Picture in a Picture

I was just looking at the Picture Perfect Postcards category and noticed so many people had split photos with the postcard and current photo in one image. That seems like an interesting trick to learn, so would someone like to share how it is done? That comes under the area of one of those things I need to learn about to be a "real" waymarker, like html, but never have.

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

first you need a graphic program. I use Paint.NET. It depends on the computer you use. Gimp is another good program.

Paint.NET is freeware. Wikipedia about Paint.NET

First open the picture you like to have as the background/mainpart.

4a19723b-209f-4d78-9717-826c19580731.jpg?rnd=0.7966229

The next step is to open the other picture you like to combine with the first one. If you opened the second picture you could switch between them in the right corner.

56817b89-d946-41dc-b8e5-5378e634f9c9.jpg?rnd=0.2882153

Now you should set the size from the smaller one. (Size..) If the size is what you want, copy the small one, switch to the bigger one and paste.

db1faa8a-10f2-427b-b54f-d703668d5e47.jpg?rnd=0.2930828

Now you could move the smaller one to the place you like and safe the new picture, that's it.

In the beginning you have to try, try and try.

27acc496-79c2-4f3e-bfd6-8387a51034a0.jpg?rnd=0.5289662

The best will be that you try the steps above and ask again if problems pop up.

-lumbricus

Thank you lumbricus! You make it look easy enough for a guy like me to do. I will look for the software after this response.

Your patience in helping me is appreciated. I won't say I'm old, but I did learn to type on an old non-electric typewriter.

Now if I can just remember not to use white-out on the monitor screen... :)

Thanks again,

David

It took a bit to figure out the correct download amid the other software they were offering, but I got it. The learning curve was easier with your guidance. I need to learn more, but it is a start.

I was going to show you the first try, but I need to figure out how to insert a photo here in the forum posts. Another learning opportunity.

I have a busy few days coming up but hope to write and submit a waymark in that category soon now that I have a default photo.

Learning something new is fun. Thank you again.

<snip>

I was going to show you the first try, but I need to figure out how to insert a photo here in the forum posts. Another learning opportunity.

<snip>

Thank you again.

You're welcome.

You have to load up your picture in the internet to show it in the forum.

If you have no webspace you can load it up to your Geocaching profil. You have to go to "Your Account Details". Next step: Click on "Your Avatar and Profile Photo" -> Change

-> upload a new image

Select the file from your computer and click 'upload'

Click on the uploaded picture to get the biggest size. Now you do a right-click on the picture and select: 'Show Grafic Info'

Now you have to copy the whole address: e.g. http://img.geocaching.com/user/e838648d-5164-4014-859a-5d012c49c851.jpg?rnd=0.8360211

This address could now be integrated in the forum with the 'Insert image' button above. Click on the button and paste the image address you copied before.

Thanks to the great advice, my first attempt has been done. You can see the results at WMH0T5, First White House of the Confederacy - Montgomery, AL, at http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMH0T5_First_White_House_of_the_Confederacy_Montgomery_AL

While this is old hat for some of you, I have enjoyed learning something new. Sure, I learned just enough to get the job done, but you gotta start somewhere.

Come to think of it, that is probably one reason why I have enjoyed Waymarking. I have learned so much from visits to waymarks or from the research to post new ones.

I digress. Thanks again.

Edited by BruceS
removed period so link worked