Transfer GPS-Files from iPad to Garmin Dakota 20

kiwi93

The methods are not complex, but the number of variables involved can seem that way.

First things first: In what form and in what app do you have this GPX file on your iPad? Is it just waypoint and geocaches, or other GPX data also? Are you wanting to do this transfer "in the field" -- or at home with other computing and network resources available?

The methods are not complex, but the number of variables involved can seem that way.

First things first: In what form and in what app do you have this GPX file on your iPad? Is it just waypoint and geocaches, or other GPX data also? Are you wanting to do this transfer "in the field" -- or at home with other computing and network resources available?

I would like to take my iPad with me while travelling and want to transfer "in the field" as you say. I would like to go to geocaching.com click on one of the "gpx-send-file-buttons" and transfer the gpx somehow to my garmin.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, I'll second Walt's comment... apart from the question of how to get data from your iPad to your Garmin - do learn to use Pocket Queries instead of individually picking them off of the GC.com website.

is_it_worth_the_time.png

Having used this opportunity to plug my favorite online comic, I'm now wondering how best to answer your original question. If you just want to transfer cache information one at a time, in the field ... I'd say it's not worth doing. If you are going to load geocaches in bulk using Pocket Queires at home, it's easiest to load your GPS up at home as well. Unless you're willing to invest in extra gadgets and software to take with you geocaching, it's not something you can do in the field.

See why it's complicated? I'm tempted to buy a Garmin Oregon 600 just to see if that model's communication features make it any simpler ...

See why it's complicated? I'm tempted to buy a Garmin Oregon 600 just to see if that model's communication features make it any simpler ...

That Bluetooth option and Basecamp Mobile sure are promising to be a game changer, aren't they.

The OP may be best served with a Rove unit for the task they want to perform here. I say may because there is a cost for the unit and I believe it will require cellular data.

I am curious though about the methods for connecting iOS to Garmin non bluetooth..... are we using the camera connector kit to pull this off? I ask as I see an iPad Mini in my future and, well naturally I'm going to shove Geosphere on it to be my "field GSAK".

I haven't tried out the Rove yet but the price and limited functionality make it unlikely that I would. I'm on the fence about the new Garmin as well - my eTrex 20 is actually a better fit to my purposes (smaller, lighter, much better battery life) and I don't know if the trade offs and expense for the 600 would be reasonable for me.

The non-Bluetooth method I use - at home - is to connect my Garmin to the USB port on my WiFi router. It becomes network-attached storage and there are numerous ways to transfer files from iOS devices to that. But I only use this for copying maps and big GPX files downloaded from various sources. I wouldn't other for one-off geocaches.

There are battery operated WiFi routers with USB ports available, less expensive than even the Rove. But again, this would be such a narrow usage for me that I wouldn't bother getting one.

I suspect Walt would suggest buying an Android device and a USB OTG cable, but even there there is expense and having to choose carefully to make sure all the bits work together.

Edited by user13371

I haven't tried out the Rove yet but the price and limited functionality make it unlikely that I would. I'm on the fence about the new Garmin as well - my eTrex 20 is actually a better fit to my purposes (smaller, lighter, much better battery life) and I don't know if the trade offs and expense for the 600 would be reasonable for me.

The non-Bluetooth method I use - at home - is to connect my Garmin to the USB port on my WiFi router. It becomes network-attached storage and there are numerous ways to transfer files from iOS devices to that. But I only use this for copying maps and big GPX files downloaded from various sources. I wouldn't other for one-off geocaches.

There are battery operated WiFi routers with USB ports available, less expensive than even the Rove. But again, this would be such a narrow usage for me that I wouldn't bother getting one.

I suspect Walt would suggest buying an Android device and a USB OTG cable, but even there there is expense and having to choose carefully to make sure all the bits work together.

Ah ok. I have an eTrex 30 for similar reasons - I optimized for backcountry travel (iPad Mini won't join me on that). Android tablet is a different beast altogether with those devices having things like SD card slots and USB Host Mode available. I'm already in Apple's ecosystem so Android tablet isn't really a good fit for me. Then again, I'm used to loading my GPS with GSAK at home so it is more a curiosity for the specific iPad to Garmin connection, and specifically an "in field" connection, though I suppose iPad to Garmin would be handy for hotel stays. I have a laptop anyway to download the camera to. Rove is something I am watching but not buying yet - same issue with price/limited use.

I have the Wahoo Ant+ adapter for my iPhone, and wonder if that could be programmed in the future (by someone smarter than me) to transfer caches over Ant+ perhaps to the Garmin's that do the Ant+ data sharing.

Thanks for all your replies. I will use pocket queries and for the caches that come within reach during travelling I do not have in my query I will use my mobil phone - sometimes during travelling I just end up at places I haven't planned at home. I just thought there might be an easy way to conntect the two devices - well there isn't.

I love the cartoon about spending to much effort/time to recover a small amount of time. Saved it and may post it on facebook. I can be guilty of that. I doubt the bluetooth will help his situation. The iOS system maintains strict control of what gets on devices no matter what the method of connection.

I

You never mentioned what phone you have androids can download PQs to the Garmin. I have an iPad and Galaxy phone and finally surrendered and bought a cheap $275 Acer netbook to handle my caching needs when traveling. If the iPad wasn't such a fine device I would dump it for a Galaxy tablet but just can't seem to go there.

I love the cartoon about spending to much effort/time to recover a small amount of time. Saved it and may post it on facebook. I can be guilty of that. I doubt the bluetooth will help his situation. The iOS system maintains strict control of what gets on devices no matter what the method of connection.

I

You never mentioned what phone you have androids can download PQs to the Garmin. I have an iPad and Galaxy phone and finally surrendered and bought a cheap $275 Acer netbook to handle my caching needs when traveling. If the iPad wasn't such a fine device I would dump it for a Galaxy tablet but just can't seem to go there.

I have a Galaxy S2. Can you tell me how I get the pocket queries down to my Garmin? I just opened the geocaching.com App and opend one of my pocket queries - but how do I get them to the Garmin?

Get an OTG cable from online somewhere. Hook one end up to your galaxy and one to your device. Go to the website (you can do this earlier) and download the PQ to the phone (not through the app). Then use the file organizer to move it to the Garmin/GPX folder on your device.

It may not default to file storage but you can change it to that by pulling down the notification bar and touching the USB line.

You can also do this to upload your cache visits file to the website as field notes. Then delete that file from the device. That way you can fill out the logs when you get to a computer.

Edited by Walts Hunting