Unusual Sight Gimmick - Ideas?

I recently placed a cache on a hilltop near my home. After I got back, I realized that I can see the hilltop from the top of my back yard. In fact, with the help of a telescope, I can see the trail near the cache quite well.

My problem is that I'd like to figure out a way to interact with folks at the cache site. I could leave my phone number so that if I were home, I could go up on the hill, but what to do then? The distance is too great (1.5 miles) for me to take their picture and e-mail the photos to them. If they cached at night, I, or they, could wave flashlights or laser pointers, but the park closes at dusk. I can't send up a flare because this is Southern California and everything burns.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any ideas?

How about Army Signal Corp Waggle flags and Morse Code lights? icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Carrier Pidgeons? icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Seriously, a pair of cheap frs radios, with the one in the cache attached with a cable. a note for them to turn it on and see if your there. Yours would be on a power supplyand always on.

Personaly, I like the pidgeons

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

How about Army Signal Corp Waggle flags and Morse Code lights? icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Carrier Pidgeons? icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Seriously, a pair of cheap frs radios, with the one in the cache attached with a cable. a note for them to turn it on and see if your there. Yours would be on a power supplyand always on.

Personaly, I like the pidgeons

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

How about putting one of those tourist telescopes up there with a $5 slot in it? It would be set so all they could see was you mooning them, or at least a photo of said subject. No showing the johnsonz tho, that might be illegal. Hey, this sounds like a good idea for a Far Side cartoon!

quote:
Originally posted by thejohnsonz:

I recently placed a cache on a hilltop near my home. After I got back, I realized that I can see the hilltop from the top of my back yard. In fact, with the help of a telescope, I can see the trail near the cache quite well.

My problem is that I'd like to figure out a way to interact with folks at the cache site.

How about a tripwire on the trail hooked to a mechanism that will send an electric pulse into the ground? I read in a history of telegraphy that electricity will travel a fair distance through the ground (don't remember how far, though). If it's far enough, sensors in your backyard will pick it up and you can rush to your telescope in time to see people leaving their used golf balls

If you don't like the idea of tripping fellow geocachers, you could rig it as a doorbell by your cache.

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

I placed a cache about two months ago that's boat-only accessible. Lyra's Lair 2 My dog accompanied me on the boat when I placed it, and one of the original cache contents apparently was something that looked like a neat dog toy. The cache is hidden at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia, and its general vicinity is visible from our lake house.

I've notice that my dog seems to keep an eager eye on the point where the cache is located, and barks anytime it looks like someone's steering their boat in that direction.

You could simply take your dog down to the cache site, deposit its favorite toy inside, then wait until its protective instincts kick in when someone gets near.

The doorbell idea sounds a little more reliable, though.

quote:

Telescope?

Actually you can put the camera lens up to the telescope and it will take a fine picture! Tried it out in the Westin Peachtree Plaza here in Atlanta. The have a spinning restaurant on the top called the Sundial as well as several platforms with telescopes. I was able to focus on things in the park down below and take fairly decent aerial photos.

I have been entertaining the Idea of an urban drive by near my apartment. We are at the front end corner of the complex so I was thinking of putting one on the other side of the fence close enough to use one of my wireless cameras (sort of a CCTV freak) to watch would be finders stumble around hunting. Not sure how long the batteries last through.

Something like this -

a binocs/camera used for hunting. Or some kind of hunting alram. I think there are devices you can hook to a tree that will notify you or take an automatic picture when there is movement in the area.

Go to cabelas.com and do a search on cameras. At the bottom of the reults page is a Mead Capture View camera.

i711579sq01.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by ChazC:

You could use signal mirrors. You could have a prearranged signal that the cachers could use. icon_smile.gif

icon_smile.gif I can see my house, which is just over 4 line-of-sight miles away, from a rock ledge that is part of my Cary Mountain multi-cache. Zhanna & Aaron (famous local Geocachers here in northeast PA) had agreed to call me via cell phone when they reached this particular ledge. My house can easily be seen from this point with binoculars, and on a very clear day with the unaided eye!

When I received their call, I went outside and signaled them with my old military emergency signal mirror. In addition, I had set up a 45X spotting scope on a tripod with the intention of getting a photo of them waving to me. Unfortunately, it was extremely hot, humid and hazy that afternoon and I could just barely make out their blurry shapes through the thick, shimmering air, but I could distinguish their waves! Also, they were able to see the bright flashes of sunlight from the signal mirror without any problem. We are hoping to repeat this exciting experiment on a morning when the atmosphere is crystal clear. Cheers ... icon_cool.gif

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by ChazC:

You could use signal mirrors. You could have a prearranged signal that the cachers could use. icon_smile.gif

icon_smile.gif I can see my house, which is just over 4 line-of-sight miles away, from a rock ledge that is part of my Cary Mountain multi-cache. Zhanna & Aaron (famous local Geocachers here in northeast PA) had agreed to call me via cell phone when they reached this particular ledge. My house can easily be seen from this point with binoculars, and on a very clear day with the unaided eye!

When I received their call, I went outside and signaled them with my old military emergency signal mirror. In addition, I had set up a 45X spotting scope on a tripod with the intention of getting a photo of them waving to me. Unfortunately, it was extremely hot, humid and hazy that afternoon and I could just barely make out their blurry shapes through the thick, shimmering air, but I could distinguish their waves! Also, they were able to see the bright flashes of sunlight from the signal mirror without any problem. We are hoping to repeat this exciting experiment on a morning when the atmosphere is crystal clear. Cheers ... icon_cool.gif

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by wcgreen:

quote:

My problem is that I'd like to figure out a way to interact with folks at the cache site.

How about a tripwire on the trail hooked to a mechanism that will send an electric pulse into the ground? I read in a history of telegraphy that electricity will travel a fair distance through the ground (don't remember how far, though). If it's far enough, sensors in your backyard will pick it up and you can rush to your telescope in time to see people leaving their used golf balls

If you don't like the idea of tripping fellow geocachers, you could rig it as a doorbell by your cache.

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

The only problem I can see with this scenario is the cost of running an extension cord to the hilltop may be prohibitive. Not to mention, frying the cache seeker. Perhaps a signal drum...hey it worked for the African Natives. A more technologically advanced approach would be to use the airwaves, a cheap FRS radio and a fresh set of batteries. Watson, come here I need you" icon_biggrin.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

quote:

quote:

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

The only problem I can see with this scenario is the cost of running an extension cord to the hilltop may be prohibitive. Not to mention, frying the cache seeker. Perhaps a signal drum...hey it worked for the African Natives. A more technologically advanced approach would be to use the airwaves, a cheap FRS radio and a fresh set of batteries. Watson, come here I need you" icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cachier:

quote:

quote:

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

The only problem I can see with this scenario is the cost of running an extension cord to the hilltop may be prohibitive. Not to mention, frying the cache seeker. Perhaps a signal drum...hey it worked for the African Natives. A more technologically advanced approach would be to use the airwaves, a cheap FRS radio and a fresh set of batteries. _Watson, come here I need you"_ icon_biggrin.gif

Why not just use one of those driveway sensors? You put one box at the end of your driveway(or at the cache) and when the laser is cut it rings the bell in the box inside your house. I don't know the range of them, but some of them are pretty far I'm sure. Then you just have to make sure the batteries are fresh. And the bonus... NO TRIPPING CACHERS!!

**Try something 3 times before giving up on it! The 1st time may be bad weather, the 2nd may be dead GPS batteries, the 3rd you may spot that hiding spot!!**

quote:
Originally posted by Cachier:

quote:

quote:

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

The only problem I can see with this scenario is the cost of running an extension cord to the hilltop may be prohibitive. Not to mention, frying the cache seeker. Perhaps a signal drum...hey it worked for the African Natives. A more technologically advanced approach would be to use the airwaves, a cheap FRS radio and a fresh set of batteries. _Watson, come here I need you"_ icon_biggrin.gif

Why not just use one of those driveway sensors? You put one box at the end of your driveway(or at the cache) and when the laser is cut it rings the bell in the box inside your house. I don't know the range of them, but some of them are pretty far I'm sure. Then you just have to make sure the batteries are fresh. And the bonus... NO TRIPPING CACHERS!!

**Try something 3 times before giving up on it! The 1st time may be bad weather, the 2nd may be dead GPS batteries, the 3rd you may spot that hiding spot!!**

What about using one of those wireless doorbells they have a fairly good range, and the transmitter only uses two AA batteries that last approx. one year. The reciever uses a 9V or you can wire it to a 9V adapter and leave it plugged in.

If it won't transmit all the way from the cache then put transmitter on the trail as close as possible to the cache, or with it's own coordinates as a stage. You might even put one of each (transmitter and reciever) at the site that way you can signal them you heard and then go up and visit.

GPS's...A step in the right direction!

quote:

Electricity won't travel through the ground unless theres a wire under the ground, at least not in any way for you to make use of it. Since you would need a live extension cord going from the house all the way to the cache to provide the pulse, why not just unplug the extension cord from the house and attach a jingle bell on the end? That way the geocacher could pull the extension cord and if someone was home, they would hear it? icon_wink.gif

quote:

Electricity won't travel through the ground unless theres a wire under the ground, at least not in any way for you to make use of it. Since you would need a live extension cord going from the house all the way to the cache to provide the pulse, why not just unplug the extension cord from the house and attach a jingle bell on the end? That way the geocacher could pull the extension cord and if someone was home, they would hear it? icon_wink.gif

OK, here's what I came up with: For the mirror bit, cachers will need a target, perhaps 1 of those mirrored lawn spheres on your roof (depends on sun angle etc., I realize icon_wink.gif ).

Just short of 'more power' to your garage door opener, maybe a cheap R/C kit with a receiver at your house. Radio Shack used to sell stuff like that, but ask the kid that works there now about a transistor and a breadboard, and he'll look at you like you sprouted antennae. But that's what the internet and credit cards are for now-a-days.

OK, here's what I came up with: For the mirror bit, cachers will need a target, perhaps 1 of those mirrored lawn spheres on your roof (depends on sun angle etc., I realize icon_wink.gif ).

Just short of 'more power' to your garage door opener, maybe a cheap R/C kit with a receiver at your house. Radio Shack used to sell stuff like that, but ask the kid that works there now about a transistor and a breadboard, and he'll look at you like you sprouted antennae. But that's what the internet and credit cards are for now-a-days.