How did you come up with your caching name?

our's (my wife and I Geocache together) is a nickname my parents gave us as a couple, Ben & Amber = Bamber, Leslie is our last name, simple as that. I created our account and wanted it be something we could both identify with. My brothers who are also married have similar merged nicknames.

My real name is ADHAMH. I pronounce it the same as "Adam" and it's the old Scottish Gaelic spelling...pronounced entirely different. The most common MISpronunciation of it is Add-ham and one day my friend wrote it as +Ham. The nickname stuck and you couldn't use the + in a geocaching name back in the day so I spelled it out like it is now. I respond to Ham around most of my friends. My now-wife joined the "team" and we both cache under this name.

Edited by AddHam

Long ago in a galaxy far far away.....

No just kidding, umm about 10 years ago, I had a pickup truck with a CB Radio. I had a friend who was a hunter, and gave me a squirrel tail. I didn't know anything else to do until I saw an old Disney cartoon about a race car (from the 80's)and it had a raccoon tail on it, so I set the squirrel tail on the top of my, already tall, CB antenna. As I would drive down the interstate the truckers would often comment on it. Look at that flying squirrel going down the road.

My first thought was Rocky and Bullwinkle. So I had my handle as 'Rocky the Flying Squirrel'. when I set up the username in yahoo, I shortened flying for 'f' but the name was taken so I added an extra 'L', and put an 'e' in rocky, by accident, so some people think it is a female name, but nope.

Rock the Casbah was on the radio one day when we were cashing with our original name. I started singing "Rock the cache box, Rock the cache box" and it stuck. Had to try a couple of variations before RocTheCacheBox was available. Last month we signed a log with ROCK_the_CacheBox 2 below our log!

When I was in high school I taught myself how to write HTML, and a small webpage developed into a site with 35k+ images and other personal files I was sharing with anyone who was interest. After a few years I decided that the old geocities web address needed to go so my wife and I came up withe SchuckTales. Schuck being our last name, and the Tales portion a rip off from the old Disney cartoon Duck Tales. The webpage was mostly about our tales about what we were up to. The webpage is long gone, but the name has stuck over the years. As geocaching logs are our new way to communicate out travels and adventures with others, the name seemed to fit.

A few years ago I wrote a poem about a witch that lives in Los Angeles named Beatrix Harting. I liked the name so much I made it my username for geocaching, Twitter, etc. CMH is the airport code for my hometown. I've eventually changed my username for other places, but kept it for geocaching.

I never did anything without a plan, and always have a plan for anything, looking and thinking three or four steps ahead of what may happen for outcomes. I am normally ready for it when it happens. My friends always said I saw it coming or looked far into the future. Then one night someone called me Farseer and it stuck. I also have an uncanny sixth sense to detect my in-laws coming at twenty miles....

My friend and I decided to do one account for the two of us. We started out as Team GCG for GeoCaching Goddesses. But my brother and son started to join us, so we felt we needed a name change. I bought a date stamp and it had cool sayings to go with it (I got it for my Smash Book)one of the options was Hot Mess...so now we are Hot Mess.

MA & PA were the trail names we used when we did a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail in 1999. After our hike, we stayed in touch with many hikers and they always referred to us by our trail names. When we started caching in 2003, we were pleased to see that the name was still available.

The name comes from our real names Marielle and Paul

PAul

MA & PA were the trail names we used when we did a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail in 1999. After our hike, we stayed in touch with many hikers and they always referred to us by our trail names. When we started caching in 2003, we were pleased to see that the name was still available.

The name comes from our real names Marielle and Paul

PAul

I had many nicknames in high school so I use my real name as I get called that rarely.

How long did the hike take you and how long did the planning take? I have been enthralled with the Pacific Crest trail, just don't know if I'll ever have the time off to do it.

My name is actually from my license plate (AED8656), but there is a story behind that. I worked for the DMV at the time (long ago, in a galaxy far away), and asked a downstate office to send that set to us from their inventory. AEDdon was my newborn grandson at the time (now almost 16, and caches under cryptomancer), 86 was the year of my Mercedes Benz, and 56 - some other significant year. My husband goes by estral, but doesn't have an account, so we cache as a team.

I've been known to have a glass or three....

When I signed up for a camping forum years ago I needed a screen name. The site owner was named Dean, and used Dno (like Dean Martin's nickname shortened) and I just decided on Yno, because it sounds better than drunk or lush. And no one cane pronounce oenophile.

"Zaphod Beeblebrox" would have been cool too....just a bit wordy on cache logs

If I had typed it in I would have gotten a taken by another user message. The ZB account predates mine.

It was one of Bassonpilot's many sock puppet accounts.

Well there's a name from the distant past... I wish I remembered all of my sock puppet accounts.... Soylent Green is the only one I remember well...