Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
lumbricus

Cemetery Art

As the leader in this potential category, I acknowledge I've been distracted of late (summer vacations, family stuff, homeowner issues). When school is back in session for my kids, I'll have a little more time to focus on details/finetuning issues and put to a vote down the road, hopefully sooner than later. 

On 2/4/2020 at 6:44 PM, PISA-caching said:

I'm still looking forward to this new category and would be prepared to help.

@NW_history_buff If you don't have time, maybe @PISA-caching could finish the category? We should bring this to an end.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 3:56 PM, lumbricus said:

@NW_history_buff If you don't have time, maybe @PISA-caching could finish the category? We should bring this to an end.

I think there isn't much left to do and I bet that NW_history_buff will do a better job on finishing the category, but of course I'm still prepared to do it, if NW_history_buff  wants me to.

UPDATE: I'm now officer for the category and able to edit it. I already made a few minor changes and am now looking for photos of gravestones that will NOT be accepted. I will visit one of our cemeteries to take photos of some examples. And I will also think about changes on the category description. So, any suggestions you may have will be appreciated.

I am not an officer in the category, but I think your presentation is clear and precise

When i see examples, it's more artistics graves than cemetery art, if you expand we could submit beautiful graves inside churches or cathedrals

21 hours ago, Alfouine said:

When i see examples, it's more artistics graves than cemetery art, if you expand we could submit beautiful graves inside churches or cathedrals

Good point. The initial idea was to create a category for all the artwork, that isn't allowed in the 'Figurative Public Sculpture' category. They exclude "Funerary sculptures", but "a figurative sculpture that is independent of a tomb found in a cemetery" would be accepted in that category. I added some text to also allow artwork on graves outside a cemetery. 

Any further feedback?

15 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

Why require the country in the title? Most generally, after sometime, I have noticed some approved submissions lacking the country in the title that require it.

So, if you are not going to be consistent, what is the point?

I changed that to "state/province/country".

15 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

"They" meaning Figurative Public Sculpture category, are you allowing cross posting?

The initial idea was to have a category for the artwork that isn't allowed in the 'Figurative Public Sculpture' category. So, cross posting with this category should not be allowed.

7 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

I thought the category was "Cemetery Art".

Or is it Cemetery, churches,  cathedrals art?  (associated with a grave)

How about pet cemeteries, parks where there is a grave, or where else there may be a grave with a beautiful sculpture?

You asked for feedback, my questions are not answered yet. Or is this FMO?

I think we should rename the category to "Funerary Art" (but will discuss that with the leader and officers) and make it clear that every artwork on a grave/tombstone is allowed, no matter if it is on a cemetery, in a cathedral, in a forrest or wherever. I still expect that the vast majority of submissions will be within a cemetery, but it's better to change the category name now to avoid misunderstandings. And although I don't expect too many submissions of artwork on a pets grave, I would also allow these.

After looking up what "FMO" means (my mother tongue is German and I don't know every English abbreviation that is out there) the answer is "no". It isn't FMO (for members only). I'm looking for input from whoever is interested in that category. The more opinions we hear, the more chances the category will have in Peer Review.

2 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

From category description:

Please name your waymark this way:
Name of the Artwork - town/state/country

Examples:
Stone Angel – New York, NY
Wooden Bird – Frankfurt, Germany
Mosaic Cross – Prague, Czech Republic

I changed that to "state/province/country".

I suggest:

Town, State/Province (Country is optional)

If country would be optional, the waymarks in my hometown would end with "Vienna, Vienna" because Vienna is a town and also one of the 9 Austrian federal states. 

• Upvote 1

I don't like the idea to have the country optional.

Ecxept for the few countries where we can expect that almost everyone knows which country the province or state belongs to. That is the US and Canada in my opinion, maybe Australia.

But for the rest, the country should be required, more than the state, that often does not add that much information to the title for anybody but locals.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

20 minutes ago, fi67 said:

I don't like the idea to have the country optional.

Ecxept for the few countries where we can expect that almost everyone knows which country the province or state belongs to. That is the US and Canada in my opinion, maybe Australia.

But for the rest, the country should be required, more than the state, that often does not add that much information to the title for anybody but locals.

Exactly what I was trying to say. Or does anybody know where "Silves, Faro" would be (without asking Google Maps)? :-)

Edited by PISA-caching

'We accept also objects which have their own category like lions or angels, we want to keep the category simple.'

We don't list each and every category that is allowed for cross posting, but if we accept angels, how could we decline religious figures?

Cross posting will not be the big challenge for reviewing officers.  The big challenge will be to determine the uniqueness of the artwork.

Maybe I'm not good at expressing my thoughts, but I will try once more. The category 'Figurative Public Sculpture" doesn't allow sculptures on graves, but does allow other sculptures within a cemetery. So, the main purpose of the new category was and still is to enable waymarkers to post artwork on graves (within or outside cemeteries). And from a reviewers point of view, it is quite easy to see whether the artwork is on a grave or not connected to a grave, but somewhere on a cemetery. Therefore, I think that we should exclude everything that isn't connected with a grave/tombstone. I mean, IF we would allow figurative sculptures within a cemetery that are not connected to a grave, we would also have to allow Artistic Seatings within a cemetery, no? Therefore, I really think that "Funerary Art" will be a much better name for the category.

The next question is/was: Should we exclude bears, lions, dogs, religious figures etc.? And I think that we shouldn't do that, 1. because there will only few artwork remain valid and 2. it will be much more difficult for the reviewers. 

That's my point of view, but I'm open for further opinions. So, all you out there, make yourself heard and don't wait for the Peer Review. :)

• Helpful 1

This proposal began on April 29, 2013, restarted in July 2017, and again February 2020.

That is 6 years, 9 months, 29 days including today. I encourage everyone to go back and read the entire thread, the same objections were discussed in 2013 and 2017 that are still being discussed.

I think if this category has not made it to peer review in ALMOST 7 YEARS, "Houston, we have a problem"

Edited by T0SHEA

3 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Maybe I'm not good at expressing my thoughts, but I will try once more. The category 'Figurative Public Sculpture" doesn't allow sculptures on graves, but does allow other sculptures within a cemetery. So, the main purpose of the new category was and still is to enable waymarkers to post artwork on graves (within or outside cemeteries). And from a reviewers point of view, it is quite easy to see whether the artwork is on a grave or not connected to a grave, but somewhere on a cemetery. Therefore, I think that we should exclude everything that isn't connected with a grave/tombstone. I mean, IF we would allow figurative sculptures within a cemetery that are not connected to a grave, we would also have to allow Artistic Seatings within a cemetery, no? Therefore, I really think that "Funerary Art" will be a much better name for the category.

The next question is/was: Should we exclude bears, lions, dogs, religious figures etc.? And I think that we shouldn't do that, 1. because there will only few artwork remain valid and 2. it will be much more difficult for the reviewers. 

That's my point of view, but I'm open for further opinions. So, all you out there, make yourself heard and don't wait for the Peer Review. :)

So let's change the category name to "Funerary Art" and we exclude nothing. If it is unique artwork and connected with a grave/tombstone it's fine. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

1 hour ago, lumbricus said:

So let's change the category name to "Funerary Art" and we exclude nothing. If it is unique artwork and connected with a grave/tombstone it's fine. 

Thanks a lot. I renamed category and group.

• Upvote 1

I believe that Andreas has it nailed down well enough that the category now may be submitted to peer review. His latter explanations of acceptable versus non acceptable submissions would/should satisfy the vast majority of cases.

As we all well know, no one will ever manage to initially encompass the entire universe of submissions which may flood forth.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII