How do I Parse the GPX file for Favorites or Travel Bugs?

methylgrace

I would like to try a data graphing exercise by parsing the GPX file for difficulty and terrain ... that's easy, it's 'Groundspeak:difficulty' or 'Groundspeak:terrain'. I wasn't able to find any tag related to favorite, or whether or not the cache had travel bugs in it.

1 - Is there a Groundspeak API that is available for hackers? (I'm not a cracker ... this is just personal curiosity to see if I can display other information than what Geocaching.com displays)

2 - I can't find favorite, or travel bug in the .gpx file. Is there some other way to mine the database? A different file format?

Thanks

I would like to try a data graphing exercise by parsing the GPX file for difficulty and terrain ... that's easy, it's 'Groundspeak:difficulty' or 'Groundspeak:terrain'. I wasn't able to find any tag related to favorite, or whether or not the cache had travel bugs in it.

1 - Is there a Groundspeak API that is available for hackers? (I'm not a cracker ... this is just personal curiosity to see if I can display other information than what Geocaching.com displays)

2 - I can't find favorite, or travel bug in the .gpx file. Is there some other way to mine the database? A different file format?

Thanks

The favorites are not available in a downloded GPX file. Trackables are, you need to look harder.

As far mining the db, I suggest that you read the TOU that you agreed to. Only Groundspeak's "Live" partners are supposed to have access to the api. Hack, crack, whatever you want to call it, you probably shouldn't.

No, not a hacker/cracker ... just an exercise in data visualization ... I would like to learn how to code a new feature that I would submit to Groundspeak ... The feature is that I want to be able to look at a map of an area and see which caches have the most favorites (say, bigger icons or something), so if I'm in a new city, with only an hour or two, I can easily find a great cache.

Besides, Groundspeak really should just hire me ....

Edited by methylgrace

Unfortunately Groundspeak have long since stopped listening to good ideas. A few years ago they did announce a new version of the GPX file format which would contain "Favourite" and "Attribute" information but work on it seems to have been abandoned. These days they spend their time designing washed out colour schemes.

You can parse the travel bug data from the gpx file or alternatively run a PQ with the "Have Travel Bugs" box checked. More interestingly, run a PQ with the "Have not been found" box checked and make yourself an FTF map.

The feature is that I want to be able to look at a map of an area and see which caches have the most favorites (say, bigger icons or something), so if I'm in a new city, with only an hour or two, I can easily find a great cache.

Say you're downtown Denver - ask for caches nearby using Hide and Seek a cache. Put a disance limit on it (8 miles is what I used). Sort by favorites.

It looks like this. Not map based, but available now.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=39.73915&lng=-104.9847&dist=8&sortdir=desc&sort=fav