting to us and we whip out the phone when out and about. There are a good amount in our area that are good and we do post more than a TFTF. Looking into placing a cache I do understand there are a few steps to take. An email to the local reviewer does not seem daunting to me. (Maybe it is different in other areas.)

I agree without the hiders there would be nothing to find but to then complain about not getting more than a TFTF in your 51 caches hidden in a park with no back story or anything else interesting other than "it is nice here", is just silly to me.

We pick days to go out caching we try to pick areas that have a large number of caches due to the fact that we do not want to waste gas driving from cache location to cache location. So in the area there may be a few that to us warrant a good log posting but the others that are literately a micro placed in a tree, in a parking lot, to me warrant a TFTF as it seems to me that is its purpose. There are no items to swap, no back story, no interesting containers.

We have not hidden anything due to having to upkeep the cache. (most caches in our area are not kept up unless someone posts there is a problem. even then it takes weeks.) We do not have time for that. I also feel that one does not need to hide a cache in order have an opinion on the cache.

I wish the other half of my "we" would help research interesting caches! He just leaves that to me and asks where we're going. He says I'm better at it...which we all know is code for "I don't wanna do it".

I've found some good micros, but I usually like to try for larger sizes. I think it's harder to hide a bigger container (well), and I like to see what people leave for trade. And I like the places they take me. A lot of the micros I've found were just on a street corner, with nothing special around. Although there is one series that takes you to Moontowers that I enjoyed....maybe I'll get more into micros as I get more experience and more into my numbers, but for now, I like the caches that take me on a hike over the hills and through the woods.

I think it's better to not hide anything than to hide a cache and have it eventually become litter because you don't have the time for the upkeep. I am amazed at the amount of time and effort some of my local cachers put into maintaining their caches (I'm talking about you Indigo Parrish, should you ever read this lol).

I wish the other half of my "we" would help research interesting caches! He just leaves that to me and asks where we're going. He says I'm better at it...which we all know is code for "I don't wanna do it".

I've found some good micros, but I usually like to try for larger sizes. I think it's harder to hide a bigger container (well), and I like to see what people leave for trade. And I like the places they take me. A lot of the micros I've found were just on a street corner, with nothing special around. Although there is one series that takes you to Moontowers that I enjoyed....maybe I'll get more into micros as I get more experience and more into my numbers, but for now, I like the caches that take me on a hike over the hills and through the woods.

I think it's better to not hide anything than to hide a cache and have it eventually become litter because you don't have the time for the upkeep. I am amazed at the amount of time and effort some of my local cachers put into maintaining their caches (I'm talking about you Indigo Parrish, should you ever read this lol).

My other half of "we" finds things that I don't really like sometimes but that makes it interesting. Makes me try new things if you will.

We found a cache that was nothing more than a mail box in the woods. The thing that impressed me about it was they had to drag it into the woods with a shovel and what not to dig the hole and place it. Never mind the "what is that" expressions that we had when we found it. To me this is a cache that deserves a long good post.

As for the micros I have only found a few that to me deserved anything more than a TFTF. Even if the spot that the cache is hidden in is nothing special but the back story of how and why it was placed there makes it worthy of a good post.

I feel that if you place a cache just because there is a spot with no other effort than placing it, you get a TFTF. Unless something happens to me on the way there. For instance on our travels to one cache with a fellow cacher our friend slipped and broke their arm. We spent the rest of the day at the hospital. The cache was nothing special. Now this is not exciting but something to write about.

IMO posting more than a TFTF in a generic no frills cache log seems patronizing. We all know this is just something placed to boost the CO's numbers so treat it as such.

IMO posting more than a TFTF in a generic no frills cache log seems patronizing. We all know this is just something placed to boost the CO's numbers so treat it as such.

The we in we all know - is that the we of which you are half or some other set of individuals?

If it's the latter then I must fall outside that undefined set you describe as 'we' - because I can think of a number of different reasons why the cache you describe as no frills or blah might be placed.

The we in we all know - is that the we of which you are half or some other set of individuals?

If it's the latter then I must fall outside that undefined set you describe as 'we' - because I can think of a number of different reasons why the cache you describe as no frills or blah might be placed.

Please elaborate. I am more than willing to admit that I was wrong if given different information.

Please elaborate. I am more than willing to admit that I was wrong if given different information.

There's absolutely no need to elaborate - it's fact that caches exist for all sorts of reasons and are placed by CO's with all sorts of intentions.

Well thank you for your reply but I will stick to my original opinion then. I do see that they could place a cache just because, but in making my point it still does not (to me) warrant a post other than TFTF.

Well thank you for your reply but I will stick to my original opinion then. I do see that they could place a cache just because, but in making my point it still does not (to me) warrant a post other than TFTF.

OK - thanks for clearing that up - you were speaking on your own behalf then - I was just confused by the We all know this is just something placed to boost the CO's numbers so treat it as such. :)

OK - thanks for clearing that up - you were speaking on your own behalf then - I was just confused by the We all know this is just something placed to boost the CO's numbers so treat it as such. :)

Ahh yes if that is what the confusion was about. I should have added the IMO as no one person can speak for all.

Ahh yes if that is what the confusion was about. I should have added the IMO as no one person can speak for all.

If you'd just said something like IMO this is something to boost the CO's numbers and I treat it as such I'd have understood first time.

It was only when you drew on the as yet still undefined collective we all to support your assertion that I couldn't work out how you could possibly know that.

If you'd just said something like IMO this is something to boost the CO's numbers and I treat it as such I'd have understood first time.

It was only when you drew on the as yet still undefined collective we all to support your assertion that I couldn't work out how you could possibly know that.

Another way I could have said it was

We should all know that they are only placed to boost the CO's numbers as I myself can not figure out and have yet to be shown any other motives for placing a cache in a random spot.

We should all know that they are only placed to boost the CO's numbers as I myself can not figure out and have yet to be shown any other motives for placing a cache in a random spot.

But then you'd have been suggesting that we should all know something which we've already proven isn't necessarily true and in fact in some circumstances definitely isn't true. And that wouldn't make sense at all :blink:

But then you'd have been suggesting that we should all know something which we've already proven isn't necessarily true and in fact in some circumstances definitely isn't true. And that wouldn't make sense at all :blink:

Sorry but one more...

Suggesting that we should all know something based on observations and the lack of others to give examples of the contrary does make sense. You have to read the whole line.

Suggesting that we should all know something based on observations and the lack of others to give examples of the contrary does make sense. You have to read the whole line.

I have observed that somebody here is guilty of fallacious logic. Nobody has given a contrary example so now WE all know it. :rolleyes:

Edited by cheech gang

I have observed that somebody here is guilty of fallacious logic. Nobody has given a contrary example so now WE all know it. :rolleyes:

Man. And I thought they were just going to say it was really easy to thumb out on a smartphone, and they didn't realize most cache owners prefer longer logs. :P

There are plenty of generic, no frills, caches hidden that obviously deserve a generic, no frills log, and that most cachers would quickly be able to determine as such. :rolleyes:

If there are multiple examples of caches with one sentence descriptions hidden under lamppost covers in shopping centers that deserve multi paragraph prose, I'd sure like to see them. :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

There are plenty of generic, no frills, caches hidden that obviously deserve a generic, no frills log, and that most cachers would quickly be able to determine as such. :rolleyes:

If there are multiple examples of caches with one sentence descriptions hidden under lamppost covers in shopping centers that deserve multi paragraph prose, I'd sure like to see them. :D

Well, my point, (and others I think) is the 4 letter acronym log, the text messagefication of Geocaching, if you will. :laughing: Cripes, how about "Easy find, thanks"?

And I do think most agree, a park-n-grab 5 feet a parking spot deserves a lame log. TMH doesn't even appear to be talking about that, but rather "micros in the woods", or "one of 51 caches in the same park", and that kind of stuff.

Well, my point, (and others I think) is the 4 letter acronym log, the text messagefication of Geocaching, if you will. :laughing: Cripes, how about "Easy find, thanks"?

And I do think most agree, a park-n-grab 5 feet a parking spot deserves a lame log. TMH doesn't even appear to be talking about that, but rather "micros in the woods", or "one of 51 caches in the same park", and that kind of stuff.

Yes, but there is still not much to write in many cases. I don't know why people write tftc as opposed to "thanks", but on many caches there is nothing much to write. "Easy find" is often redundant and obvious.

To me, it is nothing more than a proliferation of the lazy. Find twenty caches in a day and you don't want to bother typing something interesting for each of them. People can type text message all day on their phones but can't be bothered to leave more than 4 characters for a cache.

Do that and you are just a USER, you are not giving back to those who bother to hide caches.

Fine, I get leaving TFTC for a lamppost cache. Still, if you think those are so lame that they don't deserve anything more, why did you take the time to find it? I have scoured the logs of some of the TFTC proponents here, and I find they gladly leave TFTH on most caches, including those where a sea of full logs surround their small island.

Oh, I am writing this because I received a "SL" log to today (signed log) for a cache that requires the finder to walk at least half a mile on a trail, the cache is currently stuffed full, and that is the only traditional cache that is going to be found on that trail. Just puts one off about hiding after receiving such logs.

I do wish finders would realize that the thing that entices many hiders to hide caches, is the log.

To me, it is nothing more than a proliferation of the lazy. Find twenty caches in a day and you don't want to bother typing something interesting for each of them. People can type text message all day on their phones but can't be bothered to leave more than 4 characters for a cache.

Do that and you are just a USER, you are not giving back to those who bother to hide caches.

Fine, I get leaving TFTC for a lamppost cache. Still, if you think those are so lame that they don't deserve anything more, why did you take the time to find it? I have scoured the logs of some of the TFTC proponents here, and I find they gladly leave TFTH on most caches, including those where a sea of full logs surround their small island.

Oh, I am writing this because I received a "SL" log to today (signed log) for a cache that requires the finder to walk at least half a mile on a trail, the cache is currently stuffed full, and that is the only traditional cache that is going to be found on that trail. Just puts one off about hiding after receiving such logs.

I do wish finders would realize that the thing that entices many hiders to hide caches, is the log.

Tftp. :P Now I would never call any of my 50 hides on Geocaching.com great (save for one Earthcache that has been named "Geocache of the Week" on the blog, that is indeed great), and I've hidden about the same amount on alternative websites over the years. But I don't hide caches that "deserve" 4 letter acronym logs. Funny though, I've received several dozen of them here since about 2010. :ph34r: And maybe like one pre-2010. :o

Actually I am taking about the park and grabs with nothing more than "Here is a quick park n grab." as the description of the cache. I am also talking about the many ( in my area) of trail/park hides that are noting more than the park n grabs in a park or on a trail. These caches take from the others that would like to place a cache that has more meaning or a better hide.

They seem to only care about the numbers. they do not maintain their caches and no one else can place a cache anywhere in the vicinity due to the mass number of them. If you are not one of the people who does this and then complains about the TFTF logs then move on I am not talking about you. If you have put time and effort into the hide and you get the TFTF logs and this bugs you contact the TFTF loggers and ask them if they enjoyed the find and if there is something that would have made it better. Unless you just like to complain. Complaining on the forums without some constructive ideas on how to fix the problem does not IMO solve any issues.

I like to find all of them. It is a compulsion. :) Found one this weekend that was easy except for the high muggle traffic. I put that in the log. Yes there are some that we have filtered out due to the crazy amount of the micros just placed in random spots because they could.

And yes a micro in the middle of the woods labeled as a 1 difficulty with a description of "under wood" is just trolling to me. In this day and age of acronyms and texting a TFTF to me is not a big deal be happy they spent the time to write that. Just as some place caches for the numbers some find caches for the numbers.

The more caches that are found, the more likely that the logs will be copy and paste. At one time there was a paragraph in every logbook from every cacher detailing how they liked it and what was traded. Then those logs were transferred online instead. Now they have almost completely disappeared.

So...it's okay to take up more room than just a few lines? I will admit that there are times when I feel guilty for taking up too much space, because all the logs before me will be so short and minimal that I get the impression that I'm supposed to be saving space. When it comes to micros, with their tiny little rolled up logs, I understand. But I've found caches big enough for actual logBOOKS, and still people will only use one or two lines. The date, their nick, maybe what they traded. I figured maybe it was preferred people keep their logs short, so the log won't fill up as fast and the cache owner won't have to come replace it as often...but now that I actually think about it, if I were the hider I don't think I would mind having to replace my log more often, if I got some interesting log entries out of it.

Some COs who have used relatively small log books/sheets may be displeased with a longer-than-one-line log because it's "unnecessarily" using up space. Others won't mind at all. You never know.

I can't imagine many COs with decent sized log books will mind in the least if you take up a whole page.

It is somewhat rare to see much written in the log book nowadays. It's fun to read them, though. Perhaps some people (maybe a lot of people) don't want to do the log twice (once in handwriting in the log book and once online) and thus save it for the online log. I admit I have many times wondered what to say on the paper log ("If I talk about x y z on the paper log, then what will I talk about online? Is it cheezy to repeat the same stuff twice? I don't know."

Writing a decent full page log in the log book died around August of '07. Well, at least around here maybe. A few months ago, I hiked a trail that was new to me but not new to caching. Amongst the 14 micros, there were also 6 ammo cans with full sized log books in them. Some of these were placed in '02, '03, '04, '05, and one placed in '10. Looking through the log books of the older ones, almost every entry was a full or half page log entry until August '07, then, almost like someone had flipped a switch, it was simply two more pages of 40 one line signatures. The one placed in '10, It had a half sized notebook for a log, yet only two pages had been used for one line signatures, with one person adding, "Great view, took TB, thanks".

I'm not that wordy but took the time to write at least a half of page.

When I go caching, I use a similar templates style of all my finds. If you dont like them, being a CO isnt for you.

Copy and paste!

<vomit> I guess then nobody's cut out to be a CO. :rolleyes:

There's a cacher who does almost exclusively copy and paste logs. <vomits again>

Nobody cares how many caches you found that day or what you had for lunch. Really, we don't want to know! It's not just cache owners that are annoyed by cut and paste logs, but all the other cachers that get to read about your glorious day...again....and again...on every cache page in the area.... :tired:

I absolutely agree. If you are going to find 30, 40, 50 caches in a day, in a cache dense area, pasting the same six paragraph log on each and every cache is stupid. How many times do I need to read that you had the burger and she had the fish in your after caching meal, especially if I'm in the field, cant find the cache and am looking at the logs for possible clues?

Personally, I think that if you don't have or are not willing to write something unique for the cache, then simply say "Thanks" and be done with it. The four page adventure followed by the one sentence about the cache is the worse. If you are going to do that, put the unique part at the top. After we have read two or more logs, it's the only part that is relevant.

There can be some very nice logs for some hides, but most people don't try to muster up the feelings for them anymore. :D

"I saw her from across the parking lot. Just standing there, glistening in the hot summer sun. I knew at once I had to have her; she would be mine. Slowly I cruised over in my car, windows down, radio playing soft, romantic music. I pulled up next to her, got out of my car, but didn't say a word. I looked at her, and she just stood there, almost beckoning, taunting, teasing me. I knew what I wanted, and she had it. But would she give it away to a stranger? I was going to find out, regardless of the consequences. I began my approach, never taking my eyes off her. Slowly, but confidently I advanced. She didn't move an inch. It was as if she was saying "its all up to you, friend". Suddenly, I was beside her. I put one hand out, and touched her. She was hot, and smooth as a baby's bottom. I knew it was now or never, there was no turning back. I put my hands on her skirt, and pulled it straight up to see what was hidden beneath it. There it was, staring me in the face, only inches away. Slowly, cautiously, I reached out and grabbed it. Finally!! The cache was mine! Quickly signed the log, put the film can back under the skirt and was on my way. Thanks for the cache!"

Found this cache on a sweltering hot summer day. The choice of hide site itself was ingenious, as who else but HIDER AAA could have been sensitive enough and intuitive enough -- indeed, enough of a poet and artisan -- to have realized that every lamppost in this parking lot needed a microcache in its base in order to achieve its highest order of spiritual and inner fulfillment in its time on earth? And who else but HIDER AAA could have, and would have, been courageous enough to respond to the heartfelt cry of this lamppost for a microcache of its very own, and who else would have been strong enough and resourceful enough -- and creative enough -- to have found this magnificent hide-a-key container, lovingly crafted it into a cache container, and then lovingly and religiously placed it in such a daring and scintillating spot, a spot so magical, so special, that my eyes fill with tears as I write this log entry, just as they did in that sacred and holy parking lot earlier this afternoon, whence and where those beneficent tears mixed with the sweat on my face on that hot summer afternoon, and then those sacred tears of joy and love streamed off my face and bathed the tiny paper logbook as I prepared to return it to its magical magnetic receptacle, its special chalice, then to return it lovingly to its special designated altar, its resting spot where it can lie nestled in safety, guarded by the noble tall cylindrical sentinel known generically to the heathens and the uninitatied as a "lamp post" but known to any true red-blooded and sincere geocacher as a "Sentinel of microcache guardianship with attendant beacon of yellowish-white light from GE 5169Y sodium vapor lamp at apex".

And, after I had replaced the sacred vessel inside the sacred altar known as "Sentinel of microcache guardianship with attendant beacon of yellowish-white light from GE 5169Y sodium vapor lamp at apex", I fell to my knees, overcome with joy and awe, and I prayed to the Holy Lame Urban Magnetic Microcache, thanking it for its benificence, and thanking it for its blessing, and then, further overcome by its magnificence and by my comparative shallowness and banality and unworthiness, not to mention my sins, I cast my torso upon the hot scorching pavement, wailing and crying and screaming, and flailing my fists against the hot unyielding pavement, now covered with the blood of my righteous and wrathful self-directed fury, at the injustice that one so unworthy as I should have dared to have touched a sacred Lame Urban Micro Magnetic Receptacle, and with the thought that I had -- without the requisite 22 hours of prior cleansing and fasting -- also dared to approach its sacred altar, known as a "Sentinel of microcache guardianship with attendant beacon of yellowish-white light from GE 5169Y sodium vapor lamp at apex", in the first place. And, so finally, my homage to the sacred cache was complete, and satiated and bloody, yet filled with bliss and joy at this exposure to The Sacred and The Holy, I returned to my car. Signed logbook with tears and blood, took nothing, left five $100 bills as a small token of my offering to this cache and to the Lame Urban micro Magnetic Cache Gods. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for this wonderful cache and religious icon, and for this chance to once again worship the Demigod of Lame Urban Magnetic Microcaches. Thank you.

The four page adventure followed by the one sentence about the cache is the worse. If you are going to do that, put the unique part at the top. After we have read two or more logs, it's the only part that is relevant.

Agreed. Actually I would prefer they stick to the 1 sentence and leave the rest of the crap out. :D

There can be some very nice logs for some hides, but most people don't try to muster up the feelings for them anymore. :D

"I saw her from across the parking lot. Just standing there, glistening in the hot summer sun. I knew at once I had to have her; she would be mine. Slowly I cruised over in my car, windows down, radio playing soft, romantic music. I pulled up next to her, got out of my car, but didn't say a word. I looked at her, and she just stood there, almost beckoning, taunting, teasing me. I knew what I wanted, and she had it. But would she give it away to a stranger? I was going to find out, regardless of the consequences. I began my approach, never taking my eyes off her. Slowly, but confidently I advanced. She didn't move an inch. It was as if she was saying "its all up to you, friend". Suddenly, I was beside her. I put one hand out, and touched her. She was hot, and smooth as a baby's bottom. I knew it was now or never, there was no turning back. I put my hands on her skirt, and pulled it straight up to see what was hidden beneath it. There it was, staring me in the face, only inches away. Slowly, cautiously, I reached out and grabbed it. Finally!! The cache was mine! Quickly signed the log, put the film can back under the skirt and was on my way. Thanks for the cache!"

Found this cache on a sweltering hot summer day. The choice of hide site itself was ingenious, as who else but HIDER AAA could have been sensitive enough and intuitive enough -- indeed, enough of a poet and artisan -- to have realized that every lamppost in this parking lot needed a microcache in its base in order to achieve its highest order of spiritual and inner fulfillment in its time on earth? And who else but HIDER AAA could have, and would have, been courageous enough to respond to the heartfelt cry of this lamppost for a microcache of its very own, and who else would have been strong enough and resourceful enough -- and creative enough -- to have found this magnificent hide-a-key container, lovingly crafted it into a cache container, and then lovingly and religiously placed it in such a daring and scintillating spot, a spot so magical, so special, that my eyes fill with tears as I write this log entry, just as they did in that sacred and holy parking lot earlier this afternoon, whence and where those beneficent tears mixed with the sweat on my face on that hot summer afternoon, and then those sacred tears of joy and love streamed off my face and bathed the tiny paper logbook as I prepared to return it to its magical magnetic receptacle, its special chalice, then to return it lovingly to its special designated altar, its resting spot where it can lie nestled in safety, guarded by the noble tall cylindrical sentinel known generically to the heathens and the uninitatied as a "lamp post" but known to any true red-blooded and sincere geocacher as a "Sentinel of microcache guardianship with attendant beacon of yellowish-white light from GE 5169Y sodium vapor lamp at apex".

And, after I had replaced the sacred vessel inside the sacred altar known as "Sentinel of microcache guardianship with attendant beacon of yellowish-white light from GE 5169Y sodium vapor lamp at apex", I fell to my knees, overcome with joy and awe, and I prayed to the Holy Lame Urban Magnetic Microcache, thanking it for its benificence, and thanking it for its blessing, and then, further overcome by its magnificence and by my comparative shallowness and banality and unworthiness, not to mention my sins, I cast my torso upon the hot scorching pavement, wailing and crying and screaming, and flailing my fists against the hot unyielding pavement, now covered with the blood of my righteous and wrathful self-directed fury, at the injustice that one so unworthy as I should have dared to have touched a sacred Lame Urban Micro Magnetic Receptacle, and with the thought that I had -- without the requisite 22 hours of prior cleansing and fasting -- also dared to approach its sacred altar, known as a "Sentinel of microcache guardianship with attendant beacon of yellowish-white light from GE 5169Y sodium vapor lamp at apex", in the first place. And, so finally, my homage to the sacred cache was complete, and satiated and bloody, yet filled with bliss and joy at this exposure to The Sacred and The Holy, I returned to my car. Signed logbook with tears and blood, took nothing, left five $100 bills as a small token of my offering to this cache and to the Lame Urban micro Magnetic Cache Gods. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for this wonderful cache and religious icon, and for this chance to once again worship the Demigod of Lame Urban Magnetic Microcaches. Thank you.

Hilarious. :lol:

This was a log that I loved seeing in one of my favorite hides.

Best caching experience I've had yet. Tough traverse through the swamp followed by a very creative hide. We improvised with the tools nature gave us. Definitely worth all the stars, at least for this area. TFTC!

Sorry, but sometimes I just can't do it. Here is a perfect example that I encountered. Two ammo cans placed along a trail in 2003, both are cleverly hidden under giant shady oak trees. they are .2 miles plus 6 feet apart. Over the years 70 cachers have hiked through and found the two caches, then about six months ago, new age cacher comes along and finds that six foot gap. Nothing there but a trail, three foot high dead grass and a few rocks. He collects up the rocks, puts an Altoids tin in the grass and piles the rocks on top of it. His entire description for his new cache is, "I found a spot that didn't have a cache, so I fixed that problem". Now, I'm hiking by, so I stop and put my name in the log and I am going to log it online, but there is no way in the world that I'm going to put any effort into writing anything nice because it would be a flat out lie.

Fact of the matter is that not all caches are created equal and because of that, neither are my logs. My only rule is that I try to remain respectful and that I thank the cache owner, but if there is really nothing to say after that, then nothing might be all you get.

You're an awesome Mom!

First off, I am DAD to my 6 yr old son and 3 yr old daughter. :):laughing:

When I go caching, I use a similar templates style of all my finds. If you dont like them, being a CO isnt for you.

Copy and paste!

<vomit> I guess then nobody's cut out to be a CO. :rolleyes:

There's a cacher who does almost exclusively copy and paste logs. <vomits again>

Nobody cares how many caches you found that day or what you had for lunch. Really, we don't want to know! It's not just cache owners that are annoyed by cut and paste logs, but all the other cachers that get to read about your glorious day...again....and again...on every cache page in the area.... :tired:

I absolutely agree. If you are going to find 30, 40, 50 caches in a day, in a cache dense area, pasting the same six paragraph log on each and every cache is stupid. How many times do I need to read that you had the burger and she had the fish in your after caching meal, especially if I'm in the field, cant find the cache and am looking at the logs for possible clues?

Personally, I think that if you don't have or are not willing to write something unique for the cache, then simply say "Thanks" and be done with it. The four page adventure followed by the one sentence about the cache is the worse. If you are going to do that, put the unique part at the top. After we have read two or more logs, it's the only part that is relevant.

What I usually do if I found a bunch of caches is put the long story in one of the online logs and then more cache specific info only on the rest. Often there are only 1 or 2 CO's in a given park area so I will put the long story in one cache for each cache owner. This way each CO gets to read the full story of my caching experience. And most times I don't copy and past the long story so it varies a bit between logs.

I've never even thought about putting anything on the physical logs other than my geocache handle and the date. My online logs are another thing, though, I always tell a little story, or give a few nice words to the CO. I do end most of them with tftc, though. In fact, according to MyGeocachingProfile.com (what a great site!), my logs average 263 characters, or 50 words.

I really don't care that much what people write when they log my caches, although I prefer not to get the "TFTC" type entries. It is best if they say something about the cache or the process of finding it but sometimes there is not a lot to say if it was an easy find for them.

Likewise I may or may not write much. My feeling about long logs is that beyond a certain point it is just too much to read especially if it is just personal information, and also very long log entries the logs a lot harder to read when paperless geocaching. If people just say 'found it with no problem' or 'found after a few minutes of searching' or 'had to look hard' something like that it is helpful for the next searcher without giving too much away.

There is such a thing as going overboard on the description so that it makes the cache progressively easier for subsequent finders. Generally I thing that the CO hid the cache in a certain way, intending a certain difficulty, and if too much specific additional information is given by finders, it changes the nature of the cache. I have seen that happen to some degree with some of my caches.

That said, one time I added some very pretty specific information in a cache log writeup, but only pertaining to finding the parking spot that was already mentioned in the cache description. I didn't add anything about the actual cache location.