Good God man...

BAIN!

FYI - I placed a new container at the same location this morning with 3 recovered Travel Bugs inside from the evidence bag I obtained from the Oregon State Police. and Yes its a clear container, its is marked on the outside and it STILL has a "gimmick"... although its not at cool IMO as it use to be. I might have to use the same idea of the previous container in a new remote location.

SO ITS BACK UP AND RUNNING!

That would be cool to find. Since I live in your area. :)

Feel fortunate that you don't live in one of the states which prohibit rest area caches, like VA DOT or the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Found this very interesting as I knew we had found caches at Service Plaza on the PA Turnpike.

Even more interesting, those caches caches are still there, but disabled by a Reviewer pending

review by the PTA (for nearly a year), yet they are being found by cachers on a regular basis.

a proud DGS member

What does that mean?

Let's just say that many in the DGS believe in caching without borders, quite literally, and have no problem armchair logging caches on the other side of the country or halfway around the world. Or, in this case, on a cache that wasn't there when they logged a find (edit: when they were apparently sitting in North Carolina).

Don't forget about that infamous quote by one of the DGS members. :ph34r:

Hiding an ammo can in an interstate rest area is a bad idea. Same goes for shopping center or heavily traveled urban park. And no, they are not going to check if there are Geocaches in the area because there is no way for them to determine if it is really a cache without having a robot x-ray it, plus they probably need the practice and overtime.

I disagree that hiding ammo cans in rest areas is bad, they are great containers but never around trafficked areas, which means in most rest areas. Very few rest areas are large enough to get far enough away, but I have found ammo cans in some that were. But to hide any closed container that could conceal explosives near a heavily trafficked area, such as bushes near restrooms in rest area or in shopping center nooks, is asking trouble like this.

We live in a world where cowardly persons purposely try to maim and hurt others through explosives in the name of an agenda. The best effect of this comes only in crowded areas, blowing up rocks in the woods won't get the news coverage desired. Keep this in mind when hiding caches, not just ammo cans but with caches the uninformed COULD mistake as a pipe bomb or mislaid firearm, for example. In populated areas, see-into and non-threatening containers are called for. Please, think when hiding.

Hiding an ammo can in an interstate rest area is a bad idea. Same goes for shopping center or heavily traveled urban park. And no, they are not going to check if there are Geocaches in the area because there is no way for them to determine if it is really a cache without having a robot x-ray it, plus they probably need the practice and overtime.

I disagree that hiding ammo cans in rest areas is bad, they are great containers but never around trafficked areas, which means in most rest areas. Very few rest areas are large enough to get far enough away, but I have found ammo cans in some that were. But to hide any closed container that could conceal explosives near a heavily trafficked area, such as bushes near restrooms in rest area or in shopping center nooks, is asking trouble like this.

We live in a world where cowardly persons purposely try to maim and hurt others through explosives in the name of an agenda. The best effect of this comes only in crowded areas, blowing up rocks in the woods won't get the news coverage desired. Keep this in mind when hiding caches, not just ammo cans but with caches the uninformed COULD mistake as a pipe bomb or mislaid firearm, for example. In populated areas, see-into and non-threatening containers are called for. Please, think when hiding.

Ammo cans are great containers, but not in heavily trafficked areas like you said. This one was in a tree and visible to anyone nearby. Add the factor of someone acting suspicious around it and it equals a bad idea. Perhaps in a wooded area out back would be better, but overall ammo containers in these places are bad PR. A opaque plastic jug might have the same explosive capability, but the sound of ammo container in a rest area does not look good in a news article.