Good God man...

BAIN!

Why can't all police stations just check to see if there is a geocache there before closing down a whole area?

Who's to say that there can't be a bomb in the same area. Or a bomb IN the cache. What about mysteries? Multis? Caches not published yet, or caches published on other sites, or not at all.

I talked to the local Explosive Ordnance Disposal officer, and he brought up these points. He also said if the cache itself looks to be explosive(Military containers such as ammo cans, rocket tubes) that in and of itself could be the reason for the call. And if they find something military colors marked explosive, or do not disturb-they will assume it is what it says.

Now He also said if it appears to be near a geocache he could call in one of the members of the service that geocache to come check on it. The still have to respond, but know it could be a cache is the difference between evacuating the area to be careful, and sending in firetrucks and blowing the cache up.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Also should say the cache is(was?) an ammo can. Do you know what those are made to hold? Bullets. Do know what else they are popular for? Gunpowder/small explosives. I was told by the police officer (See my first post) that no Police officer, firefighter, or military personnel would ever think of opening a container like that, found in a "random spot" let alone opening one and not finding some form of explosive. Said we were nuts. (And he got to blow up a car just because there was an old car and some extra explosives from training)

Also should say the cache is(was?) an ammo can. Do you know what those are made to hold? Bullets. Do know what else they are popular for? Gunpowder/small explosives. I was told by the police officer (See my first post) that no Police officer, firefighter, or military personnel would ever think of opening a container like that, found in a "random spot" let alone opening one and not finding some form of explosive. Said we were nuts. (And he got to blow up a car just because there was an old car and some extra explosives from training)

Unless said ammo can was listed as a geocache on a popular site.

All of our larger hides are ammo cans and have been found by Police Officers, Firefighters and Military personnel and (I guess) just "regular" folks like you too.

Edited by cerberus1

Unless said ammo can was listed as a geocach on a popular site.

All of our larger hides are ammo cans and have been found by Police Officers, Firefighters and Military personnel and (I guess) just plain folks like you too.

That's why I said random spot. They find one near a military base-assume it has ammo in it. The look for a geocache that's an ammo can-well they are going to open the can. Think of it like this-you wouldn't drink from a bottle that says poison, unless you have a GOOD reason to think it's not poison(Maybe its a prop for a movie)

As the owner of this cache - I'm sorry this happened.... I 'm currently planning on getting another one made. but this will be the third one I've placed here and its not "easy" to get the gimmick inside to work properly.

No worries. I'm glad they didn't blow it up. I don't head south on I5 too often so I've never been to this cache, but having just read the description, I'm intrigued now. :) If you're able to get it back up and running, I'll have to plan a caching trip that direction.

I'm currently planning on getting another one made.

I expect you'll be making sure the new one is well-labelled? From the way they worded the story, it sounds like the one they removed wasn't labelled. Remember, that simple labelling can help avoid such scenarios involving significant law enforcement resources and public inconvenience.

Probably a good idea to use a clear container (for this one) as the Oregon State Police did mention, "Oregon State Police urge anyone participating in geocaching to use transparent containers and clearly label them as a geocache."

- You don't want to go through the same incident again.

Save your ammo cans for out-in-the-woods hides that don't see much muggle traffic.

Unless said ammo can was listed as a geocach on a popular site.

All of our larger hides are ammo cans and have been found by Police Officers, Firefighters and Military personnel and (I guess) just plain folks like you too.

That's why I said random spot. They find one near a military base-assume it has ammo in it. The look for a geocache that's an ammo can-well they are going to open the can. Think of it like this-you wouldn't drink from a bottle that says poison, unless you have a GOOD reason to think it's not poison(Maybe its a prop for a movie)

That was my point.

Your off-topic post on ammo cans being in a "random spot" had nothing to do with this particular cache

Probably a good idea to use a clear container (for this one) as the Oregon State Police did mention, "Oregon State Police urge anyone participating in geocaching to use transparent containers and clearly label them as a geocache."

- You don't want to go through the same incident again.

Save your ammo cans for out-in-the-woods hides that don't see much muggle traffic.

CO says its difficult to get the "gimmick inside" to work properly....that makes me think that whatever mechanism is in there might not fit/work in a lock n lock type container.

Well, at least they didn't blow it up.

That was probably less because it was properly identified as a Geocache and more because they didn't want to harm the tree 🌳

Edited by Chief301

Hiding an ammo can in an interstate rest area is a bad idea. Same goes for shopping center or heavily traveled urban park. And no, they are not going to check if there are Geocaches in the area because there is no way for them to determine if it is really a cache without having a robot x-ray it, plus they probably need the practice and overtime.

Hold up guys! Gilbert and Poindexter say we have to check all of the related websites to see if its listed online before we blow it up! There's Geocaching.com, Opencaching.com, Atlasquest, and a few others. They say it could also be the final to a multi or a puzzle! Let's grab some coffee and have a crack team get on to solving some of them! :rolleyes:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Hiding an ammo can in an interstate rest area is a bad idea. Same goes for shopping center or heavily traveled urban park. And no, they are not going to check if there are Geocaches in the area because there is no way for them to determine if it is really a cache without having a robot x-ray it, plus they probably need the practice and overtime.

Hold up guys! Gilbert and Poindexter say we have to check all of the related websites to see if its listed online before we blow it up! There's Geocaching.com, Opencaching.com, Atlasquest, and a few others. They say it could also be the final to a multi or a puzzle! Let's grab some coffee and have a crack team get on to solving some of them! :rolleyes:

It's simpler than that.

Dispatch: Respond to xyz location.

Bomb squad: Yay, we get to blow sumthin' up!

I'm currently planning on getting another one made.

I expect you'll be making sure the new one is well-labelled? From the way they worded the story, it sounds like the one they removed wasn't labelled. Remember, that simple labelling can help avoid such scenarios involving significant law enforcement resources and public inconvenience.

I'm not convinced that simply putting a GC label on it is going to eliminate suspicion. Sure, it might help...but depending on where it's placed, I figure LEOs probably go with the 'better safe than sorry' philosophy. In crowded areas, ammo cans probably are not the most appropriate container. Being a rest area, it doesn't seem like much of a threat and a label likely would have helped.

Problem is, if you were unfamiliar with the game and saw someone from 50 yards away hiding what looked like a military ammunition box, you probably aren't going to get near enough to it to read about geocaching...you'd likely just phone it in.

That was my point.

Your off-topic post on ammo cans being in a "random spot" had nothing to do with this particular cache

OK. Let me try to clarify. I said "random" notice the quotation marks. TO the non-caching police officer the place they found the cache is random-no reason for an ammo can to be there. To police officer who caches-it might have been a great hiding place except that a muggle had found it.

My point was that there are many reasons why the police-even if they know there is a geocache nearby-still have to check it out. And finding this type of container in a place that it normally wouldn't be found-as opposed to finding these containers in a surplus store, or army base-would give them more reason to check it out.

Also should say the cache is(was?) an ammo can. Do you know what those are made to hold? Bullets. Do know what else they are popular for? Gunpowder/small explosives. I was told by the police officer (See my first post) that no Police officer, firefighter, or military personnel would ever think of opening a container like that, found in a "random spot" let alone opening one and not finding some form of explosive. Said we were nuts.

So how often are dangerous ammo cans found in public areas? Does he think we're nuts because he can imagine someone putting something evil in an ammo can and leaving it out where people can find it? Or are there actual incidences he can point me to where an ammo can in a rest area or a shopping mall did or could have hurt someone?

I'm not objecting to the authorities being excessively cautious, I'm just curious about whether ammo cans are an actual problem or just a hypothetical problem.

All these agencies are likely on a high state of alert following the recent tragedy in Boston. Plus, they just had the nearby Eugene Marathon over the same weekend that they found this -- and I'm sure security was on everyone's mind. I really like the ammo can caches, but agree that a rest stop with its high foot traffic probably isn't the best spot for one. On the flip side, there just isn't as much excitement finding a plain old clear Lock 'n' Lock.

KGW News Article

As the owner of this Geocache - the local authories have contacted me (via email) asking if I wanted the contents of the geocache. So, I called them; they said they will not release the container, but I can pick up the contents. From the description of the items it appears there are atleast (2) Travel Bugs / Geo-coins in there. So I'm going to try to go get those and and get this location back up and running.

For those that don't know. the cache across I-5 at the southbound rest stop has had problems from day 1 for me. I think I've replaced it about 5 times. I have abandoned that one - as I can't keep a simple pill bottle there. this is the second incident for the north bound rest stop. but this cache is special as it has a gimmick inside (hence the 50 favorite points). when you open it - it start playing music, amplified by the large metal ammo can, from a spring wound music box. its a PITA to get it working correctly - hence the reason for a metal container and not a clear plastic one. since the first one was stolen - I decided to beat the crap out of this one with a sledge hammer to make it ugly and add more camoflauged ... apparently that didn't work.

for the next one - I'm still going to try to install a gimmick inside - but I need to collect the parts again to see if I can. worst case - it will just turn into a boring 4x4 lock box.... bleh.

Edited by 4RnrRick
I can pick up the contents. From the description of the items it appears there are atleast (2) Travel Bugs / Geo-coins in there.

That's pretty cool! I figured the listed Trackables were goners. Did the finders wind up the music box, or did opening the lid do that?

There was an electronic music box in a can of Christmas cookies I received one time. Open the can, and a light sensor starts the music. It was a little magnetic circuit card powered by a watch battery, and I've never seen another like it. Maybe it's no good for your cache, nor for a transparent box cache, but I've considered similar devices.

Edited by kunarion

As the owner of this Geocache - the local authories have contacted me (via email) asking if I wanted the contents of the geocache. So, I called them; they said they will not release the container, but I can pick up the contents. From the description of the items it appears there are atleast (2) Travel Bugs / Geo-coins in there. So I'm going to try to go get those and and get this location back up and running.

For those that don't know. the cache across I-5 at the southbound rest stop has had problems from day 1 for me. I think I've replaced it about 5 times. I have abandoned that one - as I can't keep a simple pill bottle there. this is the second incident for the north bound rest stop. but this cache is special as it has a gimmick inside (hence the 50 favorite points). when you open it - it start playing music, amplified by the large metal ammo can, from a spring wound music box. its a PITA to get it working correctly - hence the reason for a metal container and not a clear plastic one. since the first one was stolen - I decided to beat the crap out of this one with a sledge hammer to make it ugly and add more camoflauged ... apparently that didn't work.

for the next one - I'm still going to try to install a gimmick inside - but I need to collect the parts again to see if I can. worst case - it will just turn into a boring 4x4 lock box.... bleh.

You can get large lock n locks or maybe just stick to little plastic vials - they're all the rage nowadays. <_< Sorry for your trouble!

Did they give you their rational for releasing the contents but not the container?

At any rate, in light of recent events, I'd reconsider hiding a metal container in a spot that is visited by 1000's of people daily.

OK...but why keeping hiding it at the rest stop? Can it be hidden elsewhere? Somewhere with less muggle traffic?

OK...but why keeping hiding it at the rest stop? Can it be hidden elsewhere? Somewhere with less muggle traffic?

It has 50 favorite points for being unique in a high traffic area. It sounds like a cool cache that should be hidden deep in the woods, and a lousy idea to keep it there. But without the traffic I suppose the owner realizes it would not collect all the points. Unknown hidden mechanical or electrical equipment is a very bad idea in places like that. The next time they get called out they very well may press charges, as he is now aware of the mayhem that can ensue and continues on anyhow. :unsure:

Did the finders wind up the music box, or did opening the lid do that?

Opening the lid would start the music. the finders would be responsible for keeping it wound - but not over wound.

Did they give you their rational for releasing the contents but not the container?

Not yet, as I haven't got the contents back yet, only a breif phone conversation.

OK...but why keeping hiding it at the rest stop? ... Somewhere with less muggle traffic?

I could - but I'm still willing to give this spot another attempt. I just thought it would be a neat idea in a high traffic area were that random traveller would stop and get lucky with a cool cache. hence the 50 favorite points - I assume.

I now know that these high traffic area's need containers that are better marked on the outside.

a proud DGS member

What does that mean?

Let's just say that many in the DGS believe in caching without borders, quite literally, and have no problem armchair logging caches on the other side of the country or halfway around the world. Or, in this case, on a cache that wasn't there when they logged a find (edit: when they were apparently sitting in North Carolina).

Edited by hzoi

a proud DGS member

What does that mean?

Let's just say that many in the DGS believe in caching without borders, quite literally, and have no problem armchair logging caches on the other side of the country or halfway around the world. Or, in this case, on a cache that wasn't there when they logged a find (edit: when they were apparently sitting in North Carolina).

DGS = Dirtbag Geocaching Society

I don't know about all that. There aren't really any active DGS in my area to say with authority that's the exception or the rule.

However, they have some great graphic artists on their side. I have quite liked some of their postings on fb.

a proud DGS member

What does that mean?

Perhaps my math skills are faulty. Does three examples now equal many?

a proud DGS member

What does that mean?

Well, maybe there are only four members. :)

It might be a good idea to have a new permission conversation with the transportation agency responsible for the rest area. You could ask them for their opinion about these container choices, to help you make up your mind.

Feel fortunate that you don't live in one of the states which prohibit rest area caches, like VA DOT or the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Yet.

a proud DGS member

What does that mean?

I don't know about your math skills, but let me help you with your vocabulary homework.

ex·am·ple [ig-zam-puhl, -zahm-], noun: one of a number of things, or a part of something, taken to show the character of the whole: This painting is an example of his early work.

As opposed to

cat·a·log [kat-l-awg, -og], noun: a list or record, as of items for sale or courses at a university, systematically arranged and often including descriptive material: a stamp catalog.

:anitongue:

Edited by hzoi

Why can't all police stations just check to see if there is a geocache there before closing down a whole area?

They can't assume it's a geocache, even if it is listed on geocaching.com, or since geocaches can be almost everywhere in certain areas .... Let's for a minute assume that a bad guy wants to plant a bomb and comes up with the idea of replacing a geocache with their bomb or marking their bomb with "geocaching" on it so the police won't bother investigating it. The police have already thought of that scenario as a possibility..

Opening the lid would start the music. the finders would be responsible for keeping it wound - but not over wound.

Not yet, as I haven't got the contents back yet, only a breif phone conversation.

OK...but why keeping hiding it at the rest stop? ... Somewhere with less muggle traffic?

I could - but I'm still willing to give this spot another attempt. I just thought it would be a neat idea in a high traffic area were that random traveller would stop and get lucky with a cool cache. hence the 50 favorite points - I assume.

I now know that these high traffic area's need containers that are better marked on the outside.

So, the State Police took your container after closing an Interstate Highway rest area, and calling out the bomb squad, and they won't give it back. Yet, you are determined to go get a new one and replace it?

Do you honestly want to be known as the cacher that got caches banned on all Oregon DOT property?

a proud DGS member

What does that mean?

I don't know about your math skills, but let me help you with your vocabulary homework.

ex·am·ple [ig-zam-puhl, -zahm-], noun: one of a number of things, or a part of something, taken to show the character of the whole: This painting is an example of his early work.

As opposed to

cat·a·log [kat-l-awg, -og], noun: a list or record, as of items for sale or courses at a university, systematically arranged and often including descriptive material: a stamp catalog.

Thank you for that vocabulary lesson.

Perhaps I can return the favor?

The DGS is comprised of many, many hundreds of members across the globe. Possibly thousands.

In light of their vast numbers, categorizing two incidents as "many" is deliberately misleading.

Were this a vocabulary class, I would label your activity as prevarication.

For your homework, please submit a 500 word essay denoting the difference betwixt a straw man and an as homonym attack.

If I was a nefarious person, I could publish a geocache and then come back and place a device in it. Think Boston Marathon. While I am a fan of Geocaching, I support the notion that the public safety is more important.

a proud DGS member

What does that mean?

As opposed to

Thank you for that vocabulary lesson.

Perhaps I can return the favor?

The DGS is comprised of many, many hundreds of members across the globe. Possibly thousands.

In light of their vast numbers, categorizing two incidents as "many" is deliberately misleading.

For your homework, please submit a 500 word essay denoting the difference betwixt a straw man and an as homonym attack.

OooooOOOooooooooo

kelso-burn.jpg

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I don't normally bother with prevarication, the truth is much more fun. But ok, I may have exaggerated. I stand by my above comment, excepting the word "many," substituting therefor the word "some." To the excepted language, not guilty, to the substituted language, guilty, to the charge, guilty. You want more examples, you need only go so far as Tajikistan and Afghanistan.

I never was good at figuring out the logical distinction among fallacies, so I'll take a zero on the essay project. I have 97 slides of battlefield logistics to get through so that I can look at something like this and understand what it means.

04bebbcf-180e-4cec-a77e-52fa4f908a3c.png

Wish me luck.

So, the State Police took your container after closing an Interstate Highway rest area, and calling out the bomb squad, and they won't give it back. Yet, you are determined to go get a new one and replace it?

Do you honestly want to be known as the cacher that got caches banned on all Oregon DOT property?

He appears to be workin on it. Those fav points are too important to give up.

As one of the finders of this cache (and I believe a favorite-point giver as well), I'll say that it's a great cache and I totally see how an ammo can was necessary for it to work correctly. It's totally creative and brought a huge smile to my face once I opened it. :D

Maybe there's a better spot it can be hidden in? I do remember trying to figure out how to camouflage the cache better since it was pretty obvious in that tree and I knew muggles must see it pretty often... and there wasn't a lot of nearby natural camo to work with. I don't remember the whole rest stop very well, but maybe there's a more out-of-the-way spot there that's a bit more hidden?

FYI - I placed a new container at the same location this morning with 3 recovered Travel Bugs inside from the evidence bag I obtained from the Oregon State Police. and Yes its a clear container, its is marked on the outside and it STILL has a "gimmick"... although its not at cool IMO as it use to be. I might have to use the same idea of the previous container in a new remote location.

SO ITS BACK UP AND RUNNING!