logging ftf right away

Ok so me and my hunny went for av first to find last week we woke up very early hurried up to get out there and when we found it realized we were fourth to find .. but no one had logged it yet which was completly fine we were happy to he out caching and i was happy to get my other half out of bed so early hehe ... hes such a lazy butt in the morning.... the one who did find it first didn't log it till that nightv... so the other night another new one popped up while I was going through the website within a half hour of being published we were on our way to the cache ... hurray our first ftf ... woohoo! So my question is .. is it ok to wait till the next morning to log the find or should you do it right away so others don't hurry up and think they have a chance to find it first... this is our first ftf so we re notb familiar with the unofficial guidelines :) ... thanks so much

There are no official or unofficial Groundspeak guidelines about how soon FTFs should be logged - It's not something Groundspeak gets involved with.

Some people who have smartphones can log their finds immediately, others who use a hand-held GPS may only be able to do their logging later in the day, and some people who're on holiday in fairly remote places might not catch up on logging until they get home.

Just log as soon as practical for your own circumstances.

MrsB :)

The most considerate thing to do is to log your FTF as soon as you possible. It's not ideal that they waited until evening to log their FTF, but maybe there was a reason.

I understand that the OP is new, and did ask about what the FTF crowd thinks. Fair enough. But they should be aware that some of us would have given a different answer. Such as: I don't care what the FTF crowd thinks. It's no big deal that they waited until evening to log their FTF, and they don't need a reason.

The most considerate thing to do is to log your FTF as soon as you possible. It's not ideal that they waited until evening to log their FTF, but maybe there was a reason.

I understand that the OP is new, and did ask about what the FTF crowd thinks. Fair enough. But they should be aware that some of us would have given a different answer. Such as: I don't care what the FTF crowd thinks. It's no big deal that they waited until evening to log their FTF, and they don't need a reason.

I agree with both points as there are no rules for FTF's. However, if the finder logs the FTF right away I've noticed that sometimes the cache can remain dormant for a bit thereafter. Whereas, if the FTF has not been logged immediately the cache receives more activity, which would appeal to the CO. FTF's are popular up in my area.

Edited by luvvinbird

There are some people that never log their finds online, there are some that have limited internet access (only at work) and may not be able to log until the next day or after the weekend, there are some that really don't care about the FTF game and thus will log when convenient, there are some that deliberately want to be jerks.

All are valid reasons for choosing when to log your find. In the end, it doesn't matter. You got out, found a cache, and got a smilely. The FTF is a bonus if you get it.

Like Luvvinbird, we've noticed that when FTF's gone, a cache may sit a while.

I did one a while ago that sat for three weeks after I FTF it.

- That of course goes against the thinking of others that FTF is a played by few side game. :D

I'll log when I get home. Usually wordy and fat-fingered, the phone didn't cut it for me.

When I get home could be after shopping or something.

There is no timeframe, no guideline of when to log.

You log online when you can.

Some who've played for years never log at all.

You should log a FTF before the following day. There are many who log them instantaneously. The problem with that is that some cachers get used to instant FTF logs, then a FTFer comes along who lives a few hours away and has no smartphone. By the time they get home to log it, there is an angry STFer log on the page complaining that they drove out to find something that was found already. :rolleyes: Yes, there are a few who do that.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I will log my Finds as soon as it is convenient for me, regardless of whether or not a FTF is in play. Sometimes that might be right in the field from my phone, other times that might be several days later if I am on vacation with limited internet access. It all depends on my situation.

I will log my Finds as soon as it is convenient for me, regardless of whether or not a FTF is in play. Sometimes that might be right in the field from my phone, other times that might be several days later if I am on vacation with limited internet access. It all depends on my situation.

Exactly the correct answer. I've gotten an FTF and then headed off on a long road trip and didn't log any of my finds until the next day. Just because there is no online log doesn't mean it hasn't been found before you get there. :D

Don't get sucked into the FTF thing. The only FTF on a cache is the CO who First found the spot and then First found the container that s/he hid in that spot. Everyone else is treading on used ground and it doesn't matter a bit. From my observations, people who don't worry about FTF are much happier cachers. The FTF chasers can be downright grumpy and rude people. I know of one FTF chaser who was dashing after a FTF and ran into a friend of mine on the trail just 100 yards from the cache. The FTF chaser saw the other guy's GPSr and asked if he found it. The guy says, "yes, it's just right up the trail and very easy to find". The FTF guy gets ticked off and turns around to head back to his car without even going to the cache for the "2nd".

You log your caches online whenever you get the opportunity to do so. Do NOT rush back to the computer just to log FTF, but then don't intentionally sit in front of the computer and NOT post your log in an effort to trick others into playing the FTF game. I'd recommend that you treat a FTF cache exactly like you'd treat every other cache that has already been logged.

Thanks so much to all of you for your answers .. that clears a lot up ... we have only been to two really new ones and it seemed from what other people were writing in their logs that they were waiting for the ftf log to be posted before they put theirs up so I wasn't sure if that's something you should do right away or if it was ok to log it when you normally would thanks again :)

When I go after an FTF my assumption is that someone can beat me to it. When I get to the cache it either has a blank log or some has alread signed the log book. It doesn't matter if the person that signed was there 5 minutes before me or if they found it the night before and didn't get around to logging it online.

Geocaching is a game where some people seem to like to make up rules to accomodate their personal method of play. They've decided that when going after a FTF you are obligated to inform the other FTF seekers so that they can sleep in late if they don't have any real chance to claim the FTF. My opinion is that if you desire the FTF so much that you wake up early to find it, you should have no expectation that others have bent over backward to tell you to stay in bed becuase they went out in the middle of the night and found the cache. What geocaching doesn't need is more made up rules to satisfy someone's sense of entitlement.

When I go after an FTF my assumption is that someone can beat me to it. When I get to the cache it either has a blank log or some has alread signed the log book. It doesn't matter if the person that signed was there 5 minutes before me or if they found it the night before and didn't get around to logging it online.

Geocaching is a game where some people seem to like to make up rules to accomodate their personal method of play. They've decided that when going after a FTF you are obligated to inform the other FTF seekers so that they can sleep in late if they don't have any real chance to claim the FTF. My opinion is that if you desire the FTF so much that you wake up early to find it, you should have no expectation that others have bent over backward to tell you to stay in bed becuase they went out in the middle of the night and found the cache. What geocaching doesn't need is more made up rules to satisfy someone's sense of entitlement.

wow I agree special the last line what geocaching doesn't need is more made up rules to satisfy someone's sense of entitlement

I will log a FTF as soon as I can, but sometimes I am on a road trip or perhaps I do not have a fancy phone. Some folks only log their caches in libraries when they get off work, there are many reasons. Course there are a few chowderheads who will deliberately delay logging their FTFs to make folks disappointed but I would hope they are few and far between.

Its not just FTFs but trackables. I logged a TB out 2 days after I grabbed it as I was on vacation and the CO marked it missing within 24 hours. I mean sheesh.

In a perfect world, it would be nice to log FTFs and trackables immediately but its not going to happen.

No, it's neither considerate nor inconsiderate. It is part of the FTF game. If you don't like it you shouldn't be playing. Because no matter how hard I try, I won't be able to log it soon enough for someone. I am not much of a FTF hound anymore but when I was, the same thing happened to me time and time again. Guess what? I kept trying for the next one.

THANK YOU DAN. Like.

The most conscientious practice I've seen is to log the find in the field immediately with the smartphone, and then if you have lots to say, edit the log entry at home on your computer.

^^^ This ^^^

Don't understand why a person would withhold a FTF log as a means to encourage more finders on a cache :blink:

When I go out for FTF I am very aware that the ratio of pollution my car pumps into the atmosphere to the number of caches I'll find when I reach my destination is grossly inefficient and perhaps even irresponsible of me - all that fuel just for one find :unsure:

If someone beats me to it and posts a note I'm then more likely to combine finding that one cache with a bunch of others nearby at some future date - maybe even when I happen to be near that location for some other primary purpose - thus effectively making fewer trips, burning less fuel per cache, and being more environmentally friendly.

So when those of us who like to post a note right after the find to save others setting out for FTF, we're not doing it just so they can stay in bed longer - there's actually other, perhaps more responsible reasons for doing so - and it's a friendly and polite thing to do too - so I for one will continue doing it :)

I guess I would say I understand the FTF crowd to a point of knowing I am being considerate to some great cachers if I post as quickly as possible. I actually tried a thread about trying to be a FTF hound in April to understand. Tried it twice w/o success. I see a difference between not going crazy about logging immediately and deliberately delaying because one thinks it's cool to ignore a side game.

I log a FTF (not that go out to get many these days) when I can. While I cache with a smartphone sometimes, I do not wish to type out log *at all* on it (and I personally don't like the practice of logging "FTF, More later", or "found..more later"). If I am out caching for the day, and then have other things planned afterwards, it may be several hours before I can get to it. Sorry, but that's how I roll.

Back in the day, there were no smartphones, so people logged when they got home, and FTF chasers knew there the very distinct possibility that someone else got there first. And they accepted that as part of the FTF game. If you cannot accept that you may have run out in your pjs at midnight only to be skunked by someone else, you need to stay home and stop chasing FTFs. Even with smartphones, you could be steps from the cache when you get the log that someone else just found it.

You still the smiley when you find it, right?

Back in the day, there were no smartphones, so people logged when they got home, and FTF chasers knew there the very distinct possibility that someone else got there first. And they accepted that as part of the FTF game.

And, by and large, they still do but hey - if you have the means to do so about your person, why not 'spike the ball' right at GZ :D

Back in the day, there were no smartphones, so people logged when they got home, and FTF chasers knew there the very distinct possibility that someone else got there first. And they accepted that as part of the FTF game.

And, by and large, they still do but hey - if you have the means to do so about your person, why not 'spike the ball' right at GZ :D

Exactly. For example, we've got a guy here who's really into FTFs at the moment. He drives across town for them. If a new cache comes out in my area and I get there 1st, for sure, I'm going to go home and log it right away, just to be courteous to him. Sure, he could handle it if I didn't, but why would I not log it right away if I could? It's kind of thoughtless not to, IMO.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I'm heading off right now to two that haven't been found in three days.

Nice six mile or so four terrain walk with bushwacking involved.

Rather than concern myself that some thoughtless sob didn't log in yet, I plan on having a nice coupla hours and assume FTF has already been taken (as we always do).

Exactly my feelings. I enjoy writing my logs, and will do so when I have the time to sit and think about my words.

Sometimes I won't get around to it for a few days.

The most conscientious practice I've seen is to log the find in the field immediately with the smartphone, and then if you have lots to say, edit the log entry at home on your computer.

Sorry, but I don't use my phone to log caches. Ever. I rarely use it to find caches either.

And when I am out caching, I would rather take the time to go find another one rather than take the time to post crappy logs from the field.

Because for me it's about getting out to find caches and have fun. Not 'spike the ball' and saying nyah nyah to my fellow cachers.

Sorry, but I don't use my phone to log caches. Ever. I rarely use it to find caches either.

And when I am out caching, I would rather take the time to go find another one rather than take the time to post crappy logs from the field.

Are you assuming that everyone of us who take the time to post a note at GZ write crappy logs? Really? It's not possible that we get home and take the time to write a good log after the event? Are you sure?

Because for me it's about getting out to find caches and have fun. Not 'spike the ball' and saying nyah nyah to my fellow cachers.

And jumping to conclusions apparently.

Ever heard of friendly rivalry with your peers?

Or even just friendly? :blink:

I've seen other users suspect that some geocachers will wait intentionally to log FTF so others will still think an opportunity for FTF is still available. I, however, think it is inconsiderate to do so and you should log right away.

I'll log it when I darn well please, no matter what you assume my reasons are.

you = the collective you

Edited by bflentje

Ok so me and my hunny went for av first to find last week we woke up very early hurried up to get out there and when we found it realized we were fourth to find .. but no one had logged it yet which was completly fine we were happy to he out caching and i was happy to get my other half out of bed so early hehe ... hes such a lazy butt in the morning.... the one who did find it first didn't log it till that nightv... so the other night another new one popped up while I was going through the website within a half hour of being published we were on our way to the cache ... hurray our first ftf ... woohoo! So my question is .. is it ok to wait till the next morning to log the find or should you do it right away so others don't hurry up and think they have a chance to find it first... this is our first ftf so we re notb familiar with the unofficial guidelines :) ... thanks so much

Ftf to me is not part of the game so I'd post when ever you shouldn't have to rush just becausw people created a side game that has no rules really.if they don't like it than don't play the game

I have been known to pick up a FTF or two and I never log them in the field, even though I can. I am out there to cache, not take care of bookkeeping. The way I look at it, if you play the FTF game you must go into it assuming you might have been beaten to the punch.

In other words, I will not stop everything and log my FTF just to placate anyone who might get their precious wittle feewings hurt if they get there and find themselves second. I will log it when it is convenient for me, and not a minute earlier.

For example, we've got a guy here who's really into FTFs at the moment. He drives across town for them. If a new cache comes out in my area and I get there 1st, for sure, I'm going to go home and log it right away, just to be courteous to him. Sure, he could handle it if I didn't, but why would I not log it right away if I could? It's kind of thoughtless not to, IMO.

While I agree with your conclusion, to be honest, the fact that someone in the area is hot for FTFs would be a reason for me to drag my feet just so they could learn to cool their jets. But I probably wouldn't for the sake of everyone else.

I'd recommend that you treat a FTF cache exactly like you'd treat every other cache that has already been logged.

That's how I go about it. To my way of thinking, the hobby I am participating in is called geocaching, not FTFing. If Groundspeak ever gets officially involved in the FTF aspect of this hobby, and dictates some rules or guidelines suggesting courses of action, I might reconsider. Till then, it's just another adventure. Like all of my finds, I log them when I can, without regard for those folks who are so desperate to introduce competition into every aspect of their lives that they feel the need to bring it here as well.

If you, (the collective 'you'), wish to play some bizarre side game whilst participating in this fun, relaxing hobby, feel free. Just don't be so inconsiderate as to expect me to change my routine to satisfy your sense of entitlement.

Edited by Clan Riffster
I'd recommend that you treat a FTF cache exactly like you'd treat every other cache that has already been logged.

That's how I go about it. To my way of thinking, the hobby I am participating in is called geocaching, not FTFing. If Groundspeak ever gets officially involved in the FTF aspect of this hobby, and dictates some rules or guidelines suggesting courses of action, I might reconsider. Till then, it's just another adventure. Like all of my finds, I log them when I can, without regard for those folks who are so desperate to introduce competition into every aspect of their lives that they feel the need to bring it here as well.

If you, (the collective 'you'), wish to play some bizarre side game whilst participating in this fun, relaxing hobby, feel free. Just don't be so inconsiderate as to expect me to change my routine to satisfy your sense of entitlement.

Yippee skippy. +1. Like.

First of all, I'm fine with whatever you want to do. I agree it's up to you, and for me personally, I really don't care whether any FTF is posted quickly.

Having said that, declaring a perfectly reasonable activity "bizarre" just because you don't do it is kind of little. And I'll be happy to support your accusation of entitlement with the proper evidence, but I resent being accused of it myself by being collected into that "you". You cannot be nice in this situation, I get that, but you are suggesting it wouldn't even be reasonable to be nice to someone who's playing a simple side game that you aren't participating in.

And, by the way, I really feel bad that FTFing leads to nothing but tension in your area. Around here, the FTF hunt is no less relaxing that any other aspect of the game. I assume that's why you have such a universal aversion to it.

For example, we've got a guy here who's really into FTFs at the moment. He drives across town for them. If a new cache comes out in my area and I get there 1st, for sure, I'm going to go home and log it right away, just to be courteous to him. Sure, he could handle it if I didn't, but why would I not log it right away if I could? It's kind of thoughtless not to, IMO.

While I agree with your conclusion, to be honest, the fact that someone in the area is hot for FTFs would be a reason for me to drag my feet just so they could learn to cool their jets. But I probably wouldn't for the sake of everyone else.

I'm sure he'll slow down on his own. I've seen other people driving across town for FTFs and eventually they stop. In the meantime, it's kind of amusing for me to watch as I've put out some new caches recently, including one called "under where?". Have to giggle at someone driving across town in the dark for that. :laughing:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Struggling to understand this, so I tried to put myself in your shoes :blink:

Unless a cache goes unfound, someone has to be FTF - so how do I choose my target? Do I target anyone who goes for FTF or just someone who surpasses some arbitrary threshold of numbers of FTF's?

Assumuing I select an abitrary threshold beyond which I need to teach someone to cool their jets, presumably I have to dash out myself, beat them to FTF and then drag my feet when it comes to logging? Sounds like a lot of effort to go to.

How do I know when to stop? Do I need to watch for my 'student' logging 2TF and wait until they stop doing that and take that as some indicator that they've learned their lesson? What if they don't give up? Do I keep on beating them to FTF until they learn? If in doing so I surpass the FTF threshold I set for others, do I become the one needing to be taught to cool my jets?

And assuming I'm 'successful' and that cacher learns their lesson, presumably I go onto the next cacher who surpasses my arbitrary threshold for acceptable FTF numbers?

Where does it all end?

And who is 'everyone else'? presumably those people who have fewer FTF's than my arbitrary threshold?

99.9% of the time when my wife and I go caching we leave in the morning and cache all day. All finds, FTF and others, are logged that night. I have an iPhone but don't know how to log from it and don't want to learn how....I enjoy my time in the field and don't want to waste it entering data in my phone.

A couple points of clarification;

Having said that, declaring a perfectly reasonable activity "bizarre" just because you don't do it is kind of little.

You probably should not make assumptions like that. There are many things I do not participate in, which I do not find bizarre. Likewise, there are some things i do participate in which the majority would find bizarre, to include using multi-billion dollar military satellites to hunt tor Tupperware. My reason for applying the bizarre descriptive had naught to do with my degree of participation.

And I'll be happy to support your accusation of entitlement with the proper evidence, but I resent being accused of it myself by being collected into that "you".

Only you can lump yourself into that particular group. As noted in the aforementioned statement, the collective does not include every single person on the planet.

You cannot be nice in this situation, I get that,

Actually, that was being nice.

I usually am.

When I am not nice, mtn-man throws bricks at me.

but you are suggesting it wouldn't even be reasonable to be nice to someone who's playing a simple side game that you aren't participating in.

Actually, I am suggesting no such thing.

Please read what I wrote and try again.

And, by the way, I really feel bad that FTFing leads to nothing but tension in your area.

I'm not sure where you dredged up this assumption.

Perhaps you could provide a link?

I assume that's why you have such a universal aversion to it.

I wasn't aware that I had a universal aversion to the FTF silliness. Granted, I seldom participate in that unsanctioned side game. But seldom hardly equals never. I'm not sure how many finds I have. 1500? 1600? Somewhere in that neighborhood. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe a dozen of those were FTFs? Maybe? If I had a universal aversion, as you claim, that number would be zero. It would be more accurate to say it holds very little interest for me.

As you inferred in the start of your post, to each there own.

If you wish to do something which I think is really neat, good for you. I might join you in such an endeavor. However, if you wish to do something which I think is really silly, again, good for you. I probably won't join you.

Unless a cache goes unfound, someone has to be FTF - so how do I choose my target?

The target chooses itself. Only one person (in our hypothetical) is hot for FTFs, so that person runs out every time, and then half the time he finds the cache already signed because of a slow FTF. If he's really irrationally hot, that will be discouraging.

People less excited about FTFs will be bothered less, if at all.

As I said, I wouldn't actually do this. I was just contesting the logic that suggested being more prompt because there's someone hot-to-trot for FTFs dashing around after every one.

This is the second reason (1st was notifications of hides I wouldn't do) I gave up my smartphone.

It's a real pain in the can to be wordy using a phone with tired old eyes and fat fingers.

It made no sense to me to log something brief, then "fix it" later at home.

The "FTF Game" comes with the assumption that others will be playing the game the way they see fit.

Some log right away. Some can't. Some won't. Some don't. One simply needs to be prepared for the "disappointment" of logging a cache after someone has found it first. If you can't accept that you might not be FTF, no matter how hard you try, you're bound for some sadness.

We can't control others, and Groundspeak isn't about to write guidelines about some side game. (Goodness me, could you imagine if they started to write guidelines for every single side game out there related to geocaching?!) :blink: All we can do is find caches. If we want to find them first, we all need to settle down and get realistic about the side game of FTF hounding. People are people. There are many personalities out there, and there ain't one of them you can control.

This is the second reason (1st was notifications of hides I wouldn't do) I gave up my smartphone.

It's a real pain in the can to be wordy using a phone with tired old eyes and fat fingers.

It made no sense to me to log something brief, then "fix it" later at home.

And usually with the "found it - more later" logs, the "more later" never comes.

It is nice to log a FTF right away. If you're going to make a really short log ("FTF! TFTC!") then just field log the darn thing. But some folks simply have other things to do besides log their caches right away, especially if they found many other caches that day and/or had other things to do (ex: FTF on the way to work) and/or actually wanted to write a decent log when they got home later.

There are some folks who will intentionally delay FTF logging just to sucker others. I don't think such behavior is very nice, but I think those folks are in the minority.

Unless a cache goes unfound, someone has to be FTF - so how do I choose my target?

The target chooses itself. Only one person (in our hypothetical) is hot for FTFs, so that person runs out every time, and then half the time he finds the cache already signed because of a slow FTF. If he's really irrationally hot, that will be discouraging.

As I said, I wouldn't actually do this. I was just contesting the logic that suggested being more prompt because there's someone hot-to-trot for FTFs dashing around after every one.

Who cares if someone is running out for every FTF. Why anyone would feel the need to "put out that fire" is beyond me. Let them be as irrational as they want, it's not impacting you at all.

Who cares if someone is running out for every FTF. Why anyone would feel the need to "put out that fire" is beyond me. Let them be as irrational as they want, it's not impacting you at all.

In what way would I be stopping them from being as irrational as they want?

Keep in mind, the original comment would encourage them to be irrational. My point was merely that perhaps it would make more sense, if you did anything, to discourage them from being irrational.

The target chooses itself? Reminded me of Silence Of The Lambs - It takes the lotion and rubs it on its skin. It does this whenever it is told. :lol:

The target chooses itself how? Simply by enjoying the fun of FTF too much and surpassing your arbitrary threshold?

Assuming the target isn't aware of this process, I don't see how they can be said to have chosen themselves for a side-game they've absolutely no knowledge of?

As for the idea that taking part in a race for FTF is in some way bizarre - I blame schools! :P

When I was a kid in school we used to have a sports day every year where we were all encouraged to race each other - the egg-and-spoon race was one of my favourites but I also enjoyed the sack race and the three-legged-race (which didn't as you might think require the participants to be mutants - you just had one of your legs secured to the opposite leg of your race partner and ran the race together).

As if it wasn't bad enough encouraging kids to engage in these bizarre games there was also a parents race! Madness I tell you - and now we've all grown up thinking taking part in a race is fun! :blink:

The full realisation of the horror we've been subjected to has just hit me. Sorry - I'm going to have to lie down for a little while :lol:

I will log a FTF as soon as I can, but sometimes I am on a road trip or perhaps I do not have a fancy phone. Some folks only log their caches in libraries when they get off work, there are many reasons. Course there are a few chowderheads who will deliberately delay logging their FTFs to make folks disappointed but I would hope they are few and far between.

<snip>(I don't do trackables -- MountainWoods)</snip>

In a perfect world, it would be nice to log FTFs and trackables immediately but its not going to happen.

Amen. I have to get to a computer to log anything. I'm not being inconsiderate if I don't log my FTF immediately, because I may not be able to get to a computer for hours or even days.

I haven't gotten entirely sucked up into the FTF side game; but I do try to log all of my finds as soon as I can, FTF or not.