Megellan eXplorist GC - Advice? Firmware 2.15?

As some of you read in an older post, I couldn't upgrade from 1.8 to 2.15. So I'm asking those of you who have 2.15 if it's worth it. Here's why. I contacted Magellan and they were really nice, they told me the 1.8 could not upgrade to the 2.15 so they would replace my BRAND NEW unit with another BRAND NEW unit. They e-mail me today to say they sent out a REFURBISHED unit! I told them, that isn't exactly what I had in mind, because I bought mine on Amazon and it was BRAND NEW! Why would I want to swap a what I have for a refurbished unit, just to gain firmware 2.15? So... is 2.15 worth it and can someone here who has it tell me what it actually upgrade, etc. Much appreciated, thanks! :sunsure:

Just an opinion. If your only purpose is geocaching and geocaching only, and 1.7 (1.8) is working fine, then I say, no, it's not worth the bother of shipping your unit back to get another unit from Magellan. If things like an accurate odometer or the ability to upload additional maps to your unit are important, then yes, you will want 2.15

But if they are shipping you a unit now, perhaps you can compare the units yourself before deciding which unit to send back to Magellan.

Just an opinion. If your only purpose is geocaching and geocaching only, and 1.7 (1.8) is working fine, then I say, no, it's not worth the bother of shipping your unit back to get another unit from Magellan. If things like an accurate odometer or the ability to upload additional maps to your unit are important, then yes, you will want 2.15

But if they are shipping you a unit now, perhaps you can compare the units yourself before deciding which unit to send back to Magellan.

I just hate to take a refurbished and send back a brand new. I was just curious as to what the upgrade added or made better, if anything. The odometer hardly worked at all, I started it, but it only told us how far we went, none of the other stats worked. Not that I need to know how fast I walked, etc., but for the price it should all work. I only use it for geocaching, so at this point and time I have no need for additional maps. I did notice that I had it set to beep at me when we were w/in so many feet from the cache, I think it was 20, and it never beeped. However, if you are just standing around doing nothing it beeps like crazy. Maybe I should read the manual on why it beeps.

The ability to load my own maps made ALL the difference for me. I got a map from maps4me.com ($7 I think) that has all roads, walking trails, contours and great detail. For me the upgrade to 2.15 to be able to get maps made the decision a no-brainer.

Cheers,

Geoff aka Tyreless