Cemetery Art

On 8/11/2021 at 7:55 AM, Outspoken1 said:

I just approved this Waymark, John 11:25 - Woodlawn Memorial Gardens - Harrisburg, PA , in the Etched in Stone category. I think this probably would also fit in the funerary  Art category. So what if this is cross posted. It meets all of the requirements for each category. Just sayin....

Take care, Outspoken1 (Sandy)

The problem with this statue/sculpture is that it's not a grave or headstone, a requirement for Funerary Art. It could be submitted into the Statues of Religious Figures category. 

Funerary Art is now in Peer Vote. Many of the comments from the Waymarking Community were incorporated into the final category. Because of live demands, NW_history_buff has stepped down as leader and put the category under my name. He is still active in the category,  just did not have time to be leader. Lumbricus who originally started the category is also still involved, just not the leader. They have both provided (and will provide in the future) guidance and clarification of the goals of the category. I hope we receive support to make this an active new category. Thanks for all of your input!! Please vote Yes!

Take care, Outspoken1

I am sorry I missed this vote. I love everything related with cemeteries and funerary rites. At the moment the category is still not available so I can't have an opinion. Just curious to see how it will be unique, considering the numerous cemeteries related existing categories :-)

Update: found it, thanks to PISA Caching link in this thread. I will not participate with more than one WM to this one. Don't really like how the category came out, all the subjectivity (who's gonna say what's wow and what's not wow, who's gonna distinguish a locally mass produced of an unique), and besides, I don't want to enter a good cemetery (like those in Lviv, Buenos Aires, Milano, Paris, etc) knowing there are literally hundreds of tombs eligible for this category.

"- Provide the full text on the headstone. Some headstones/slabs are adjacent, but separate from the the monument as it is a family memorial. You may wish to include this text."

I don't understand. Is this mandatory or I "may wish to include the text" if I want so?

But anyway, the category is there, the debate is closed, so, have fun.

Edited by Torgut
7 hours ago, Torgut said:

I am sorry I missed this vote. I love everything related with cemeteries and funerary rites. At the moment the category is still not available so I can't have an opinion. Just curious to see how it will be unique, considering the numerous cemeteries related existing categories :-)

Update: found it, thanks to PISA Caching link in this thread. I will not participate with more than one WM to this one. Don't really like how the category came out, all the subjectivity (who's gonna say what's wow and what's not wow, who's gonna distinguish a locally mass produced of an unique), and besides, I don't want to enter a good cemetery (like those in Lviv, Buenos Aires, Milano, Paris, etc) knowing there are literally hundreds of tombs eligible for this category.

"- Provide the full text on the headstone. Some headstones/slabs are adjacent, but separate from the the monument as it is a family memorial. You may wish to include this text."

I don't understand. Is this mandatory or I "may wish to include the text" if I want so?

But anyway, the category is there, the debate is closed, so, have fun.

I am sorry that you do not want to participate. The structure of the category came about from discussion on this Forum. The reason for not having mass produced is two-fold: One, that is common in all the art categories and this is an art category; Second, an example used was the common (at least in the USA) lamb on a headstone often used with the death of a child. This was very popular in the 1900s (when child death was more common). The membership did not want to see 300 lambs or fingers pointing upwards or just common funerary art. Yes, there is the mention of the 'Wow' factor, but again, this is an art category created because Figurative Public Art does not allow tombstones. Discussion was had as to whether limit the number of headstones a person may submit from a cemetery. That was NOT included as we did not want to limit anyone from Waymarking. Please reconsider trying the category out and see if you can enjoy it

-The category asks for the full text on the headstone and that is required. However additional stones that are part of the possibly family plot do NOT have to be transcribed unless you want to. Again, this is an art category, not a genealogy category.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

Just to respond to a couple of private emails I have received:  The category was not created for genealogy, is was created for art (because tombstones can't go in Figurative). (Since I also do genealogy, it did take me awhile to figure that out. Some of the proposed category requirements were more data related than art related. Those requirements were deleted before the category went to vote.) If you want to create data for genealogy, then also submit to Find a Grave. Also, there are many local genealogy societies who would appreciate the information (you probably already know this). I have been doing double posting (when appropriate) on Find A Grave since I have already taken the photos and transcribed the tombstone. Maybe it will help out someone working on their genealogy.  Take care, Outspoken1

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

As an officer of that category, I want to remind everyone that this is an ART category. It's tempting, but don't just copy/paste the description from a waymark for the same grave you made in another category, unless the other description contains a lot of information about the artwork. I and hopefully all the other officers will decline all the waymarks that tell a lot about the person for whom the headstone was made, but little to nothing about the artwork itself. Size, material, color, condition, what is depicted,.... ? So, save your and our time and add a (required) description of the artwork.

To make it clear: There is nothing wrong to have information about the person (often it is necessary to know something about him/her to understand the artwork), but the WM should also include as much information about the artwork that you can find.

Edited by PISA-caching
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
On 8/11/2021 at 7:55 AM, Outspoken1 said:

I just approved this Waymark, John 11:25 - Woodlawn Memorial Gardens - Harrisburg, PA , in the Etched in Stone category. I think this probably would also fit in the funerary  Art category. So what if this is cross posted. It meets all of the requirements for each category. Just sayin....

Agree, as I doubt that one is mass produced.

You take care, as well, Sandy,

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
On 9/11/2021 at 7:29 PM, Outspoken1 said:

Woo hoo! The category is live

And now I have to peruse my 100,000+ pix to find that single pic I'm (pretty) sure  I (think) I remember I (may have) took( taken) in that (certain) cemetery in that (I believe) town in that (or one of those) state(s)/province(s).

Thanks! :wacko: :( :mad: 

I'm gettin' too old for this...

Keith

• Funny 1
On 8/11/2021 at 9:55 AM, Outspoken1 said:

I'm confused. Etched in stone cannot be on a grave but funerary art must be on a grave. 

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm confused. Etched in stone cannot be on a grave but funerary art must be on a grave. 

As am I. I haven't looked. Is it true that "Etched in stone cannot be on a grave"? Guess I'll have to go and see fer meself...

... The Big "D" looks to be quite correct:

From Etched in Stone:

What this category is not:

• Seeking merely the location where speeches were made or books written.
  • A place to waymark history markers that contain quotes
  • A place to cite quotes or text on gravestones.

D - I guess that's a YES. It apparently works exactly as you've described.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
59 minutes ago, Becktracker said:

Why is this category approved recently and not in the newest categories and way up in the category grid?

Re-reading the discussion, which started in 2013, it seems logical to me to assume that the category was created on July 27th in 2017 by NW_history-buff. Then another attempt was started last year and the category passed peer review finally on September 12th in 2021. Nearly eight years for an approval is a really *a long time* ... :blink:

And it seems that the category grid is ordered by creation date of the categories and not by their approval date ... ^_^