Copy Cat caches - what do you think?

I know .... "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" .... (Charles C. Colton, 1780-1832)

So we are sort of flattered that a cacher in our area put out a cache very, very similar to one of our most popular ones. Ours has been in place for several years and the new one was just published about a month ago. We kept getting logs on our cache that said, "I just found another one like this a few minutes ago." It turns out that the new cache is just a tenth of a mile away and in the same shopping center as ours! I don't mind that he used our style of hide, which is original, as far as I know, but why does it have to be right "next" to ours? (I guess my pride is hurt that finders will think we copied from his cache!)

Have any of you had this situation come up before? We would never think of complaining to the other cacher; he has a perfect right to hide whatever he chooses. Just looking for a little sympathy, I guess...

I know .... "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" .... (Charles C. Colton, 1780-1832)

So we are sort of flattered that a cacher in our area put out a cache very, very similar to one of our most popular ones. Ours has been in place for several years and the new one was just published about a month ago. We kept getting logs on our cache that said, "I just found another one like this a few minutes ago." It turns out that the new cache is just a tenth of a mile away and in the same shopping center as ours! I don't mind that he used our style of hide, which is original, as far as I know, but why does it have to be right "next" to ours? (I guess my pride is hurt that finders will think we copied from his cache!)

Have any of you had this situation come up before? We would never think of complaining to the other cacher; he has a perfect right to hide whatever he chooses. Just looking for a little sympathy, I guess...

These are the Groundspeak forums, no sympathy is ever allowed here, unless it involves untimely death.

It happens. Some people do it. The fake pine cone, sprinkler head and LPC were all unique hides at some point. Heck, someone had to think up placing a film can every 526' along a bike trail. Just move on.

OK, here's a bit of sympathy: We had this happen and it does kind of eat at you for a bit, but you will get over it.

Enough sympathy...focus your energy on putting out the next great hide for everyone to copy. :)

The only thing you should do at this point is to create several dozen more like it and fill every shopping center within a 20 mile radius with the same hide. Name them all after your username - vanduck 1, vanduck 2, ect. until everyone else copies it and calls them all the "vanduck style" of hide to get proper credit. :D

If someone copied my hide and than placed one just like it less than two states away I would be pissed. :mad:

In 'the same shopping center'?

That's not flattery, that's just plain being a jerk.

Well, I have been copying some interesting puzzles. With permission. But nothing closer than a few hundred miles. (Yes. I realize that you do not care for GeoArt, but, oh, well.) I enjoyed the puzzle in Newfoundland! Asked the CO, and he said "No problem." That's over a thousand miles... The idea is that mine are no where near the ones I copied from. The same shopping center!?! That's just tacky! I did have what I thought was a fairly original puzzle, to have one similar placed thirty miles away. A bit close, but I don't think any cachers have found both, nor associated them. But those are puzzles.

There is a interesting and unusual hide nearby. (We all admire this cacher's hides.) It was a bit tough, but very well done. Up pops another hide .2 away. Copying the original. Not well done. Cheap rip off. Probably long since archived.

We have no idea how original the OP's cache is. But a copy in the same shopping center?!? That's lame. That's just plain being a jerk.

Well, I have been copying some interesting puzzles. With permission.

Some people around here copy puzzles *without* asking permission or even giving credit to the puzzle creator. That's tacky too.

I did indeed copy a puzzle about 100 miles north of me (and in a different Country) and asked permission. But I totally changed the major words used in the puzzle to something different. Same concept, different words, if that makes sense. I actually give him credit, but in a totally cryptic manner. I definitely felt asking permission to copy his unique puzzle, but with different wording, was in order.

Basically, I guess I'm on board for asking permission to copy something really unique. Totally depends on the circumstances too, I would think.

Same thing happened to me. I put out a really evil one and someone asked me if they could copy mine cause it was so well done. His didn't turn out as evil but his got lots of compliments, mostly because his was in a more active spot and mine is in a small park.

Some people around here copy puzzles *without* asking permission or even giving credit to the puzzle creator. That's tacky too.

Definitely tacky; in fact I think it's a copyright violation.

This has happened to me twice. I recently discovered that one of my old archived cache puzzles was copied in Ohio. I wrote to the owner and asked him to add a note to the description saying where the puzzle came from, and he did. It turns out he'd copied it from another archived cache in his area, and the owner of that cache (who's no longer caching) had copied mine without permission or attribution.

Then a friend of mine told me about this cache by eRDeeWee in Belgium, which is a copy of my Dinner for Two - a puzzle cache. The CO even used the same pictures, although he changed the color of the tablecloth from green to brown for some reason. I asked him to add a note to the cache page about where the puzzle came from, but he refused; in fact he was rather insulting about it. I wrote to him again and said I'd post a note to his page if he didn't edit the description. He said "Go ahead" and I did. So now at least anyone who looks at the cache page (and who can read English) will know that he's a plagiarist. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to bother him.

I don't mind at all if someone copies one of my puzzles, as long as they tell me about it and say in the description where they copied it from. But I work hard creating my puzzles, and for someone else to claim credit for them is extremely annoying!

Edited by Nylimb

I don't mind at all if someone copies one of my puzzles, as long as they tell me about it and say in the description where they copied it from. But I work hard creating my puzzles, and for someone else to claim credit for them is extremely annoying!

Exactly. It's totally dishonest to take the credit for something you didn't come up with yourself.

It depends. I only have a couple creative caches and if someone did it and decided they wanted to hide there own version over 100 miles away I would be okay with that. I would prefer they mention my cache as the inspiration or original but would not require it.

Honestly we all take inspiration with every cache especially if it's deemed creative in any way. I've traveled a good bit and seen very similar ideas done that were unlikely copied it's just great minds think alike. The fact is with 2 million caches it is unlikely to be completly original. I know almost every puzzle I own has been inspired in some way by one I have done and if it's more of a copy then I give credit to where I saw it but that may have been a copy itself.

Yes taking your idea and doing the same thing in the same parking lot is tacky. I'd go out find their version to see how similar it is and maybe send them a message about how you are honored they liked your idea so much they copied it but how you wish they had asked and done it some further distance away.

I've seen every clever hide or puzzle get copied. Although people should ask permission, most don't. The chances are good that the OPs unique hide is one that has been done before in another area, one that they haven't found yet, or there is some unique feature to that shopping area which the hide uses. If nobody copied other's creative ideas, there would be very few caches hidden under lamppost skirts.

If someone wants to copy a puzzle idea, they are welcome to use this idea. Just a little copying and pasting from the source code is all that is needed. I did conceive of it myself, although I would not be too surprised to see others.

I have copied a puzzle or two, always from far away with permission received and credit given.

But I only rarely would copy an original hiding technique, especially a local one. I figure the hider enjoys receiving the positive logs from people who have never seen such a hide before. That said, I did copy one, with permission. My hide is a little outside the area and is a 5-stage multi, so not too many visitors will be exposed to this hiding style. And the technique filled a need in my cache. I was very grateful.

......If someone wants to copy a puzzle idea, they are welcome to use this idea. Just a little copying and pasting from the source code is all that is needed. I did conceive of it myself, although I would not be too surprised to see others.

Neat idea. I just may steal it without giving credit. :ph34r:

Go right ahead. Just send me 10% of any profit you make off of it. :anitongue:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

......If someone wants to copy a puzzle idea, they are welcome to use this idea. Just a little copying and pasting from the source code is all that is needed. I did conceive of it myself, although I would not be too surprised to see others.

I've seen one like that in my area as well. The CO copied it from somewhere else.

I've got 5 caches on the go. 1 depends on a unique (as far as I can see) street name to give a fun clue; two are just hides, not much to say; one is a puzzle that I'd be quite happy to see imitated but I can't see any references to anything similar online; another is an imitation (cache container / mechanism type) of one I found about 30 miles away. But I have no way of knowing if that one is unique (one log says they've seen 'such cacheS" before so I dount it); in fact I seem to recall there's a log on the cache that inspired me saying "you stole that idea of mine we discuseed over a pint, grrr" or some such. So I don't feel too guilty. No I didn't ask permission; but at the same time I'd never have dreamt of putting it in the same area. Chances of someone doing both these caches in the same day are remote.

There you go, 2 unique, 1 "tribute", 2 run-of-the-mill.

As long as you gave credit for the copying the cache I don't see why not it would be nice to have more unique caches out there.

Plus everywhere copy rights look at ford Toyota all the cars are the same.

Edited by Off Grid

As long as you gave credit for the copying the cache I don't see why not it would be nice to have more unique caches out there.

I don't have a problem with someone copying posts, but copying them in the same topic? That's just tacky. At least have the common decency to copy them in another topic in a completely different forum.

:laughing:

Thank you for springing a new idea.

Innovation adds fun to the hobby.

It got copied? Then it has a better chance to live longer and propagate further.

If you want to control who get to use your idea, think deeply.

Would you really want ideas to be controlled?

Big Brother would. I wouldn't.

Big Brother's trying. Future's looking bleak.

It got copied? Then it has a better chance to live longer and propagate further.

You really want ideas to be copies of ideas??

Sure, to start with.

Eliminate the copies, end proliferation, idea stagnates and dies.

Allow the copies, allow proliferation, idea grows into something new.

I don't have a problem with someone copying posts, but copying them in the same topic? That's just tacky. At least have the common decency to copy them in another topic in a completely different forum.

:laughing:

But that's just my personal opinion.

any cool thing, anyone makes, will be copied.. just get used to it..

but if the copy in this case a geocache is placed right next to yours !!

and lets say your hide or container or what ever is so special to yours,

is really copied so you can truely see it is not just random luck,

I say it sounds like someone try to pull some kind of joke on you,

it must be on purpose, and all they want is a responce, the more they get, the more fun it is..

by the way : it took me 10 sec to figure out,

your cache must be the GC1YXT1 Iced Coffee

and the new copy must be : GC45MNX Snake Bite

you know the site will let you visit the CO's profile page, you can see alot of info on him

and even a few pictures of him with his wife, so you know who they are if you see them :-)

Edited by OZ2CPU

Definitely tacky; in fact I think it's a copyright violation.

This has happened to me twice. I recently discovered that one of my old archived cache puzzles was copied in Ohio. I wrote to the owner and asked him to add a note to the description saying where the puzzle came from, and he did. It turns out he'd copied it from another archived cache in his area, and the owner of that cache (who's no longer caching) had copied mine without permission or attribution.

Then a friend of mine told me about this cache by eRDeeWee in Belgium, which is a copy of my Dinner for Two - a puzzle cache. The CO even used the same pictures, although he changed the color of the tablecloth from green to brown for some reason. I asked him to add a note to the cache page about where the puzzle came from, but he refused; in fact he was rather insulting about it. I wrote to him again and said I'd post a note to his page if he didn't edit the description. He said "Go ahead" and I did. So now at least anyone who looks at the cache page (and who can read English) will know that he's a plagiarist. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to bother him.

De puzzel eRDeeWee gebruikt voor deze cache werd gekopieerd, zonder mijn medeweten of toestemming, van mijn "Dinner for Two - een puzzel cache" (bezoeken link).

Ik heb hard gewerkt om de puzzel te maken, en het stoort me dat iemand anders krediet zou claimen voor. Dus toen ik hoorde over de kopie, ik gemaild eRDeeWee en vroeg hem om een notitie toe te voegen aan de beschrijving zeggen waar de puzzel vandaan kwam. Hij weigerde. Ik vroeg hem weer in een andere e-mail, en zei dat ik zou posten als hij dat niet deed. Hij weigerde opnieuw.

Ik begrijp niet eRDeeWee's houding. Als hij de beschrijving was veranderd toen ik hem vroeg om, zou niemand geweten hebben dat hij nooit om toestemming had gevraagd. In plaats daarvan, die informatie is nu openbaar.

That's the best I could do translating your note to Dutch with Google translate, if you want to call him out in a language everyone who reads that page will understand lol. I almost posted it myself, but I didn't want to create confusion and have people thinking *I* was claiming he copied me.

For the most part I agree that with so many caches out there it's hard to really say someone is copying someone else...but when it's so blatant that they even use your clue images and what not, that's just not cool. Neither is copying a hide and hiding it close to the one you copied.

any cool thing, anyone makes, will be copied.. just get used to it..

but if the copy in this case a geocache is placed right next to yours !!

and lets say your hide or container or what ever is so special to yours,

is really copied so you can truely see it is not just random luck,

I say it sounds like someone try to pull some kind of joke on you,

it must be on purpose, and all they want is a responce, the more they get, the more fun it is..

by the way : it took me 10 sec to figure out,

your cache must be the GC1YXT1 Iced Coffee

and the new copy must be : GC45MNX Snake Bite

you know the site will let you visit the CO's profile page, you can see alot of info on him

and even a few pictures of him with his wife, so you know who they are if you see them :-)

lol, I knew it could be found but I didn't try...but since you just provided the info I had to look. The owner of the copied cache visited the OP's cache on 1/25/13 and then hid the copy cache on 2/8/13! Lol exactly two weeks after their find.

I can understand wanting to copy a cache idea, but I really don't get hiding it so close to the one you copied. ESPECIALLY if you're not giving credit, I would think you'd want to hide it farther away so that people think your idea is unique. Anyone who connects these two hides could easily look at the date hidden and know who came up with the idea first.

I have a cache that has been copied twice, that I know of. They are towns/cities away, one asked permission, one did not. They both reference my cache in the description. The one that did not ask permission I found accidentally. It makes me wonder if there are more out there.

I have no problems with copies, I think it's neat if someone likes something enough to repeat it. I think it's nice if they ask beforehand or mention it on the cache page, but I don't think that they need to. I personally would ask if I did it myself, but that's just my personal preference.

Sure, to start with.

Eliminate the copies, end proliferation, idea stagnates and dies.

Allow the copies, allow proliferation, idea grows into something new.

Depends. Too much of a good thing loses its edge and gets boring fast. I can see the original creator being a little upset that now their cool cache idea isn't so cool anymore, especially if people find the 2nd copycat cache first, which is likely considering it's so close.

Yes, we need more identical unique caches!!

OK, so if you copy them, they won't exactly be unique anymore, but I do get BillyBob's point.

It's nice to see local geocachers bring ideas home from their travels. Heck, I did that and ended up launching a whole series.

I gave credit for the idea in the first cache of the series.

I suppose the person I copied from copied their ideas from someone else, but at least, I didn't pretend it was my own idea.

That has happened to me a couple times:

The first time, I didn't mind so much because the cacher asked me if they could do it. My cache had been out a number of months so I gave them the ok.

The second time, my cache had only been out a few days and a cacher found it and said in his log he was going to copy it. I thought he was joking and was surprised when the same exact cache as mine was published a day or two later. I found the guys copycat cache and totally went off on him for it in my find log on his cache page. Needless to say, I was offended. He deleted my find log and then a very argumentative email corespondence with him ensued. He suggested I come over to his house and talk face to face. The next day, I went over to his house. After some discussion, I insisted that he thank me for the idea on his cache page and he agreed. Both caches have since been long archived. I held on to some resentment towards this person, but since going through a little spiritual awkening, I felt it was important for me to make amends to him and I feel much better about the situation after I did.

The third time, was not so much a copy cat cache as a 'piggyback' cache on one of mine. I placed a cache with a certain theme and a cacher decided to place a cache very nearby that played off of my theme. I didn't really appreciate this, but I've practiced a lot of acceptance and tolerance and am ok with it for the most part.

At the time of these instances, I was angry and felt like they were stealing my genious idea, etc. I also cringed at the thought that someone might find my cache and think I was the one who copied the other persons idea. Thankfully, I've come to realize that I'm a pretty selfish person and I think my former attitude was rooted in a lot of selfishness and ego. (ie Thats MY idea not theirs! They're stealing MY idea! I deserve the credit for the cache not them!). Today, I try to look at it as gratitude that I can bring someone joy and if their cache achieves that goal as well then even better. I try to be humble and hope to contribute to the game and not search for all the ego feeding accolades I think I can get from the game.

De puzzel eRDeeWee gebruikt voor deze cache werd gekopieerd, zonder mijn medeweten of toestemming, van mijn "Dinner for Two - een puzzel cache" (bezoeken link).

That's the best I could do translating your note to Dutch with Google translate, if you want to call him out in a language everyone who reads that page will understand lol.

Thanks, but Google's translations into English aren't usually very grammatical, and I suspect that its translations into Dutch aren't either. I'm sure it would be understandable, but I'd rather not post in Dutch unless I can get a translation from someone who's fluent in the language.

OK, so if you copy them, they won't exactly be unique anymore, but I do get BillyBob's point.

It's nice to see local geocachers bring ideas home from their travels. Heck, I did that and ended up launching a whole series.

I suppose the person I copied from copied their ideas from someone else, but at least, I didn't pretend it was my own idea.

Is the "copy" in the OP as good as the original? If not, giving "credit" to the orignal may give away the hide. "This is an inferior version of the one you can't find, so let's all thank that guy, and now you can easily find his." :blink:

I'm thinking it might be your "Iced Coffee" cache - about 28 favorites, kudos for uniqueness, but a comment of "second one like it today" also.

Hopefully, people will notice that your cache was placed earlier than the copycat's cache.

Feel free to email me a spoiler photo, so I can copy it hundreds of miles from you! :)

Is the "copy" in the OP as good as the original? If not, giving "credit" to the orignal may give away the hide. "This is an inferior version of the one you can't find, so let's all thank that guy, and now you can easily find his." :blink:

I get BillyBob's point also. However it is identical, word for word verbatim from what Off Grid wrote a few posts before that. <_<