Other Cachers Declaring Dominion?

Has anyone experienced other geocachers declaring an exclusive zone? Any advice on how to deal with it.

I'm new to geocaching and have been enjoying it. But seem to have a problem developing. After placing only two caches, both near my home and in an area that showed no other caches within 2-3 kilometers, I received an e-mail politely asking me not to place any other caches any nearer to the next town - three kilometers away. This creates a huge area, with a trail network showing no caches, where I am asked not to place any caches.

The person who contacted me said their reason is they have an event planned which they have invested time and money in which will take place in October (it is April now). They don't explain how my placing caches might interfere.

This morning, I received an e-mail from a different cacher who has placed some new caches in the local area and also received an e-mail from another local expressing concern over his placement of caches and asking me what I think about it and suggesting the three of us consult in advance before placing caches so that we don't interfere with each other's plans. I am not sure, but I think the person who contacted this same individual is the one who also complained to me.

I have not answered either e-mail yet. Basically, I would just like to enjoy geocaching and not have friction with anyone over what should be a fun activity.

Can anyone explain how my placing caches in an area might cause problems to some kind of planned event?

Does anyone think it necessary to consult with local geocachers before placing a cache? Isn't that what the website is for?

Personally, I feel like at least one person is declaring quite a large area, that has no geocaches in it, as an exclusive zone for his future use and is (politely, so far) asking others not to intrude.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone experienced other geocachers declaring an exclusive zone? Any advice on how to deal with it.

I'm new to geocaching and have been enjoying it. But seem to have a problem developing. After placing only two caches, both near my home and in an area that showed no other caches within 2-3 kilometers, I received an e-mail politely asking me not to place any other caches any nearer to the next town - three kilometers away. This creates a huge area, with a trail network showing no caches, where I am asked not to place any caches.

The person who contacted me said their reason is they have an event planned which they have invested time and money in which will take place in October (it is April now). They don't explain how my placing caches might interfere.

This morning, I received an e-mail from a different cacher who has placed some new caches in the local area and also received an e-mail from another local expressing concern over his placement of caches and asking me what I think about it and suggesting the three of us consult in advance before placing caches so that we don't interfere with each other's plans. I am not sure, but I think the person who contacted this same individual is the one who also complained to me.

I have not answered either e-mail yet. Basically, I would just like to enjoy geocaching and not have friction with anyone over what should be a fun activity.

Can anyone explain how my placing caches in an area might cause problems to some kind of planned event?

Does anyone think it necessary to consult with local geocachers before placing a cache? Isn't that what the website is for?

Personally, I feel like at least one person is declaring quite a large area, that has no geocaches in it, as an exclusive zone for his future use and is (politely, so far) asking others not to intrude.

Any thoughts?

My first thought is to put out more caches. The only way this person can claim those areas is by placing caches in them. One tactic that is permitted is to reserve a spot by creating, but not enabling a cache listing with the coordinates for the spot. If someone else then places a cache there, the reviewer will contact the first person and ask them what their plans are. Unless the circumstances are highly unusual, it's doubtful that the reviewer would let them hold the spot for six months. Since they haven't even done this, the spots are open for anyone to place caches in.

This cacher obviously wants to place new caches by his event in order to draw cachers to the area. Despite that, he has no real claim to the area. Should you cooperate with him is strictly up to you. How long has the second cacher been active? Perhaps he can advise you about the first guy? Do you have a strong local geocaching community and is the first guy greatly respected in it? Sometimes when you're new to something it's best join the flow until you figure out where to make the waves, even if what the guy is telling you is outrageous. Perhaps, you can work with the first guy when the time comes and help him place caches for the event.

Right or wrong, and I do think that this guy is wrong, as a new cacher, what you do can effect how you fit into the geocaching community. This could mean absolutely nothing to you or it could be very important.

As Don_J mentioned, ho wyou handle things could make a friend or an enemy.

I would contact them and see what their grand plan is. I woudl also contatc the local review and explain the situation. The person may already have caches in place but not activated.

Keep communication lines open, and try to work with them.

My first reaction was "go ahead and place as many caches as you want, anywhere there is space!" But then I counted to ten and decided the best course would be as has been suggested and email for clarification so as not to interfere with their plans. You could also suggest that you would be willing to help in some way and to use the experience as a learning tool for you. Could be beneficial to all to develop a positive relationship with them.

the system works normally like this,

you can create a cache, get its position approved, and reserve the space, without actually puplish the cache,

this is how they should do it, way ahead of the event, and let anyone else do their normal thing.

this is how I always do it.

but this takes a bit extra work, both for me, and the reviewers.

However, if several geocachers works together in parallel to make alot of new cool caches arround in the area,

it is ALOT easier for them, to make a good event, and alot of great caches, if you stay away from the area at that time,

just ask if you can be a part of the team ?

or why not just make caches a bit away, 3km is nothing, even by foot..

oh, another advice : if anykind of dispute or misunderstandings needs to be discussed,

ALWAYS use a phone call, NOT emails, and worst of all : FORUMS...

Edited by OZ2CPU

I would suggest emailing and asking for clarification.

Agreeing with this post. Events wouldn't normally be affected by existing caches.

It sort of sounds like this person with the October plan is thinking of placing additional caches for the Event (to be activated on or about the time of the event) that would afterwards remain permanent.

If this is the case, that Event planner should be working with an Reviewer, not emailing other cachers to cease placing caches.

Clarification is needed, and discussion could (should) resolve it.

Perhaps they just aren't aware that it can be done in a manner that doesn't seem quite so offensive to others.

While I wouldn't say it is "wrong" for the planner to make attempts to reserve a given area, it seems as though they may be going about it the wrong way.

There is more than plenty of room for the event caches and yours to reside together. There is also no reason to block up that much room for a mass release 6 months away. Six months is an awful long time, and an entire town is too big of an area to block off. You should try to work with this person and ask them to detail the areas without generalizing, but the request sounds silly. A few years ago a 17 year old asked me at an event not to place caches in many different areas of town, as he was planning to put a bunch in, which never materialized. :rolleyes:

I would get a hundred film canisters and do a power trail starting at the center of his town and going out in four directions. Placing them .19 miles apart for maximum impact.

All because of a polite request???

I'm not sure it's all that polite. It strikes me as greedy to request that people not hide a cache in the event town plus the surrounding area in a 3 km radius. How many cache hides does someone need for an event in order to attract people? Don't most people go to events to talk? Wouldn't the OP's cache draw in people? Why does it have to be the event owner's cache?

Here's a suggestion, plant the cache, then in 6 months consider archiving it for the event if the event owner needs the spot for his cache. What are the chances he can't find another spot 161 meters away?

Edited by L0ne R

There is more than plenty of room for the event caches and yours to reside together. There is also no reason to block up that much room for a mass release 6 months away. Six months is an awful long time, and an entire town is too big of an area to block off. You should try to work with this person and ask them to detail the areas without generalizing, but the request sounds silly. A few years ago a 17 year old asked me at an event not to place caches in many different areas of town, as he was planning to put a bunch in, which never materialized. :rolleyes:

I agree. Claiming too general an area is asking a lot...this person needs to be more selective about where he would politely request you not place caches. It sounds like he already has plans, so even requesting areas in a quarter or half mile radius shouldn't be a problem and would probably make him sound a lot less territorial.

I would get a hundred film canisters and do a power trail starting at the center of his town and going out in four directions. Placing them .19 miles apart for maximum impact.

All because of a polite request???

I'm not sure it's all that polite. It strikes me as greedy to request that people not hide a cache in the event town plus the surrounding area in a 3 km radius. How many caches hides does someone need for an event in order to attract people? Don't most people go to events to talk? Wouldn't the OP's cache draw in people? Why does it have to be the event owner's cache?

I'm inclined to agree with this. It doesn't seem to me to be a very polite request. It does seem to lean to the greedy side.

However, if it were I, I would tend to err on the side of caution, and try to get a clarification from him. His reason had better be good though, or I would go ahead and hide my caches.

I think it would be much easier for the event planner to create his cache pages and reserve his spots that way rather than contacting everyone in the area who might put out a cache between now and October. If you're really interested in putting caches out, maybe ask that he develop his caches in the near future and give you an idea of where they are so you can work around them. That way it's win/win. I don't think it's fair to say "hands off" to a large radius, especially for six months.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and opinions.

The main reason that I did not immediately reply to the e-mail from the first individual was that, while it was phrased politely, the request itself seemed a bit rude just on the basis of what it was asking - to leave a really large and vaguely defined space untouched.

This request appeared after I had placed two caches very near my house and it asked that I place none any closer to a town/village three kilometers away. That creates a space of about nine square kilometers of farmland crossed by public hiking and biking trails. My caches are the only ones in the immediate vicinity.

The e-mail I received from a second person today seems to have been provoked by a note to him from the first person that contacted me and it appears he made a similar request - in response to some caches the second person had placed in and around a town even farther away from my home and from the village originally named by the first cacher.

I am still debating as to whether to contact the first person to try to clarify as some have suggested. I don't want to create problems for someone working on a project. On the other hand, this individual seems to be declaring a large no-mans land for six months. If he can give me some reasonable explanations I'll be happy to work with him. If not, I appreciate the suggestion from some of you to consult a local reviewer.

I don't plan, as the second person suggested, to start consulting in advance with these two other people before placing new caches. To me, that seems to be the purpose of the website and the reviewer system. As an example, the second person who contacted me (and second to get a complaint similar to mine) recently placed several new caches in an area that I'd had my eye on as having some good possibilities. I'd never consider contacting him to suggest he stay away from a certain area - I've simply started enjoying finding his hides. The difference between a newly placed cache and one that someone else had planned for the same spot would be that the second needs to go elsewhere.

Finally, in the fifteen replies so far, nobody has said they have actually experienced being contacted by somebody with a similar request to keep out of a particular (and large) area. That reinforces my sense that the request is unusual, maybe a bit out of bounds, and too much engagement with the originator might be a pain. I hope not.

Grateful for any other thoughts.

I think it would be much easier for the event planner to create his cache pages and reserve his spots that way rather than contacting everyone in the area who might put out a cache between now and October. If you're really interested in putting caches out, maybe ask that he develop his caches in the near future and give you an idea of where they are so you can work around them. That way it's win/win. I don't think it's fair to say "hands off" to a large radius, especially for six months.

Frankly, I wish event creators didn't feel it is necessary to place a bunch of caches associated with the event to entice people to come to the event. I thought the purpose of an event was to bring geocachers together to socialize, but it seems like it's become almost obligatory to put out a bunch of cache for people to find around the time of the event to lure cachers to the event.

I agree. They can't block of a whole town if they need that area they should make a cache etc.if someone told me that right now id be tempted to go buy a box of Tupperware and pit out ten in a few days.

An events a meet and greet don't need tons of caches

Edited by Off Grid

Finally, in the fifteen replies so far, nobody has said they have actually experienced being contacted by somebody with a similar request to keep out of a particular (and large) area. That reinforces my sense that the request is unusual, maybe a bit out of bounds, and too much engagement with the originator might be a pain. I hope not.

I think it's a very unusual request and unquestionably out of bounds. How you deal with it is a tough question. I deal with people who step over my bounds by backing away and staying away...but I dream of throwing it right back at them. :) The suggestion above about making the power trail from hell through their no man's land brings a big smile to my face...I wouldn't do it, but I'd enjoy dreaming about doing it.

A big part of my reaction would be based on whether this was a seasoned cacher. If so, then it would make sense to get in on the plan and work with him. That would be a great way to connect with the community and, coincidentally, give you better insight into whether this is a legitimate request or just a power grab. A plan like that seems like a lot of work, so he should be eager for help.

If it's a cacher without a lot of experience -- no events, for example -- I'd suspect these are grand plans unlikely to be executed. (Well, ignoring the possibility that this is nothing but a turf grab, something I don't want to consider even if it might be true.) In that case, I'd probably respond with a friendly note telling him to contact you with any problems as the time gets closer so you can consider moving or archiving any caches that are causing him trouble, or integrating your caches into his plans.

Of course, this is assuming you want to plant caches. You could, if you wanted, use this as an excuse to leave it to him to create and maintain all the caches in that area. Indeed, one part of any response should include some comment about how more caches are needed in that area before October, so you hope he'll be taking care of that problem.

The important thing is to react as if it's a legitimate request even as you do whatever reasonable thing you want to in the face of it. Even if this turns out to be the nastiest clown you can imagine, you'll feel better and you'll come out looking better if you treat him and his request with respect. But respect doesn't require acquiescence.

The closest I've ever come to this was with a cache hide I was planning. It was going to be a fairly lengthy Wherigo, with numerous physical stages which must be located in order to progress to the final. Since there were only a fe people in the caching community who were likely to hide anything in this patch of woods, I sent them an email detailing what I had in the works, including the coordinates for the physical aspects, asking if they had anything in the works which might be hindered by my hide. When they told me they had nothing planned, I laid out the stages on a cache page, to reserve those spots till I completed the build.

By going this route, I was able to demonstrate that I placed their future hides as having greater value than the one I was working on, whilst indicating a willingness to shift my waypoints to accommodate their potential caches.

Had I received an email asking me to stay away from a large swath of woods, I would ask for detailed clarification regarding why I should even consider it. If the response was satisfactory, along the lines of, "Hi Riffster, I am in the process of hiding a couple dozen caches for an upcoming event, they will be hidden near the following locations:", I would likely honor their request, as it is better to build bridges, as opposed to burning them. If no satisfactory response was given, I would continue to hide caches where and when I felt like it.

I agree. Claiming too general an area is asking a lot...this person needs to be more selective about where he would politely request you not place caches. It sounds like he already has plans, so even requesting areas in a quarter or half mile radius shouldn't be a problem and would probably make him sound a lot less territorial.

Besides, wouldn't the caches hidden by the OP also be enough to draw in other cachers to an event? What difference does it make who owns them? Unless of course, specific hides or cool caches are in the works.

Grateful for any other thoughts.

I've asked other cachers in the past if they've got pending hides. I've even kindly asked cachers if they'd move, archive, or adopt to me existing caches. I am about 50-50 in terms of cooperation. But I would never be as presumptuous as to try and keep an area all to myself.

The area I hide in might appear to be owned by me but that's a function of no one else hiding more than a cache or two over a six year period of time. I would WELCOME others hiding something in my area for me to find.

I am still debating as to whether to contact the first person to try to clarify as some have suggested. I don't want to create problems for someone working on a project. On the other hand, this individual seems to be declaring a large no-mans land for six months. If he can give me some reasonable explanations I'll be happy to work with him. If not, I appreciate the suggestion from some of you to consult a local reviewer.

With no new caches, there are no new caches to find. To expect the community to stop caching for six months until he is ready to place his caches is simply unreasonable.

I don't plan, as the second person suggested, to start consulting in advance with these two other people before placing new caches. To me, that seems to be the purpose of the website and the reviewer system. As an example, the second person who contacted me (and second to get a complaint similar to mine) recently placed several new caches in an area that I'd had my eye on as having some good possibilities. I'd never consider contacting him to suggest he stay away from a certain area - I've simply started enjoying finding his hides. The difference between a newly placed cache and one that someone else had planned for the same spot would be that the second needs to go elsewhere.

Let me clarify. What I meant is that you could possibly query the second person who contacted you to learn something about the first person and gauge their reaction if you ignored his request. Is he the guy that nobody has ever heard of? Is he the guy who's grand plan never comes together, or is he the guy that everyone loves because he holds the annual event in October? Is he known to be vindictive or aggressive if crossed, or is he the guy that is always open to compromise? Knowing these things beforehand may help you decide how to approach the issue.

The person who contacted me said their reason is they have an event planned which they have invested time and money in which will take place in October (it is April now).

I'd respond with an even politer email, asking the sender to please not place any caches in the same area because coincidentally I've invested way more time and more money in an already approved Mega-Event that will take place in late September in the exact same spot, featuring an actual for-real officially listed Project APE cache and 3 officially log-able Locationless Caches. Oh, and those who attend my event will receive a once-in-a-lifetime-Souvenir, one of the original Yellow Jeep travel bugs, a coupon that will allow the holder to place and officially list up to 10 new Virtual Caches, other fabulous prizes, and a donut.

Ok, I wouldn't really do that.

But I'd be tempted.

I think as Geocachers we need to appreciate the time, energy and money that others put into these planned events which I'm sure can sometimes take months

to put together. I would first give him the benefit of the doubt and kindly email him back letting him know that you are a new cacher still learning how things work and what his plans were etc. I think he was kind in his email to you so shame on the other cachers for trying to teach you as a new cacher to be vengeful when he hasn't done anything to you....be patient and find out the story and what radius he's planning the event in.....in which I'm sure you'd be able to attend and pick up some caches there, have fun and meet other cachers.

Besides, wouldn't the caches hidden by the OP also be enough to draw in other cachers to an event? What difference does it make who owns them? Unless of course, specific hides or cool caches are in the works.

This was my thinking too.

The two the OP put out so far are well-written, varied and multilingual.

Who's to say his hides wouldn't be better than those the event planner placed?

Whoever they belonged to, cachers will look for them before/after an event.

If the event planner's hides were that important, he should have created unpublished hides.

I received an e-mail politely asking me not to place any other caches any nearer to the next town - three kilometers away. This creates a huge area, with a trail network showing no caches, where I am asked not to place any caches.

It sounds like someone is planning an event and intends to place many new caches to coincide with the event. Said event planner seems concerned that you will place caches in areas they are planning to use.

I would respond to their email (politely) and seek more details about what areas they are planning to use. I probably wouldn't mind avoiding certain areas (such as specific trails or parks), but essentially claiming an entire town seems rather excessive.

At the same time, the event planner in question should create cache pages for their planned caches (if they haven't already). Once created, the cache page will "hold" the coordinates. Reviewers will see these unpublished caches and check with the CO of the unpublished cache to see what the status of the hide is. This can help avoid the event planner's plans from being messed up by other cache placements.

I think as Geocachers we need to appreciate the time, energy and money that others put into these planned events which I'm sure can sometimes take months

to put together.

Putting time and energy into hosting an event doesn't give the event planner the right to declare a city off limits to others placing caches. I can appreciate an event holder for being willing to put up with the hassle of hosting an event. I wouldn't appreciate anyone saying "this area is mine; you can't place any caches here!"

The vibe I get is that this CO is not a seasoned cacher. It sounds alot like someone new who draws up impossibly grand plans in their first months of caching (and most of it turns to vapor). That, plus when he sees new caches being placed in the next town over, he freaks out and starts emailing other cachers about not placing anything near him. That's pretty rude and unreasonable without giving an explanation.

A seasoned cacher would (should) know that you can't hold any open space hostage, let alone an entire city, especially for a ridiculously long length of time. If he wants the spots that badly, he's going to have to reserve the locations by creating a cache page and then working with the reviewer if you (or anyone else) tries to place a cache near his reserved location.

What to do? I would email him back and try to get a sense of what his plans are. See if he'd be willing to partner up on some hides for the event. That'd be a great way to build bridges. If he still comes across as being unwilling to share and you have some quality hides in mind, go ahead and place them, even if they are in his town. It doesn't sound like you're going to go shotgunning a hundred micros all over the place, so I doubt a few caches here and there are going to destroy his caching empire or turn his event into a disaster.

The event organizers are, in fact, creating placeholder listings for the event caches -- around 45 thus far. This process began in February for an event cache scheduled for October. (The event was scheduled for May when it was published.)

Hey Keystone, as a hypothetical scenario, if this were occurring in your territory, would you honour the placeholders if someone else wanted to place a cache right now in proximity to one? 6 months seems like an unreasonable length of time to block a spot to me. Based on past discussions of this topic, I got the impression that most reviewers would tell the first CO to stuff it (in not so many words) and publish the 2nd CO's cache. Am I wrong?

Every situation is unique, and I don't want to pass judgment on a scenario that was discussed with a reviewer in a different language that I don't speak or read, and possibly through emails that I cannot see.

I am curious about the post-publication change in the event date. Hiding caches in February and March is reasonable for an event cache scheduled for May.

An example where I'd allow extra leeway is when an event is scheduled around a "road rally" or "scavenger hunt" theme, with caches that must be hidden at particular locations to fit into a master plan, involving printed instructions that must be prepared months in advance of the event.

In February I reviewed about the same number of cache listings that form a piece of "Geo Art" for an event to be held in June. I thought those circumstances were reasonable.

As already stated, this event was originally scheduled for May.

The reason for changing the date is a national youth cycling championship which causes the village to become almost unreachable on the original date - the cycling union announced their date in March.

In fact, the event is organized by a group of 6 local, experienced cachers, together with a local association which has a lot of experience organizing family events.

All of the geocachers have already placed some caches with a lot of favorite points.

I'm confident that it will become an excellent event with some great (multi) caches. At least 80 cachers are looking forward to it.

Meanwhile, due to media attention, the Belgian community has seen a lot of newbies placing some 'throw-away micros' in the last year (often without doing maintenance afterwards).

I really don't mean to be rude, but wouldn't it be better to find some more caches first, and if possible to attend the event?

The reason for changing the date is a national youth cycling championship which causes the village to become almost unreachable on the original date - the cycling union announced their date in March.

In fact, the event is organized by a group of 6 local, experienced cachers, together with a local association which has a lot of experience organizing family events.

All of the geocachers have already placed some caches with a lot of favorite points.

I'm confident that it will become an excellent event with some great (multi) caches. At least 80 cachers are looking forward to it.

Meanwhile, due to media attention, the Belgian community has seen a lot of newbies placing some 'throw-away micros' in the last year (often without doing maintenance afterwards).

I really don't mean to be rude, but wouldn't it be better to find some more caches first, and if possible to attend the event?

Team Pixie - Thanks, that is a lot of useful information that wasn't originally provided - it helps a lot. The detail on a large number of caches already planned or placed would have been handy on identifying where other peoples' caches might cause problems. It seems worthwhile to get in touch with the organisers now to try to clarify things a bit more.

On the ''throw-away micros'' I only have two caches and neither fall into that category. They've had a good number of visitors (not surprisingly as the area has very few posted hides) and people have been complimentary.

I don't take your last suggestion as rude at all. However, since I'm new to geocaching, is there a certain minimum number of caches that someone should find before they leap into placing caches? Apart from stirring up a bit of concern by placing a cache in an apparently empty area, I haven't found this too difficult of a hobby.

I do look forward to attending the event. Thanks again for the info.

to put together.

If event planners take months of time, energy, and money to put on an event you'd think it would be a really good event and it would be necessary to place 40 something cache to entice geocachers to attend the event. I think as Geocachers, we ought to consider taking a day off from adding 30-40 finds to our find count and just go and enjoy socializing with others in the geocaching community.

However, since I'm new to geocaching, is there a certain minimum number of caches that someone should find before they leap into placing caches?

There have been a lot of topics on this question, also on the Belgian geocaching forum (www.geocaching.be).

Often the conclusion is that more experience generally helps to place a 'better' cache, but that from time to time some real gems by new cachers are published.

It's the maintenance that seems to be the hardest part for some cachers, especially those who don't keep geocaching after a while...

Hope to see you at the event! :)

To me it sounds like the local reviewer has declined to give the "event" planner what s/he wants, and they are doing a back door reservation. If I were the local reviewer I would want to know this was going on. If an event planner wants to reserve spots, as described above, there are ways within the system to do this.

To me it sounds like the local reviewer has declined to give the "event" planner what s/he wants, and they are doing a back door reservation. If I were the local reviewer I would want to know this was going on. If an event planner wants to reserve spots, as described above, there are ways within the system to do this.

See post #33 above.

If event planners take months of time, energy, and money to put on an event you'd think it would be a really good event and it would be necessary to place 40 something cache to entice geocachers to attend the event. I think as Geocachers, we ought to consider taking a day off from adding 30-40 finds to our find count and just go and enjoy socializing with others in the geocaching community.

Socializing at an event and finding geocaches aren't mutually exclusive activities. Twice a year, our local geocaching community has a "Cache and Release" weekend. Traditionally, it begins with a Saturday morning CITO. Then people go out and search for about 70 newly placed caches. At midnight, many people gather at a restaurant event for some rest and socializing. On Sunday afternoon, there's a wrap-up event where more socializing occurs. Lots of fun for lots of people.

to put together.

+1.

I've stopped hiding caches to coincide with my events. People were always darting off and not mingling.

to put together.

That is a nice thought but IMHO kind of shows a misunderstanding of human nature. People come to these events to find caches. If you advertised an event of that size with no caches just fellow ship it could be heldin Supermans favorite changing place (ifmyounfind one that still exists).

Edited by Walts Hunting
People come to these events to find caches. If you advertised an event of that size with no caches just fellow ship it could be heldin Supermans favorite changing place (ifmyounfind one that still exists).

"Welcome to our Event. Here's the list of caches, so start typing and get out of here."

I love that about Events. :rolleyes:

Edited by kunarion

to put together.

+1.

I've stopped hiding caches to coincide with my events. People were always darting off and not mingling.

+2

I don't mean to be rude, but if they were experienced cachers they should already know that they can use unpublished pages to hold the spots for their hides, rather than shooing away others from the entire town. It seems that an attitude exists that their hides are much better than others and that cachers with lesser experience should not bother to pollute the area with their hides. I also suppose that the event planners want only their caches to be exclusively found by attendees, which smacks of elitism. The point of the event is to get cachers together, not to organize a bunch of people to go out and find only their caches. The more varied hides in a town, the better.

From the guidelines:

6.Event Caches

An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list.

Wow. You'd think with so much thought and energy going into this that someone could have come up with a better approach to the new cachers in the area that would have made them feel included.

I have a puzzle series where the caches (posted coordinated) are arranged in a geo-art type symbol. Long after they were posted, another cacher (new cacher with 27 finds) placed a traditional cache on top of my geo-art. I sent a very nice email requesting that he relocating his cache as a favor to me. He said that my caches had made it hard to find a good place to hide a cache (which is not true, because posted coordinates don't block caches, and there is plenty of space here in rural Texas), and that he would not move it. I was angry, but all I can do is try not to be. He had the right to place a cache there. He is not an avid cacher, and eventually it will go away.